Hearts Fanzine Help

Adi Dassler

I am looking for anyone who knows their stuff to advise me on how many issues there were of the following Hearts Fanzines;

No Idle Talk

Always The Bridesmaid

We've Got A Semi

Dead Ball

Big On Tynie

Maroon View

Are there any others i've missed.

Cheers for your help.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
I am looking for anyone who knows their stuff to advise me on how many issues there were of the following Hearts Fanzines;

No Idle Talk

I'll take a punt at 59 with some specials as well (song books etc)

I'll take a punt at 59 with some specials as well (song books etc)

I have an Issue 62 from November 2003.

Do not think it ran for much longer than that so not a bad guess chief.

There was a fanzine called "Suspect Device", wasn't there?

IIRC it was one of the better ones.

Correct Boris.

I make that 9;

No Idle Talk

Always The Bridesmaid

We've Got A Semi

Dead Ball

Big On Tynie

Maroon View

Jam Piece

Still, Musn't Grumble

Suspect Device

I wouldn't regard Planet Hearts as a fanzine in the traditional sense.

I used to always get ATB, mostly from that newsagent in the St James. Was always a good read, cannae mind at all when I last bought one, must have some up in the loft somewhere!

Didn't see as many as the others ones mentioned.

There was another one called 'Trophy Please'.

I used to love my fanzines. For the younger ones, imagine a life without the www.

Glasgow Hearts did The Hearts Supporter (IIRC) in the 80s - maybe longer. I've got some in my loft if anyone wants 'em.

There was another one called 'Trophy Please'.

I used to love my fanzines. For the younger ones, imagine a life without the www.

Vague memories of that one too BB, now you mention it.

So we have;

No Idle Talk

Always The Bridesmaid

We've Got A Semi

Dead Ball

Big On Tynie

Maroon View

Jam Piece

Still, Musn't Grumble

Suspect Device

Gorgie Wave

Trophy Please

Boof - if you are wanting rid i'll take them. Happy to pay. That goes for any other fanzines i need as well that people may have.

The Gorgie View which included the legendary "Karl Marx's Problem Page" where he always ended by challenging Max Weber to a square go (as well as accuse all and sundry in the football world of sufferring from false class concsciousness)! Plus it had a habit of making Ally McCoist look like Jimmy Saville.

Wonder if my mate wants his typewriter back....?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

There were 2 issues of Big on Tynie, 5 issues of Trophy Please and 1 of Suspect Device. They were all mine.:curtain:

There was another one called 'Gorgie View'.

I may be wrong but the first one or two issues of "The Hearts Supporter" was fairly humorous and may have been independant.

Thereafter it seemed to become more official as popularity grew. I was a regular buyer of all of them but no idea of numbers. I'll probably come across a huge stash in my parents' attic if I ever search it.

I remember always the bridesmaid from my years at highschool. My mate was a contributor for a while. Sibbald, If you still view this forum and you see this post, pm me, heavytrunks.

Glasgow Hearts did The Hearts Supporter (IIRC) in the 80s - maybe longer. I've got some in my loft if anyone wants 'em.

Have a few copys of the Hearts Supporter from the late 60's.

Another one not mentioned yet and not sure if it was regular thing or not.Was one from Rainbow Hearts.

rain1_thumb.jpg

No Idle Talk - issue 68 was the last one we did.

Nobody on this thread knows anything about fanzines because they didnt remember the daddy of them all

'Heartbeat' produced by Mancester Hearts (Mike Van Fleck)

Gorgie View had maybe 6 issues (the fanzine feud guy)

I think there was another one called " the boys done well (almost)". Only 2 or 3 issues

I'd say Dead Ball did about 17 issues

Jam Piece about 10

Nobody on this thread knows anything about fanzines because they didnt remember the daddy of them all

I think there was another one called " the boys done well (almost)". Only 2 or 3 issues

Jam Piece about 10

Precisely. I still have a book somewhere called 'El Tel Was A Space Alien' which was a compilation of different fanzines, published in the late 1980s. Bradford's City Gent was one, Manchester City's King of the Kippax another. There was also The Chelsea Independent, Leyton Orienteer, Gillingham's magnificently named Brian Moore's Head (Looks Uncannily Like The London Planetarium), Wealdstone's Elmslie Ender... and Heartbeat!

I thought NIT's heyday was when, circa 1995-8, it used to have match reports featuring 'the hype', 'the match' and analysis of the aftermath. The special commemorative Scottish Cup winners issue was the best one ever IMO; and throughout, it ****ed all over ATB. Well done Craig: it's much missed.

You've missed the one where one of the authors received death threats'

No, I've mentioned my one (unless there was another fanzine ed who received a death threat via a 4am phonecall)

Jam Piece about 10

TGV had seven issues Craig. Plus, that feud we had, looking back, was a chuckle (think I've still got that two-page letter you sent out to all the fanzines which Dead Ball published :10900:).

Jam Piece did 12 (I remember Stevie refunding me my subscription when I asked him when issue 13 was coming out - although I believe they did a one-off many years later which may count as #13).

I think you're spot on with Dead Ball's figure.

Lest we also forget "Five Jam Parts".

Hearts Heritage
No, I've mentioned my one (unless there was another fanzine ed who received a death threat via a 4am phonecall)

Far more than just one phone call. :hang:

I still have numerous copies of Five Jam Parts in my garage! A charity collaboration between

NIT

ATB

Dead Ball

Gorgie View

Trophy Please

Let's not forget Alec Jones and his Hearts Review magazine which pre-dates most (if not all) Hearts fanzines.

The Gorgie Wave did 7 issues.

If anyone would like copies at 50p a pop, send me a PM and I'll .... ahem .... have a word with the editor .. :th_o:

GC

The People's Chimp

If anyone would like copies at 50p a pop, send me a PM and I'll .... ahem .... have a word with the editor .. :th_o:

GC

You got a few kicking about? ?3.50 for 7 issues? :stuart:

There were 2 issues of Big on Tynie, 5 issues of Trophy Please and 1 of Suspect Device. They were all mine.:curtain:

There was another one called 'Gorgie View'.

Are you a fan of Sheffield Wednesday?

Jam Piece about 10

Craig

Can you clear your PM box please - you are full up

The Boys Done Well (Almost) was done by my co-editor of the GW, Rob Mathison. I think he only did one issue that I can remember.

Does anyone know what was the last ATB ??

To add to the mix, there was also the Gorgie Granite News (Aberdeen SC) and Capital Heartlines (London Hearts) - both pretty short-lived in the 80's.

As someone has mentioned, the Hearts Supporter (Glasgow SC) actually started in the late 60's and ran for 3 or 4 seasons until about 1972. Donald Ford wrote a regular column. It then disbanded and, confusingly started again in the 80's with Vol.4 (or is it 5? cant remember)

GC

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Are you a fan of Sheffield Wednesday?

Not so much now. I loved that great team they had in the early 90s - Woods, Nilsson, Palmer, Harkes, Waddle, Sheridan, Warhurst, Bright, Hurst etc. Chris Waddle is one of my all-time favourite non-Hearts players - a genius.

I also got in with they guys from a Sheffield Wednesday fanzine, 'Boddle - Taking The Wednesday To Insanity". They had a soft spot for Hearts after '86 and we exchanged some copies. Trophy Please had a bit of Wednesday stuff and Boddle had some Hearts stuff.

Not so much now. I loved that great team they had in the early 90s - Woods, Nilsson, Palmer, Harkes, Waddle, Sheridan, Warhurst, Bright, Hurst etc. Chris Waddle is one of my all-time favourite non-Hearts players - a genius.

I also got in with they guys from a Sheffield Wednesday fanzine, 'Boddle - Taking The Wednesday To Insanity". They had a soft spot for Hearts after '86 and we exchanged some copies. Trophy Please had a bit of Wednesday stuff and Boddle had some Hearts stuff.

It might have been TP#5 that you incorporated some of Boddle's use of language but I remember that particular issue well - my English teacher inflicted Chaucer on us prior to that edition coming out. As soon as I read that edition there was a groan mixed with a chuckle. Wasn't "issue-eds" one of the terms you used?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
It might have been TP#5 that you incorporated some of Boddle's use of language but I remember that particular issue well - my English teacher inflicted Chaucer on us prior to that edition coming out. As soon as I read that edition there was a groan mixed with a chuckle. Wasn't "issue-eds" one of the terms you used?

:smiley2:

It may have been - or possible 'ed-issue'! 'Mint' was the one that stuck out also. Salad days.:2thumbsup:

GC

PM Sent.:2thumbsup:

'Heartbeat' produced by Mancester Hearts (Mike Van Fleck) Gorgie View had maybe 6 issues (the fanzine feud guy)

Jam Piece about 10

i did, mentioned it in a post above

BTW Craig, it takes two to feud. :10900:

Anyway, I seem to remember NIT having a cracking feud with ATB - something about a five-a-side football match. :2thumbsup:

Did you once see a ghost?

I thought the guy from Trophy Please once saw a ghost. And fainted.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Did you once see a ghost?

I thought the guy from Trophy Please once saw a ghost. And fainted.

Holy feck. How do you know about that?

Holy feck. How do you know about that?

It was in the Evening News. I just have a memory for remembering obscure things from the past. It was 1993 or 1994?

There was a fanzine called "Suspect Device", wasn't there?

IIRC it was one of the better ones.

Sarah Ferguson on the front cover of issue 1 IIRC.

BTW Craig, it takes two to feud. :10900:

I'm not biting :smiley2:

Anyway, I seem to remember NIT having a cracking feud with ATB - something about a five-a-side football match. :2thumbsup:

No feud - fact - 18- 7

fanzine - Hearts - NIT  12    995_thumb.jpg

No feud - fact - 18- 7

Wasn't asking you to bite - just jesting ;)

I remember that NIT#12 cover well (purely because that issue came out for the same game as my mag's birth - a 2-1 loss to Celtic where we had four serious penalty claims and only got one: no change there then). I also remember the "where's my blunderbuss they've made me spill my sherry" response to that cover in ATB#8.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
It was in the Evening News. I just have a memory for remembering obscure things from the past. It was 1993 or 1994?

HA! It was in the Evening News in November '94. I 'saw' a ghost in the old Scotsman building - only the whole thing was made up :curtain:.

But how did you make the connection with Trophy Please? There was no mention of that in the article and no mention of the ghost in TP.

You're freakin' me out!

HA! It was in the Evening News in November '94. I 'saw' a ghost in the old Scotsman building - only the whole thing was made up :curtain:.

But how did you make the connection with Trophy Please? There was no mention of that in the article and no mention of the ghost in TP.

You're freakin' me out!

There were a couple of clues in a TP of season 93/94 of where you were working at the time. Maybe Bill put 2+2 together?

What about the Hearts Review produced by The Danderhall Hearts Supporters club the first was produced on August 1984 and cost 20p this review was produced monthly right up to 1990 the last one produced was volume 6 number 3 the production and material got better as time went on. I have retrieved them all and having a great read bringing back some happy memories good times, does anybody else remember the HEARTS REVIEW

Archived