World Cup Winners 2010 -- just who ?

CJGJ

Spain -- must be along with Brazil the certain finalists depending upon the draw.

What a great final that would be -- best of Europe v best of South America

And for the purists a great footballing final (hopefully !!)

Spain -- must be along with Brazil the certain finalists depending upon the draw.

I'm going to put myself on the line and say New Zealand....if we get a good draw!

At this juncture, it's highly likely that either Brazil or Spain will win it - but I'd be amazed if both end up in the final. Most World Cups feature a team who grind their way through against the odds; and it is after all a Cup competition. Cup competitions are largely predicated upon luck.

At present, my pecking order is:

1. Brazil

2. Spain

3. Holland

4. England

5. Germany

6. Argentina

7. Italy

8. France

9. Portugal

10. Cote d'Ivoire

But that could all completely change by next June. There are so many factors involved: what the draw for both the groups and knock-out stage looks like, how much luck a team enjoys, how sides adjust to the conditions, and so on and so on. And it's not really about who the best side in the world definitively is; it's merely about who wins a Cup competition over a period of five weeks.

Its difficult to argue that Brazil and Spain don't look the standouts. After them England may have the next best squad but personally i'd never back them ahead of Italy or Germany who have a better tournament menatality. Holland, Portugal and the Argies will be hard to beat and maybe the Ivory Coast will become the first Africans since 1990 to make the 1/4.

Charlie-Brown

Tournaments are rarely that straightforward thankfully ..... I don't think a European team will win this time but Spain are our obvious favourites followed by Germany & Italy for the simple reason they know how to get to the medal stages of tournaments.

Its difficult to argue that Brazil and Spain don't look the standouts. After them England may have the next best squad but personally i'd never back them ahead of Italy or Germany who have a better tournament menatality. Holland, Portugal and the Argies will be hard to beat and maybe the Ivory Coast will become the first Africans since 1990 to make the 1/4.

Second Africans. Senegal made them in 2002.

Ah of course Shaun. My suspicion is they will still be too weak at the back and importantly in goal.

But at the back, that was true of Cameroon - however filthily they played - in 1990, and they ended up a few minutes from the semis, in another continent. We'll have to see what the draw says - but I wouldn't be surprised if three or four African teams make the last 16 in their home continent, two reach the quarters, and one - probably the Ivorians - get to the semis.

portobellojambo1

Think the winners will come from Europe.

South Africa will be in what is their Winter time, with temperatures not a million miles away from a decent summer in the South of England during the day, and relatively cold at night.

Although much could happen over the next few months I think Spain look good and, although I wouldn't imagine it will be popular on here, I think England could do very well.

Holland always seem to fall apart, Germany could do something but I've seen nothing to suggest any of the South American countries need be feared this time round. Brazil didn't impress me overly in qualifying, a few good players, but no "sit up wow" factor.

Would like to see either the Australians or the United States do well, but again I've not seen enough of them to make any sort of judgements.

Teams I hope fail miserably, Argentina and France, neither of whom I believe deserve to be there.

jamboinglasgow
Which African teams have qualified? Ghana? Cameroon?

South Africa (obviously)

Ghana

Ivory Coast

Nigeria

Cameroon

Algeria

portobellojambo1
Which African teams have qualified? Ghana? Cameroon?

Algeria, Cameroon, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Ghana and South Africa.

Charlie-Brown
South Africa (obviously)

Ghana

Ivory Coast

Nigeria

Cameroon

Algeria

Cheers JiG

Don't know too much about Algeria, know South Africa haven't enjoyed the best preparations but on their day the other 4 African teams could easily cause problems or a knock out upset for one of the more fancied teams......hopefully England. :)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It will take something special to beat Brazil.

I know it was a friendly and England had a few out but the gap in class was clear to see against Brazil, England are better under Capello but they still lack that extra something that makes the difference.

One injury to Rooney and the dream is over for Engerland.

At this juncture, it's highly likely that either Brazil or Spain will win it - but I'd be amazed if both end up in the final. Most World Cups feature a team who grind their way through against the odds; and it is after all a Cup competition. Cup competitions are largely predicated upon luck.

At present, my pecking order is:

1. Brazil

2. Spain

3. Holland

4. England

5. Germany

6. Argentina

7. Italy

8. France

9. Portugal

10. Cote d'Ivoire

But that could all completely change by next June. There are so many factors involved: what the draw for both the groups and knock-out stage looks like, how much luck a team enjoys, how sides adjust to the conditions, and so on and so on. And it's not really about who the best side in the world definitively is; it's merely about who wins a Cup competition over a period of five weeks.

I tend to agree with that top 3.

Portugal might be moved up that group if they get their act together.

All I will say is going by history...every time the World Cup has been held in the Southern Hemisphere its been a south american winner...so I would say although they have their problems...Argentina and espesh their manager have a fateful relationship with the world cup despite there much publicised terrible tactics and really struggling to qualify.

It don't matter what the in form team is now, theres a good 6 or 7 months to go to South Africa, so in-form teams like England can lose momentum/be affected by the nation/media pressures. Plus, all depends which key players may not make it for certain teams through injury.

Charlie-Brown
All I will say is going by history...every time the World Cup has been held in the Southern Hemisphere its been a south american winner...so I would say although they have their problems...Argentina and espesh their manager have a fateful relationship with the world cup despite there much publicised terrible tactics and really struggling to qualify.

It don't matter what the in form team is now, theres a good 6 or 7 months to go to South Africa, so in-form teams like England can lose momentum/be affected by the nation/media pressures. Plus, all depends which key players may not make it for certain teams through injury.

All valid points Mr Mole. :smiley2:

Could I be the first to point out that you can never write off the Germans? And please note, while all other national teams are known by the name of their country, Germany shall always be referred to in dark tones as "the Germans".

Italy are slow starters. Brazil play with ten attackers. The African sides are "just happy to be there" (if that's not racist, I don't know what is). Holland are too intelligent for their own good, and bound to fall out with each other. And Spain are great under-achiev... no, sorry, that's England now, isn't it?

Bring it on. I can't wait. :2thumbsup:

Charlie-Brown
Could I be the first to point out that you can never write off the Germans? And please note, while all other national teams are known by the name of their country, Germany shall always be referred to in dark tones as "the Germans".

Italy are slow starters. Brazil play with ten attackers. The African sides are "just happy to be there" (if that's not racist, I don't know what is). Holland are too intelligent for their own good, and bound to fall out with each other. And Spain are great under-achiev... no, sorry, that's England now, isn't it?

Bring it on. I can't wait. :2thumbsup:

England's arch-enemies The Germans, Argentina & now Portugal have all qualified ..... they're bound to play at least one of them surely if they have any hopes or pretensions of making the latter stages ....... better start practising your penalties. ;)

Thig Ar Latha

Not only will I give you the finalists, I'll give you the result!

Brazil 3 Italy 2

:2thumbsup:

England's arch-enemies The Germans, Argentina & now Portugal have all qualified ..... they're bound to play at least one of them surely if they have any hopes or pretensions of making the latter stages ....... better start practising your penalties. ;)

I've been thinking exactly this. I think we'll get either Portugal or Holland in the group stages - and almost certainly, a quarter-final awaits against Diego's men. Uh oh...

Not only will I give you the finalists, I'll give you the result!

Brazil 3 Italy 2

:2thumbsup:

I'd love a really good final for a change - but we haven't had one since 1986. :43:

loveofthegame

If Spain go to the tournament with all their key players fit, most notably the somewhat injury prone Torres, then i can't see past them

Up The Junction

holland were the best team in a terrible qualifying section, how does that make them in contention to win the world cup?

spain and brazil are miles ahead - and then u have the italians and the germans who are always good in the euros and world cups

We will make the last 4. Im confident in that and I believe all going well that we can go even further. Ive never been confident like this since Italia 90.

The conditions are perfect. Top manager, winning mentality instilled in the team, we will as always bring the biggest and best support, the climate is ideal for us compared to other countries, and our squad is definitely good enough.

holland were the best team in a terrible qualifying section, how does that make them in contention to win the world cup?

spain and brazil are miles ahead - and then u have the italians and the germans who are always good in the euros and world cups

Because Holland's form over a period of some years now has been superb. FIFA put them a clear third in the rankings, which is absolutely right IMO; what won't help them, though, is they probably won't be seeded, so will be the team everyone wants to avoid. Don't forget how devastating they were against Italy and France at Euro 08 either: they're due a good World Cup really.

Up The Junction
Because Holland's form over a period of some years now has been superb. FIFA put them a clear third in the rankings, which is absolutely right IMO; what won't help them, though, is they probably won't be seeded, so will be the team everyone wants to avoid. Don't forget how devastating they were against Italy and France at Euro 08 either: they're due a good World Cup really.

its fair enough beating france and italy but then they get knocked out at 1/4 final stage by russia, they havn't won a world cup yet and this certainly isn't the best squad they've had, especially defence which is average at best

We will make the last 4. Im confident in that and I believe all going well that we can go even further. Ive never been confident like this since Italia 90.

The conditions are perfect. Top manager, winning mentality instilled in the team, we will as always bring the biggest and best support, the climate is ideal for us compared to other countries, and our squad is definitely good enough.

Mate - can you remember what your feelings were before Italia 90? I thought we'd come 2nd in the group behind Holland, and lose in the quarters to Italy: I had us sixth in the pecking order going in. All that happened was that Brazil and Holland blew it, which moved us up; and also that Argentina losing to Cameroon through our part of the draw wide open. Had they won Group B, I've always thought Argentina would've beaten us in Naples in the last eight, on penalties.

The highest I've ever put England before a World Cup was 2nd, after the 0-0 draw in Rome in 1997. It didn't last though: that game represented a peak, and decline set in instead.

Charlie-Brown

Before every tournament, the English just like Hibs fans convince themselves that this time it's going to be different.....of course it never is, it's always the same, often gallant failure like Scotland except in a big team way but failure none the less and often in predictable and repeated circumstances.......and it is always the same....until the 'next time' ...... and then it repeats .... of course the fear is that England just like Hibs might actually win some day, one day .......... and that's what we always end up thinking too..."maybe this time it will be different" ..... :biggrin:

Era Macaroons
Wales didn't qualify :10900:

Never rule out Italy!!

the I Tys are always there or thereabouts.....at least they were good at football

With the referee finally signalling the end of a tortuous game in Montevideo, the cast list for next summer's party is complete. It is as follows:

Probable Pot 1 (seeded teams)

South Africa

Germany

Brazil

Italy

Spain

England

France

Argentina

Probable Pot 2 (rest of Europe)

Holland

Portugal

Switzerland

Greece

Serbia

Denmark

Slovakia

Slovenia

Probable Pot 3 (Asia, Oceania, North and Central America)

USA

Mexico

Australia

Honduras

Japan

South Korea

New Zealand

North Korea

Probable Pot 4 (Africa, remainder of South America)

Cameroon

Chile

Cote d'Ivoire

Paraguay

Uruguay

Algeria

Nigeria

Ghana

The above is provisional, and based on FIFA employing the same seeding formula as in 2006. FIFA being FIFA, that's entirely open to question.

Era Macaroons
With the referee finally signalling the end of a tortuous game in Montevideo, the cast list for next summer's party is complete. It is as follows:

South Africa

Germany

Brazil

Italy

Spain

England

France

Argentina

Holland

Portugal

Switzerland

Greece

Serbia

Denmark

Slovakia

Slovenia

USA

Mexico

Australia

Honduras

Japan

South Korea

New Zealand

North Korea

Cameroon

Chile

Cote d'Ivoire

Paraguay

Uruguay

Algeria

Nigeria

Ghana

The above is provisional, and based on FIFA employing the same seeding formula as in 2006. FIFA being FIFA, that's entirely open to question.

England:curtain:ya dik

England:curtain:ya dik

Haha! It does look awfully like England will be seeded as things stand. There's a slight danger that a fall in our world ranking sabotages that - but the rankings are only one part of the formula FIFA use. It's France being seeded and Holland not which strikes me as most eyebrow raising.

After that, though, it's anyone's guess - because FIFA will be desperate to ensure South Africa's draw is as soft as possible, and to help other African sides as well. I bet you a pound to a penny that South Africa draw a ridiculously weak side from Pot 2 - Slovakia or Slovenia, say - and beyond that, if FIFA decide to put the other African teams and those from, say, CONCACAF in the same pot, because non-European sides cannot draw a side from their own continent in the first round, South Africa would suddenly have a one in three chance of drawing Honduras.

At this point, the World Cup always becomes more about politics than fairness. I just hope they don't unbalance the draw as wildly as in 2002.

France to win it!

Hey - if they put this chap in charge come the finals, then sure:

wenger.jpg

Even this chap might give them a chance:

tigana.jpg

It's a pretty fair bet, of course, that Wenger "did not see ze incident" last night. Just like FIFA - who God love 'em, have made no mention of the handball in their match report. Pravda, eat your heart out.

Era Macaroons

article-1147543-038C7B0E000005DC-958_468x354.jpg

Haha! It does look awfully like England will be seeded as things stand. There's a slight danger that a fall in our world ranking sabotages that - but the rankings are only one part of the formula FIFA use. It's France being seeded and Holland not which strikes me as most eyebrow raising.

After that, though, it's anyone's guess - because FIFA will be desperate to ensure South Africa's draw is as soft as possible, and to help other African sides as well. I bet you a pound to a penny that South Africa draw a ridiculously weak side from Pot 2 - Slovakia or Slovenia, say - and beyond that, if FIFA decide to put the other African teams and those from, say, CONCACAF in the same pot, because non-European sides cannot draw a side from their own continent in the first round, South Africa would suddenly have a one in three chance of drawing Honduras.

At this point, the World Cup always becomes more about politics than fairness. I just hope they don't unbalance the draw as wildly as in 2002.

TBH I think the English will be the team to conquer for the tourney, mostly based on the strength of your Premiership and a Mr Rooney who will form a great pack.

English club sides have curved a niche

respected above all

whilst using the best of jonny 4ner

cant wait for your semis pen defeat :57:

Hey - if they put this chap in charge come the finals, then sure:

Even this chap might give them a chance:

It's a pretty fair bet, of course, that Wenger "did not see ze incident" last night. Just like FIFA - who God love 'em, have made no mention of the handball in their match report. Pravda, eat your heart out.

I know, I just read the FIFA match report. Laughable. Completely laughable. Do these guys live in the real world? :smiley2:

Brazil get my vote at the moment, although Spain also have a great chance.

England are probably in a group of teams who could also be there or thereabouts, along with Italy, Netherlands, Argentina and, inevitably, Germany.

From the "less-fancied" teams, I reckon the USA and Chile might spring a few surprises.

Get some cash on the original Ronaldo to be top scorer. Won me a decent wedge in 2002, wasn't too far off in 2006 and is banging them in in Serie A again. It would probably take a fairly remarkable run of injuries for Dunga to call him up, but it might be worth as small punt.

Inspector Rex
It's France being seeded and Holland not which strikes me as most eyebrow raising.

The way they do the seeding has two parts to it though - the world rankings, which are fairly even between the two, and the two most recent World Cups. In 2002, we all know France were diabolical, but Holland didn't qualify. So France get points counting towards seeding while Holland get a big fat 0. In '06 France reached the final, Holland went out in the last 16, so there's another substantial points difference. It'd be those that clinches it for them IMO.

Not looking forward to the group stage draw, chances are we (Australia) will get a group we'll have no hope of getting out of, there's good teams in all 3 other pots, and the weakest ones are in ours so we can't draw them.

South Africa

Germany

Brazil

Italy

Spain

England

France

Argentina

Holland

Portugal

Switzerland

Greece

Serbia

Denmark

Slovakia

Slovenia

USA

Mexico

Australia

Honduras

Japan

South Korea

New Zealand

North Korea

Cameroon

Chile

Cote d'Ivoire

Paraguay

Uruguay

Algeria

Nigeria

Ghana

Holland or Portugal

Mexico or Australia

Chile or Ivory Coast

= 3 tricky games for starters :10900:

Archived