France v. Ireland

Cheile

I'm fully Irish, and not the least bit embarrassed about it. I was just picking up on something I found amusing in what someone else posted. :smiley2:

I see your point about the extra referees, but that doesn't alter the fact that they weren't in place for this game. Mistakes like tonight's happen from time to time in football, and that adds to the drama of the game, IMO.

aye got the wrong end of the stick on that one, must be my lucky side as put keane first goal scorer 9-1! still gutted at the outcome

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eire have regularly cheated by playing folk that are not Irish.

They would give anyone a cap if it helped them.

They also have Mcgeady....tough s**t in my view.

Frank Sidebottom
Indeed, I don't have a lot of time, in fact none, for plastic paddy Irishmen (aka Celtic fans) but boy do I detest the French. Bunch of smelly, gay, cheating cowards.

Cheating dagos.

Always nice to see the intellectuals on JKB have their say.

henry had the look of a cheat tonight at the final whistle,could'nt look at anyone and probably just wanted to get off the pitch.how dunne could pat him on the knee after he has cheated his side out of the world cup,should have chinned him.perhaps monsieur platini will say tomorrow the game will be replayed,dont think so.henry should be banned for the next few games and fined.this game only goes to show that football needs video refs as the mistakes are becoming huge and costly for the teams on the receiving end of them

Ade the Jambo

Having watched the Sky1 replays several times, the first time the ball hits Henri's arm could charitably be construed as accidental, particularly from the face-on camera. However from the reverse angle he clearly pushes the ball a second time to control it. The ref probably couldn't see it as there were many players between him and the incident. There is no such excuse for the assistant ref as Henri was right on the byline and all the players were behind the ball, hence the need for a slight cut back to Gallas.

Conclusion - the assistant made a mistake (either by accident or design), Henri is a cheat (but couldn't really be expected to ask for the goal to be disallowed and many have gone before him with far worse) and Ireland were a bit unlucky. The rest doesn't matter.

I was furious at first. Now I've had a wee think about it. If I could get my country to the world cup finals with a deliberate handball I would. It isn't like he planned it for days ahead, it was a split second reflex thing. Maybe something he'll be ashamed of for ever, but he did it.

Up The Junction

the ball hit henry at first, then he flicked at it again with his hand to stop it going out! which u can call cheating or just natural reactions. tbh i think he probably thought the ref was gonna blow anyway, its not like he knew the ref was gonna give the goal regardless - was he to turn around and say 'ref i handled that' and possibly stop his team reaching the world cup? as if anyone on here would have

Era Macaroons
I was furious at first. Now I've had a wee think about it. If I could get my country to the world cup finals with a deliberate handball I would. It isn't like he planned it for days ahead, it was a split second reflex thing. Maybe something he'll be ashamed of for ever, but he did it.

yer aff yer hied......you do that when u play against against yer pals in the park?

but its ok at that level.

no ....and...no

yer aff yer hied......you do that when u play against against yer pals in the park?

but its ok at that level.

no ....and...no

It's an instinct thing. Like I said it isn't as if he planned it.

Era Macaroons
the ball hit henry at first, then he flicked at it again with his hand to stop it going out! which u can call cheating or just natural reactions. tbh i think he probably thought the ref was gonna blow anyway, its not like he knew the ref was gonna give the goal regardless - was he to turn around and say 'ref i handled that' and possibly stop his team reaching the world cup? as if anyone on here would have

If you stop the ball going out with you hand....must be cheating ...NAW?

oh he didnt mean it....pluuuuuuuuuuseeeeee

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that he didn't head onto the pitch at the start of the match planning it.

I don't think it's right but it is, to a certain extent, understandable.

Geoff Kilpatrick
If you stop the ball going out with you hand....must be cheating ...NAW?

Yes, it's cheating.

The point is, you would have probably done the same thing yourself if you thought you could get away with it.

Yes, it's cheating.

The point is, you would have probably done the same thing yourself if you thought you could get away with it.

Anyone would if they thought it was getting their team to the world cup.

Era Macaroons
Yes, it's cheating.

No.

I play

FOOTball.

:43:

Era Macaroons
I'm not saying that. I'm saying that he didn't head onto the pitch at the start of the match planning it.

I don't think it's right but it is, to a certain extent, understandable.

understandable.......absolutley NOT

when you play a game...play by its rules.

Era Macaroons
Anyone would if they thought it was getting their team to the world cup.

the sad thing is....he will be cheered for cheating....cos the flagging french have now got there on their asses...through his gamesmanship.......and 1/2 the french think you can use your hands anyway:stuart:

I'm not all that bothered about international football, but have to say congratulations to France. :2thumbsup:

I almost felt sorry for the oirish, and then Aiden McGeady came on. They then proceeded to lose all my sympathy, and I cheered France from then on. Aiden McGeady playing for Ireland means that they will not receive anything approaching sympathy from me if he is on the pitch.

I almost felt sorry for the oirish, and then Aiden McGeady came on. They then proceeded to lose all my sympathy, and I cheered France from then on. Aiden McGeady playing for Ireland means that they will not receive anything approaching sympathy from me if he is on the pitch.

I think you will find that most on jkb will agree entirely.I am a bit pi55ed of with Henry as he is a player i had some respect for but even before his cheating hand ball he was going down very easily to say the least.Shame on you Thierry.Another self riteous erse is Platinni.Whats the bet we hear nothing from him or UEFA over the incident.

i thought it was funny especially when big eck was laughing after it to rub it in :10900:

how many times have we been cheated and nobody gives a toss

i say if it gets right up those irish loving celtic fans and mcgeady then im all for it so GIRUY

I feel sorry for the folk from Ireland. However for the born and bred Glaswegians that beleive themselves to be Irish, who have no Irish relatives and have never been in the country the claim to be part of I would just like to say get it right up ye!

Thing is, none of the Irish players seemed too annoyed with Henry. It was a tacit admission that they knew, had the same situation arose in their favour, they too would have tried to get away with it.

A pretty sad indictment on the modern footballer to be honest, maybe human nature actually, but given how many dreams are broken by these acts of blatant cheating it is time referees were given every assitance to get things right. It is not just the players who miss out on a career defining highlight, but also the fans (as usual) missing out on the experience of following their country at a World Cup.

France do not have too far to go back to remember what it feels like to be on the end of a gross injustice, Laurent Blanc missing the world cup final after blatent cheating by Slaven Bilic ought to do it.

I don't suppose Platini and Blatter will be over noisy about this issue, they got the team they wanted through by hook and, definately, crook.

Henri may feel guilty but he will now forever be revered by the French Nation, who don't give a toss about fair play.

I heard on radio this morning he has blamed the Referee!

I would just like to take this opportunity to tell you all that I love Thierry Henry

well done son

IGTF

The Irish will be rightly fuming (though listening to radio debates last night and this morning a lot of them think they were in the finals if that goal had not stood.....................wrong, they were still in with a CHANCE only of making the finals) about the goal, but the over reaction from the British media is shocking, you will see goals given/pens not given for handballs every weekend, these are the breaks.

Let the Irish fume, but the wanting Henry to be punished for something that the ref (more so his assist ref) missed and goes on in every game is laughable.

Henri may feel guilty but he will now forever be revered by the French Nation, who don't give a toss about fair play.

I heard on radio this morning he has blamed the Referee!

Well it is for the ref to blow his whistle/make the call.

Miller Jambo 60

True Taz and probably i would have done the same, shame for the HONEST Irish:smiley2:

TBH do i care.

Doug.

The Irish will be rightly fuming (though listening to radio debates last night and this morning a lot of them think they were in the finals if that goal had not stood.....................wrong, they were still in with a CHANCE only of making the finals) about the goal, but the over reaction from the British media is shocking, you will see goals given/pens not given for handballs every weekend, these are the breaks.

Let the Irish fume, but the wanting Henry to be punished for something that the ref (more so his assist ref) missed and goes on in every game is laughable.

So if the ref misses a blatant dive or an off-the-ball punch we just accept it and move on?

Nothing will come of it, especially as he is French, and come the World Cup the same commentators who are frothing about him now will be calling him one of the greatest players of his generation.

But for many he will be the new Maradona of his generation: outrageously gifted, but really just a cheat.

Ireland would put at least 5 past us.

We went to Paris and it was a backs-to-the-wall-wonder-goal-smash-and-grab job, Ireland actually competed well and looked dangerous.

They competed but their performance was based on a defensive and high pressure game using 4-5-1. Just saying Scotland were and are capable of doing the same. The main difference is forward players who can make a difference in big games. Keane is a top class player and they have a couple of others like Duff, McGeady and Doyle who can also score. Scotland rely heavily on McFadden but he lacks the pace to be a genuine threat most of the time.

Well it is for the ref to blow his whistle/make the call.

The ref was unsighted so was powerless in this situation. That happens at times. The person who handled the ball was Henri and he should just fess up that he deliberately did it and would do it again, just like many other pros would and that the Ref had no chance to intervene due to the position of the incident and the players in the way. That way his reputation is saved.

Interesting comparison with the Eduardo situation though - Wenger said he had no problem with Eduardos ban as long as this was applied equally to all other cheating players in future. I wonder if that will happen?

The amount of people foaming at the mouth on this thread is laughable, In extra time France definatly had the upper hand and deserved to score.. it was only a matter of time. Henry did cheat, just in the same way as mcgeady cheats by throwing himself too easily to the ground every week in the spl.

Ireland still had over 10mins to find a goal but how many chances did they create? France deserved to go through.

Miller Jambo 60
The amount of people foaming at the mouth on this thread is laughable, In extra time France definatly had the upper hand and deserved to score.. it was only a matter of time. Henry did cheat, just in the same way as mcgeady cheats by throwing himself too easily to the ground every week in the spl.

Ireland still had over 10mins to find a goal but how many chances did they create? France deserved to go through.

All the Scots laughed at England when Diego punched the ball in the net, why should we bother about the Irish.

Doug.

France didn't really create very many chances though. They had more possession but no more clear cut chances than Ireland.

I don't love the Oirish, but they can feel pretty hard done by. What annoys me more is the medias love of Henry. He can do no wrong in some people's opinion, even Ronnie Whellan refused to criticise him last night FFS!

Henry is no saint. He's on the BBC today saying he told the ref it was a hnadball but the ref wouldn't listen to him. That's bollocks IMO. If he wanted the ref to know it was handball he would have gone straight to him as Robbie Fowler did whn he was "fouled" by David Seamen. Henry sprints off to celebrate, hardly trying to convince the ref it was a handball. He also dived in the '06 World Cuip which put Spain out.

If last night had been Cristiano Ronaldo I think the world would have been in uproar.

All the Scots laughed at England when Diego punched the ball in the net, why should we bother about the Irish.

Doug.

To me its more to do with fair play. Either you believe in it or you don't, regardless of whether it was done for or against you.

I prefer fair play but I recognise that mistakes are made. The difference is that afterwards the cuplrit should just fess up rather than divert the blame. Thats why I liked that Scotland spud who said he would dive to get an advantage. At least he was being honest to himself and others.

But for many he will be the new Maradona of his generation: outrageously gifted, but really just a cheat.

So is every player who handles the ball and dosent tell the referee (they may not be outrageously gifted, but still are 'cheats'). I think that covers 100% of the football players out there.

So is every player who handles the ball and dosent tell the referee (they may not be outrageously gifted, but still are 'cheats'). I think that covers 100% of the football players out there.

Some terrible cheating in this clip at about 2:45 in:

watch?v=pDWcuH5jacI&feature=PlayList&p=3701C84ABED34A63&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=50

Roddell Vereen

I hope FIFA investigate this and Henry gets banned from playing at the World Cup. Cheating *******!!

Not that I was particularly bothered who won this play-off, but I can't stand dishonest footballers. Play well and win the game fairly.

watch?v=pDWcuH5jacI&feature=PlayList&p=3701C84ABED34A63&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=50

Look at those filthy cheating Welsh bassas encroaching in the box before the pen is taken. Welsh ****.

Brilliant clip. Check out the fans behind the goal, health and safety would have a fit if that happened nowadays. :10900:

Archived