A Day of Unconfined Joy - 20 Feb 1994

JamboJay

I?d like to take this opportunity to wish all JKB people Mods, Lurkers, Posters, aye body ?n aw? body, hoo-ever??..

A HAPPY WAYNE FOSTER DAY

If I was a clever person, and not at the end of a 12 hour night shift I?d embed a photo or video but no doubt some one will be along to do the honours.

It took days and days before I could control the spontaneous outburst of giggles and guffaws that resulted from that goal, I?m wearing a happy countenance just at the thought off Super Wayne closing in on Ol? Bandy Legs, the ball coming of his shin, completely confusing JL and the rest is history???..

What a Happy Day!!!

One of the really memorable moments of 50 years supporting the Jambos!!!

PS Came across this link after watching it!!! Non HMFC!

A fantastic day indeed, I was right behind the goals for that one, had my son on my shoulders at the time, poor wee lad almost ended up flying out the ground LOL......... a day I will never forget thats for sure........:)

One of THE best days EVER.

Back then me and my old man used to get tickets for the wing stand at ER as you got a better atmosphere than standing on the uncovered terracing at the Dunbar End.

For this particular day our seats were right up against the fence between us and the vermin in the centre stand.

I was particularly friendly with a hobo in my work at the time who's dad (who hadn't been to a game for 20 years) won tickets for the game from Radio Forth.

When Robbo scored after 2 minutes we all went absolutely spare and the slagging of the hobos started immediately.

Most of them had been through it all before so decided to give me the old 'deafy' other than these two old codgers (to me) just along from me.

You know what its like, once you've got someone's ear its them that you focus on for the rest of the game so these two old gits got absolute pelters right up until they equalised.

This put my gas firmly at a peep as they swarmed round Henry's goal for almost the entire second half.

Just as we thought that the seige was over and we had escaped with a replay Sir Wayne decided to do what he'll always be a legend for.

None of us could believe it, which made the celebration ever more crazed than usual. Bedlam.

As you can imagine I went absolutely ape-sh*t, up on the fence and everything, while all the hobos in the main stand held their heads in their hands.

All except those two. Big mistake :laugh:

They got it tighter than anyone else has ever got it tight before. Ever.

The look on their faces was a complete and utter picture as I went crazy right in their faces. Both of them eventually trudged out, staring at their shoes, like the rest of the reptiles.

When the final whistle went cue more absolute mayhem up on the fence giving it the Bigun.

On the monday morning I went into work with a huge grin on my face, safe in the knowledge that I was going to have a brilliant day slagging off any hobo sympathiser I knew, but particularly looking forward to taking the absolute pash out of John, my hobo pal.

He stormed in at about 9 o'clock and said to me "Were you wearing a maroon jacket with a white t-shirt yesterday ?"

When I said I was he screamed "You b*stard, you were screaming abuse at my dad and grandad all the way through the game. When they got home all they were talking about was this mental Jambo who just spent 90 minutes yelling abuse at all the Hibs fans in the main stand. I fecking KNEW it was going to be you."

I don't think I've laughed so hard in all my life.

My brother ('Gibbster') was the mascot that day (possibly, at 13, the oldest mascot of all time).

I'm sure he won't mind me sharing the moment with you all:

2001540312352608870_rs.jpg

Possibly the most vivid memories of any game I've ever been to.

"Ah've never even heard o' Wayne Foster" says a grizzled old soak at the barrier (I loved the fact they were all kept behind barriers back then, like caged animals, whilst the usually victorious Jambos marched up the street).

Hobo logic at it's best - goal already declared null and void because they hadn't heard of our player. :D

Possibly the most vivid memories of any game I've ever been to.

"Ah've never even heard o' Wayne Foster" says a grizzled old soak at the barrier (I loved the fact they were all kept behind barriers back then, like caged animals, whilst the usually victorious Jambos marched up the street).

Hobo logic at it's best - goal already declared null and void because they hadn't heard of our player. :D

And the goal came from a 'precision distance pass' so beloved of Hibernian these days.

My lasting memory of that day is rather than jumping about like a dafty after Sir Wayne's goal was me and my mate totally p*****g ourselves laughing at what had just unfolded, in fact I laughed for days!

Enjoying a pint back in Fife after the match, Craig Levein arrives in the boozer and buys us a beer to celebrate and tells us as the goal went in Mo Johnston patted 'bandy' on the head and said 'Keep the legs shut Jim'

Quality!

A Happy Wayne Foster Day To All!

loveofthegame

My first away derby and earliest derby memory. Was in the family section to the left of the main body of Hearts supporters on those dodgy wooden seats! Was 1 month shy of my 7th birthday!

Proud to be able to say i was there!

Superb.

And Colinmaroon i've seen that Ibrahimovic goal on many occasions, not bad either!

2 memories form a fantastic day.

The ball never went in the back of the net at pace did it? It sort of trickled in. Lovely.

Does anyone remember the hibs fans fighting amongst themselves in their own end near the jambos section. ****ing hilarious.

FTH.

It was a great day. The walk up to town along Easter road/London road was fantastic.

To see they were greetin' was an understaement.

They were all over us for 90 mins, I remember just before we scored (from a Hibs corner I think) turning to my mate and saying we'd be lucky to get a draw here!

Happy days.

One of the most magnificent goal celebrations I've ever enjoyed!

I might have made the Sun's 'Wayne's Whirl' back page had 15 stone Grant Marshall not have been laying on top of me at the time.

Amazing first two minutes, terrible intervening 85 minutes, outstanding last three minutes.

...and one of the best nights in the Wheatsheaf ever.

Can't believe it is all of 14 years ago.

Buffalo Bill

It looks like we're going to get away with a draw here...

Not long to hold out now..

Surely we can't be this bad in the replay.

Hang On a minute, what's this?

He's through..

Hold on, calm down, it's only Wayne "The Brain" Foster

Oh my god, he might have got it right for once

It's going in

He's done it

YYeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssss!

"Foster......using his pace......a chance to win the match for Hearts......he's done it!"

I don't know the number of times I've heard Jock Brown's commentary for that goal. Probably the 2nd most rewound video in my childhood home (after The Camomile Lawn).

I'll always remember wee Simon Rennie (at the time!) with the 21st "key to the door" bouncing about at the T.V. gantry getting national exposure. Priceless!

Hearts Heritage

Something that's been sort of lost is that Hibs had a good chance to eqialise in injury time, but hey they blew it!

Great result, but that day was tinged with sadness for me as my Gran passed away earlier that morning.

Still, Wayne did cheer me and my Dad up.

Guest Prentice
I'll always remember wee Simon Rennie (at the time!) with the 21st "key to the door" bouncing about at the T.V. gantry getting national exposure. Priceless!

Classic tv that is.

Derek Johnstones face is priceless.

'You can hardly hear yourself think for that lads in the background'

Happy days

maroonlegions

magic day and night ,apart from the big cup win in 98 i have never felt so much emotion and joy , to see the hearts end erupt in sheer delirium and joy from the tv highlights was in its self quality and of course being there and being part of it was fantastic,the day after at work was utter bliss , spot the hobo was a good game that day.:evil::spongebob3::food-smiley-004::106Final:

Nelly Terraces

Best day out at the swamp bar none. Bedlam on a scale never likely to be surpassed.

He's through on goal, it's through bandies legs, I'm going ***** bananas! Lets go and get pished!!

Thanks Sir Wayne of Foz. Legend.

NT. FTH.

Nelly Terraces
My brother ('Gibbster') was the mascot that day (possibly, at 13, the oldest mascot of all time).

I'm sure he won't mind me sharing the moment with you all:

2001540312352608870_rs.jpg

Jammy kent, old Gibbster! Nice 1.

Is that Keith Hilsons son as the hobo mascot???? :P

chester copperpot

Absolute bedlam when that goal went in. We got battered off hibs that day, me and my 2 best mates at the time were right up the very top of the terracing, and just when we thought that we'd escaped with a draw, Fozzy does that and writes himself into Hearts history.

Even through all the dregs that we've endured since, its days like that which make me go back to Easter Road time and time again. I'd die if I missed a celebration like that.

Jammy kent, old Gibbster! Nice 1.

Is that Keith Hilsons son as the hobo mascot???? :P

He fired the ball straight into Henry's nuts in the warm up and then screwed the ball wide of an open goal.

Nelly Terraces
Without doubt, one of the best days ever at the fitba.

Not arf. Has to be in the top 3 of all time. I'd put it at 2 after the 98 final.

Best game at the hobohole by a long chalk. If I had one wish, it'd be to relive that moment when the ball went in, ***** beyond crazy in the Dunbar End, the filth at the end were shellshocked, needless to say, they got it tight, with some added tight on top.

HMFC FOREVER - FTH

Nelly Terraces
He fired the ball straight into Henry's nuts in the warm up and then screwed the ball wide of an open goal.

Top man. He sounds like Calum Elliott wi attitude!;)

Say hi fae me Gman, is he still living down in the smoke?

FTH.

If I ever become Provost of this City Wayne's the first one to get granted the freedom of it and Easter Road will become officially known as "Foster Road" to commemorate the event

And the goal came from a 'precision distance pass' so beloved of Hibernian these days.

Damn those unsporting cads! Us warrior-poet aesthetes have a different philosophy, wot wot. Losing, I believe is the term - and it was invented by the hibernians. Not something those industrial dullards along Dalry way would understand. :confused:

Here's my mates recollections of the game:

Memories indeed ? I can still vividly recall that section to the right of where the great man was standing on the fence conducting the fans, going stark staring raving 'eat the fence and kill the jambos' mental!

I also recall multiple coppers looking over their shoulders in the direction of the control box in utter disbelief as there radios crackled to life with a call along the lines of ?right lads a few of you go in and drag out the ring leaders?. I mind they shoved two into the seething throng of insane hibbies, the rest, about 50 of them, manning the gate and prising it shut (for it was the gates of mordor ? all hell would surely had broken loose had a few got out) and just seeing polis hats going about 50 feet up in the air! Im convinced they just grabbed the first person they saw and retired ASAP lol ? don?t blame em!!!

Fozzie Fozzie

And he was the fastest postman in the west!

Brilliant day.

Was in the old stand up the back that day and ended the game about 3 rows from the front at the end. Absolute bedlam.

Brilliant day.

Was in the old stand up the back that day and ended the game about 3 rows from the front at the end. Absolute bedlam.

Did you see me trying to vault the fence perchance ? :laugh:

1st ever derby for me and my twin brother, our Dad had us at the back of the Station Bar where my brother drew a picture of Jim Leighton on the blackboard with big bandy legs (it got a laugh don't think anyone realised how prophetic it was)

I'll always remember when the goal went in my Dad grabbed a hold of my brother turned to grab me only to see me get thrown into the air by the biggest Jambo i've ever seen (well i was 13 everyone looked huge) and the bloke only just caught me before i thudded off the barrier but i didn't care all i remember is cheering my head off! Walking out the ground singing "21 today, 21 today, we've got the key to the door we're 21 today" total class!

Lost my voice for about 3 days after Fozzies goal - the only thing that ruined it was that I could only croak and grin at the hobos when I eventually got to work.

I always remember leaving the ground behind a fellow Jambo who had the foresight to have 21 printed on the back of his shirt - as he passed the caged in hobos at the end of Albion Road he just turned his back to let them have a good look - the expressions on their faces were priceless.

Always remember afterwards approaching the corner of London Road/Leith Walk and saw the sight of a bunch of Hibbies to emotionally insecure to deal with a defeat (I believe they call themselves casuals). Anyway, they charged at those Jambos present and we legged it.

I've personally never run so fast but myself and a good few others made it to Princes Street. Turning round looking to see if we had escaped the baying horde, we came across one Hibby who was clearly faster (and thicker) than his pals.

Now I didn't get involved with what happened next, but one or two other Jambos decided to physically inform this reptile of what it is like to be outnumbered.

I proceeded to Burger King to get some nosh before catch a train back to Newcastle (where I was living at the time). This thin rake of a boy clad in green approaches me to inform me that Hearts were ****e. His next comment was: "Whit er yiz laughin at?" I replied: "Firstly if we're ****e and we've won today, what does that make Hibs? Secondly, if you don't like seeing your team get beat, give up watching football."

Not content, he is still wanting satisfaction. Upon which I get up from my seat and he realises he is somewhat dwarfed by your's truly. (a six foot odd fat ******* occasionally has the odd advantage). I was just going to ignore the wee scrote but was treated to this pathetic so-called hard man offerring his profound apologies. I proceed to Waverley chuckling like mad.

Pity we bottled it at Ibrox in the next round. The supporters were up for it, sadly, the players were not.

Archived