Is anyone watching this on BCC1 - Boys behind bars?

c41rns

Anyone see this... weegie **** ... union jacks .. Rangers Shrine's ... Junkies ... :mad:

Aye, absolutely hilarious.

Its pure barry ken min. I'm gona like slash cu*ts and that eh ken.

We just recognised one of the boys that my wife used to help look after when he was a young kid. Very sad (and a bit scary) to see how he's turned out.

We just recognised one of the boys that my wife used to help look after when he was a young kid. Very sad (and a bit scary) to see how he's turned out.

I was just about to say the same thing Moe. Whilst we often laugh at so-called 'neds' some of the guys on that programme have desperately sad stories to tell.

Some of their behaviour is pretty brutal but when you've been punted round foster homes and hostels since 7 years old then what sort of life are you going to have?

Dr Ian Malcolm

I remember the initial programme "Boys Behind Bars". This one was a year on. The only one who seemed to have sorted himself out was the big ginger lad who had been in for 4 years.

Ironically, the biggest Jake wasn't even the focus of the programme - he was the brother of the bald guy from Saltcoats - sitting in the room with all the Hun stuff. The state that boy was in - and he was the so called "good un".

Watched it last night as I followed the prog last year.

Some of them have been failed by the system but some of them are also the systems hardest cases to deal with.... pretty tragic, also shows how benifitial doing a trade is whilst in side....

Only one boys on the straight and narrow... he was given the longest sentence and was the only one to have carried out a trade whilst inside.

Theirs a debate coming up re; ned culture, missed when it was tho.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

After the junkie burd had had a miscarriage (which I obviously don't find funny), she came out with this belter,

"Jamie, I've named the wayne after ye, I've named her Jamo!"

Cue fits of laughter between me and the missus.

After the junkie burd had had a miscarriage (which I obviously don't find funny), she came out with this belter,

"Jamie, I've named the wayne after ye, I've named her Jamo!"

Cue fits of laughter between me and the missus.

Some how I dint think she had a miscarraige.... 3 weeks pregnant and she said it looked like a girl? Emmmmm think she was just trying to get his attention for some reason.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Some how I dint think she had a miscarraige.... 3 weeks pregnant and she said it looked like a girl? Emmmmm think she was just trying to get his attention for some reason.

Ah ok. I went and made some toast for a minute and missed a bit. I assumed she was telling the truth and thought she was 3 months pregnant.

Still funny though.

Ah ok. I went and made some toast for a minute and missed a bit. I assumed she was telling the truth and thought she was 3 months pregnant.

Still funny though.

haha, was funny.

Wouldnt have fancied being the camera man, some mental moments with complete ****wits.

The police need to take a harder stance on people who use the police for domestic situations, think that junkie bird made statements then withdrew them about 5 times depending on how her relationship was with the guy.

If the guys broke the law, do him..... the ambulance folk seen him threaten the kid and its mother, they could have been witnesses.

found it very sad to watch especially as a father of three teenagers and the problems it brings. What I do firmly believe though is although they all have had no guidance and have reasons to be the way they are it still is not an excuse. Many others have came from impoverished and broken home backgrounds and became something in society despite the bad deck of cards dealt. Each one of them was offered and given help but unfortunately cut loose again when released and it was easier to go back to the old ways than reform. Sad to see and I think it is another example of how substances have blighted our societies regardless of how soft.

found it very sad to watch especially as a father of three teenagers and the problems it brings. What I do firmly believe though is although they all have had no guidance and have reasons to be the way they are it still is not an excuse. Many others have came from impoverished and broken home backgrounds and became something in society despite the bad deck of cards dealt. Each one of them was offered and given help but unfortunately cut loose again when released and it was easier to go back to the old ways than reform. Sad to see and I think it is another example of how substances have blighted our societies regardless of how soft.

Se your point completely... but.

The way I see it is its not the substances fault either, its why they are taking the substances.

The education system in the jails need to be looked at too.

Find it funny how guys can be left to play pool but leave the jail not knowing how to fill out an application form.

Se your point completely... but.

The way I see it is its not the substances fault either, its why they are taking the substances.

The education system in the jails need to be looked at too.

Find it funny how guys can be left to play pool but leave the jail not knowing how to fill out an application form.

Aye V good point

And to confirm how hard it is in Jail (not) the wee nutter fi Saltcoats was happy to go back stating there was nothing for him on the outside...sad

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Aye V good point

And to confirm how hard it is in Jail (not) the wee nutter fi Saltcoats was happy to go back stating there was nothing for him on the outside...sad

Most of the programme was filmed in either Young Offenders prisons, the canteen at Kilmarnock Prison and in an office in Barlinnie prison.

You seen no actual 'Jail' life.

You seen no actual 'Jail' life.

I'm sure they said at the beginning Polmont is Scotland's hardest prison. Do you think they meant hardest in the youth system or hardest overall?

I find it difficult to believe it would be a harder place to be than Barlinnie or Peterhead.

I'm sure they said at the beginning Polmont is Scotland's hardest prison. Do you think they meant hardest in the youth system or hardest overall?

I find it difficult to believe it would be a harder place to be than Barlinnie or Peterhead.

Think its statistically more fights.... sure they said that in the original series.

This is going to be a long post and I dont blame anyone for switching off now.

Thirty years ago I could easily have become one of these young men but for one simple reason and one simple reason only. My father.

My father single handedly kept me on the straight an narrow.

I am from to use a phrase a broken home. My parents split up away back in 1971 when I was all of 8 yrs old. My three sisters went with my mother and I with my father. I went with my father for the simple reason he didnt beat the crap out of me in the way my mother did. Nowadays I have no doubts my mother would possibly be jailed for the treatment she dished out to me.

I was punted from pillar to post for the next two years with several of my father's family in the west of Scotland.

In 1975 I was even in a children's home for 8 months. I would rather have had that than staying with my mother.

From October 1975 I stayed with my father in West Pilton(which many will agree has a reputation for being one of the tougher housing schemes in Edinburgh) until I left School in May 1979.

In those four years I was never once in trouble with the police as my father to put it simply would not allow it and no that did not mean him beating the crap out of me it was just that his word was strong enough. He was a strict disciplanarian my father and for this I am forever grateful.

I believe that is what alot of these young men miss today a male role model to look upto. Mainly a father. Many of them dont have one and I find this sad. I believe that if alot of these youngsters did have a good father figure to guide them through from the ages of 12-16 then they wouldnt get into the trouble that they do. I know that sounds simple but they do say the best remedies are.

John

Thirty years ago I could easily have become one of these young men but for one simple reason and one simple reason only. My father.

I am from to use a phrase a broken home. My parents split up away back in 1971 when I was all of 8 yrs old. My three sisters went with my mother and I with my father. I went with my father for the simple reason he didnt beat the crap out of me in the way my mother did. Nowadays I have no doubts my mother would possibly be jailed for the treatment she dished out to me.

I was punted from pillar to post for the next two years with several of my father's family in the west of Scotland.

In 1975 I was even in a children's home for 8 months. I would rather have had that than staying with my mother.

From October 1975 I stayed with my father in West Pilton(which many will agree has a reputation for being one of the tougher housing schemes in Edinburgh) until I left School in May 1979.

In those four years I was never once in trouble with the police as my father to put it simply would not allow it and no that did not mean him beating the crap out of me it was just that his word was strong enough. He was a strict disciplanarian my father and for this I am forever grateful.

I believe that is what alot of these young men miss today a male role model to look upto. Mainly a father. Many of them dont have one and I find this sad. I believe that if alot of these youngsters did have a good father figure to guide them through from the ages of 12-16 then they wouldnt get into the trouble that they do. I know that sounds simple but they do say the best remedies are.

John

I cant comment on much of the above as its personal experience but I'd have to agree a male role model is a very important part in ones life... not the be all and end all I guess but sure it will play a very important part.

Do you think this changes depending on the sex of the child, John?

John

John agree with what you say and as I have stated in an earlier post it appears you were one of those who could have used a whole lot of excuses for the way you turned out if you had chosen that path. I totally agree with the parental guidence issue and a good role model particuarly from a father to a son, however and there is always a however it is not always as simple as that. I had a good sound respect for my father and didnt always like him but always respected him to such an extent that if I was in with the wrong crowd (I went to Gracemount) I would consider the views of both parents and what they would think off me and invariably not do the things I may have. I was lucky as i was football daft and always had been and playing for school, club and the training involved at the time did genuinely keep you away fom some of these issues. As stated I have three kids 18,19 and 20 and have no probs with two one is at uni and the other works full time in an Edinburgh hotel reservations dept and have had no probs whatsoever. My middle son is constantly in trouble and you name it he has done it and to use the key word and also to get to my point has no RESPECT for anyone at all. He could have been one of these neds last night and yet he has had the same parental suppport and role models as the other two so while I take your point and agree with it unfortunately it does not always work out that way as you have to want to be a good decent person also.

I cant comment on much of the above as its personal experience but I'd have to agree a male role model is a very important part in ones life... not the be all and end all I guess but sure it will play a very important part.

Do you think this changes depending on the sex of the child, John?

I'm not sure. I think fathers can be excellent role models for daughters too.

In saying that society has changed a hell of alot since the 70s and not always for the better.

I know this is going to cause a hell of a hornets nest but it is my PERSONAL THOUGHTS and mine alone.

I believe that the influence of the man in the family environment has been diluted/eradicated immensly especially from the late 1980s onwards.

There are many reasons behind it.

Going by personal experience again.

My own daughter was 5yrs old in 1991 and one night I was bathing her and I stopped doing so because big at the time was a thing about dad's abusing daughters and there were those advocating that dad's shouldnt bath their daughters as this was wrong. I didnt as I got scared and was afraid someone would see a mark on my daughter and I would be accused of abusing her.

I now know I was being paranoid at the time but, believe me it was no joke.

Another time 10yrs later I took my daughter then aged 15 to the cinema to see the film The Others(a ghost story starring Nicole Kidman) my then wife and son didnt fancy it but, my daughter did so I took her. I remember standing in the queue to get some ice cream and I could feel the eyes of other cinema goers bearing into me and I know they were thinking what is that older man doing with that younger girl. It was really unsettling and yet it shouldnt have been. That is how society is nowadays. We men are really getting a very rough deal.

I firmly believe children should have two parents one of either sex an old fashion view to many but, to me it balances things better than say two male parents even if they are homosexual or two female parents even if they are lesbian.

Social workers nowadays I believe have a hell of a lot to answer for.

Alot of them think the answers are in books and university degrees this is so wrong to me the answer is in life as in being married and experiencing parenthood for themselves etc etc etc.

Sorry for going off at a tangent but, it is something I care passionately about.

John

John agree with what you say and as I have stated in an earlier post it appears you were one of those who could have used a whole lot of excuses for the way you turned out if you had chosen that path. I totally agree with the parental guidence issue and a good role model particuarly from a father to a son, however and there is always a however it is not always as simple as that. I had a good sound respect for my father and didnt always like him but always respected him to such an extent that if I was in with the wrong crowd (I went to Gracemount) I would consider the views of both parents and what they would think off me and invariably not do the things I may have. I was lucky as i was football daft and always had been and playing for school, club and the training involved at the time did genuinely keep you away fom some of these issues. As stated I have three kids 18,19 and 20 and have no probs with two one is at uni and the other works full time in an Edinburgh hotel reservations dept and have had no probs whatsoever. My middle son is constantly in trouble and you name it he has done it and to use the key word and also to get to my point has no RESPECT for anyone at all. He could have been one of these neds last night and yet he has had the same parental suppport and role models as the other two so while I take your point and agree with it unfortunately it does not always work out that way as you have to want to be a good decent person also.

We may roughly be the same age.I am 45 in April.

I stayed in Gracemount for a year in 1974 and attended St Catherine's

John

I'm not sure. I think fathers can be excellent role models for daughters too.

In saying that society has changed a hell of alot since the 70s and not always for the better.

I know this is going to cause a hell of a hornets nest but it is my PERSONAL THOUGHTS and mine alone.

I believe that the influence of the man in the family environment has been diluted/eradicated immensly especially from the late 1980s onwards.

There are many reasons behind it.

Going by personal experience again.

My own daughter was 5yrs old in 1991 and one night I was bathing her and I stopped doing so because big at the time was a thing about dad's abusing daughters and there were those advocating that dad's shouldnt bath their daughters as this was wrong. I didnt as I got scared and was afraid someone would see a mark on my daughter and I would be accused of abusing her.

I now know I was being paranoid at the time but, believe me it was no joke.

Another time 10yrs later I took my daughter then aged 15 to the cinema to see the film The Others(a ghost story starring Nicole Kidman) my then wife and son didnt fancy it but, my daughter did so I took her. I remember standing in the queue to get some ice cream and I could feel the eyes of other cinema goers bearing into me and I know they were thinking what is that older man doing with that younger girl. It was really unsettling and yet it shouldnt have been. That is how society is nowadays. We men are really getting a very rough deal.

I firmly believe children should have two parents one of either sex an old fashion view to many but, to me it balances things better than say two male parents even if they are homosexual or two female parents even if they are lesbian.

Social workers nowadays I believe have a hell of a lot to answer for.

Alot of them think the answers are in books and university degrees this is so wrong to me the answer is in life as in being married and experiencing parenthood for themselves etc etc etc.

Sorry for going off at a tangent but, it is something I care passionately about.

John

I'll carry on your tangent.... my old man used to coach the local cricket team and speak to pretty much any kid he'd meet, whether it be in a clubhouse, bar, street but around the mid nineties he's like you wont speak to a child that he doesnt know.... even with coaching it became hard.

Going back to the point.... kids do need some one to look up to and respect, you can see alot of the screws trying to be that person. Just a shame alot of them dont have some one at home who can take that hard line but still be respected... alot of kids are 'pussy footed' around with like they rule the roost...

We may roughly be the same age.I am 45 in April.

I stayed in Gracemount for a year in 1974 and attended St Catherine's

John

46 just so maybe when I went to Gracemount Primary and was in the Huts that were actually in the playground of St Catherines we fought (er I mean met) each other. Know loads of people who were educated at St C and then at Gracemount as opposed to busing it to Holyrood

46 just so maybe when I went to Gracemount Primary and was in the Huts that were actually in the playground of St Catherines we fought (er I mean met) each other. Know loads of people who were educated at St C and then at Gracemount as opposed to busing it to Holyrood

That will be one of the huts that was burnt down costing ?10,000 worth of damage as reported by the evening news at the time.

John

That will be one of the huts that was burnt down costing ?10,000 worth of damage as reported by the evening news at the time.

John

Wisna me I was playing football. By a sheer coincidence my teacher at Gracemount for the most part in primary was none other than a Miss FINDLAY. True.

Wisna me I was playing football. By a sheer coincidence my teacher at Gracemount for the most part in primary was none other than a Miss FINDLAY. True.

No relation I assure you.

I know it wasnt you but I certainly do know who it was.

John

Has to be said I agree with some of the sentiments of John. When working with young offenders etc the majority have said that they wouldnt do what they did if they had had a strong male role model. That doesnt necessarily have to be their father but a male, older and wiser than them, who they trusted who tell them right from wrong etc.

The need for Disclosure's (although im in full agreement with them) and the time it takes to get one through is a reason many dont go to take after school clubs, youth clubs and football teams, to keep these kids on the straight and narrow.

And as someone who wants to become a social worker and has worked with some, I agree with the sentiment of what was said. The problem is far too many havent "lived" or experienced enough to teach them how to deal with problems. Im lucky that ive waited until a bit later in life to try to get a career in this area. It has given me much experience in life by holding back and I think that is what is needed.

It doesnt help though when they are understaffed and underfunded. Not an excuse but certainly a contributing factor. As is public and media perception. You never see a front page headline praising the department when things go well as it doesnt sell (off on a tangent I know but I needed to say it!).

OMG, just watched this, car crash TV at its best (or worst), very scary to watch as the mother of 2 boys.

Jamies girlfriend started off with a shred of sense, by the end she was a wreck who seemed to share his drink or drug problem.

Archived