Wasted potential

Coco

Spotted in a paper the other week that Ricky Gillies has moved into junior football. Only 31. I remember watching him play for Scotland U21s when Gary Locke was playing for them and he looked like a fantastic talent. Never really happened for him when he went to play for Aberdeen and has obviously seen his career slide.

What other players had wasted potential? Not really talking of Levein/Frail/Locke style injury situations. But guys with talent who never made it due to lack of application etc.

Spotted in a paper the other week that Ricky Gillies has moved into junior football. Only 31. I remember watching him play for Scotland U21s when Gary Locke was playing for them and he looked like a fantastic talent. Never really happened for him when he went to play for Aberdeen and has obviously seen his career slide.

What other players had wasted potential? Not really talking of Levein/Frail/Locke style injury situations. But guys with talent who never made it due to lack of application etc.

"The Young" Paul McStay (as he was known, even in his 30's it would seem)

loveofthegame
Eoin Jess is signing for Rangers.

Beat me to it- Eoin 'that boys got potential' Jess...

Even at 35 and playing in League 2 for Northampton i heard ppl saying 'hes got potential does that boy......

Just about all of the Scotland team that got to the youth finals at Hampden.

Not many of them made it to any decent level. With Paul Dickov, probably being the most succesful. (I think)

Scott Marshall played for Arsenal.

Brain O'Neill played for Wolfsburg, Celtic, Aberdeen, Notts Forest(?)

Gary Bollan - Rangers & Dundee Utd

They were in that squad weren't they?

Beat me to it- Eoin 'that boys got potential' Jess...

Even at 35 and playing in League 2 for Northampton i heard ppl saying 'hes got potential does that boy......

He had a very long football career for decent sized teams. Same with McStay who I couldn't abide, but he had a very long career.

Who sparkled briefly before sliding away?

chester copperpot

From Hearts, Tommy Harrison was the most promising youngster I've ever played against, the best at his position in Scotland for his age.

Did nought though.

loveofthegame
He had a very long football career for decent sized teams. Same with McStay who I couldn't abide, but he had a very long career.

Who sparkled briefly before sliding away?

Don't get me wrong he had a reasonable career, but he was just always the guy who had potential to make it to the top, not the guy who had ability there and then to be at the top

From Hearts, Tommy Harrison was the most promising youngster I've ever played against, the best at his position in Scotland for his age.

Did nought though.

I couldn't remember his surname.

Subbed on then off by McLean in that disasterous League Cup game against St Johnstone. Last I ever saw of him in a maroon jersey.

On the plus side it was also the last appearance by Nicky "Nae Hands" Walker...

Some may argue he never had any ability but Barry Lavety had a pretty big slide.

Graham Weir, started in a blaze of glory, pity i liked him.

The Establishment

Depends what you count as wasted. Everyone says that Dave Bowman was best player at boys level better than Robbo, Mackay etc. but never quite made it (had a decent career). Steve Fulton was meant to be the next Baggio, he was a cup winning captain but never quite made the dizzy heights. If Phil Stamp didn't like pies he could have been Paul Scholes

Or you could say that boy of Blue Peter who refused to play for any1 bar Ajax as he never really made it.

Lee Sharpe was a worldbeater at 21 and past it by about 25!

Derek Ferguson was gonna be a worldbeater but never really fullfilled the potential he was meant to have.

Danny Cadamarteri is another one from England that rings a bell. He was Wayne Rooney before Wayne Rooney!

Derek Ferguson was gonna be a worldbeater but never really fullfilled the potential he was meant to have.

Danny Cadamarteri is another one from England that rings a bell. He was Wayne Rooney before Wayne Rooney!

Good ones. Ferguson was still playing last season in his late 30s though. His book is an excellent read.

chester copperpot
I couldn't remember his surname.

Subbed on then off by McLean in that disasterous League Cup game against St Johnstone. Last I ever saw of him in a maroon jersey.

On the plus side it was also the last appearance by Nicky "Nae Hands" Walker...

A horrible horrible night Boris.

loveofthegame

I guess you can include old Franny Jeffers in that list! What was it- ?10M to the Arse?! Wengers worst signing ever

I guess you can include old Franny Jeffers in that list! What was it- ?10M to the Arse?! Wengers worst signing ever

Forgot about him.... 10million blabs! Jeezo!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Biggest waste in recent years for me is Paul McMullan. The boy looked absolutely superb when he got into the first team.

That's a good shout.

I thought he was going to be the next big thing when he came into the side.

Rumours were flying about that he thought he was a big shot, liked a bevy and didn't get on with Levein.

Derek Riordan for me.

The little ned could be an absolutely different class football player,the best player to come from the hobo youth system,better than bron imo.If he wasn't such a tw@t it would be a shame.

Mark Burchill, the Scottish Michael Owen.

:D

Yeah, always thought Burchill was going to be great when he first came into the Celtic team.

How about Franny Jeffers. From Hearts - so not really great potential on a national scale or anything - Paul McMullen, Robert Sloan, Joe Hamill (once scored the winner at Ibrox! :eek:)

ricky gilles is a really good shout that boy was watched by everyone when he was young liverpool and newcastle if i remember right.

"the scottish david beckham" was quoted??????

from hearts been a few,

but a good shout would be gary locke although he's had a good career he's never really hit the heights he could have.

i remember before his injury people including the red tops were saying he was a future scotland captain,never the same when he came back.

Archived