Question about penalty taking...

Drew Busby !

Seen Ronaldo take a lot of penalties. And he in particular is an exponent of breaking his run up to the ball before striking - in fact he did it twice in his run-up today.

This of course often makes the keeper commit one way or another, before the ball is even struck. I thought (well I used to think...) that this was considered some kind of ungentlemanly conduct and could lead to penalties being retaken.

Isn't it the case that the run up to the ball should be "unbroken" ? Or did I just imagine that was the law ?

givememychoice
Seen Ronaldo take a lot of penalties. And he in particular is an exponent of breaking his run up to the ball before striking - in fact he did it twice in his run-up today.

This of course often makes the keeper commit one way or another, before the ball is even struck. I thought (well I used to think...) that this was considered some kind of ungentlemanly conduct and could lead to penalties being retaken.

Isn't it the case that the run up to the ball should be "unbroken" ? Or did I just imagine that was the law ?

i seem to recall some discussion on this before, and there is no actual law that stops the runup being broken.

it certainly used to be the case. these days, what ronaldo did seems to be acceptable to refs. not sure if the rule actually changed, or just different interpretation these days.

I see it much the same as having a dummy runner over a free kick or taking a quick free kick, or jinking when you're about to shoot.

Certainly the case in African Cup of Nations - watched the two Egypt games, and in both Hosny had to retake penalties after stuttering in the run-up.

Incidentally, I never knew that if a penalty has to be retaken, the same player has to take it. Learn something new every day.

I thought that also

i think as long as you don't stop tho

He just kinda staggers his run

No law states that run up can't be staggered as the game has not restareted and the ball is not in play until it moves forward. The law was changed a couple of years back so that keepers can move on their line. When I was a kid I always thought you could not "dummy" penaties but I'm not sure it was ever a hard and fast rule???

Here is the law...

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?curpageid=676

No law states that run up can't be staggered as the game has not restareted and the ball is not in play until it moves forward. The law was changed a couple of years back so that keepers can move on their line. When I was a kid I always thought you could not "dummy" penaties but I'm not sure it was ever a hard and fast rule???

Here is the law...

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?curpageid=676

Seems pretty clear S2.

So - in Scotland at least - there is nothing stopping a player doing a full run up, stopping just short of the ball, making the keeper commit, and then rolling it in the other corner.

Surprised in a way that more players don't take that approach !

Seems pretty clear S2.

So - in Scotland at least - there is nothing stopping a player doing a full run up, stopping just short of the ball, making the keeper commit, and then rolling it in the other corner.

Takes a bit of bottle because if the keeper doesn't move you could look a bit silly, most SPL players couldn't do this and would end up rolling the ball into the keeper's arms!!!

LarrysRightFoot

Im sure the rule changed circa World Cup USA 1994 as i remember there being a lot of talk about Romarios run up to penalties. But im sure it was as long as your body was actually still moving forward you could stagger your run up.

The law is unwritten - if it's a Hearts player who does it, its is a bookable offence, if Ronaldo does it Sir Alex says it's ok, and the ref does what e says.

Paranoid - me - perish the thought.

If you run up to the ball without staggering your run, ignore the goalie and smash it into the corner of the net......it's a goal every time! Just like robbo, shearer and mccoist used to do. I'd go for that every time!

mulleted_jambo

Incidentally, I never knew that if a penalty has to be retaken, the same player has to take it. Learn something new every day.

Really I missed a peanlty for my sunday league team a few months. It had to be retake because someone was encroaching i the box but Ipassed it onto someone else for the re-take. he scored and the rest is history. Thak ****** cause i'm rubbish at pealtys.

Really I missed a peanlty for my sunday league team a few months. It had to be retake because someone was encroaching i the box but Ipassed it onto someone else for the re-take. he scored and the rest is history. Thak ****** cause i'm rubbish at pealtys.

Interesting - Did Everton not swap penalty takers in their Uefa Cup qualifying round. Then again they missed about 4 that day altogether

WorldChampions1902
Seems pretty clear S2.

That has suprised me as well. I always thought that it was 'unsporting' to break your run and if it was done, you could be asked to re-take if you scored from it?

An interseting footnote is that Hearts first penalty kick was never taken as the ref blew for time. Another refereeing blunder. It's a conspiracy. :eek:

you are not allowed to stop completely it has to be one action.John Aldridge was the one in this country who really brought the debate on the subject and when his semi stall was deemed legal everybody since seems to have got away with it.

Archived