Steve Albini dead at 61

Tazio

Hansel

Wow! Sad news!

In Utero is one of my favourite albums of all time.

RIP

Gundermann

Haven't heard much of his stuff but he seemed to have garnered loads of respect from others in the punk/ alt-rock circles.

fast_blood

Just read about this. Sad news. Pretty sure Shellac were due to do some shows.

Craig_

Very sad news. An absolute titan of music production. Was lucky enough to see Shellac back in the early nineties, and they were as formidable as you'd imagine.

the original dalry llama

Sad news indeed. I saw Shellac a few times over the years and was looking forward to seeing them again at Primavera. I didn't always agree with his opinions but he certainly made life interesting. 

Tazio
26 minutes ago, the original dalry llama said:

Sad news indeed. I saw Shellac a few times over the years and was looking forward to seeing them again at Primavera. I didn't always agree with his opinions but he certainly made life interesting. 

One of his best opinions was that he never took royalty points on a record he recorded, just an engineering fee. It takes some moral fibre to stick with that when you get offered the follow up to Nevermind. 

the original dalry llama
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

One of his best opinions was that he never took royalty points on a record he recorded, just an engineering fee. It takes some moral fibre to stick with that when you get offered the follow up to Nevermind. 

Absolutely!

frankblack

I didn't know his own recordings but own plenty of work he produced, a number of which are major alternative records (and others not!):

Pixies - Surfer Rosa

The Breeders - Pod 

The Breeders - Title TK

The Breeders - Mountain Battles

The Breeders - All Nerve

PJ Harvey - Rid Of Me

Nirvana - In Utero

Bush - Razorblade Suitcase

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant - Walking Into Clarksdale

Mogwai - My Father, My King

Godspeed You Black Emperor- Yanqui UXO

The Stooges - The Weirdness

Scott Weiland - Happy in Galoshes

Manic Street Preachers - Journal For Plague Lovers

Hugh Cornwell - Totem and Taboo

Craig_
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

And his original mix was much better than the sweetened version which Geffen put out.

crunchy frog

Aww no.😔 He looked a bit chunky last time I saw him but he had the same build as me in the 80s. Better get my shit together. RIP Steve. Legend.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Sad news. A personal favourite…

Bindy Badgy

I'm not a massive fan of his work but he was obviously a major figure within the alternative music scene.

It's sad news as 61 is very young to die from heart issues.

Tazio

Just listening to Terraform by Shellac for the first time in ages. Brilliant production start to finish on every instrument. 

Craig_
1 hour ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Sad news. A personal favourite…

Was listening to this earlier. That moment when it kicks in still puts the hairs on end!

Agree with Tazio above too, there were very few producers/engineers who could mike up a room quite like him. Absolutely zero reliance on reverb, compression etc, just using the natural acoustics incredibly well to do the work for him.

Kalamazoo Jambo
2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Was listening to this earlier. That moment when it kicks in still puts the hairs on end!

Yeah, there are moments in a handful of songs that get to me - that’s one of them.

Rousset1

I remember the Rapeman controversy.

The music press had a field day.