Oda and Tagawa Futures

BackOfTheNet

BackOfTheNet

Main points from Naismith:

"Yutaro has had a few niggly injuries which have disrupted him,” Naismith told the Edinburgh News. “In spells he has had some good games or come off the bench and done really well. Then he has missed a couple of weeks. The biggest thing for him is consistency, although he is our third-top goalscorer this season. He has had an impact in games. I really like his qualities. I think he has a good understanding of Scottish football now. He has good ability and he is a threat when he plays for us.

"For Kyosuke, this season was always going to be difficult. The physicality and the speed of the game have shown up. In some games I think Kyosuke has shown up well but he has been kept out of the team. Shanks has shown so much form and even when [Liam] Boycie was playing he was doing really well.

"There are wee moments which haven't fell for him. The ball has hit the post or just gone past the post, he hasn't had that wee rub of the green. Those small moments can start you off. He maybe needed one to just go in off his shin to set him off and then he could keep going. That hasn't happened but I think he has qualities so we will see how pre-season plays out.”

"Both of them have been unfortunate this season: Kyosuke because Shanks has done so well, and Yutaro because the system changed in the last couple of games,” said Naismith. “They will both want to play minutes in the last few games so that's where we have the different dynamics because everybody wants to play.

"It's our job to pick the right team that we think is going to win the game, but also maybe give some of those players minutes as well. We have a few like that. The core of the team hasn't changed too much throughout the season. We have been fortunate that there haven't been loads of injuries, so there are players wanting minutes.”

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HopeDiouf

• Chimp

• BackOfTheNet

• Deviskan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do we constantly have to refer to these guys as a pair?

Just because they are both Japanese!

We don't refer to players of other nationalities like this...

These guys are very different players, with very different experiences with Hearts so far.

BackOfTheNet
5 minutes ago, BRY said:

These guys are very different players, with very different experiences with Hearts so far.

Good point. But was just posting the article from Barry Anderson about them both, so don’t shoot the messenger!

BlueRiver

I'd like to see Tagawa start the next 3 matches now that 3rd is secured. 

He's only been getting a few minutes here and there so it would be nice to see if a little run of starts could spur him on. 

Mikey1874
15 minutes ago, BRY said:

No, but spend a fair bit of time together 

20240508_142226.jpg

buzzbomb1958
14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

20240508_142226.jpg

Of course they do probably learn English together , when in a foreign country thousands of miles from home you would seek out fellow countrymen to have a pint or conversation with , young guys far from home obviously help each other out

Saint Jambo
40 minutes ago, BRY said:

I agree that is unhelpful to see them as a collective. But definitely not the only example. Lost count of the number of times that our Australian players are pumped together.

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Saint Jambo said:

I agree that is unhelpful to see them as a collective. But definitely not the only example. Lost count of the number of times that our Australian players are pumped together.

They do spend a lot of time together too. Seen the 4 of them on a night out not too long ago. Whatever makes them feel comfortable.

TheBigO
2 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Ooh er!

On the subject though, Oda is a player.  Like Naisy says, the only thing that has stopped him this season has been niggly injuries.  Start of season (like end of last), he was looking good, then he picked up an injury which kept him out a few weeks its been in and out since then.  But even still, he's managed to look good when he's played (especially when played on wing where he's best placed).

Tagawa, he tries hard when he's on, his touch is good, he links well, he makes good runs.  It just hasn't happened for the lad.  Maybe a year under the belt will do it for him.   Hope so, I'm routing for him to stay and smash it rather than just move on.

Saint Jambo
Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

They do spend a lot of time together too. Seen the 4 of them on a night out not too long ago. Whatever makes them feel comfortable.

Sure and if someone was describing them as a unit in terms of socializing together that would be fine. But people often describe them as collectively not good enough or failing or struggling to adapt to Scottish football or even just call to get rid of the Aussies. In that sense there is no sensible basis for lumping them together. They are different styles of players who have come at different times and has different trajectories at Hearts. We would be as well lumping together or our signings from the lower leagues of England.

59 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Main points from Naismith:

"Yutaro has had a few niggly injuries which have disrupted him,” Naismith told the Edinburgh News. “In spells he has had some good games or come off the bench and done really well. Then he has missed a couple of weeks. The biggest thing for him is consistency, although he is our third-top goalscorer this season. He has had an impact in games. I really like his qualities. I think he has a good understanding of Scottish football now. He has good ability and he is a threat when he plays for us.

"For Kyosuke, this season was always going to be difficult. The physicality and the speed of the game have shown up. In some games I think Kyosuke has shown up well but he has been kept out of the team. Shanks has shown so much form and even when [Liam] Boycie was playing he was doing really well.

"There are wee moments which haven't fell for him. The ball has hit the post or just gone past the post, he hasn't had that wee rub of the green. Those small moments can start you off. He maybe needed one to just go in off his shin to set him off and then he could keep going. That hasn't happened but I think he has qualities so we will see how pre-season plays out.”

"Both of them have been unfortunate this season: Kyosuke because Shanks has done so well, and Yutaro because the system changed in the last couple of games,” said Naismith. “They will both want to play minutes in the last few games so that's where we have the different dynamics because everybody wants to play.

"It's our job to pick the right team that we think is going to win the game, but also maybe give some of those players minutes as well. We have a few like that. The core of the team hasn't changed too much throughout the season. We have been fortunate that there haven't been loads of injuries, so there are players wanting minutes.”

I would say that is spot on about Tagawa the small things have not went right for him see the Celtic game recently as an example a better pass and he is in perhaps next season he can look to make an impact I however have my doubts he has a place.

Oda I know is learning English ( the place at the west end) and has made an impact of the bench I think we will see more of him next season. 

AC Mallin_51

Oda’s minutes per goal ratio must be pretty good. 3rd top scorer and it feels like he’s had a lot less game time than some others

Ex member of the SaS

Would keep Oda and move Tagawa on. Both MAY improve with the new mids and wingers as delivery is a huge part of forwards getting goals. If no improvement this coming season then one or both can go.

Oda be a JT

With The Big O, really want Tagawa to do well - there is just something that makes me think he could be a cracking player for us…hell, it could even be Shanks leaving and him getting more of a chance!

Not that I want (or think) either will move on, I think we will add another striker.

Pans Jambo

Headline suggests something about their futures that the article diesnt even mention. 

BackOfTheNet
7 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Headline suggests something about their futures that the article diesnt even mention. 

Rule of thumb with articles, ignore the headline, the first paragraphs and the final paragraph. Normally the truth is within the second to last and possibly the paragraph before it.

Rarely applies to sports articles, but I’ve found it handy to follow that rule generally.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Yutaro Oda has good attributes that those who watch him regularly can clearly see and he still has plenty untapped potential. Letting him go now would be a major mistake. In Tagawa's case I would like to see him get good game time in the next three games and see if he can impress enough to stay at the club longer. 

Sooks
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

20240508_142226.jpg

The other guy looks like the boss in a Martial Arts Movie . Could see him smashing the doors of the restaurant kitchen open and charging in to the melee . Our two Japanese heroes circling him in a defensive stance :) 

AlimOzturk

Tagawa would benefit from a loan to championship club imo. ODA is pretty much an established first team player who has shown he can be effective. 

Hope both hit the ground running next year though. 

Victorian

2 Japanese lads.  In an unfamiliar land.  Don't speak English.  Play in the same team.  Spend a bit of time together.

:interehjrling:

DC_92
41 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Oda’s minutes per goal ratio must be pretty good. 3rd top scorer and it feels like he’s had a lot less game time than some others

He's averaged a goal every 176 minutes in the league this season (5 goals in 882 minutes).

For context, Shankland from open play has a goal every 169 minutes in the league (18 goals in 3,049 minutes).

BackOfTheNet
48 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Tagawa would benefit from a loan to championship club imo. ODA is pretty much an established first team player who has shown he can be effective. 

Hope both hit the ground running next year though. 

We’re not going to send a Japanese international who has goals in the Portuguese top flight against Porto and Sporting to his name to the championship. Even if we’d try to he’d be off elsewhere I’m sure.

BackOfTheNet
34 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

He's averaged a goal every 176 minutes in the league this season (5 goals in 882 minutes).

For context, Shankland from open play has a goal every 169 minutes in the league (18 goals in 3,049 minutes).

That’s impressive! Could’ve got a few more actually too.

Agentjambo

Their figures have to improve drastically if we want to hit the “next level”.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Ooh er!

On the subject though, Oda is a player.  Like Naisy says, the only thing that has stopped him this season has been niggly injuries.  Start of season (like end of last), he was looking good, then he picked up an injury which kept him out a few weeks its been in and out since then.  But even still, he's managed to look good when he's played (especially when played on wing where he's best placed).

Tagawa, he tries hard when he's on, his touch is good, he links well, he makes good runs.  It just hasn't happened for the lad.  Maybe a year under the belt will do it for him.   Hope so, I'm routing for him to stay and smash it rather than just move on.

I would agree.

I thought you could see in that article how much Naismith rates Oda, and is just pushing for him to achieve consistency. I think Oda goes a bit below the radar when he plays. He has the joint third most goals in the team but I do think he has been unlucky to get more in recent weeks. His shot in the semi was only stopped by a brilliant save, against Celtic he made a great drive into the box, laying off a 1-2 and again was unlucky not to score. If he just gets that little bit more with finishing then he will be a big player for us.

Tagawa was interesting from Naismith's words, I thought he was good with his defence of him and its clear they think he still has a future at the club which they are looking to get from him. Though it was not quite as glowing as Oda's words. But I do agree with Naismith's words, he has been unlucky with some of his moves and goal going in after scuffing off his leg could make a big difference of him. I also think its easy to forget he has not really had two starts in a row to get up to speed and off the bench until recently it has been patchy game time.

I do think back to last season when Oda had a game or two at the start then dropped off from playing as the season went on, then Naismith came on and in the split he started to show what he could do culminating in the goal against Hibs. After that people were much more positive I do think if Tagawa looked decent in the next few games and got a goal, there would be a more positive outlook towards him (not saying there wont still be doutbts, because it will be a small sample size of games.)

Gillsland jack

I really like Oda and I would love to see Tagawa, settle in to the club, build a bit confidence and with a bit of luck, start making a name for himself in Scottish football.

AlexJiang21

Would be glad to see Oda stays to offer some different tempo and style in Scottish football. Man defo has the football mind but just needs time to grow since he hasn't even turned 23.

Lambert Simnel

I've previously been in the "ship Tagawa out in the summer" camp, but reckon now I was probably being a bit too hasty.

I'm not optimistic that he'll become a regular starter for the club, but he's likely worth (and he deserves) more of a punt than he's had so far.  

gorgielads1874

I think we should definitely keep Oda. despite the nippy injuries he's been very good and he's been able to get us goals. he's also young and quick with potential. tagawa I think needs more minutes and a couple of starts to show his potential. he is very very quick as well. 

Daktari
Posted (edited)

I'm no great football tactician or judge of players, but what I see of Tagawa is that he often makes runs into attacking areas which other players don't spot and pick a pass. I could be wrong, but I feel he often looks frustrated by that? I think he's much better than we've seen so far.

P.s. - He's also got what must be the longest terracing chant ever before his name comes in, and surely has to stay for the effort that goes into that alone! :) 

Edited by Daktari

kingantti1874

Tagawa needs decent minutes in the last 3 games to see what he can do.  

alicante jambo
18 minutes ago, Daktari said:

I'm no great football tactician or judge of players, but what I see of Tagawa is that he often makes runs into attacking areas which other players don't spot and pick a pass. I could be wrong, but I feel he often looks frustrated by that? I think he's much better than we've seen so far.

P.s. - He's also got what must be the longest terracing chant ever before his name comes in, and surely has to stay for the effort that goes into that alone! :) 

Dhanda could be this player to pick this pass. 

Sherbet
36 minutes ago, Daktari said:

To utilise tagawas pace we would have to play the ball forward into space, un fortunately we tend to play a slow build up

Tokyo Drifter
4 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

I'd like to see Tagawa start the next 3 matches now that 3rd is secured. 

He's only been getting a few minutes here and there so it would be nice to see if a little run of starts could spur him on. 

It won't. Bin him. Keep Oda.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

To utilise tagawas pace we would have to play the ball forward into space, un fortunately we tend to play a slow build up

We do so its a bit strange to sign someone who doesn’t fit in with that style. 

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Absolutely 

35 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

Dhanda could be this player to pick this pass. 

Spittal too 👍🏽

Watt-Zeefuik

5 hours ago, BRY said:

So you've missed all the chat about the Aussies that treat them as a matched set?

Teams tend to get clusters of nationalities for a reason. As long as they get along, they can keep each other company and help stave off the homesickness.

The fact that both play up front as forwards means they're going to get mentioned together a lot.

BackOfTheNet
52 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Naismith does mention that the last games could be used to get minutes, but more in a general sense for all those short on minutes. Reading between the lines, I think he’s holding off giving him a run until pre-season, that seems a bit odd to me.

DG_HMFC

Tagawa is a player I really hope comes good. 

You can see he has the ability, but like Naismith has said, been quite unlucky. 

Hopefully he gets a runout in the last few games to try and grab a couple of goals to boost his confidence.

Fancy him to start on Saturday, with Shankland playing just behind him in the 10 role.

Sydney

I think both of them have shown enough to be quality players next season.  I hope they stay and thrive.

bawheed
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

No point if not playing a ball over defenders.

He’s not looking for a ball to feet striker and that’s the ball we play constantly.

Go for it 1308
8 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

default_ooh_matron2.png

default_ooh_matron2.png

default_ooh_matron2.png

hmfc_liam06
7 hours ago, Sydney said:

I think both of them have shown enough to be quality players next season.  I hope they stay and thrive.

This is where I am. In no rush to let either of them go.

RustyRightPeg
12 hours ago, bawheed said:

No point if not playing a ball over defenders.

He’s not looking for a ball to feet striker and that’s the ball we play constantly.

No point 😂

Bazzas right boot

I reckon Tagawa will be punted in the summer.

Japan Jambo
20 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Yutaro Oda has good attributes that those who watch him regularly can clearly see and he still has plenty untapped potential. Letting him go now would be a major mistake. In Tagawa's case I would like to see him get good game time in the next three games and see if he can impress enough to stay at the club longer. 

yup 👍

I would add though that while Tagawa seems unsuited to domestic football he may be useful in Europe where teams are coming at us more, not sure that's enough to warrant his wage though...