Team for final three games.

Tiro

Is it time to rest Shankland, ahead of the Euros, and give other players an opportunity to stake a claim for next season.?. For me we need to evaluate, without risk, Tagawa, and some of the younger prospects. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jr ewing

• rudi must stay

• Pasquale for King

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Sir PH

The last thing Shankland needs is rested. He needs to find the back of the net again before he sets off for Germany. The longer the goal drought continues, the more it will affect his confidence and Clarke's chances of picking him.

martoon
Posted (edited)

Perhaps, but only up to a point.

I don't want our season, a very good season, to just fizzle out with a run of defeats and not putting the ball in the net.

We're already without a goal in three games.

I want a minimum of 4 points from the Dundee/St. Mirren double header and at least one against Rangers.

It's high time we turned up against them. I doubt they'll still be in with a chance of the title by the last day so could be ripe for a damn good plucking. A tougher opponent if they are but it would just make a Hearts win even sweeter.

I certainly don't care who wins the title. It's 39 in-a-row, afaic.

Edited by martoon

TheBigO
13 minutes ago, Tiro said:

Is it time to rest Shankland, ahead of the Euros, and give other players an opportunity to stake a claim for next season.?. For me we need to evaluate, without risk, Tagawa, and some of the younger prospects. 

What we don't know is if a decision is already made on Tagawa.  I kinda hope we persevere - he's on a long contract and he's had a year under his belt now.  So unless the lad wants away - isn't enjoying it or whatever - I'd keep him next season and hope he kicks on.  And if this is the case, then yes more game time in the next 3 would make sense.

I have a feeling it's probably even unofficially decided he'll move on though - he's been left on the bench so many times.  And in that case, game time makes no sense.

I don't see too many changes to the team in the next 3 tbh.  What may happen is anyone with niggles sits out simply cos they can.  Players are almost always playing with some little injury or other, so anyone who could do with a rest can get one.  This moreso may give kids/fringe a chance.

GBJambo
Posted (edited)

Since it looks likely Shankland isn’t going to be here next season , we might as well get used to not having him now with nothing to play for. 

Play Tagawa , Vargas and oda and see how we do with real pace up front. 

Edited by GBJambo

Victorian

Maximum possible game time for Tait,  Denholm,  Wilson and others.  Priority to the young players who haven't featured much.  Denholm is the most advanced.  

3 match trial period for Tagawa.  

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

If we are retaining Tagawa, I’d like to see him given more time in these matches

If Beni is away, not much point in playing him; let’s give Devlin and Denholm more game time.

busbyfth
41 minutes ago, Tiro said:

very good point - but from shanks point of view he is desperate to play as hes only scored one goal (a penalty) in his last EIGHT games......and he needs his mojo back if Clarke is to even contemplate starting him at the euros.

Sherbet

Players who are definitely leaving should not be playing now europe is assured

Hagar the Horrible

We have to get Shanks to the 30 goal mark, that wont happen again in my lifetime,  Play or strongest team but let Rocco, Denhollm and tait see the game out, or start.  SEvco we need to do what we can to get closer to the OF.  Like Enders game, you don't just win this fight, you win it in such a way as to win the next game before a ball has been kicked

busbyfth
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Strongest team v Rangers the others I couldn’t care less. 

gotta feeling we will get something from them for the first time in a long while. Hopefully a win to stop them winning the league as I detest that shower.

(would give Fraser a chance in the last three games maybe)

Edited by busbyfth

Homme
33 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

The last thing Shankland needs is rested. He needs to find the back of the net again before he sets off for Germany. The longer the goal drought continues, the more it will affect his confidence and Clarke's chances of picking him.

He could be doing with a week off. That's been evident for about a month now.

He's ****ed.

Knows he is going to the Euros anyway.

Sir PH
1 minute ago, Homme said:

He could be doing with a week off. That's been evident for about a month now.

He's ****ed.

Knows he is going to the Euros anyway.

He's not played two competitive games in the same week for months, so I'm not sure why he needs rested or why he's knackered? He also got rested a few weeks ago.

What he does need is a goal, to get his confidence back up and send him to Germany on a high.

Mikey1874
38 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

And 30 goals in a season is pretty unique for the club as well as the player. 

John Findlay
54 minutes ago, Tiro said:

No.

Skye1874

I’d get Macauley tait in. Not been amazing his last few games - good opportunity for him to get game time and experience though.  

HeartsandonlyHearts
12 minutes ago, busbyfth said:

gotta feeling we will get something from them for the first time in a long while. Hopefully a win to stop them winning the league as I detest that shower.

(would give Fraser a chance in the last three games maybe)

Do we have another Fraser?

Mikey1874

Given Naismith is keen to get the team to improve, it would be unsurprising if he sticks to his best team. 

The Goalscoring Knee
25 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Play or strongest team but let Rocco, Denholm and Tait see the game out, or start.

Not sure the two are compatible. Our strongest team doesn't feature any of those three.

Gordon has to play or he can kiss goodbye to the Euros. Very surprising Naisy hasn’t given him more game time since 3rd has been a shoe in for weeks. 

Tait should be starting all 3 games instead of Beni. 

Tagawa should get more then 10 mins here and there. 

Hagar the Horrible

A team that can win comfortable against Dundee and St Mirren, but the best 11 against Sevco as it is the last game and we are due a win

rudi must stay

I would play Oda and Tagawa in all the game 

rudi must stay
40 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Players who are definitely leaving should not be playing now europe is assured

If thats what we do I think that poor. Every player deserves a good send off 

Deevers
43 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Strongest team v Rangers the others I couldn’t care less. 

Normally I’d agree, but the other two teams are Dundee and St Mirren. I hate them both and want to see us cuff them too.

BigAlim

Is there a right back in the reserves worth giving a shot?

Saint Jambo

Even if Shankland is leaving, there is value to us as well as him in playing him in the last three games. As well as not wanting the season to fizzle out, we want to secure the maximum fee possible if he is leaving. A scoring run between now and the end of the season makes it more likely he gets game time at the Euros, makes it more likely he scores at the Euros, increases his value.

I also don't see much point in "getting used to life without Shankland". If he isn't here next season we are certain to sign other forwards and have already signed an attacking midfielder, so it will look different anyway.

tian447

Last 3 games with nothing to play for allows us to experiment with a few things.  I'd like to see us concentrate on getting Shankland back on the edge of the box, and actually getting balls in to him instead of making him work from midfield and have to turn around 180 degrees with the ball. 

2 strikers on the pitch, minimum, and concentrate on finishing the season with a decent number of goals.  Get Shankland up top, supported by at least 1 other forward.  

Shankland should be looking for at least another 3 goals before the end of the season, especially with the Euros coming up.  

Time for players like Oda and Tagawa to show what they've got.  I'd be tempted to start them both, with Shankland in the middle. 

Naismith has spoken of his desire to see us get 70 points, those who say there is nothing to play for are underestimating Naismith's desire 

jamboinglasgow

I think we can swap some players around over the next few games (though would prefer a stronger side against Rangers.)

Though one thing I am interested to see is the team with the pressure off and given freedom.

Also would like to see Tagawa play at the same time from the start as McKay. Think those two could work well.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think we can swap some players around over the next few games (though would prefer a stronger side against Rangers.)

Though one thing I am interested to see is the team with the pressure off and given freedom.

Also would like to see Tagawa play at the same time from the start as McKay. Think those two could work well.

Tagawa, McKay and Oda plus also Vargas offer a lot of pace and movement.

David McCaig
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Maximum possible game time for Tait,  Denholm,  Wilson and others.  Priority to the young players who haven't featured much.  Denholm is the most advanced.  

I think its important that we use the last 3 games to see if  Tagawa can form a partnership with Shanks

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

I think its important that we use the last 3 games to see if  Tagawa can form a partnership with Shanks

Be interested to test this team against the sitting in tactics of Dundee / St Mirren

Gordon

Kye

Kent                   Kingsley

Oda                     Beni                     McKay

Hoff                 Devlin

Shanks

Tagawa

Grant for Hoff given he’s injured.  Oda and McKay need to work hard and track back when needed.

RustyRightPeg

Give Tagawa and Oda as many minutes as possible alongside Tait & perhaps another youngster who can play right back. 

Other than that I couldn't care a jot I'm just going to enjoy the games.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Denholm and Tait need to go out on loan IMO. 

Denholm is full of energy and confidence (I think) but he looks like he’s trying too hard and doesn’t look on the same wavelength as the rest of the team. A loan would give him the same competitive environment and help him to develop team awareness and consistency. 

You can see Tait has a lot of ability and might develop into a great player. But when he gave away possession to Rangers in the semi he was devastated. I fear that he might err on safer football with us rather than playing fearlessly, not dwelling on mistakes, an attribute that I suspect would bring out the very best in him. Playing in the Championship for example, a bit like Cameron and McCowan have done with Dundee, might achieve that.

Oda and Tagawa should have the chance to play alongside Vargas (as others have said) to see if they can develop together.

Debut 4

Dundee giving it much talk about how they are coming to win with a degree of cockiness.

Strong team, get goals and pump them. 

Nothing to say Denholm can’t start or even Tait.   

Busby8
38 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Normally I’d agree, but the other two teams are Dundee and St Mirren. I hate them both and want to see us cuff them too.

Exactly.

But to be fair, no matter who it was, I'd still want us to be winning these games.... so by all means give the fringe players game time, but let's do it gradually and with winning in mind.

Rudy T

Not bothered who plays apart from giving Craig Gordon the last 3 games see if it gets him the the euros.

Aussie Jambo

Play all the young guys against Scumdee & St Liedoon, with our fringe players. Give the young boys some experience and a chance for them all to show themselves. But game against Sevco play our best team and ****ing beat them. Hopefully it’s all down to that game for Sevco to win the league. Now that would be barry. 

Aussie Jambo
2 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Since it looks likely Shankland isn’t going to be here next season , we might as well get used to not having him now with nothing to play for. 

I think they would play well together. All young, skilful and shit to prove. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Aim for the season has been achieved so would give as many players as possible some game time anybody carrying knocks just let them rest up and be in holiday mode now

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Play all 4 of them. **** it.

Hungry hippo
39 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Not bothered who plays apart from giving Craig Gordon the last 3 games see if it gets him the the euros.

I'll guess at them alternating with Gordon to play the 2 home games.

Wee Mikey
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

Even if Shankland is leaving, there is value to us as well as him in playing him in the last three games. As well as not wanting the season to fizzle out, we want to secure the maximum fee possible if he is leaving. A scoring run between now and the end of the season makes it more likely he gets game time at the Euros, makes it more likely he scores at the Euros, increases his value.

I also don't see much point in "getting used to life without Shankland". If he isn't here next season we are certain to sign other forwards and have already signed an attacking midfielder, so it will look different anyway.

Agreed, and I'd also add that those making the trek to Paisley for a mid-week 19:45 KO deserve the best possible team and 100% effort.

Same goes for Sat, for me. A full house v Dundee with heaps of supporters travelling from afar. Nae slackin'.

jbee647
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Given Naismith is keen to get the team to improve, it would be unsurprising if he sticks to his best team. 

He makes changes and experiment's in team selection and we have negative results and performance, you can guarantee the moon howlers in our support will be shouting for Naismiths head, you don’t want negativity running into the close season either, if I’m the manager I’m playing my strongest team available, I’m not gambling on my job, he sees the players everyday in training, if Tagawa etc were up to it, they would have played far more regularly than they have, he is not going to rest Shankland, he knows he can trust him, especially as Shankland has his own personal targets to fulfill this season 

We_are_the_Hearts

We have failed to score in our last 3 games so lets just sort that first. Been creating chances but been very wasteful 

Sherbet
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

If thats what we do I think that poor. Every player deserves a good send off 

Playing players who want to be here is more important.  Others can be on the bench

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Use the games to our best advantage, learn something new, individuals are not of Steven Naismiths primary concern

David McCaig
2 hours ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

Be interested to test this team against the sitting in tactics of Dundee / St Mirren

Gordon

Kye

Kent                   Kingsley

Oda                     Beni                     McKay

Hoff                 Devlin

Shanks

Tagawa

Grant for Hoff given he’s injured.  Oda and McKay need to work hard and track back when needed.

Personally I'd go for Fraser instead of Grant as he's effectively got 3 games to show that he has a future at Hearts