Chez Jules

lou

Discovered this place in Hanover Street a couple of months back, the best value for money in the city without a doubt, if you haven't been get along, a real treat, the set lunch menu is incredible for the money 

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, lou said:

Discovered this place in Hanover Street a couple of months back, the best value for money in the city without a doubt, if you haven't been get along, a real treat, the set lunch menu is incredible for the money 

Yes we went last month . It’s great . Onion soup was lovely . And plenty bread and nibbles on table too . Plus as you say the price is really great value . It was Packed when we were there , great atmosphere . 

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes we went last month . It’s great . Onion soup was lovely . And plenty bread and nibbles on table too . Plus as you say the price is really great value . It was Packed when we were there , great atmosphere . 

A great find and the main menu is also really reasonable

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, lou said:

A great find and the main menu is also really reasonable

Yes it really is . I’ve known about it for years but never been in until last month . 

Happened to stumble into the basement one night looking for the loo. You’d not really fancy any food-stuffs from them after seeing how mingin’ it was.  🤢 

26 minutes ago, SecN said:

Happened to stumble into the basement one night looking for the loo. You’d not really fancy any food-stuffs from them after seeing how mingin’ it was.  🤢 

🙉🙉🙉 Don't want to hear that, 

frankblack

I went to the place they used to have near Henderson Row with the family.  As a vegetarian the stuff they served was embarrassingly poor - a plate of spaghetti noodles covered in garlic.

I wouldn't set foot in another of their restaurants.

il Duce McTarkin
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I went to the place they used to have near Henderson Row with the family.  As a vegetarian the stuff they served was embarrassingly poor - a plate of spaghetti noodles covered in garlic.

Bet they're gutted, frank.

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

New Town Loafer
57 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Serves you right for being a vegetarian weirdo, imo. Thankfully, the French don't take kindly to your ilk.

New Town Loafer

It's a great spot and always heaving with people. Good food and a great atmosphere.

rudi must stay

The French take hospitality very seriously. I worked in the Oxtail Brasserie next to the Kings Theatre a few years ago 

the posh bit

Been a couple of times on a Sunday. Damn good value and they're very chilled with kids too. 

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, SecN said:

You could say that about 99% of places in Edinburgh, particularly those with a basement.

PaddysBar
1 hour ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Bet they're gutted, frank.

1 hour ago, New Town Loafer said:

Serves you right for being a vegetarian weirdo, imo. Thankfully, the French don't take kindly to your ilk.

😂

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
26 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

You could say that about 99% of places in Edinburgh, particularly those with a basement.

Yes, rats everywhere.

I went to Chez Jules last year and thought it was excellent.

RustyRightPeg
Just now, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Yes, rats everywhere.

I went to Chez Jules last year and thought it was excellent.

Likewise, been a few times. Mark who runs the place is a good guy. Always been impressed with the food. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
15 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Likewise, been a few times. Mark who runs the place is a good guy. Always been impressed with the food. 

I turned up, by myself and without a booking, at around 1:30 and they managed to fit me in.  The place was mobbed, too. I had walked past the place loads of times, no idea why it took me so long to go in.

frankblack
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, New Town Loafer said:

I couldn't give a toss about the French.  The restaurant was in Edinburgh where there is a large proportion of non-meat eaters.

The food was shit and that place closed down.  Adapt or die.

You seem obsessed about what others choose to eat.  Time to grow up pal.

Edited by frankblack

There is a difference between untidy and dank dark lower ground basement in the New Town and what I seen underneath this place. Believe me. 🤢

Taffin
17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I couldn't give a toss about the French.  The restaurant was in Edinburgh where there is a large proportion of non-meat eaters.

Tbf, if you're a vegetarian why would you go to a restaurant garlic spaghetti was the only option if you don't like garlic spaghetti?

Morgan
18 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I couldn't give a toss about the French.  

:sweeet:  :pleasing:

Morgan
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

That's nice. Did they give you some crayons and a wee word search to keep you occupied while the adults ate?

:biggrin:

New Town Loafer
22 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Settle down, Frankie.

il Duce McTarkin
25 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Hangry, frank?

Der Kaiser

It's great.

Not happy that more folk know about it now....

New Town Loafer
9 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Go easy on him. He's been working all day to bring home the, er, facon.

:sadrobbo:

frankblack
16 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Hangry, frank?

Nope.  Some weirdo has a conplex about people who don't eat meat.

frankblack
13 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Go easy on him. He's been working all day to bring home the, er, facon.

Nice one. :lol:

Not working today due to bank holiday.  Was up town shopping.

I'm not one of these militant vegans.  I have been vegetarian my entire adult life because eating meat made me physically vomit.  I don't preach to others unlike some meat eaters who have to conplain about what others eat.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, frankblack said:

Just had a look at the menu, 3 veggie dishes on the whole thing 🤦🏽

frankblack
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

The one I talked about was down near what was Smithies pub.  I can't recall the menu but it was limited if you don't eat meat or fish.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Nice one. :lol:

Not working today due to bank holiday.  Was up town shopping.

I'm not one of these militant vegans.  I have been vegetarian my entire adult life because eating meat made me physically vomit.  I don't preach to others unlike some meat eaters who have to conplain about what others eat.

Well said. 

the posh bit
40 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

That's nice. Did they give you some crayons and a wee word search to keep you occupied while the adults ate?

Still getting to grips with that fiddly ignore function, Slaverchops? 😊 

il Duce McTarkin
27 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Nope.  Some weirdo has a conplex about people who don't eat meat.

It looked more like they ha an issue with haughty curmudgeons, tbh.

18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

And? 

It's always something else to feel victimised and aggrieved about, right enough. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

It looked more like they ha an issue with haughty curmudgeons, tbh.

And? 

It's always something else to feel victimised and aggrieved about, right enough. 

I’m a vegetarian, so I suppose I wont be going there. That ok to post that yeah, or should I run it past you meat eaters 🤮?

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The one I talked about was down near what was Smithies pub.  I can't recall the menu but it was limited if you don't eat meat or fish.

Most places have decent options nowadays, obviously up to them what menu they have. 

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I’m a vegetarian, so I suppose I wont be going there. That ok to post that yeah, or should I run it past you meat eaters 🤮?

You've been a veggie for about 5 minutes, bud.

You can go or not go to wherever you want, but a snide wee facepalm at the limited number of vegetarian options on the menu of a restaurant is preachy-triggered-vegan territory, or Celtic-esque victimhood.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

You've been a veggie for about 5 minutes, bud.

You can go or not go to wherever you want, but a snide wee facepalm at the limited number of vegetarian options on the menu of a restaurant is preachy-triggered-vegan territory, or Celtic-esque victimhood.

You have to cater for all types, i have to serve Hibs ***** for example. I see myself becoming a militant vegan in the future so I’m glad im portraying those qualities just now. 
I don’t think Celtic fans have a monopoly on being victims anymore, these Hun ***** are just as bad. 
Hope you, FF and the kids are well. 

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I see myself becoming a militant vegan in the future so I’m glad im portraying those qualities just now. 

:sadrobbo: 

I'd expect nothing less, and you're off to an admirable start!

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think Celtic fans have a monopoly on being victims anymore, these Hun ***** are just as bad. 

Agreed.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hope you, FF and the kids are well. 

Living our best lives, PfK, thanks, I trust you and yours are too. :)

Hopefully catch up next time I'm in town. 👍

Sooperstar

No time for anyone that wants to moan about their dietary choices not being catered to in a specific establishment.

frankblack
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Good on you.

My grandfather converted to Buddhism and, as a consequence, to vegetarianism, in the 1970s.

Was rumbled by his kids who spotted him eating a chicken curry in his staff canteen...

I had an old boss whose wife made him vegetarian.  Every so often he would go over the road at lunchtime to get a steak at the pub.

Had a works night out in there once (many years ago, mind).

It was an absolute feckin shambles of a place.

Food took forever to arrive and was undercooked, drinks orders never got brought over, we eventually had to have a rammy with the managers and ended up not paying and leaving.

Never went back.

il Duce McTarkin

^^^^ Least surprising post of the year.

Francis Albert

We have looked into Chez Joules a few times and were put off by how crowded it always was. Which was pretty stupid. There is a reason for the crowds and for them packing the place.The food is superb  and prices  are incredibly low for the quality of the food - the fixed priced lunch especially. Skirt steak is a relatively cheap cut but was the tastiest and   tenderest we have tasted for a long time. Will be first on the list for our next visit to the city.

Morgan

I went to an Indian restaurant once and was most disappointed that their choice of Chinese food was minimal.

Dawnrazor
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I went to an Indian restaurant once and was most disappointed that their choice of Chinese food was minimal.

Bloody racists🤬

Morgan
8 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Bloody racists🤬

:sweeet:

Not such a bad thing, tbf.

Was in the Greggs in Davidson Mains once getting a sandwich and the staff member said there was a spider under the counter. She said she had “chased it around” most of the morning. 

Tazio
9 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Ach, it was probably just a wee clump of pubes.

Nah that’s the term for the kids from Royal High that hang around there annoying the locals in the middle of the day. 

Tazio
20 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Disgusted of  Tunbr Davidson's Mains writes...

Nether Barnton if you don’t mind.