Actor Bernard Hill dies at 79

Lone Striker

Lone Striker

A wonderful actor

th?id=OIP.o9ZzUISEP3ZwVRMPoSKgOAEsDK&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

th?id=OIP.bStiEwrqVLfVImqpXSuBSAHaJw&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

th?id=OIP.L8nwdSxB0plJ4-T7Olx0YwHaHZ&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

Was at last years, Edinburgh sci-fi con. Went along with the bairn. Really nice guy.

John Findlay

Brilliant actor, 

His Yosser Hughes, will go down in television history, as on of the greatest TV characters ever written and acted.

RIP Bernard Hill. Thanks for the great acting memories.

Tazio
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Brilliant actor, 

His Yosser Hughes, will go down in television history, as on of the greatest TV characters ever written and acted.

RIP Bernard Hill. Thanks for the great acting memories.

It always makes me sad how the Yosser character became a comedy catchphrase for people. One of the most tragic arcs of a character in any piece of television drama watching his life dissolve over the course of the show. 

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It always makes me sad how the Yosser character became a comedy catchphrase for people. One of the most tragic arcs of a character in any piece of television drama watching his life dissolve over the course of the show. 

I agree. Brilliantly written by Alan Bleasdale, and brilliantly acted by Bernard Hill.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

This. 

Saw it as a kid without really seeing his demise. Watched it a few years ago and it's a brutal commentary of the times. 

Cranston
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

This. 

Saw it as a kid without really seeing his demise. Watched it a few years ago and it's a brutal commentary of the times. 

I watched the pre cursor original play 'The Black Stuff', prior to the 'Boys from the Black Stuff'. 

It was a lighter play than the series, and was superb. The series was brill too, of course, with Hill playing Yosser Hughes excellently. 

If you haven't seen the original play, I hope you get a chance to see it. It was a right good laugh, especially, the end chase scenes. Brilliant. 

RIP Bernard Hill.

maroondevo52

Loved the "you look like me' quote to Souness.

The White Cockade
2 hours ago, maroondevo52 said:

Loved the "you look like me' quote to Souness.

fantastic series

fantastic actor

IMG_9636.jpeg

Lone Striker
10 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

fantastic series

fantastic actor

IMG_9636.jpeg

Yep, versatile with an alluring presence on screen & stage.

The scene above with Souness was incredibly poignant (as well as funny) - Yosser broke down the barrier between his tragic crumbling life of poverty and the mega-riches, fame and lavish lifestyle of a guy who looked just like him.   Brilliant script writing by Bleasdale.

I'd forgotten that Julie Walters got her breakthrough in that series.   Michael Angelis was in it too - originally in the Liver Birds, and later narrated Thomas the Tank Engine !!

The White Cockade
13 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yep, versatile with an alluring presence on screen & stage.

The scene above with Souness was incredibly poignant (as well as funny) - Yosser broke down the barrier between his tragic crumbling life of poverty and the mega-riches, fame and lavish lifestyle of a guy who looked just like him.   Brilliant script writing by Bleasdale.

I'd forgotten that Julie Walters got her breakthrough in that series.   Michael Angelis was in it too - originally in the Liver Birds, and later narrated Thomas the Tank Engine !!

was a tremendous programme but also extremely depressing and some of the sadder scenes bring tears to my eyes even now 

Those were incredibly hard times and the whinging wet wipes of today who think they have it tough have no idea of how harsh life can actually be

RIP Bernard/Yosser

IMG_9637.jpeg

JFK-1

I always thought his Yosser was one of the greatest ever UK television drama performances. He was so realistic he could almost intimidate you through the screen which reminded me of something I once saw Jodie Foster say.

She acted with De Niro when she was about 11, she said he was so realistic he was frightening her and that was something she ended up using in her role.

I think Bernard and Yosser could have scared her witless.

Day@theraces

And Rohan will answer. Part of arguaboy one of the greatest scenes in movie history as the Rohirrim charged at pelennor fields.

Seaside Dave

Rip theoden king of Rohan 

JFK-1

I have never watched any LOR, maybe I should get around to it. I'm not a great fan of fantasy but while never having seen the films I have seen clips, that's unavoidable, and it's impressive cinema with a stellar cast.

We're in an age where for the first time we have the technology to stage fantasy realistically. No disrespect to attempts from earlier eras when they didn't have this tech, I can still watch 1930's King Kong but it does not look anything like real.

The current state of the art is barely even the same field in comparison to that and can only get even better. I think this clip was the first time I thought WOW and got a better idea of exactly what they were now capable of. And this is now old tech from 2009.

Tazio

Well, that’s an impressive amount of going off topic to share your thoughts with the people that are lucky enough to see them. 

17 hours ago, Tazio said:

Spot on, it was desperately sad.

Seaside Dave

Watch the 3 hobbits then Lord of the rings after in one sitting. 18 plus hours of pure brilliance. 

JudyJudyJudy

May he rest in peace . “ the boys from the black stuff “ was a hard watch . 

Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
spear shall be shaken, shield shall be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now, ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!
Death! Death! Death!
Forth Eorlingas!

RIP

rudi must stay

If you want an underrated bit of TV he was in From There To Here. Thoroughly enjoyed it and Hill is good in it too

frankblack
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

If you want an underrated bit of TV he was in From There To Here. Thoroughly enjoyed it and Hill is good in it too

He was on tv last night in The Responder at 9pm BBC 1.

That may have been his last recorded appearance.

If you look through his filmography and TV, it is extremely impressive.

Sad loss.  RIP.