Shankland

Absolute Scenes

Birregrande
Posted (edited)

Thread reeks of methadone, Leith sewage, and pyramid bottoms. How did they get on at Ross County? :hobo::seething:

Edited by Birregrande

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Absolute Scenes

• BackOfTheNet

• LogicalEric

• PaddysBar

Top Posters In This Topic

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, hearts00 said:

Yep, Tagawa clearly not doing something right as surprised by his lack of minutes. 

I'm not,  from what I've seen Shankland is far better than Tagawa.

Based on what I've seen I'd never start Tagawa in front if Shankland unless the game was meaningless or Shanks was Injured.

The chance at 2-0 v celtic just sums up his time with us so far.

Absolutely howling.

Batistuta87

Honestly don't think anyone will pay us what it'll take to part with him, so he'll be with us at least another year. 

joondalupjambo

Play him against Dundee, rest him for St Mirren and against Rangers a sub unless we need to take any points off them to stop them winning the league.  Shanks is knackered.  Sensible to have him nice and rested for the Euros.

Bad Religion

Why does all of our ‘good players’ form always  drop off to the point they leave for FA? 

The Guy must be knackered. For the first time in his career he’s played all league games almost, all cup games. Europe and Scotland…

he’s also got a new born. The captaincy and being asked to come deeper and almost play 2 roles….

if Kilmarnock lose tomorrow he should be rested in place of Wilson for the remainder of the season with a cameo on the last day. 

Absolute Scenes
42 minutes ago, Birregrande said:

Thread reeks of methadone, Leith sewage, and pyramid bottoms. How did they get on at Ross County? :hobo::seething:

Look at post history, clearly not a Hibs fan

like all players who haven’t been on it for weeks, its right to call out that Shankland has been off it. Whether that’s down to management not resting him, the contract situation…who knows. but it’s okay to call it out

Hibs are a fecking comedy club and Rocky is the new Zibi

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Jamboross said:

I think it's as simple as he needs a rest, he plays every minute of every game and with the amount of dropping deep he does he must cover a lot of ground each week. I'd start him on the bench against Dundee and St Mirren. Let some combination of Tagawa, Oda and Vargas start and Shanks can come on for a bit if we're desperate for a goal. 

agree with this. I have said for a few games that Shankland looks tired. I think the problem is that Shankland will probably will not want dropped as he is club captain and will be chasing the goal record, but I would sell it to him as a chance to rest for the Euros. As you say come off the bench against Dundee and St Mirren. 

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, hearts00 said:

Or answer B he has played almost every minute this season, is fatigued and has had no one to remotely share the load.  

Correct 

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

No back up. 

Playing Vargas as a forward instead of a winger was the answer. He’s shown enough that he can be an effective striker

Bull's-eye

On current form he won't be going to the Euros.

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

They are though. He’s given the ball at the edge of the area and everything slows down. His touches are heavy and laboured and his shooting speaks for itself on todays viewings. Where is he?

As I said, "Aliens."

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

If I’m Steve Clarke and I’m watching him on his recent form, I’m having second thoughts. 
if Shankland is playing the way he is because he’s fatigued, why isn’t he telling management and getting rested? We’ve got enough versatility in the team to shake things up with him out the team.

Absolute Scenes
Just now, colinmaroon said:

As I said, "Aliens."

😂😂

stevie
2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

If I’m Steve Clarke and I’m watching him on his recent form, I’m having second thoughts. 
if Shankland is playing the way he is because he’s fatigued, why isn’t he telling management and getting rested? We’ve got enough versatility in the team to shake things up with him out the team.

Adam’s and Dykes are already on the plane,we’ve got nobody else other than Shanks.A pretty poor time for Scotland from an attacking POV but that suits Shanks as he’s a certainty to be on the plane.

Bull's-eye
17 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

He's not fatigued at all in my opinion, he's trying way to hard to impress and totally forgotten how he got a call up in the 1st place.

He's a predatorial finisher, his game is not about playing with his back to goal as a number 10 trying to be the new Harry Kane.

Unfortunately he holds all the cards and is pretty much in an undroppable position with us.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think we just need tell Shanks to stay up top and let players like Barrie McKay pick up the lose stuff outside the box, McKay is a player who likes to drift infield anyway and can pick a pass. It looks like being captain means Shankland feels he has to do more work away from the box and the extra effort is draining his energy now especially his reaction time to chances. 

Clerry Jambo
5 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

He's not fatigued at all in my opinion, he's trying way to hard to impress and totally forgotten how he got a call up in the 1st place.

He's a predatorial finisher, his game is not about playing with his back to goal as a number 10 trying to be the new Harry Kane.

Unfortunately he holds all the cards and is pretty much in an undroppable position with us.

Agree he’s a proper number 9 but it’s the modern day way that coaches want to tinker with players/positions etc 

PaddysBar
45 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

On season form he's quite rightly already there. 

Daft comment. 

PaddysBar
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

He’s already on the plane, especially in an extended squad. 

No international manager who’s going to the Euros would make such a crazy decision not to include him. 

Edit - especially with 3 games to go in the league. 

Edited by PaddysBar

Pans Jambo
3 hours ago, jambo89 said:

He’s been dug meat since his Scotland call up.

This. Sadly. 

FIGJAM
3 hours ago, Homme said:

He's absolutely done in. Had played almost every second of every game this season. 

Not many players in the league being asked to do that.

Worried for him. I hope he does not get ask to play all 270 remaining minutes. Looks tired.

FIGJAM
2 hours ago, red said:

The Guy must be knackered. For the first time in his career he’s played all league games almost, all cup games. Europe and Scotland…

he’s also got a new born. The captaincy and being asked to come deeper and almost play 2 roles….

if Kilmarnock lose tomorrow he should be rested in place of Wilson for the remainder of the season with a cameo on the last day. 

I agree. Hearts should use Shankland sparingly over last few games. Get him minutes in each game and allow crowd to celebrate his introduction / departure in each game. But at very least, let’s play  those that are here next season.

KyleLafferty

He’s our man, our number 9. Our best player since Rudi. But I genuinely think he needs to shed weight. It helps him against bigger defenders but it’s torture trying to watch him run 😂

1874Jambo
5 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Unpopular opinion for him.

He's not getting a move to Rangers. He's also not getting ahead of Dykes and Adams. And that's not bashing him btw.

Your decision in the summer, chief.

100% this, he's going nowhere, the semi really showed him up there's not a bigger club than us that will take a chance on him

Hearts1975
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

agree with this. I have said for a few games that Shankland looks tired. I think the problem is that Shankland will probably will not want dropped as he is club captain and will be chasing the goal record, but I would sell it to him as a chance to rest for the Euros. As you say come off the bench against Dundee and St Mirren. 

I have a further theory with this. Everyone is saying that Tagawa isn't good enough, not doing enough in training to merit replacing shanks etc etc and that's probably very much the case ...

But, and I say but, if Shanks wants to play, and has made that clear, I wonder if there is also a bit of resistance with SN to drop him, or give him a rest, whilst he is hoping that he decides to sign another contract with us 

Even in games this season, there has been very very few occasions in games where we have subbed Shanks. Like, I get it, and I get exactly why SN would do this given the contract situation - it's not a criticism of SN, by any matter of means, but I just think there has been opportunities in games, to take Shanks off, and give him a rest, but for whatever reason, we haven't took that opportunity, when it was presented. 

Edited by Hearts1975

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

I have a further theory with this. Everyone is saying that Tagawa isn't good enough, not doing enough in training to merit replacing shanks etc etc and that's probably very well the case ...

But, and I say but, if Shanks wants to play, and has made that clear, I wonder if there is also a bit of resistance with SN to drop him, or give him a rest, whilst he is hoping that he decides to sign another contract with us 

Even in games this season, there has been very very few occasions in games where we have subbed Shanks. Like, I get it and I get exactly why SN would do this given the contract situation - it's not a criticism of SN, by any matter of means, but I just think there has been opportunities in games, to take Shanks off, and give him a break, but for whatever reason we haven't took that option when presented. 

Would agree with that. I think its you cant not play your captain, top scorer and best player. And I do think Shankland wants to play every minute and a dry spell like this with goals will even more to get back on it.

He has only been subbed once this season, with 11 minutes to go against Rangers when we were 5-0 down. I think I remember Shankland being annoyed when he was subbed.

Hearts1975
8 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Would agree with that. I think its you cant not play your captain, top scorer and best player. And I do think Shankland wants to play every minute and a dry spell like this with goals will even more to get back on it.

He has only been subbed once this season, with 11 minutes to go against Rangers when we were 5-0 down. I think I remember Shankland being annoyed when he was subbed.

Yup. Your correct in what you are saying. If it's a case that the underlying reason is not to upset him, certainly until he makes a decision on his future, but justification from the manager is that we don't have someone good enough to replace him

I mean, who are we to argue with that, given his obvious importance to us 

Russ1977
15 hours ago, escobri said:

Lazy, and it's obvious that he likes pies.

He might like pies but he’s certainly not lazy. His biggest problem is he’s barely in the box as he’s dropping so deep to get involved. At one point yesterday he was almost playing centre half. 

Bainy

Third wrapped up, 0 completion for hid place. Does so much more than just scores goals though some people forget that. 

King prawn

His whole career has been like this. He goes through phases of not doing much and then others where everything he touches results in a goal

Sinbad the Sailor

He's not scored for a while. Big deal it happens. Even Haaland has had a poor run a few times. Lay off Shanks and stop greetin'.

BackOfTheNet
Posted (edited)

I understand some fans may come off as ungrateful for what Shankland has done for us this season when criticising his performances, but to be fair in isolation his performances since the international break have been honking bar the Livingston game. He is allowed to be criticised when not playing well.

And no player should be undroppable, I mean Pep dropped Haaland FFS, he comes back in and bashes in 4 goals. Shankland got dropped for Humphrys last season and came back in and scored a hat trick against Celtic. Some players need that feeling of being disrespected to prove a point.

The way he’s going though, the Scottish journalists are going to feel justified in not giving him the POTY and Steve Clarke is going to feel justified in leaving him on the bench for the entirety of the Euros. Kilmarnock are 9 points behind us and need to win 3 of their 4 last games and for us to lose every game to get 3rd, they play both the OF in those 4, if now is not the time to rest him and give others a chance, I’m not sure when is.

There’s also the possibility of players not being 100% on their game for fear in the back of their mind they’re one injury away from missing an international tournament, former world class players have admitted to this, so let’s not think Shankland could be any different.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

132goals1958
4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I understand some fans may come off as ungrateful for what Shankland has done for us this season when criticising his performances, but to be fair in isolation his performances since the international break have been honking bar the Livingston game. He is allowed to be criticised when not playing well.

And no player should be undroppable, I mean Pep dropped Haaland FFS, he comes back in and bashes in 4 goals. Shankland got dropped for Humphrys last season and came back in and scored a hat trick against Celtic. Some players need that feeling of being disrespected to prove a point.

The way he’s going though, the Scottish journalists are going to feel justified in not giving him the POTY and Steve Clarke is going to feel justified in leaving him on the bench for the entirety of the Euros. Kilmarnock are 9 points behind us and need to win 3 of their 4 last games and for us to lose every game to get 3rd, they play both the OF in those 4, if now is not the time to rest him and give others a chance, I’m not sure when is.

There’s also the possibility of players not being 100% on their game for fear in the back of their mind they’re one injury away from missing an international tournament, former world class players have admitted to this, so let’s not think Shankland could be any different.

Kilmarnock better not be nine points behind us or I will be demanding a steward’s enquiry 

brawlad74

Defo showing frustration during recent games and could have easily had 2 yellows yest. Sure he just needs to find the net again to rediscover mojo but agree Naisy should be looking to reduce his mins where possible. 

jock _turd

He will not move until there is an offer. There has been none, I think that is telling. I don't think any team is going to make a big money offer for him. If he moves it will be as a free agent,. For what its worth I think Hearts hold the cards not him, we can make him an offer and wait to see what transpires.  

BackOfTheNet
36 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Kilmarnock better not be nine points behind us or I will be demanding a steward’s enquiry 

Oh jeez, eleven it is then! :lol: My excuse is it’s early and may still be above the driving limit from last night…

Still, all the more reason to rest some players and give a chance to others then!

ramrod
14 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

What  a lot of nonsense,  Shankland is 100 % on the plane to Germany unless he picks up an injury  

Carter
16 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

I'm still waiting for Tagawa to get a decent pass.

You have been paying attention, Sir 👍

132goals1958
13 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Oh jeez, eleven it is then! :lol: My excuse is it’s early and may still be above the driving limit from last night…

Still, all the more reason to rest some players and give a chance to others then!

👍

spacerjoe
17 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

He’s been the best striker we’ve had (stats wise) since Robbo, brought us some incredible goals and moments.

however at the moment, we are not seeing the same player we saw earlier on. 

Despite what he says in the press, the contract situation is definitely up in the air and is causing some kind of unrest between him. He’s well off the pace, the same touches that would take it effortlessly take it past defenders and going anywhere but near the goal. 

hindsight is a great thing, but there have weeks he’s started, played and stayed on when other players who’ve played better have made way for him. 

We need to be looking at a new striker, not to replace him, but to bring competition to the position if he does end up staying. For a captain and goal scorer he’s not been Good enough recently and cannot continue to be undroppable; a toxic aspect for a dressing room where a player clearly not at his best, is constantly starting and completing games, captain or not.

He hasn't scored in 3 games. Just 3. And those 3 games have been:

Rangers at Hampden

Killie away

Celtic away

He's definitely looked less deadly since playing for Scotland. That missed chance might have gotten to him but, who knows. Maybe he's just a bit knackered.

But not scoring for 3 games is hardly being out of form, especially looking at who we've just played.

LogicalEric

Wild folk are choosing to criticise him. Definitely reeks of therapy after Monty's "they'd have been delighted with a 1-1 draw" patter.

Imo we miss a forward with pace i.e Ginnelly. The amount of times Shankland drops deep and is looking for runners yet has zero movement is ridiculous.

BackOfTheNet
42 minutes ago, LogicalEric said:

Wild folk are choosing to criticise him. Definitely reeks of therapy after Monty's "they'd have been delighted with a 1-1 draw" patter.

Imo we miss a forward with pace i.e Ginnelly. The amount of times Shankland drops deep and is looking for runners yet has zero movement is ridiculous.

Oh FFS, no one is beyond criticism. No one is saying he doesn’t deserve his Hearts POTY award, no one is saying he isn’t our best player or most valuable asset - what people are saying is he’s been shite in every game since the international break barring the Livi game. And this is true. Both things can simultaneously be true. Ask the man himself and he’d agree, I’m sure. Stop being so tribalistic and blinkered about it.

Carter
50 minutes ago, LogicalEric said:

Why does Shankland need to drop so deep when Jorge Grant is in the team? 

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, LogicalEric said:

Thats the managers fault though by playing Grant beside him and the clueless Forrest to his left. Oda does more than both in his rare opportunities. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, brawlad74 said:

Defo showing frustration during recent games and could have easily had 2 yellows yest. Sure he just needs to find the net again to rediscover mojo but agree Naisy should be looking to reduce his mins where possible. 

In hindsight a second yellow and a one game suspension may not have been the worst thing. 

Harry Potter
17 hours ago, Scott Monument said:

He needs other players to contribute it’s a big ask to expect him to consistently do everything on his own 

very good point.

swilso
1 hour ago, spacerjoe said:

He hasn't scored in 3 games. Just 3. And those 3 games have been:

Rangers at Hampden

Killie away

Celtic away

He's definitely looked less deadly since playing for Scotland. That missed chance might have gotten to him but, who knows. Maybe he's just a bit knackered.

But not scoring for 3 games is hardly being out of form, especially looking at who we've just played.

He hasn't scored in open play for 10 games, including the 2 Scotland games.

spacerjoe
3 minutes ago, swilso said:

He hasn't scored in open play for 10 games, including the 2 Scotland games.

Thats a moot point.

If he'd scored a penalty in each of the last three games, this thread wouldn't exist.