Chris McClure aka Christian

been here before

been here before

Erstwhile pantomime performer, chicken in a basket style entertainer and beloved Miners Welfare artist Christan has checked out age 80.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cqvny76pg9eo

Something sticks he was a big Motherwell fan. Anyhow this is surely what must be his finest moment:

John Findlay

Was a director of Motherwell.

Screenshot_20240503-163133~2.png

micole

Did a few gigs on the same bill as him back in the day club/ pub circut. Always found him a very down to earth guy, his band " The Section " were very good. RIP.

the posh bit

He was on the telly a fair bit in the 80s. Sad news. 

manaliveits105

His band played at the Cavendish for years one of his songs was always the last dance - Please Stay 

WorldChampions1902

My missus used to work with a photographer at the Baron Suite (remember that?) and said Christian regularly performed there. Seemingly a really nice bloke. RIP.

Tazio

A mate used to work at the Pavilion Theatre in Glasgow where Christian was in the pan to every year. Apparently an absolutely top bloke who nobody had a bad word to say about. Which is unusual in the Pavilion. 

Auld Reekin'
2 hours ago, micole said:

Did a few gigs on the same bill as him back in the day club/ pub circut. Always found him a very down to earth guy, his band " The Section " were very good. RIP.

I saw him at the Usher Hall ('74? '75?), on the bill with Billy Connolly. The Chris McClure Section were the opening act and then "Christian" appeared in one or two sketches with BC. One of these featured Billy as a missionary(!) and Christian as a cannibal, complete with grass-skirt, spear, and cooking-cauldron... :ermm: 

Welcome to the 1970s, kids! :thumbsup:

i wish jj was my dad

I don't remember much about him beyond 'I have a dream' but grown ups at the time all liked him. 

jimbojambo
14 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

His band played at the Cavendish for years one of his songs was always the last dance - Please Stay 

I remember him playing there with his band later on when it was called Clouds. We got the Chris MacLure section one night and Midge Ure with Salvation the next night covering mostly the hits of the day. They were great nights so thank you Chris. You will be missed RIP