Tornado footage

JFK-1

JFK-1

Tornado season here in tornado alley and this is some good footage from the fringes of a tornado in Nebraska a few days ago. Four people were killed by a tornado in Oklahoma last week, the one in this video isn't as big or powerful as that one was.

I primed the video to begin just over a minute and a half into it when the effects of being at the outer edges become evident.

the posh bit

I know a girl who's flying to Denver next week to go storm chasing. 

JFK-1
3 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

I know a girl who's flying to Denver next week to go storm chasing. 

I would do that.

the posh bit
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

I would do that.

It sounded pretty cool, tbh. 

JFK-1

I have been in Oklahoma for 12 years and never seen a tornado, but heard the sirens scores of times. Every time one came anywhere near me it's always been at night and even the chasers can't see it in the dark. 

Ray Gin

Aye it looks gei blustery.

Wtf would anyone choose to live in Tornado Alley? It doesn't seem the wisest of places to set up home.

Daktari
11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Wtf would anyone choose to live in Tornado Alley? It doesn't seem the wisest of places to set up home.

I've said it before - there's a lot to be said for putting up with drizzle and midges.....

Tazio

Tell you what hen, as soon as bits o’ hooses start hoorin’ past the windae I’m going to stand there and film it.

Nae worries Hank, just dinnae be a fud and hud yer phone the wrong way and film it in portrait. 

JFK-1
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Because it's a massive area of land and like I said, I have been in tornado alley for 12 years and never seen one. Why would anyone not come here to drill that sweet oil, Oklahoma was once covered by an extensive inland sea. The heat is more of a major problem for me than the tornados.   

Tazio
Just now, Pap said:

It can drop houses on bad people 😎

What’s she gonna look like with a chimney on her? 

Kalamazoo Jambo
31 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I wouldn’t live in Tornado Alley for various reasons, only one of which is tornados.

Michigan gets hit too but much less frequently. The Kalamazoo tornado of 1980 killed 5 people. It took the one side off the Gilmore Brothers department store, a building I lived in  many years later when it was converted into apartments (they did add the wall back otherwise I’d have asked for a discount on the rent)…

IMG_2136.jpeg

TheBigO

This one in the early 90s was my favourite tornado

image.jpeg.dda1958503f89c7920918193d405e136.jpeg

Tazio
2 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Sounds like something you wish you hadn't looked up on Urban Dictionary.

You’re thinking of a Chicago sunroof. 

That thing you do
29 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Because it's a massive area of land and like I said, I have been in tornado alley for 12 years and never seen one. Why would anyone not come here to drill that sweet oil, Oklahoma was once covered by an extensive inland sea. The heat is more of a major problem for me than the tornados.   

Yep. I live in an earthquake zone and have experienced a few 6.9+ quakes but a) the house is built to withstand them and weve had 0 damage b) the trade off of 340 days of sun and outdoor lifestyle means I can deal with 30 secs of shaking every year or so.

26 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I wouldn’t live in Tornado Alley for various reasons, only one of which is tornados.

Michigan gets hit too but much less frequently. The Kalamazoo tornado of 1980 killed 5 people. It took the one side off the Gilmore Brothers department store, a building I lived in  many years later when it was converted into apartments (they did add the wall back otherwise I’d have asked for a discount on the rent)…

IMG_2136.jpeg

Like something out of the Edinburgh History thread.

JFK-1
20 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

IMG_2136.jpeg

The most devastating tornado of my time in Oklahoma came in 2013 a year after I first came here.

On the afternoon of May 20, 2013, a large and extremely violent EF5 tornado ravaged Moore, Oklahoma, and adjacent areas, with peak winds estimated at 210 miles per hour (340 km/h), killing 24 people (plus two indirect fatalities) and injuring 212 others.

FEMA_Aerial_view_of_May_20,_2013_Moore,_

EF5Moore1.jpg

An EF5 will level everything in the way right down to the ground as you can see in the pics, it can strip the tarmac off the road. This tornado also stuck in my memory due to the fact it hit and completely leveled a school during school time.

I was listening to the live broadcasts of the chasers that day and they told us "it's going to hit a school, oh my God the school is completely gone"

0558aff1d2db93fac9e52672828ca601.jpg?w=6

Miraculously no one was killed in the school, uncanny when you look at the aftermath and consider they had to be dug out of the that.

maxresdefault.jpg

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

The most devastating tornado of my time in Oklahoma came in 2013 a year after I first came here.

Yeah, I remember that one. Awful.

redjambo

Out of interest, do most people in common tornado paths have underground tornado bunkers? Are they mandatory?

Tazio
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Out of interest, do most people in common tornado paths have underground tornado bunkers? Are they mandatory?

I think a hell of a lot of people in those states live on trailer parks. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

in large parts of Tornado Alley the ground isn’t suitable for basements etc so I believe it’s pretty limited, and certainly not mandatory (where I am in Michigan pretty much everyone has a basement, albeit not specifically storm cellars).

You can get above ground storm cellars but ultimately the cost deters a lot of people.

redjambo
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I think a hell of a lot of people in those states live on trailer parks. 

I could imagine the destruction that would be caused by a tornado going through a trailer park!

1 minute ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

in large parts of Tornado Alley the ground isn’t suitable for basements etc so I believe it’s pretty limited, and certainly not mandatory (where I am in Michigan pretty much everyone has a basement).

That's a pity. I would have hoped that everyone would have an opportunity to seek safe refuge underground when they knew one of these things was coming at them.

trotter

Looking at the weather radar tracks this morning, the storm cell that hit Texas overnight and into the afternoon today covered a quarter of the state. 

The amount of rain that came down made my pool and my garden become the same thing. 

Canscot
Posted (edited)

I experienced this one first hand in 1987.

27 dead,  300 odd injured. Scary stuff. I think it rained every day for a month afterwards. Not sure that is linked to a tornado or not but it did. I even blew train tanker cars off the tracks in the rail yard. Can you imagine??

Having trouble copying and pasting link into post🤷‍♂️

Edited by Canscot

JFK-1
33 minutes ago, trotter said:

Looking at the weather radar tracks this morning, the storm cell that hit Texas overnight and into the afternoon today covered a quarter of the state. 

The amount of rain that came down made my pool and my garden become the same thing. 

Rain has been a big issue here too or at least for me it has been. A few days ago I had just left the house on a 25 minute journey when it began to rain. The highway is maybe a couple of miles away and by the time I get there it's blinding.

All I get is a very brief glimpse of what's ahead on the wiper upsweep but i'm pretty much largely driving blind. And what can you do? Can't stop, if I stop chances are something is going to immediately run into me, it was hazardous.

It was also coming down so heavily the road itself was becoming a river and I could feel myself beginning to wriggle on it but too worried about what's behind me to even slow down.

I put on the hazard lights and the fog lamp, Americans for some reason typically don't use their hazard lights. Or Oklahomans don't.

Kalamazoo Jambo
30 minutes ago, Canscot said:

I experienced this one first hand in 1987.

27 dead,  300 odd injured. Scary stuff. I think it rained every day for a month afterwards. Not sure that is linked to a tornado or not but it did. I even blew train tanker cars off the tracks in the rail yard. Can you imagine??

Having trouble copying and pasting link into post🤷‍♂️

Assume it was this…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_tornado

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/terrifying-edmontons-mayor-drove-cab-during-july-1987-black-friday-tornado

JFK-1

I have set the video to begin at a moment when somebody is filming a tornado trying to form. It's interesting stuff because at one point you can see a lot of thin rope like twisters all roving around in the same camera shot trying to get together.

Prior to that you will also hear a cameraman tell someone they should "get inside, it's coming" 

It's a woman out walking dogs and despite the fact the sirens are sounding it's not as dumb as it may seem to be out there. I have been here 12 years, heard the sirens sound dozens of times, never seen a tornado.

People become inured to the sirens, they cried wolf too many times so to speak. This is why it's advisable to watch and listen to the chasers which I always do, they can tell you where it is from street to street but where I am at least they often tend to come at night and are invisible to the chasers.

hughesie27
24 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Currently under a tornado warning (we think a tornado likely came within a couple of miles of us). So hooray for basements.

Edit: yeah…

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2024/05/07/tornado-confirmed-in-michigan/73605562007/

Friends who live about half a mile away reporting their roof was ripped off.

Kalamazoo Jambo
13 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Thanks, don’t think we’ll know the full extent of damage until tomorrow but at least three families we know sustained damage to their homes. Not aware of any people hurt so far.

hughesie27
Just now, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Thanks, don’t think we’ll know the full extent of damage until tomorrow but at least three families we know sustained damage to their homes. Not aware of any people hurt so far.

They guy on there was just looked st a FedEx building that's been badly hit with 30 or so people sheltering inside.

Kalamazoo Jambo
12 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

They guy on there was just looked st a FedEx building that's been badly hit with 30 or so people sheltering inside.

Yeah, looks bad. Here’s a strip mall a couple of miles down the road from me…

IMG_3782.jpeg

hughesie27
Just now, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Yeah, looks bad. Here’s a strip mall a couple of miles down the road from me…

IMG_3782.jpeg

3inch diameter hail going through I69 just now too.

Stay safe!

Kalamazoo Jambo
44 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

3inch diameter hail going through I69 just now too.

Stay safe!

:thumbsup:

Kalamazoo Jambo

Tons of damage extending for miles around us, but somehow we were completely unscathed and didn’t even lose power. Glad to hear there was (as far as we know) no loss of life.

This is from the neighbourhood that we back onto…

… and drone footage from the aftermath at a local mobile home park…