Man Utd squad

JFK-1

JFK-1

Seems Utd are open to offers for pretty much the entire squad, what a rebuild this is going to be, and how much is their squad actually worth.

Manchester United are open to offers for almost all of their squad, as they look to refresh the team and generate funds under new co-owner Ineos. United have spent about £1bn assembling their current squad over the past few years, but have endured a disappointing season under Erik ten Hag.

Given they will miss out on Champions League football next year they will need to maximise player sales in order to spend - something BBC Sport's chief football news writer Simon Stone says they have been "poor at in the past".

United's most recent accounts show a total wage bill of £331m and an average weekly wage for players of £154,000 - both the fourth-highest totals behind Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

So what is the value of their squad? As ever with football transfers, it depends on who crunches the numbers.

BBC Sport worked with two respected football data and research providers CIES Football Observatory, external and Transfermarkt, external to calculate the approximate market value of United’s players.

Full BBC article https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cz74jgj8ej1o

kingantti1874

Need to empty the manager AND most of the squad 

buzzbomb1958
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Need to empty the manager AND most of the squad 

They will never be the team they were , the Fergie smell hangs about the place , it seems whoever they get is just totally intimidated by the job in hand

kingantti1874
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

They will never be the team they were , the Fergie smell hangs about the place , it seems whoever they get is just totally intimidated by the job in hand

no dynasty lasts forever.  City will fall as soon a pep goes or the 115 charges catch up with them, and Liverpool are going to struggle post klopp. United have a long road back but they have the spending advantage.  

Arsenal look best placed if they can keep hold of Arteta 

Edited by kingantti1874

Mikey1874
35 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Seems Utd are open to offers for pretty much the entire squad, what a rebuild this is going to be, and how much is their squad actually worth.

Manchester United are open to offers for almost all of their squad, as they look to refresh the team and generate funds under new co-owner Ineos. United have spent about £1bn assembling their current squad over the past few years, but have endured a disappointing season under Erik ten Hag.

Given they will miss out on Champions League football next year they will need to maximise player sales in order to spend - something BBC Sport's chief football news writer Simon Stone says they have been "poor at in the past".

United's most recent accounts show a total wage bill of £331m and an average weekly wage for players of £154,000 - both the fourth-highest totals behind Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

So what is the value of their squad? As ever with football transfers, it depends on who crunches the numbers.

BBC Sport worked with two respected football data and research providers CIES Football Observatory, external and Transfermarkt, external to calculate the approximate market value of United’s players.

Full BBC article https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cz74jgj8ej1o

No

Made up story

the posh bit
23 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

They could be a major force again easily enough. 

JFK-1
2 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

They're still in the top 6  in the worlds richest league, that would be good enough for most. Fergie seems to have spoiled some clubs, after he manages them they develop a sense of entitlement that can last decades.

Utd were like Liverpool were for decades before Klopp, until Fergie rolled up Utd hadn't won a title in almost 30 years. 

brownkg

Whilst we get excited about the  £5 million euro boost the average united player gets north of £7million a year

buzzbomb1958
53 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

No I absolutely think they have got the Fergie jinx re St Midden , Aberdeen, on a different level I know but it seems Man united have caught it also 

soonbe110
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

no dynasty lasts forever.  City will fall as soon a pep goes or the 115 charges catch up with them, and Liverpool are going to struggle post klopp. United have a long road back but they have the spending advantage.  

Arsenal look best placed if they can keep hold of Arteta 

He will only leave for Barca and even then it won’t be for 4/5 years. 

the posh bit
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

No I absolutely think they have got the Fergie jinx re St Midden , Aberdeen, on a different level I know but it seems Man united have caught it also 

St Midden won two cups post Fergie. 

Edited by the posh bit

jambo89
Posted (edited)

There is no doubt they are under achieving. They have the largest wage budget outside Chelsea and Man City (although who knows how much they pay!? It could be 115 times the amount posted in their account's!!).

There is no doubt they are one of the biggest clubs* in the world, but they need to p**s or get off the pot when it comes to a manager / football philosophy. 

*read clubs as companies in this day and age!! 

Edited by jambo89

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Its a club wide problem which has come from the very top. The Glaziers have little interest in Man Utd as long as it gives them their money. Man Utd did well earlier under them because Fergie and David Gill were effectively running everything. Then the two left at the same time. Since then there has been no overall control over decisions at the club. No direction. There is a lot of money spent on players and transfers but no structure to it. 

I would say that is why there is the hope that Ratcliffe will provide that direction and leadership but stories released today suggests they are more interested in PR than any real serious plans.

Pasquale for King
50 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

There is no doubt they are under achieving. They have the largest wage budget outside Chelsea and Man City (although who knows how much they pay!? It could be 115 times the amount posted in their account's!!).

There is no doubt they are one of the biggest clubs* in the world, but they need to p**s or get off the pot when it comes to a manager / football philosophy. 

*read clubs as companies in this day and age!! 

Not sure they’re underachieving, they have paid over the odds for has beens and young guys that ETH can’t improve and aren’t good enough.
An absolute basket case and no great manager will go near them, hence Southgate or Potter being mentioned as the next guy. 

Pasquale for King

If you thought they couldn’t get a bigger bunch of ***** than the Glazers they get Sir Jim Ratcliffe instead, love watching their spiral into mediocrity. 
They are ten years into their period in the wilderness, they have another decade hopefully. 

Tazio
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

If you thought they couldn’t get a bigger bunch of ***** than the Glazers they get Sir Jim Ratcliffe instead, love watching their spiral into mediocrity. 
They are ten years into their period in the wilderness, they have another decade hopefully. 

Ratcliffe is seen as the saviour. Let’s look at his record. Team Sky cycling have declined hugely since he bought them and promised the world. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Absolutely. Not only the smell but he is there too, and his assistant McLaren 😆

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Ratcliffe is seen as the saviour. Let’s look at his record. Team Sky cycling have declined hugely since he bought them and promised the world. 

Lets hope he keeps that record up 😆.

Herbert.

Man utd up for sale and hibs have 6M burning a hole in their pocket. 

We're no getting 3rd next season 😂

BigAlim

Genuine question, if McTominay was called Tominho or Tomcao would he be seen as so dispensable?

JimmyCant
12 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Been thinking this for a while. They need to find a polite and respectful way to get Ferguson away from the club completely. He’s got so much awe  and presence about him and he’s probably still got the ears and minds of the board/owners in his pocket (whether intentionally or not)

JimmyCant
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Genuine question, if McTominay was called Tominho or Tomcao would he be seen as so dispensable?

Would he be a better player if he changed his name ? Being a key for Scotland doesn’t really cut it with the elite clubs down there. Outwith McGinn and Robertson there isn’t anyone in the Scotland set up consistently making a difference at the top end of the EPL. Mctominay would be sidelined in a decent Man Utd side

Edited by JimmyCant

Weebroon98

i think there biggest problem will be players not wanting to take pay cuts and other clubs not being able to afford the ridiculous wages some of them are on

Rudy T

With a bit of luck the whole ridiculous circus that’s English football will collapse on its own arse soon! The money that gets flashed about down there is sickening and has in no small part contributed to the demise of our own game. As for Man Utd there’s some short memories down there it’s all tears and snotters at their neighbours success, when it wasn’t so long ago they were doing the same thing. They also like to pretend they’re not spending hideous amounts of cash only they’re getting worse and City keep on winning.

Hagar the Horrible
12 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

With a bit of luck the whole ridiculous circus that’s English football will collapse on its own arse soon! The money that gets flashed about down there is sickening and has in no small part contributed to the demise of our own game. As for Man Utd there’s some short memories down there it’s all tears and snotters at their neighbours success, when it wasn’t so long ago they were doing the same thing. They also like to pretend they’re not spending hideous amounts of cash only they’re getting worse and City keep on winning.

Its like a ponzi scheme, so long as its being fed from the bottom, the top can live a lavish lifestyle, but it will always collapse under its own weight

Hagar the Horrible

Keep McTomihno, and sell everybody else off...every one, as for Maguire  give the other clubs some money too or as a free if you buy 2 players, get a Maguire thrown in!  God help who gets him?  I will put my money on Spurs:-)

John Findlay
13 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

As callous as it sounds, I don't think Alex Ferguson still attending all Man Utd games helps the manager in situ.

kingantti1874
25 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Keep McTomihno, and sell everybody else off...every one, as for Maguire  give the other clubs some money too or as a free if you buy 2 players, get a Maguire thrown in!  God help who gets him?  I will put my money on Spurs:-)

Sometimes I think we really lose perspective.  Harry Maguire for the right team would be exceptional, a team who spend most of the time defending  their box and playing on the counter.  Like his did with Leicester.  . He just isn’t a defender comfortable playing high up and isn’t particularly great on the ball. Was never a good fit for Man U 

up here he’d be an absolute colossus. 🤣 and would walk into the Scotland squad and be the best defender we’ve had in 20 years 

Hagar the Horrible
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Sometimes I think we really lose perspective.  Harry Maguire for the right team would be exceptional, a team who spend most of the time defending  their box and playing on the counter.  Like his did with Leicester.  . He just isn’t a defender comfortable playing high up and isn’t particularly great on the ball. Was never a good fit for Man U 

up here he’d be an absolute colossus. 🤣 and would walk into the Scotland squad and be the best defender we’ve had in 20 years 

Square peg in a square hole, if he found the right club, he is not a fit for Man Utd

Shooter McGavin

Their squad is full of unlikeable w*nks, they're supported by unlikeable w*nks, and the owners/directors are unlikeable w*nks.

I wish them nothing but the worst.

kingantti1874
49 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Square peg in a square hole, if he found the right club, he is not a fit for Man Utd

100%

Craig_

Doubt there's much truth in the story, but in reality I wouldn't keep hold of many of them. Got a good few decent young players, but the vast majority of the more experienced players should hang their heads in shame, quite frankly.

I'd keep Martinez, Onana, Wan Bissaka, get Sancho back if possible and Rashford if they feel they can get a tune out of him. The rest can do one. Even Ericksson, who in his day was an outstanding player.

hmfc_liam06

At some point the blame has to be put at the feet of the players.

A large part of the squad has seen Mourinho, van Gaal, Solskjaer, Rangnick and like ten Hag out the door. 

They do need a huge squad clear out and a decent strategy for them would be to sign some solid pros from teams such as Brighton etc.

In a Football Manager world I’d be getting rid of:

Wan Bissaka

Varane

Maguire

Lindelof

Shaw

Casemiero

Mount

Eriksen

Rashford

Antony

Martial

That in itself show the scale of their problems.

Mikey1874
2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

You wouldn't be selling Mainoo, Garnacho or Hojlund. Decent basis of a good side. 

Stupid talk by stupid people. 

A_A wehatethehibs
13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

At some point the blame has to be put at the feet of the players.

A large part of the squad has seen Mourinho, van Gaal, Solskjaer, Rangnick and like ten Hag out the door. 

They do need a huge squad clear out and a decent strategy for them would be to sign some solid pros from teams such as Brighton etc.

In a Football Manager world I’d be getting rid of:

Wan Bissaka

Varane

Maguire

Lindelof

Shaw

Casemiero

Mount

Eriksen

Rashford

Antony

Martial

That in itself show the scale of their problems.

It’s hard to comprehend the amounts of money spent on absolute dross, the billionaire version of Levein DoF at Hearts. A lot of these guys have still got long contracts so going nowhere as well 

jamboinglasgow
12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

You wouldn't be selling Mainoo, Garnacho or Hojlund. Decent basis of a good side. 

Stupid talk by stupid people. 

The story is that those are the only three players who are not up for sale.

If carlsberg did rivals...
15 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

The mistake they made was not bringing Moyes in for a season as Fergie's assistant before then taking over. That said it wouldn't surprise me if Moyes was released by West Ham he ends up back at Man U.

The Wrinkly Ninja

Hope they never win another football match and the ***** that ‘support’ them suffer week after week until they switch allegiance to some other ***** club down there.

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

The mistake they made was not bringing Moyes in for a season as Fergie's assistant before then taking over. That said it wouldn't surprise me if Moyes was released by West Ham he ends up back at Man U.

I still think the biggest mistake was that they replaced the manager and the chief executive (who was adept at signing the players the manager wanted) at the same time. So it meant you had Moyes trying to settle in and Ed Woodward trying to adapt to the role as chief executive. It meant their signing policy was all over the place. Which compounded and even bigger issue in that Fergie had left Moyes a team that needed rebuilding. There has been talk that Fergie planned to leave at the end of the previous season but as Man City won, he wanted to leave on title. So got that the following season but meant he was not focused on rebuilding the squad.

Clerry Jambo
2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Their squad is full of unlikeable w*nks, they're supported by unlikeable w*nks, and the owners/directors are unlikeable w*nks.

👍

Craig_
31 minutes ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

At the end of the day, they still need to fill their stadium. If they did that, there'd be mutiny!

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It’s hard to comprehend the amounts of money spent on absolute dross, the billionaire version of Levein DoF at Hearts. A lot of these guys have still got long contracts so going nowhere as well 

Yeah I think only a few of them are out of contract, going to be a tough job getting rid of the others.

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Hard to disagree with that.

JamboAl1965

gives me flashback to the PINK NEWS the weekend that the front page said the whole squad was top for sale. Cant recall if it was John haggarts time or willie ormonds. 

Bazzas right boot
16 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Tominho McTominay.

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Well put 👍🏽👏🏾

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

More chance of John McGlynn getting it on tbe back of his manager of the year award.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

🤞🤣

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

He's a good defender,  the price tag was just too much.

He was never a £80m player.

If he'd gone for around £30m he wouldn't get slagged as much.