Boat people trying to avoid transportation to Rawanda by heading to Ireland.

Section Q

Section Q
Posted (edited)

I've been reading about Ireland's immigration policies over the last ten years or so and their attitude and treatment towards genuine displaced immigrants arriving there and them feeling unsafe. Afghanistan refugees caught my attention a few years back when many requested to leave because of threats and other related racial abuse.

Now because of Tory policy on asylum seekers being sent to Africa, the same category of immigrants are heading to Belfast and crossing the border into Ireland and exacerbating the situation. Will be interesting how this pans out. It got me thinking that Scotland could be having this problem if like Ireland, we achieved independence and remained in the EU. I'm not anti independence at all, but with Ireland now considering their own hard border, it conjures up all sorts of scenarios .

Anyone care to comment........

Edited by Section Q

Ulysses
Just now, Section Q said:

with Ireland now considering their own hard border, it cconjures up all sorts of scenarios .

Well, I gotta admit that's news to me, and probably a few million others who live here.  Pardon the pun, but where did you conjure that up from?  

Section Q
Just now, Ulysses said:

Well, I gotta admit that's news to me, and probably a few million others who live here.  Pardon the pun, but where did you conjure that up from?  

So there's no anti immigration protests currently in Ireland.....?

Ulysses
6 minutes ago, Section Q said:

So there's no anti immigration protests currently in Ireland.....?

What's that got to do with this?

11 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Ireland now considering their own hard border...

Section Q
Just now, Ulysses said:

What's that got to do with this?

I don't understand your question. Did you read my full post ?

Ulysses

I don't understand your question. Did you read my full post ?

Yes.  I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "Ireland now considering their own hard border".  None. 

Also, have you got a source for this below?  I'm struggling to remember anything of this nature, and I can't track anything down about it.

16 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Afghanistan refugees caught my attention a few years back when many requested to leave because of threats and other related racial abuse.

Section Q
13 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Brexit deal betrayed as Ireland deploys 100 police on UK border to stop migrants

The UK has said it has "no legal obligation" to accept the return of asylum seekers from Ireland in a huge migrant row.

Tazio

Brexit deal betrayed as Ireland deploys 100 police on UK border to stop migrants

The UK has said it has "no legal obligation" to accept the return of asylum seekers from Ireland in a huge migrant row.

None of that says Ireland is considering a hard border though. 

Ulysses

^^^^

Yes.  And?  You still haven't explained what you meant when you said Ireland is considering a hard border.  What does that even mean?

Ulysses
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

None of that says Ireland is considering a hard border though. 

Ah wait, there might be something - though I've no idea where it's from.  There's a "headline" in Section Q's post about police being deployed to the Border.  Whatever the source is, that's not true.

Section Q
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Ah wait, there might be something - though I've no idea where it's from.  There's a "headline" in Section Q's post about police being deployed to the Border.  Whatever the source is, that's not true.

You sound very defensive and accusing me of "conjurring" up. As I said, this will be interesting how things pan out.... if police are being deployed, presumably to prevent free entry then surely it's a hard border.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1894069/ireland-hard-border-brexit-rishi-sunak

Edited by Section Q

Ulysses

You sound very defensive and accusing me of "conjurring" up. As I said, this will be interesting how things pan out....

I live here.  Do you? 

You asked if anyone cared to comment, so I did.  I would have preferred to take what you said and worked with it, but there were two very big problems with what you said, so I couldn't.

You posted something that made no sense to me, and wouldn't mean anything to anyone living here.  In one of your posts, you posted a headline about police being sent to the Border, so I'm now guessing that's where you got the idea from - but if you got it somewhere else please feel free to say where.  But in any case there are no police being sent to the Border, so the headline makes no sense.  Even if you wanted to police the frontier (and it is Irish government policy not to want that), sending 100 cops to police more than 200 crossings along 499 kilometres of border would be a limited and ineffective way to go about it.

Also, you posted something about your memory of something involving Afghans living here and seeking to leave because of racial abuse.  If they were abused that wouldn't surprise me, because there are racist filth living here just like there are everywhere else.  However, if anyone asked to leave I don't recall hearing anything about it.  Leave and go where, anyway?  Kabul?  I did ask for a source for that story; perhaps that slipped your mind.

Ireland already has hard borders, just like other countries do. Just not with the UK.

There are probably some good questions to be debated about how migration affects Scotland, both in the present UK context and in terms of how things might work if Scotland were independent.  But starting from a position of inaccurate information about migration elsewhere won't help the quality of that discussion.

Ulysses
23 minutes ago, Section Q said:

You sound very defensive and accusing me of "conjurring" up. As I said, this will be interesting how things pan out.... if police are being deployed, presumably to prevent free entry then surely it's a hard border.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1894069/ireland-hard-border-brexit-rishi-sunak

Ah, thanks for the edit.  They aren't.  It's the Express.  Problem solved.

Section Q
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Ah, thanks for the edit.  They aren't.  It's the Express.  Problem solved.

We'll see......👍

Ulysses
2 minutes ago, Section Q said:

We'll see......👍

Good man.  What was the point you wanted to debate?  The point about Scotland?

Section Q
19 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Good man.  What was the point you wanted to debate?  The point about Scotland?

I was hoping for discussion rather than debate tbf. The point about Scotland was an after thought. I don't live in the UK, and take world news from most media points, and accept they aren't always credible. You my friend though, appear to have a thin skin, and assume from your user name that you are indeed Irish. Good luck with both.....👍

Ulysses
6 minutes ago, Section Q said:

You my friend though, appear to have a thin skin...

That's the second time you've suggested I'm defensive - but in fact I was puzzled, because I live here and what you posted simply didn't relate to the news I've been following on this subject for several days.  I'd actually just read the RTÉ piece that I posted about an hour beforehand.  It made a lot more sense when I worked out that the police thing was based on something that came from the Express, whose USP is misrepresenting anything to do with the UK's relationship with Europe.  Mind you, the Afghan thing is still a mystery to me.  

Ireland has a peculiar migration policy, mainly because of the Common Travel Area.  The CTA is important to us, as is the open border - it wasn't for nothing that we got the EU to make it a central negotiation principle in the exit deal with the British. That has consequences for us, because our immigration and visa policies are much closer to the UK's than to the EU's.  Usually those consequences are a minor inconvenience, but because the Conservatives are so obsessed with making their Rwanda policy an apparent success it's currently more than minor.  But these things go through cycles and it'll pass.  On the question of hard borders Ireland is party to the EU's new Migration pact, which is supposed to tighten everybody's borders.  But I'll believe that when I see it.  Everyone wants to have the "right" kind of immigration while stopping the "wrong" kind.  Meanwhile, desperate people will keep trying to get away from desperate lives and places.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
4 hours ago, Section Q said:

We'll see......👍

I'm not sure how long you've been away from the UK,  but the express is like the Sunday Sport but with fewer breasts on show.

TallPaul

Fantastic, if Ireland want to return them to the UK they better ask their EU masters to change the policy. Once they do we can shuttle them back over to French beaches the minute they set foot here. 

Section Q
3 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I'm not sure how long you've been away from the UK,  but the express is like the Sunday Sport but with fewer breasts on show.

To be fair Joey, my post was more to do with the displaced people and Ireland's unfortunate attitude to asylum-seekers. Mentioning the hard border seemed to rub someone up the wrong way.....👍

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

To be fair Joey, my post was more to do with the displaced people and Ireland's unfortunate attitude to asylum-seekers. Mentioning the hard border seemed to rub someone up the wrong way.....👍

There is no hard border. If you had just admitted you got that wrong then you might have got a proper discussion

SE16 3LN
Posted (edited)

I think the OP may be referring to:

The Taoiseach (Irish prime minister) Simon Harris has asked Ireland's justice minister to bring legislation to cabinet to enable asylum seekers to be sent back to the UK.

Helen McEntee has revealed that 80% of recent arrivals to the Republic came from the UK across the Irish border.

Tánaiste (deputy prime minister) Micheál Martin said the UK's Rwanda policy was already impacting Ireland.

Legislation to revive the UK's Rwanda policy became law on Thursday.

It aims to deter people from crossing the English Channel by sending some asylum seekers to the central African country.

No migrants have yet been sent from the UK.

The UK government had hoped for flights to take off by the spring but Prime Minister Rishi Sunak says this should now happen within 10 to 12 weeks.

A spokesman for Mr Harris said the taoiseach had asked Ms McEntee "to bring proposals to cabinet next week to amend existing law regarding the designation of safe 'third countries' and allowing the return of inadmissible international protection applicants to the UK", Irish broadcaster RTÉ reported on Saturday.

This was a BBC article a few days ago. No mention of a hard border but a big policy change that would have ramifications across the EU

Edited by SE16 3LN

Ministryofdad

Even if Scotland went independent and rejoined the EU. 

Without sailing on a boat and invading beaches via the north sea how would Scotland be invaded by illegal migrants. 

Same question for the possibility of Ireland. 

It's not like the coastline of Ireland is raidable. Same would be for Scotland. 

Unless your a skilled sailor both places would be fine. 

Issue is with dinghys coming over the English channel.

Unkess collectively all EU countries stop the massive influx of illegal immigrants coming to seek asylum the UK and Ireland will always be the promise land for these people. 

IronJambo
11 hours ago, Section Q said:

I've been reading about Ireland's immigration policies over the last ten years or so and their attitude and treatment towards genuine displaced immigrants arriving there and them feeling unsafe. Afghanistan refugees caught my attention a few years back when many requested to leave because of threats and other related racial abuse.

Now because of Tory policy on asylum seekers being sent to Africa, the same category of immigrants are heading to Belfast and crossing the border into Ireland and exacerbating the situation. Will be interesting how this pans out. It got me thinking that Scotland could be having this problem if like Ireland, we achieved independence and remained in the EU. I'm not anti independence at all, but with Ireland now considering their own hard border, it conjures up all sorts of scenarios .

Anyone care to comment........

I would think if Scotland was currently independent and part of the EU then they would be more vulnerable than Ireland currently are to this. 

I personally think the Rwanda policy is horrendous whilst at the same time very clever. The French have took the piss for a very long time and this policy looks like it just might manage to force change. 

I have to think though, that your worries are misplaced. It seems that Scotland are slipping further from independence every day. 30 years of momentum is most of the way down the drain. Adding to that it would be impossible for Scotland to "remain" in the EU when they aren't even in it so you can take that out of the equation.

Mikey1874

Again I ask.

How are the migrants getting to N.Ireland?

New Town Loafer

The Irish media complaining about this is amusing.

Less amusing is the globalist Irish government's favouring of foreigners over their own people, however.

Ulysses
40 minutes ago, XB52 said:

There is no hard border. If you had just admitted you got that wrong then you might have got a proper discussion

The issue is the opposite. We have a core policy of avoiding a hard border, and that has consequences for other policies. 

9 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

He said Ireland were considering it.

But Ireland isn't. The Express said something that isn't true.

32 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

This was a BBC article a few days ago. No mention of a hard border but a big policy change that would have ramifications across the EU

In what way?  Britain and Ireland have been in a Common Travel Area for 102 years, and have collaborated on migration policy throughout that time, even during the height of the Troubles.  In 2020, because of Brexit, there was a Memorandum of Understanding between the two governments, and the EU is well aware of it.  

Is this not just a convenient way for the Conservatives to shore up support ahead of elections (and for the Irish government parties to do the same)?

Ulysses
21 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Again I ask.

There was an interview with some guy in the Mail today, who said he flew from Lagos to London on a tourist visa, and then flew to Belfast from Birmingham. But that's only one fella. 

2 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I know. I'm just trying to be as pedantic and annoying as XB52. :fonzie:

Why should he be the benchmark?  Am I not ****ing good enough for ya? :th_Rage2:

Shooter McGavin
20 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

The Irish media complaining about this is amusing.

Less amusing is the globalist Irish government's favouring of foreigners over their own people, however.

I’m well aware of how false narratives can be created, especially on social media, but some parts of Ireland genuinely look gone. Far too much immigration, far too quickly. A lot of the natives seem really concerned about the identity of their area being lost.

Similar here of-course with respects to illegal immigration.

Taffin

I don't really see the issue if I'm honest. Sounds like a better outcome than them coming here and being sent to Rwanda.

New Town Loafer
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I’m well aware of how false narratives can be created, especially on social media, but some parts of Ireland genuinely look gone. Far too much immigration, far too quickly. A lot of the natives seem really concerned about the identity of their area being lost.

Similar here of-course with respects to illegal immigration.

Yes, far too many and far too quickly. County Dublin in the 2022 census was said to be 68% white Irish. This won't improve at all for the Irish, but then replacement migration seems to be the in vogue thing in Western and Northern Europe.

Edited by New Town Loafer

Ulysses
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

:seethe:

Don't worry, this'll all be forgotten about when, under Farage's leadership, the British Empire rekindles itself from the dying embers that even all the self-hatred,  SNP piss and snotters have failed to extinguish fully.

First stop, Ireland. Then Hong Kong. Then India. And finally, we get the New World colonies back.

Hong Kong?  That's you ****ed. :laugh:

joondalupjambo
43 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Again I ask.

Are they just not travelling across on ferries to NI then getting buses or trains south to Dublin?

I am assuming, probably wrongly that there are limited border checks on foot passengers.

Also no idea but when they arrive in the UK by boat, and are processed are they given some sort of ID card.

Then they are using that ID Card if challenged on arrival at the NI ferry port?

No idea to be honest just chucking somethings into the mix.

Shooter McGavin
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Yes, far too many and far too quickly. County Dublin in the 2022 census was said to be 68% white Irish. This won't improve at all for the Irish, but then replacement migration seems to be the in vogue thing in Western and Northern Europe.

Before I go any further, I'm quite a vocal "lefty" on this forum, and I know how vital immigration is, pretty sure the NHS wouldn't function without immigration. Feels like the government have completely lost control though, and their legal immigration routes don't seem to be working effectively.

Illegal immigration is a big concern though, and folk washing onto the shores dead or alive via dinghies from France is a totally ridiculous, and probably avoidable situation. I don't buy this argument that these people are asylum seekers at that point, unless France is currently in the midst of a brutal civil war, or fight with neighbouring countries, which to the best of my knowledge, they aren't.

It’s like a football team going out and signing 11 new players, who come from a completely different culture and don’t speak the same language, and expecting it to all just work out.

Edited by Shooter McGavin

Australis

Always thought Ireland was the most welcoming country in the world.

How things change.

Mikey1874
29 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Are they just not travelling across on ferries to NI then getting buses or trains south to Dublin?

I am assuming, probably wrongly that there are limited border checks on foot passengers.

Also no idea but when they arrive in the UK by boat, and are processed are they given some sort of ID card.

Then they are using that ID Card if challenged on arrival at the NI ferry port?

No idea to be honest just chucking somethings into the mix.

That makes sense. That generous document checking is allowing it. Another faux pas by the UK immigration service. 

Ulysses
21 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Before I go any further, I'm quite a vocal "lefty" on this forum, and I know how vital immigration is, pretty sure the NHS wouldn't function without immigration. Feels like the government have completely lost control though, and their legal immigration routes don't seem to be working effectively.

Illegal immigration is a big concern though, and folk washing onto the shores dead or alive via dinghies from France is a totally ridiculous, and probably avoidable situation. I don't buy this argument that these people are asylum seekers at that point, unless France is currently in the midst of a brutal civil war, or fight with neighbouring countries, which to the best of my knowledge, they aren't.

It’s like a football team going out and signing 11 new players, who come from a completely different culture and don’t speak the same language, and expecting it to all just work out.

Just to add to that.  Ireland depends on foreign labour for certain sectors, partly because we (like the UK) have more or less full employment, and partly because of poor choices made in some of our education and training policies during the post-2008 crash.  That applies to our health system, and also to parts of our commercial sector.

Also, Ireland has in or around 1 million foreign-born people living here.  Of those, about 900,000 are here because they are fully and legally entitled to be under the terms of either our membership of the EU, our Common Travel Area agreement with the UK, or on skills-based visas.  Of the other 100,000 or so, about 75,000 are Ukrainian beneficiaries of temporary asylum protection, given the right to stay here while the conflict in their homeland continues.  That leaves about 25,000 (ish) people who are international protection applicants, or asylum seekers, or whatever the term is.  That's about half of a percent of the country's population. 

As it happens, our biggest group of foreign-born migrants were born in the UK, the second biggest in Poland, and third biggest in Ukraine.

It's no harm to be aware of the numbers.

Mikey1874

Sometimes the publicity you get ('Ireland is racist' or 'Ireland has a massive homeless problem') can be due to a combination of factors like how the media operates, how the British media reports Ireland and some cultural factors. 

Really I don't think there is a significant difference between any country. The same pressures exist everywhere unless your health service, public housing availability and jobs market are super healthy, world class. 

New Town Loafer
50 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

👍

Mikey1874
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

The thing you miss out is the proportion of boat people who come to Britain because they have relatives or close friends already here. Need to rework the football analogy. More like picking a team that already have their supporters here. 

Also note that before the new law that made boat people illegal, around two thirds were being granted asylum so the UK Government said then that they were genuine.

Edited by Mikey1874

Ulysses
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Sometimes the publicity you get ('Ireland is racist' or 'Ireland has a massive homeless problem') can be due to a combination of factors like how the media operates, how the British media reports Ireland and some cultural factors. 

Really I don't think there is a significant difference between any country. The same pressures exist everywhere unless your health service, public housing availability and jobs market are super healthy, world class. 

True.   Having said that, in Ireland we have at least our fair share of racists, and we do have a big housing problem.  In fact, I'd argue that housing is the real problem here.  I know the cost of housing isn't a uniquely Irish issue, but we have a pretty bad version of the problem, and it's contributing to the "migration crisis".

We've had a succession of governments since the post-2008 crash whose policies have been geared to helping property investors rather than buyers and renters, so supply is limited and prices are high.  We brought in and accommodated over 75,000 Ukrainians after the war started - which is the equivalent of the UK taking in more than a million.  That added to the housing pressure, but the government felt it had to be done and it has had widespread political support, especially because our aid contribution to Ukraine doesn't include a military element.  Post-Covid, we got a hike in the number of asylum seekers landing here, and we've found it harder and harder to accommodate them, and our application processing system is slow.

This latest piece about the UK and Rwanda is headline news, but if you look at the numbers it only accounts for a small corner of the problem.  And at the risk of being cynical, I'd say that the current headlines are earning political brownie points for the government parties on both sides of the Irish Sea.

Shooter McGavin
40 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The thing you miss out is the proportion of boat people who come to Britain because they have relatives or close friends already here. Need to rework the football analogy. More like picking a team that already have their supporters here. 

Also note that before the new law that made boat people illegal, around two thirds were being granted asylum so the UK Government said then that they were genuine.

That's all fair enough, but what I would say that illegally entering a country is still illegal, whether you have relatives or close friends already here or not. If their relatives are already here illegally then it highlights how out of control the problem is, if they're here legally then thats the route the relatives will need to go through too.

Again, I suspect the problem is being exarcerbated by the government fannying about with the asylum process and the rwanda nonsense.

SE16 3LN
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

In what way?  Britain and Ireland have been in a Common Travel Area for 102 years, and have collaborated on migration policy throughout that time, even during the height of the Troubles.  In 2020, because of Brexit, there was a Memorandum of Understanding between the two governments, and the EU is well aware of it.  

Is this not just a convenient way for the Conservatives to shore up support ahead of elections (and for the Irish government parties to do the same)?

😂 The Taoiseach is being quoted by the BBC mate, not sure why your talking about the Conservatives. Rwanda is everything to do with Sunak trying to get support ahead of the elections but I'd be surprised if the Irish Govt. was helping them do that. 

Ulysses
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

😂 The Taoiseach is being quoted by the BBC mate, not sure why your talking about the Conservatives. Rwanda is everything to do with Sunak trying to get support ahead of the elections but I'd be surprised if the Irish Govt. was helping them do that. 

The Irish government isn't looking to boost Sunak.  It's looking to boost itself.  There are elections here in five weeks, and a row with the UK is politically useful for the government parties.

Edited by Ulysses

Ulysses
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

... a row with the UK is politically useful for the government parties.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Irish politics, here's a story that might give you a sense of what I'm talking about in the above quote. 

In December 2019, with 6-7 weeks to go to a general election, opinion polls showed Fine Gael averaging 27-28% and Sinn Féin averaging 17-18%.

As part of Ireland's independence centenary celebrations, Fine Gael announced a ceremony to commemorate the Royal Irish Constabulary.  Not the British Army, not the "Black and Tans", but the police force that existed before independence. 

Their support tanked within days, even though they cancelled the event. The general election was held in early February 2020.  Fine Gael scored 21%, and lost a quarter of their parliamentary seats (not easy in a PR system).  Sinn Féin polled over 24%, and made gains all over the country.

I'm not saying that a dispute with the British government will win the Irish government parties any seats, but they probably reckon it won't do them any harm.  In that regard it's not unlike the Conservatives taking swipes at the French to shore up their support.

Edited by Ulysses

Mikey1874
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

That's all fair enough, but what I would say that illegally entering a country is still illegal, whether you have relatives or close friends already here or not. If their relatives are already here illegally then it highlights how out of control the problem is, if they're here legally then thats the route the relatives will need to go through too. 

Again, I suspect the problem is being exarcerbated by the government fannying about with the asylum process and the rwanda nonsense.

Still to be tested in the courts. International refugee law which is still part of UK law says it isn't illegal. UK law saying its illegal could be struck down. Odds on it will be.

Mikey1874

Sunak misunderstanding the common travel area is less of an issue since he won't be around long. 

Probably helps Labour's discussions with the EU as they can have a good laugh about it.

Seems to want that hard border though.

Taffin
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Sunak misunderstanding the common travel area is less of an issue since he won't be around long. 

Probably helps Labour's discussions with the EU as they can have a good laugh about it.

Surely no hard border suits him in this instance. Ferrying boat people to NI in the hope they onward travel to ROI would be much cheaper than flying them to Rwanda. It seems he's been presented with a great solution here

Edited by Taffin

PortyJambo
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Won't accept asylum seekers being sent back from Ireland, but wants France to take them back from the UK

:interehjrling: