Lawrence Shankland wins PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year 2024 (updated)

Tenor

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Sooks

• RustyRightPeg

• jbee647

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Madjambo21

Well done to Shanks.

Been incredible for us this season.

That being said he needs to get his arse into gear for the last few games 😆 

Carter
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Rangers Hall of Famer too - I might add.

He's a joke figure. That hangdog expression when he's getting berated by the neanderthals!

We're one of the few sides who consistently make him look like a decent player. His defending, particularly at the back post, is pathetic. As seen once again yesterday. Give him acres of space, as we do repeatedly, and he'll deliver decent quality but he's nowhere remotely close to what he's made out to be. 

RustyRightPeg
Just now, Carter said:

He's a joke figure. That hangdog expression when he's getting berated by the neanderthals!

We're one of the few sides who consistently make him look like a decent player. His defending, particularly at the back post, is pathetic. As seen once again yesterday. Give him acres of space, as we do repeatedly, and he'll deliver decent quality but he's nowhere remotely close to what he's made out to be. 

100%. I've always said to my blue nose mate that any issues Rangers have defensively tend to come down that side over the top of him and Goldson. Granted Barisic hasn't covered himself in glory over the years but the two of them, more so Tav are definitely a weakness in their side and we seem to be one of the teams who don't take advantage of that.

Carter
20 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

100%. I've always said to my blue nose mate that any issues Rangers have defensively tend to come down that side over the top of him and Goldson. Granted Barisic hasn't covered himself in glory over the years but the two of them, more so Tav are definitely a weakness in their side and we seem to be one of the teams who don't take advantage of that.

His performance against Hibs in the 2016 SCF was absolutely disgusting. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Clement looks to move Tavernier and Goldson this summer. 

The Goalscoring Knee
1 hour ago, busbyfth said:

Well done LS.....Would I be right in saying that its ironic when he's going through such a barren phase ? eg In his last 8 matches LS has only scored once - and that was a penalty !! 

Lets hope he gets back on track soon...especially if he is wanting to get a game at the Euros (and for his value to maintain its lustre) 

Echoed - some achievement when you see how the voting has panned out over the last 30 years or so.

And unfortunately it has coincided with his leanest spell of the season (went seven games without scoring in late August/whole of September) - needs to get back in the groove and hopefully this weekend provides him with some opportunities.

jbee647
7 minutes ago, Carter said:

His performance against Hibs in the 2016 SCF was absolutely disgusting. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Clement looks to move Tavernier and Goldson this summer. 

Just saying this very point 

Had Rangers fielded an even slightly competent RB that day Hibs would still  be waiting on a cup win.

Bluenoses at that point referring to him as one of the worst players ever

John Findlay
Posted (edited)

That's our first SPFA POTY.

Hearts players have won the SPFA YPOTY five times, Craig Levein winning it two years running, and Robbie won it the season before that. The other winners were Scott Crabbe and Gary Naysmith.

Edited by John Findlay

Pans Jambo
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Tenor said:

Where's the BBC article about this?

The only awards article mentions recipients of Manager of the Year, as well as the League 2, League 1 and Championship Players of the Year.

WTF?! I can only assume they're still working on a huge Shankland feature, and they're not just bitter that their beloved OF players lost out?

:levein_interesting:

Was in the car at lunch time. No mention of it on the sport news section on BBC Scotland. They must be upset it wasnt one of their darlings. 
Shame that. 
Congrats to out captain. Well deserved. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

JimmyCant
2 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Well done to Shanks.

Been incredible for us this season.

That being said he needs to get his arse into gear for the last few games 😆 

I’d rest him to be honest. We’re at the job done stage and he looks knackered and needing a break. Bench him, give him 20-30 minutes a game and start Tagawa and see if he’s actually got anything we can use. I’d like him to be 100% for Scotland and for us next season and he’s not going to get that much time off after the Euros.

Mikey1874
43 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’d rest him to be honest. We’re at the job done stage and he looks knackered and needing a break. Bench him, give him 20-30 minutes a game and start Tagawa and see if he’s actually got anything we can use. I’d like him to be 100% for Scotland and for us next season and he’s not going to get that much time off after the Euros.

30 goals is pretty unique. Has to get the full 270 minutes to do it. Though a first half hatrick on Saturday and I'm with you. 

JimmyCant
24 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

30 goals is pretty unique. Has to get the full 270 minutes to do it. Though a first half hatrick on Saturday and I'm with you. 

Needs of the club first. Player second. Question has to be asked - Who cares if he has a number 30 in his goals scored column (he does obviously) versus getting a 3 game free hit look at a striker who’s on the verge of a decision about his future. For me, the jury is out in Tagawa who hasn’t had game time because Shankland is our key player. Be a shame to get rid based on not very much time at all, when you have a chance to start him in 3 fairly varied but ultimately meaningless games 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Lawrence Shankland wins PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year 2024 (updated)
A_A wehatethehibs

Well deserved, congratulations to Lawrence what a moment for him with his young family, and for Hearts. A special historic player we are witnessing, the type of rare player who has an era named after him. 

A great story for every young footballer out there who have setbacks. Clubs often get criticism for letting go of young players but end of the day, like many we’ve seen at Hearts, Lawrence simply was not good enough for Aberdeen. He had to get out there, get playing and get banging balls in top corners for Ayr. That fight he went through, where he fought for his career, that’s what made him the player and leader he is. 

For me, he stays here and will leave on a free next summer. It’s the Shankland era of Hearts history. 3 year deal signed, for me it’s got to be 3 full seasons played. I don’t see him signing an extension and I don’t see any club out there putting up the club record type fee it would take for Hearts to to be bothered about selling. So let’s enjoy this superb player while he’s with our club and deploy our war chest to build a 3rd and final team round him 

Well done Shanks, thoroughly deserved. A great achievement for a non-OF player. 

Posted (edited)

Maybe being a bit dramatic here but he’s shared loads of things on his Instagram story but not the Hearts post.

Also think Hearts should and could be shouting a lot louder about this achievement

Edited by Syd

1 hour ago, Ked said:

Needs to stay .

Reading the recent Hearts Standard article https://www.heartsstandard.co.uk/news/24301878.shankland-owes-himself-reach-higher-hearts/

Sounds like whilst he's trying to be super respectful, he does want to try himself at a higher level. 

Can't blame him for that, but I do hope we make it difficult (not in the sense of being awkward, more in the sense of offering him a bloody good deal to stay). 

I fear going into next season without a clear #9. Boyce is made of glass and now too goal shy. Theo Bair might end up needing to be the move we make, although Motherwell will look for a pound of flesh for that deal.... 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

Reading the recent Hearts Standard article https://www.heartsstandard.co.uk/news/24301878.shankland-owes-himself-reach-higher-hearts/

Sounds like whilst he's trying to be super respectful, he does want to try himself at a higher level. 

Can't blame him for that, but I do hope we make it difficult (not in the sense of being awkward, more in the sense of offering him a bloody good deal to stay). 

I fear going into next season without a clear #9. Boyce is made of glass and now too goal shy. Theo Bair might end up needing to be the move we make, although Motherwell will look for a pound of flesh for that deal.... 

While I hope we offer Lawrence the best deal we possibly can, if he wants to leave this summer I hope we grant his wish.

It’s no exaggeration to say we’ll be devastated seeing him go. But he’s done a lot for the club and deserves a crack at a higher level if he wants it. 

Long term it shows players that if you come to Hearts and do well, we’ll let you go for a fair fee when the time is right. 

Watt-Zeefuik
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, OTT said:

Nothing wrong with him dreaming of playing at the highest level. But I don't see this at all as angling for an OF move, no matter what they think about themselves. I think he'd love a shot in a top league club and go up against the best defenders in the world and see how he does.

At this point I think that only really happens if he has a bonanza and gets a goal or three in Europe. And if those clubs do come calling, we'll be well compensated at least.

Edited by Watt-Zeefuik

Nelly Terraces

Top man Shanks, well done son.

Cheers for the goals - Gorgie Rules - FTH.

Armageddon

Amazing and well deserved Lawrence Shankland 👏🏼

Whatever his next move is I will not complain one bit, we gave him the platform and boy did he perform for us, he’s given me moments with my dad and son that will live forever.

As long as he’s not badge kissing and chest thumping then he’s always one of us regardless.

Ulysses
2 hours ago, Ked said:

Needs to stay .

Agreed, but it's not happening.

Well done to him on winning the POTY award.  

busbyfth
21 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Just saying this very point 

Had Rangers fielded an even slightly competent RB that day Hibs would still  be waiting on a cup win.

Bluenoses at that point referring to him as one of the worst players ever

Ive never forgiven exRangers for that day !!!!!

Bob Loblaw

Nominated for the Writers POTY as well. Miovski, O'Riley and Butland the others. 

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Nominated for the Writers POTY as well. Miovski, O'Riley and Butland the others. 

Wonder which one Keith Jackson will vote for......   :whistling: