There is no such thing as a bad Dog. Just bad owners.

hughesie27

Herbert.
3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Is a load of pish. 

Discuss.

Nah it's true.

Bad owners also cover the idiots that get dogs bred for guarding livestock etc.. and have them to look hard. A dog like that isnt suited to living indoors or being around people.

hughesie27
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Nah it's true.

Bad owners also cover the idiots that get dogs bred for guarding livestock etc.. and have them to look hard. A dog like that isnt suited to living indoors or being around people.

Some breeds of dog can never been fully tamed/trusted and should not be suitable as pets because of the potential damage they can cause.

Edited by hughesie27

3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Some breeds of dog can never been fully tamed/trusted and should not be suitable as pets because of the potential damage they can cause.

Which isn't the dogs fault. If not suitable as a pet, who is to blame for trying to keep it as one?

hughesie27
3 minutes ago, Boris said:

Which isn't the dogs fault. If not suitable as a pet, who is to blame for trying to keep it as one?

The Government for allowing it. Three owners for not doing their research/ wanting to own a dangerous animal and parade it in public.

I'm not blaming the dog for being aggressive in nature. Its just that, it's nature. There's nothing the owner can do to eradicate that to keep everyone safe and the dog from being destroyed.

hughesie27

Once upon a time we may have been able to ensure that all dogs were bred with calm parents and nurtured well throughout life. Now a large pool of animals have been bred for the exact opposite reasons and it has run away from our control unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Does that make them bad, though?

Surely they are just what they are meant to be?

hughesie27
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

A bit pedantic but sure. Not bad. Dangerous. Unfit for the general public.

14 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

A bit pedantic but sure. Not bad. Dangerous. Unfit for the general public.

I'm not sure it's pedantic, it's sort of key to the thread imo.

Absolutely there's dogs unfit to be kept as pets, but that's not the dogs fault, it's the owners. So for me, no, the saying isn't load of pish.

doctor jambo

Guns and certain dogs.

Both completely safe in the right hands.

sadly we as a society have certain things restricted for the safety of all, due to the worst among us.

John Findlay
30 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Absolutely there's dogs unfit to be kept as pets, but that's not the dogs fault, it's the owners. So for me, no, the saying isn't load of pish.

Agreed.

hughesie27
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I mean it wouldn't be too big a stretch for me too label a dog that did ever bite someone as being "bad".

redjambo
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Could take us a while, an existential debate on the nature of good and evil. :)

Lovecraft
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Could take us a while, an existential debate on the nature of good and evil. :)

Not even just the nature of good or evil in general, but specifically: Are certain dogs evil?

Jack Russells are evil.   Little dicks with wee man syndrome.

Seriously though, some breeds of dogs are just not meant to kept as pets.  It just happens these are the ones that all the neds/scumbags want to keep.  Tell people no and they want to do it more.  

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Apologies for the DR but it stemmed from me seeing this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/large-bulldog-type-dog-destroyed-32689586.amp

The woman attacked was the owner and the dog was in her garden. It decided to chase a cat so she tried to intervene. 

As others on the thread have said, there seems to be a growing culture of neds and scumbags owning dangerous big bulldog types as some weird status symbol. 

There's  an underground "fight club" scene for vicious dogs in this country, with illegal betting taking place too.  The SSPCA & police raided the organisers of one recently -  the description of what they found was harrowing.  One of the organisers actually produced a "match report" on each fight, to send to other scumbags  who were into organised dog-fighting.  Blow by blow.  Injury by injury.  Vivid description of wounds and blood etc 

Karma would be if the scumbag owners accidentally fell into the fight pit during a bout.

A bad owner will definitely negatively affect a dog. But some dogs and/or breeds are just doomed to be dangerous regardless of how good the owner is.

Very much in favour of government being strict in what breeds are allowed and what are illegal.

For some walks of life, a big dangerous dog is a power trip to put fear into others.

Shooter McGavin
6 minutes ago, kila said:

A bad owner will definitely negatively affect a dog. But some dogs and/or breeds are just doomed to be dangerous regardless of how good the owner is.

Very much in favour of government being strict in what breeds are allowed and what are illegal.

For some walks of life, a big dangerous dog is a power trip to put fear into others.

This.

There is just no need to own a pet that is capable of dragging grown men to the ground and mauling them to death. They're typically in the hands of the thickest dregs of society too.

Ron Burgundy

A guy who I see regularly down my way and acts a bit of a geezer has just got himself a Belgian Malinois . His wee girl was walking it back from school. Good luck with that.

No danger will he be able to keep that dog focussed enough to stop it wrecking his house and garden and generally becoming a nuisance. 

He's probably watched agility and guarding videos on YouTube and thought that'll do me.

Yet any discussion online always contains many quotes from people telling you their dog is ‘the biggest softie ever’. 

hughesie27
9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Yet any discussion online always contains many quotes from people telling you their dog is ‘the biggest softie ever’. 

"Wee babies"

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Guns and certain dogs.

Both completely safe in the right hands.

sadly we as a society have certain things restricted for the safety of all, due to the worst among us.

Made me think of this story of a potential Trump VP running mate who had a puppy she couldn't train so she shot it in the head. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/28/trump-vice-president-contender-kristi-noem-defends-killing-dog

The backlash she's faced in the US suggests that, even there, Dogs > Guns. She'd have been a lot better off had she claimed she'd shot a communist or a black person she 'hated'. 

47 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Made me think of this story of a potential Trump VP running mate who had a puppy she couldn't train so she shot it in the head. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/28/trump-vice-president-contender-kristi-noem-defends-killing-dog

The backlash she's faced in the US suggests that, even there, Dogs > Guns. She'd have been a lot better off had she claimed she'd shot a communist or a black person she 'hated'. 

She should have claimed she hit it by accident after defending it and her home from 30-50 feral hogs.

Shooter McGavin
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Wouldn't hurt a fly...

My dog makes up about 0.5% of the dog population, and accounts for about 90% of dog attacks. But we just didn't see this coming...

3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

I mean it wouldn't be too big a stretch for me too label a dog that did ever bite someone as being "bad".

It would be quite a stretch, as your applying your/human morals to a dog.

Are wasps who sting people bad? Are Hippos bad for attacking people?

It's just nature. It's not good, or bad. They're not doing it to be pricks 😂

I say all this as absolutely not a dog person. I don't think any should be pets, so you know what feck 'em. They're all bad 😂

Edited by Taffin

27 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It would be quite a stretch, as your applying your/human morals to a dog.

Are wasps who sting people bad? Are Hippos bad for attacking people?

It's just nature. It's not good, or bad. They're not doing it to be pricks 😂

I say all this as absolutely not a dog person. I don't think any should be pets, so you know what feck 'em. They're all bad 😂

Dogs do have morals or they'd just shit everywhere and do what they wanted. I guess we train them/bride them to that standard with treats, but they still change their behaviour and must have a gauge of what is 'bad'.

Howdy Doody Jambo
6 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Is a load of pish. 

Discuss.

Bad owners 100%

poor dog's take the blame they don't tie bags of shit to tree's what is that all about?

1 hour ago, kila said:

Dogs do have morals or they'd just shit everywhere and do what they wanted. I guess we train them/bride them to that standard with treats, but they still change their behaviour and must have a gauge of what is 'bad'.

Do wild dogs do that, or do they shit everywhere and do what they want? 

I'm not sure coercion is the same as intrinsic morals personally but appreciate it means different to different people.

I absolutely don't doubt dogs have intrinsic morals btw, I'm just not convinced they'd remotely map into our perception of what a 'good/bad' dog would be.

AyrJambo
1 hour ago, kila said:

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Do wild dogs do that, or do they shit everywhere and do what they want? 

I'm not sure coercion is the same as intrinsic morals personally but appreciate it means different to different people.

I absolutely don't doubt dogs have intrinsic morals btw, I'm just not convinced they'd remotely map into our perception of what a 'good/bad' dog would be.

The morality of dogs FFS

Morality is a distinctly human construct

fabienleclerq

Some dogs just shouldn't be allowed, I think the government are in a the difficult position of having to do something about it. It's almost always the same breeds that cause the deaths or serious injuries. 

Then you get the folk who own them "it's not the dogs it's the owners" aye but the reason the owner chose that dog is what it is capable of.

Lovecraft

There's a reason some dog breeds aren't safe for people with small children.

If you get one and it then eats your kid.  Don't go complaining to anyone.

There's also a reason some dogs are totally banned.

AyrJambo

The dog license should be re-introduced

Would naturally restrict dog ownership to those who understand the responsibility of owning a dog and deter those who just see dogs as a fashion statement or an ego enhancer

Some breeds of dog do have very strong prey drives.

These breeds require a properly trained handler.

The problem is that people get these dogs and have zero training in how to handle or train those dogs.

That's when you get problems.

It's not the dog's fault that those traits have been genetically embedded in it.

It's the owner's fault for not knowing how to train and handle dogs like that.

There is certainly a very good case for those breeds requiring a license and the potential owners having to pass a course in training and handling those dogs.

luckydug
59 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

The dog license should be re-introduced

Would naturally restrict dog ownership to those who understand the responsibility of owning a dog and deter those who just see dogs as a fashion statement or an ego enhancer

The sort of people you are referring to

would not bother about obtaining a dog licence.

How do you plan to enforce dog licensing  ?

AyrJambo
4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Dugs need to display a license registration plate attached to the back of their collars like cars

No plate dug is impounded owner fined and given opportunity to license and take the mutt back

Dug drones to fly aboot clocking culprits

Edited by AyrJambo
spelling

Ironically I’ve got a message from a workmate whose mother in law had to get rid of a Staffie as it was too disruptive with her other dogs. She’s got a new puppy booked to replace it. A bulldog/mastiff cross. Fecking genius. 

Vets/breeders making sure every dog is microchipped.
Owner details and license on the chip.
Job done.

Dawnrazor
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Vets/breeders making sure every dog is microchipped.
Owner details and license on the chip.
Job done.

It's illegal to sell a pup without a microchip in England, I'm not sure if it's the same in Scotland.

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's illegal to sell a pup without a microchip in England, I'm not sure if it's the same in Scotland.

We’re not really looking at responsible breeders for certain dog types though. 

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

FTFY

Only farmers and blind folk get dogs. Everyone else can have a goldfish. No goldfish have ever ripped someone’s face off. 

Blind farmers get two dogs. 

What hand will they hold their stick in? You've no thought this through. 

Dawnrazor
48 minutes ago, luckydug said:

True, but, the law would have more teeth, pardon the pun, meaning the sentences could be more severe, it's that "sort of people" who are more likely to have the type of dog doing the type of things that need sorting out, and I'm pretty sure most of us could spot the type of arse walking down the street that would need stopping and asking for the correct paperwork, I'd also make having 3rd party insurance mandatory for dog owners.

Dawnrazor
15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

We’re not really looking at responsible breeders for certain dog types though. 

I get that, I've a litter of Labradors pup that will be getting microchiped next week, not the type of dog that often kills or maims people, but they still need done.

John Findlay
25 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I get that, I've a litter of Labradors pup that will be getting microchiped next week, not the type of dog that often kills or maims people, but they still need done.

Do you breed them.

Are they Black, Gold, or Brown labradors?

Dawnrazor
Just now, John Findlay said:

Do you breed them.

I breed the odd litter when I want a pup myself, I put a yellow dog to my black bitch in the hope I got a yellow dog pup....... every one was black🤦

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Do you breed them.

You got one colour correct........but I suspect you knew that😉

John Findlay
14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

You got one colour correct........but I suspect you knew that😉

Yes, I like Black labs myself.