New MLS Rules

Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy

Just read on Facebook new rules being brought in to the MLS.

Injured players who are down for more than 15 seconds must leave the field of play for two minutes and also subs have 10 seconds to leave the field of play otherwise the player coming on has to wait 60 seconds.

I think that something has to be done to stop players feigning injury and it's a huge step forward.

TheBigO
15 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Injured players who are down for more than 15 seconds must leave the field of play for two minutes and also subs have 10 seconds to leave the field of play otherwise the player coming on has to wait 60 seconds.

I think that something has to be done to stop players feigning injury and it's a huge step forward.

Think I like it.  I guess the only question is how is this refereed?  Like how can it be exact?

Something I've always thought is that there should be no subs after the 90 min mark, or perhaps even 85th.  I guess there's maybe a duty of care thing for injuries, but then its maybe tough luck - someone pulls their hammy, you're down to 10 for 5 mins.

The "injured" player thing kills me. The amount players stay down while play is going on around them, then they're up and running.  Often its not any type of cheating, it's simply something thats come into the game - guys genuinely thinking they're hurt cos they got a wee kick on the ankle.  Get on with it. 

The Aberdeen goalie on Saturday in the penalty shootout!!!!!  OMG you've got a kid about to take a penalty and you're honestly lying in the middle of the goals with cramp!?!?!?  You £$%^ing idiot.  You limp to the side and deal with it.  One of the most ridiculous things you'll see in my book.  I'd have been raging if that was our GK.  I am raging and it wasn't!!!

21 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Fully onboard with the subs leaving the pitch one . Not sure about the first one , maybe 

Ron Burgundy

If they are hurt then the two minutes gives them time to recover, they can take longer if required but it would stop an awful lot of theatrics IMO.

And it's not stopping treatment, if anything it's giving them extra time after their treatment to recover.

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Think I like it.  I guess the only question is how is this refereed?  Like how can it be exact?

Something I've always thought is that there should be no subs after the 90 min mark, or perhaps even 85th.  I guess there's maybe a duty of care thing for injuries, but then its maybe tough luck - someone pulls their hammy, you're down to 10 for 5 mins.

The "injured" player thing kills me. The amount players stay down while play is going on around them, then they're up and running.  Often its not any type of cheating, it's simply something thats come into the game - guys genuinely thinking they're hurt cos they got a wee kick on the ankle.  Get on with it. 

The Aberdeen goalie on Saturday in the penalty shootout!!!!!  OMG you've got a kid about to take a penalty and you're honestly lying in the middle of the goals with cramp!?!?!?  You £$%^ing idiot.  You limp to the side and deal with it.  One of the most ridiculous things you'll see in my book.  I'd have been raging if that was our GK.  I am raging and it wasn't!!!

America is miles ahead with timing related rules, shot clock in basketball, play clock in NFL, they've even introduced a pitch clock in the MLB, all with positive results. 

Granted, these sports are a lot more structured and stop start with timeouts at each clubs disposal but still.  

Ray Gin

Not sure about the injured players one tbh. As much as feigning injury grinds my gears, it seems like this is going to encourage players to try and get up and play on even when genuinely injured, potentially making the injury much worse.

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Not sure about the injured players one tbh. As much as feigning injury grinds my gears, it seems like this is going to encourage players to try and get up and play on even when genuinely injured, potentially making the injury much worse.

Also seems to punish teams who's player gets fouled (but offending player isn't booked or sent off), takes 20 seconds to recover from the foul but is then on the sidelines for 2mins?

They've also brought in a rule stating that if there is a clash of heads, both players after having treatment must return to the pitch at the same time - get a feeling this could be abused easily, say a team are playing against Miami and player clashes heads with messi in the last 5mins of the game, surely you'd just treat said player slowly ensuring that messi can't return to the pitch

Carl Fredrickson

Didnt rugby union used to (might still do) allow play to continue when a player is receiving treatment? Would love to see that tried in football unless it is an obvious serious injury. 

Can you imagine a right back being treated and the left winger trying to get round the physio and injured player :) 

46 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Thats excellent and a very smart way of the slow walk off thats been a frustrating issue.

Would add on that if they fail to leave the pitch within the alloted time, the referee also books them. If they're on a yellow already, its a red and as they've not left the field of play the sub cannot come on. 

I like the idea.   Two minutes seems harsh.   A lot can happen in two minutes.   One minute would be enough.   I guess these rules can be amended later after complaints, where all clubs agree and not just the odd few. 

The sub rule seems OK I guess.   If they're not injured, get off.   

It will encourage me to watch MLS again after a long break.   Just to see how it will pan out. 

33 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

America is miles ahead with timing related rules, shot clock in basketball, play clock in NFL, they've even introduced a pitch clock in the MLB, all with positive results. 

Granted, these sports are a lot more structured and stop start with timeouts at each clubs disposal but still.  

Cant remember if it was against us or not , but I am sure I read an article a couple of years ago about a Motherwell game and the ‘ ball in play ‘ time was something embarrassing like 30 minutes ………… I mean come on eh . Made worse by the fact that the media praise clubs for this sort of gameplay , because it is effective . How do you market that level of complete and utter shite 

Nookie Bear

If someone is rolling around and appears to be in serious pain, shoot them.

Bob Loblaw

15 seconds doesn't feel like a particularly sufficient time to recover. So you take a sore one, and if you're not on your feet within 15 seconds, you're the team that's punished further? I get the idea but not sure it's great.

Bull's-eye

Stop the source of the problem not the aftermath.  

Players cheat, start sending them off, start retrospectively banning them if decisions can't be made on the field quickly enough. 

Feigning injury is obviously the issue, so punishment for an injured player is ridiculous. 

Give the cheats 5 game bans and watch the cheating miraculously disappear within weeks.

This is My Story Podcast

Am pretty sure the rule of leaving the field from the nearest point is still in play in Scotland yet isn’t enforced. Same with celebrating or goading fans. Rudi was booked every other week for pointing at his toes yet Watkins at tynie only a few weeks ago, straight to section G giving it big licks. Morelos as well. Never booked. 

Changes sound great but they have to be enforced. Remember the 6 second rule as well. Comes and goes quickly as officials don’t enforce it. 

adambraejambo

2 min rule is stupid idea. Teams will deliberately target players to try and get them off for 2 mins. We playing Hibs and are 2-1 up with 6 mins injury time left. Both teams used all 5 subs. They pressing us hard lumping numerous long balls into our box. Kent is single handedly keeping them out. A hibs player takes a deliberate yellow resulting in Kent needing some treatment. Hibs  score in those 2 mins when we down to 10 men. 

46 minutes ago, OTT said:

Thats excellent and a very smart way of the slow walk off thats been a frustrating issue.

Would add on that if they fail to leave the pitch within the alloted time, the referee also books them. If they're on a yellow already, its a red and as they've not left the field of play the sub cannot come on. 

Seemingly the MLS have trialed it in their Next gen level and from 3000+ subs 99.7% were able to make it off the pitch in under 10 seconds so looks like it'll work

Hannibal

not so sure i like the idea.

So say a player clatters another and gets booked.

The player who got clattered then has 15 seconds to get up or he is off the pitch for 2 minutes. 

seems somewhat unfair in those circumstances (if i am understanding it correctly.)

Do like the one regarding the subs though. 

Just now, adambraejambo said:

2 min rule is stupid idea. Teams will deliberately target players to try and get them off for 2 mins. We playing Hibs and are 2-1 up with 6 mins injury time left. Both teams used all 5 subs. They pressing us hard lumping numerous long balls into our box. Kent is single handedly keeping them out. A hibs player takes a deliberate yellow resulting in Kent needing some treatment. Hibs  score in those 2 mins when we down to 10 men. 

It's not enforced for head injuries or where the injury is the result of a yellow or red card level foul, in your example they'd need to foul Kent and injure him without picking up a booking/red for it to work

Just now, Hannibal said:

not so sure i like the idea.

So say a player clatters another and gets booked.

The player who got clattered then has 15 seconds to get up or he is off the pitch for 2 minutes. 

seems somewhat unfair in those circumstances (if i am understanding it correctly.)

Do like the one regarding the subs though. 

See my post above

3 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Seemingly the MLS have trialed it in their Next gen level and from 3000+ subs 99.7% were able to make it off the pitch in under 10 seconds so looks like it'll work

Kind of wild that FIFA never thought about that as a rule. 

Makes perfect sense, and does a fantastic job at tackling time wasting. 

Next up is the goalkicks!! Can still remember Rab Douglas mentally breaking me with how long his took when Dundee beat us at Tynie in like 2013/14ish 

tian447

10 seconds to recognise that it's your number that has been shown, and to sprint off the pitch for a substution is a bit much :lol:

I can't wait to see that one brought into the Scottish Premiership.  Playing the Old Firm, Cammy Devlin on a booking, and gets a second yellow for taking 11 seconds to get off the pitch.  Substitution hasn't taken place yet, so we're down to 10 men. Sorry! Meanwhile, their lot are free to milk some applause and wander off at their own pace. 

Edited by tian447

waterboy11
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Didnt rugby union used to (might still do) allow play to continue when a player is receiving treatment? Would love to see that tried in football unless it is an obvious serious injury. 

Can you imagine a right back being treated and the left winger trying to get round the physio and injured player :) 

Yes - referee will only stop the play if it's a really serious injury or if the play is getting close to the injured player/medics and might cause further injury.

milky_26
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Still happens in rugby. Your last sentence is why that would not work in football. Unless the physio gets brought on in a bubble wrap some to protect the player 

42 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

15 seconds doesn't feel like a particularly sufficient time to recover. So you take a sore one, and if you're not on your feet within 15 seconds, you're the team that's punished further? I get the idea but not sure it's great.

I see what you mean that 15 seconds does feel long enough. I think I would need to closely watch a player who goes down injured to see how it worked. It would also be interesting to see the average time injured players who carry on stay down for

AllyjamboDerbyshire
2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Sounds like a reward for hammer throwers. 

OnlyTheLonely

Someone going down holding their face when kicked in the leg should be kicked in the face.

Jim_Duncan
21 minutes ago, OnlyTheLonely said:

Someone going down holding their face when kicked in the leg should be kicked in the face.

Each team could have an allotted player to carry this out. 

Spellczech

Only problem is for genuine injuries - clobber someone and you get to play 10 men for 2 mins...

Jim_Duncan

Gamesmanship overall is ruining the game. Players rolling about at the slightest touch is infuriating.

As is players kicking the ball away. Why do they only book players for this at the end of a game? It starts in the first minute. I was at the primary school tournament at Wardie yesterday and seeing 11 year old ladies copying this kind of stuff was tragic. And it’s being encouraged by the coaches. 

been here before

Injury one not sure about. Wholly with the subs one though.

The rule where the subbed player has to leave via the nearest touchline has been largely ignored.

Samuel Camazzola

In the professional game, the simple thing to do is remove time-keeping from the referee. 

Once play is halted for a stoppage where additional time is usually added (injury, subs, VAR), the time-keeper simply stops the clock. 

The sub idea is good as it prevents a team trying to kill the flow of the game. 

This would cut out the guesswork that goes into some of the ridiculous additional time being added. Once the regulation time is up and as soon as the ball is dead, game over. 

Nookie Bear

Why not have a stop clock and have two halves of 30 mins each?

That means a player can feign injury all they like but no time is wasted.

busbyfth
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

re first sentence - 4th official on the sidelines....stopwatch/timekeeper - rather than being there to listen to managers bitching about things to no avail. 

busbyfth
37 minutes ago, OnlyTheLonely said:

Davie Provan and Ally McCoist would have had a really hard time then as they were two of the most awful actors in the Scottish game. Made Miko seem as if he was genuine

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

10 seconds to recognise that it's your number that has been shown, and to sprint off the pitch for a substution is a bit much :lol:

I can't wait to see that one brought into the Scottish Premiership.  Playing the Old Firm, Cammy Devlin on a booking, and gets a second yellow for taking 11 seconds to get off the pitch.  Substitution hasn't taken place yet, so we're down to 10 men. Sorry! Meanwhile, their lot are free to milk some applause and wander off at their own pace. 

Just forces players to leave via the nearest touchline, MLS tested it in the next gen league and 99.7% of substituted players managed to leave the pitch in 10 seconds or less (there are exclusions for injured players and goalkeepers)

ScottieMac17
5 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Just forces players to leave via the nearest touchline, MLS tested it in the next gen league and 99.7% of substituted players managed to leave the pitch in 10 seconds or less (there are exclusions for injured players and goalkeepers)

Unfortunately I feel that the 10 seconds for two clubs in particular would be a lot longer, I could see this annoying a lot of people when it is trying to help. 

Its a shame that in our league I always get the feeling that anything brought in to make the game fairer will be abused by to specific teams with the referees allowing them too abuse them. 

3 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Unfortunately I feel that the 10 seconds for two clubs in particular would be a lot longer, I could see this annoying a lot of people when it is trying to help. 

Its a shame that in our league I always get the feeling that anything brought in to make the game fairer will be abused by to specific teams with the referees allowing them too abuse them. 

I get that, we should have a big countdown clock on the big screens for every sub to ensure the ref complies!

jock _turd
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Nah... dig a hole and bury him :clyay:

meister
1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Stop the source of the problem not the aftermath.  

Players cheat, start sending them off, start retrospectively banning them if decisions can't be made on the field quickly enough. 

Feigning injury is obviously the issue, so punishment for an injured player is ridiculous. 

Give the cheats 5 game bans and watch the cheating miraculously disappear within weeks.

This is the solution for me, start penalising divers and fakers retrospectively, watch it all stop especially as players will get publicly tagged for doing such. I know there are others that are awful but imagine if Silva had been pulled up publicly and banned for that nonsense in the OF game, he'd have thought twice about embarrassing himself like he did in the semi at the weekend.

I kinda like the MLS rue but as others have said it does seem to penalise players that are genuinely hurt.

Jambo in Japan

Subs rule seems a good one.

The injury rule, I'm unsure. Could maybe be phased in by applying it to head injuries. In rugby, quite rightly, if a player experiences head contact and doesn't immediately stand up/recover, they're to go off for a head injury assessment (HIA). Think the same should apply to football. If you're lying on the ground holding your head, the game should stop, but you should then be off the pitch receiving proper treatment.

jamboozy
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Gets my vote.😐

meister
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Each team could have an allotted player to carry this out. 

Re-sign Bruno specifically for this role 🤌

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Why not have a stop clock and have two halves of 30 mins each?

That means a player can feign injury all they like but no time is wasted.

This seems so logical that FIFA will never go for it. Would instantly make time-wasting a thing of the past.

Good idea in theory but you know some teams will get more leeway than others.

Stuart Lyon

I'd like to see a situation where a free kick is given and the fouled player has to go off for treatment, the offending player also has to go off otherwise his team are at an unfair advantage until the injured player returns.

I’m in 👍,but the usual “old firm” theatrics would make it moot for most of our games unless we hire refs with actual balls.

Francis Albert

Americans trying to reduce time wasting in "soccer"

when in their version  of football it can take about four hours to complete an hour of actual play?

Mind you with VAR we are already moving in that direction!

Said similar at the Livi game. Boy was down for 3 mins back on after 10 seconds on the touchline. My version was they stand at the side for the same length of time they wasted.

tian447
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Americans trying to reduce time wasting in "soccer"

when in their version  of football it can take about four hours to complete an hour of actual play?

Mind you with VAR we are already moving in that direction!

At least VAR replays don't have adverts on them.... 

Yet. 

"This offside decision has been brought to you by Coors Light. When you have a thirst that only some diluted pish can quench, grab a Coors Light!