Chinese drug cheats won multiple medals in Tokyo

Ulysses

Ulysses

A story here about how 23 Chinese swimmers tested positive for a banned drug, but were cleared to take part in the Tokyo Olympics after the World Anti-Doping Agency accepted a laughable explanation from the Chinese authorities. Several went on to win medals, including three golds.

23 of the 30 Chinese swim team for the games tested positive, and apparently all six Chinese swimming medals at the games were won by this group.

You couldn't make up the fairytale excuse made by the Chinese, but WADA have made a laughing stock of themselves by accepting it.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/apr/20/chinese-swimmers-won-olympic-golds-after-testing-positive-for-banned-drug?CMP=share_btn_url

Malinga the Swinga
45 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

A story here about how 23 Chinese swimmers tested positive for a banned drug, but were cleared to take part in the Tokyo Olympics after the World Anti-Doping Agency accepted a laughable explanation from the Chinese authorities. Several went on to win medals, including three golds.

23 of the 30 Chinese swim team for the games tested positive, and apparently all six Chinese swimming medals at the games were won by this group.

You couldn't make up the fairytale excuse made by the Chinese, but WADA have made a laughing stock of themselves by accepting it.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/apr/20/chinese-swimmers-won-olympic-golds-after-testing-positive-for-banned-drug?CMP=share_btn_url

They've been cheating for years. No surprise WADS accepted reasons provided as they're an incompetent corrupt organisation that looks the other way on a regular basis.

Ulysses
2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

They've been cheating for years. No surprise WADS accepted reasons provided as they're an incompetent corrupt organisation that looks the other way on a regular basis.

Given the excuse they accepted on that occasion, you'd be forced to  conclude that they're either highly corrupt or hopelessly incompetent. 

News out today that China's 4x200 freestyle women's relay team have been stripped of the gold medal they got in Tokyo, and the world record they set in the final has been cancelled, because of a doping violation at the games.  The USA team has been awarded gold, and it means a bronze for the Canadians.  

Ulysses

One of those who got off the hook after testing positive was Wang Shun.  He went on to win gold in the 200 metres IM.  The silver medallist was Scottish swimmer Duncan Scott.

I'd also imagine that a certain Kamila Valieva (Russian figure skater) might be a little aggrieved at the double standards by WADA.  A few months after WADA accepted the fairytale explanation by the Chinese authorities, Valieva tested positive for the same drug.  But WADA wasn't happy to accept any excuses from the Russian national authorities, and Valieva was booted out of competition for four years.

PortyJambo
22 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

One of those who got off the hook after testing positive was Wang Shun.  He went on to win gold in the 200 metres IM.  The silver medallist was Scottish swimmer Duncan Scott.

Was that the one where Scott refused to shake his hand after, as presumably knew he was a drugs cheat? I recall him coming 2nd to a Chinese swimmer, and the reaction afterwards, but can't recall if it was at the Tokyo Olympics.

Ulysses
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Was that the one where Scott refused to shake his hand after, as presumably knew he was a drugs cheat? I recall him coming 2nd to a Chinese swimmer, and the reaction afterwards, but can't recall if it was at the Tokyo Olympics.

I don't know if he did it at the Olympics, but he was one of two swimmers who refused to shake his hand at the World Championships in 2019.  Yer man has a long history of doping allegations and at least one suspension.

Greedy Jambo

You can't even trust a chinese takeaway to be any good these days, the olympics are the least of my worries.

vegas-voss
36 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You can't even trust a chinese takeaway to be any good these days, the olympics are the least of my worries.

Never feels like the same dish twice in a row anymore ( probably cause it's always a different chef ).Since they all started those shite munchy boxes chinese takeaways have went right downhill.

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Never feels like the same dish twice in a row anymore ( probably cause it's always a different chef ).Since they all started those shite munchy boxes chinese takeaways have went right downhill.

It's just a box of deep fried muck, people still lap them up though, like pies and sausage rolls at greggs. 

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

As Uly replied 

https://youtu.be/J39iOuRd0Ew?feature=shared

Mind might be playing games, but after Liz Mcolgan won gold at the World Athletic Championships, was there not 3 Chinese long distance (10,000m) runners that came out of absolutely nowhere and took Gold, Silver and Bronze at the Olympics?

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

I miss Mr Lee's. :(

PortyJambo
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I don't know if he did it at the Olympics, but he was one of two swimmers who refused to shake his hand at the World Championships in 2019.  Yer man has a long history of doping allegations and at least one suspension.

53 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

👍

Greedy Jambo
9 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I miss Mr Lee's. :(

Mr Lee's was absolute Quality, their salt and chilli king prawns was on a different level. 

Why do all the good places shut down? while the shite ones continue on. 

Infact, it might be Mr Lynns i'm thinking about, the one up from Gillespie crossroads, past the golf course. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Ulysses
19 minutes ago, JWL said:

Mind might be playing games, but after Liz Mcolgan won gold at the World Athletic Championships, was there not 3 Chinese long distance (10,000m) runners that came out of absolutely nowhere and took Gold, Silver and Bronze at the Olympics?

McColgan finished fifth at the 1992 Olympics following her 1991 World Championship gold, but none of the three medal winners were Chinese.  In 1993, Ireland's Sonia O'Sullivan went into the World Championships as odds-on favourite for both the 1500m and 3000m titles.  Three Chinese athletes won the three medals in the 3000m, and O'Sullivan finished fourth.  She won the silver in the 1500m behind another Chinese athlete.  Of the four Chinese medal winners involved, only one (Wang Junxia) had previously competed in a major championship, and she was the only one to compete in a major championship after 1993.  None of the four athletes were ever found to be doping, though in 2000 their coach (Ma Junren) was fired from the Chinese delegation for the Sydney Olympics when six of his athletes failed drugs tests and were barred from competing.  In 2016, Ma was accused of forcing his athletes to take performance-enhancing drugs, in a letter written by 10 athletes he had coached - including Wang Junxia, the winner of the 1993 women's 3000m gold medal.

11 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

McColgan finished fifth at the 1992 Olympics following her 1991 World Championship gold, but none of the three medal winners were Chinese.  In 1993, Ireland's Sonia O'Sullivan went into the World Championships as odds-on favourite for both the 1500m and 3000m titles.  Three Chinese athletes won the three medals in the 3000m, and O'Sullivan finished fourth.  She won the silver in the 1500m behind another Chinese athlete.  Of the four Chinese medal winners involved, only one (Wang Junxia) had previously competed in a major championship, and she was the only one to compete in a major championship after 1993.  None of the four athletes were ever found to be doping, though in 2000 their coach (Ma Junren) was fired from the Chinese delegation for the Sydney Olympics when six of his athletes failed drugs tests and were barred from competing.  In 2016, Ma was accused of forcing his athletes to take performance-enhancing drugs, in a letter written by 10 athletes he had coached - including Wang Junxia, the winner of the 1993 women's 3000m gold medal.

That's what I was thinking of, thought it was Liz for some reason. They (3 Chinese girls), basically ran their own race in something that was quite bizarre as I don't think anyone had even heard of them before and pretty sure Brendan Foster was quite condescending towards them in his commentary.

Seymour M Hersh

I doubt anyone is surprised the Chinese cheated and how many more managed to evade the tests somehow. The Olympics like all major sports events have been truly ****ed up by those in charge and TV. 

John Findlay
3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I doubt anyone is surprised the Chinese cheated and how many more managed to evade the tests somehow. The Olympics like all major sports events have been truly ****ed up by those in charge and TV. 

In a nutshell.

Tommy Brown

Have a vague memory of Australian Customs trying to search the Chinese swimming teams bags. It was causing mayhem. 2000 Olympics.

I've got a really good Chinese mate at work.

I like to him it tight about everything bad about the Chinese.:lol: