Hearts Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Bob Loblaw
19 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I never understand this narrative about McKay. He has been our top assist provider the last two seasons, so though he assisted less than the previous season he still was a key player. The missing in big games is that under Neilson he was used as our only creative player so big teams marked him out of the game. If we had another creative player than it would provide McKay more space to make a difference. As for the injury prone, he has had a bad season this year, but in the previous two seasons he played 86 games, hardly someone who always breaks down.

A lot of times absence makes a players reputation greater in the mind of fans, I feel for McKay its the opposite.

Completely agree.

Also think people get far too caught up in stats like assists. They only tell part of a story. How many chances has he created for us? It's not his fault if the openings he creates aren't capitalised upon.

When fit he's consistently our most creative player IMO and has an eye for a pass no one else at the club possesses.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• OTT

johnking123

McKay eye for pass is excellent.  Hoping Dhanda fills that hole for us.

JimmyCant
46 minutes ago, May98 said:

In comparison to coming to us, a smaller club with less money to pay and achieving just as much?  Decisions decisions. 

When were Middlesboro last in Europe or a national cup final ? When did they last win anything or compete for anything in fact. You go there for money. There is no other reason to go there

Edited by JimmyCant

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Completely agree.

Also think people get far too caught up in stats like assists. They only tell part of a story. How many chances has he created for us? It's not his fault if the openings he creates aren't capitalised upon.

When fit he's consistently our most creative player IMO and has an eye for a pass no one else at the club possesses.

exactly, just look at the Rosenborg game this season, he comes on and makes a big impact on it.

I have said before that a reason we have been so low scoring and finding breaking down defensive teams this season is because McKay was out. The hope was that Lowry would step up but that never happened. Having McKay and Dhanda next season really changes how we play.

kingantti1874

Barrie Mackay is an outstanding player.  Having more options means we will be able to get the best from him.  No danger we will be letting him go. 

11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

When were Middlesboro last in Europe or a national cup final ? When did they last win anything or compete for anything in fact. You go there for money. There is no other reason to go there

Do you think a player considers playing a couple of games in Europe a season a better career move to one of the biggest leagues in the world, playing against better players, playing with better players with a pathway to the best league world football? Going to massive grounds and playing weekly in front of 25,000 plus fans?  It's not just about money.   Otherwise players should just go to play for Shamrock Rovers then if winning trophies and playing in Europe a couple of games is important.

BTW Boro made the Uefa Cup Final and won a national trophy in England this century. 

Anyway who cares.   They could afford him, we couldnae end of story.

FarmerTweedy
8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

You must have missed Calendar day at school

:facepalm:

FarmerTweedy
8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

You must have missed Calendar day at school

He skived off to go walking in the Pentlands then couldn't even find them! 

Gordons left glove

If we weren't short of attacking midfielders come this summer I would have said Tyler goodrham, 10 goals and 5 assists this season in 43 games. Decent stats for a 20 year old 

Bull's-eye

If we're being realistic then we will be weaker next season because Shanks is pretty much irreplaceable.

Gershwin

Always been a fan of Allan Campbell although he's not played that much this season. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Absolutely, a far better player than Forrest for example. 

Given how few chances we actually create in the final 3rd, there is a reasonable argument to replacing both. 

Although, in fairnes to McKay injuries have made him very stop/start for the last couple of seasons.

FWIW I hope we see McKay back to his best soon. That first season was incredible in terms of assists and against such defensive teams we need a player with his intelligence and vision. 

1971fozzy
53 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Barrie Mackay is an outstanding player.  Having more options means we will be able to get the best from him.  No danger we will be letting him go. 

this.  A fully fit Barrie Mackay is a huge benefit. I don’t get those who say otherwise.  The only problem is he doesn’t do it in enough of the bigger games v the arse cheeks but that’s true of many. He’s a great player for us and I couldn’t be happier he is coking back.

innerjambo

This is all dependent on Shanks leaving. But if he does go, we need 2 strikers to replace him, and they must be very good. It then begs the question of do we want a target man, accompanied by a poacher, and, or, a young red hot prospect with bags of potential. I like the look of Dair, and what he does to terrorise defences......just need someone on his shoulder to tap it in.

I would like Allan Campbell, Danny Armstrong & Luke McCowan. 

I'd also not say no to Stuart Findlay. 

If we lose Shankland, I'd certainly be keen to see us ask the question of Jonson Clarke Harris from Peterborough. Shayne Lavery? Suspect we might need to look further afield though. Perhaps there is a solid goalscorer kicking about an Eastern European league? 

1971fozzy
2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

We've seen the best of him. 

2 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

It seems that way

2 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Wee trip to US would do McKay good.

how  can you say we’ve seen the best of him ? He’s been back one half since injury. You have no clue or evidence to say that. At least give him a chance 

9 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

this.  A fully fit Barrie Mackay is a huge benefit. I don’t get those who say otherwise.  The only problem is he doesn’t do it in enough of the bigger games v the arse cheeks but that’s true of many. He’s a great player for us and I couldn’t be happier he is coking back.

I think its more that he's worse than a man down in those games. 

But, ultimatley our season isn't defined by games against the OF. Its about doing the business against the other 9 teams and McKay does do that very well. Having more options going into games against the OF will be good. Neilson I think was far too loyal to him, and for me at least, it got to a point where you knew from the outset that he just wasn't going to perform in those fixtures. Being able to sub him out for Dhanda/Spittal/Forrest and hopefully another of Armstrong/ McCowan's quality will be huge. 

If carlsberg did rivals...

If Shankland goes for big bucks, make the sheep a derisory offer for Miovski.

Famous 1874
8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

We have 4 Australians. 🥸

Ah yes the Hof! He can stay of course 

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, OTT said:

Given how few chances we actually create in the final 3rd, there is a reasonable argument to replacing both. 

Although, in fairnes to McKay injuries have made him very stop/start for the last couple of seasons.

FWIW I hope we see McKay back to his best soon. That first season was incredible in terms of assists and against such defensive teams we need a player with his intelligence and vision. 

As someone said McKay played a lot of games the last two seasons, wasn’t his fault he was rushed back into action and got a bad injury. He has had a far better career than Forrest ever will, and creates far more too. We have missed him a lot this season. 

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

As someone said he is marked closely by better teams, they know hes a danger.

You also had the previous manager playing him in midfield against Rangers alongside Snodgrass and Kuol or marking McGregor against Celtic 😱🤪🤦🏽?!?!

Bazzas right boot

Campbell

Armstrong 

M Johnstone

Jack

Campbell and Nisbet from Millwall would be good signings.  Greg Docherty is another good shout.

Would like to see us go for Jeando Fuchs to replace Beni. 

1 hour ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

This.

Daktari
1 hour ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

12 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

This.

I don't know what Miovski's contract situation is, but wouldn't he be more likely to see himself as on par with Shankland, rather than his replacement?  I'd expect him to be more likely to be looking for a move away from Scotland than to us?

7 minutes ago, Daktari said:

I don't know what Miovski's contract situation is, but wouldn't he be more likely to see himself as on par with Shankland, rather than his replacement?  I'd expect him to be more likely to be looking for a move away from Scotland than to us?

Two years left.  He will leave for £4m plus. 

johnking123

These people that keep wanting permanently injured ryan jack :cornette:

We will spend our money on better.

Ryan Jack and Mikey Johnston would certainly keep the medical team occupied. 

kingantti1874
On 15/02/2024 at 10:27, Lone Striker said:

Seemed to me that Dan Phillips was a Beni type, but with more drive.  

Jesus. Couldn’t lace Beni’s boots. 

no where near his level. Physically stronger maybe but so in the same stratosphere in terms of ability 

Batistuta87
11 hours ago, OTT said:

I would like Allan Campbell, Danny Armstrong & Luke McCowan. 

I'd also not say no to Stuart Findlay. 

If we lose Shankland, I'd certainly be keen to see us ask the question of Jonson Clarke Harris from Peterborough. Shayne Lavery? Suspect we might need to look further afield though. Perhaps there is a solid goalscorer kicking about an Eastern European league? 

Campbell and Armstrong would be great additions but not convinced by McCowan. Would rather get Callum Slattery on a free. Lavery is one that's always interested me and thought we would have signed him when we had a few NI players, but it never happened. He looks decent but goals this season are pretty few and far between. 

I'd spotted a lad called Peter Christiansen as a possible replacement for Shanks... He was sitting on 17 goals and 7 assists from 22 games in the Danish league and was out of contract at the end of the season, but he's just been sold to Viking FC in Norway.

Scott Hogan at Birmingham is another that interests me but similar to Lavery he's not scoring a lot right now.

Big Jurgen Locadia is available at the end of the season too. Ex-Brighton battering ram with a bit of an eclectic career, currently in La Liga 2.

Havard Neilson at Hannover would give us a good old fashioned, experienced number 9 who would surely bang them in here. 

I've mentioned Jamie Maclaren too, who despite being an ex-Hibby would be a good signing with his pace and finishing. 

Loads and loads of options and actually I'm quite confident that if Shanks does go and we get a bit of money for him, that a replacement will be found. 

RustyRightPeg
17 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Jesus. Couldn’t lace Beni’s boots. 

no where near his level. Physically stronger maybe but so in the same stratosphere in terms of ability 

Completely different players. Phillips is more Devlin's style than Beni.

Dia Liom
12 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

If we're being realistic then we will be weaker next season because Shanks is pretty much irreplaceable.

We had a far better season overall with Boyce and (from Jan) Simms. We lost both last year. Absolutely no reason why we can’t be a better team even if we lose Shanks.

johnking123
7 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

We had a far better season overall with Boyce and (from Jan) Simms. We lost both last year. Absolutely no reason why we can’t be a better team even if we lose Shanks.

This is true.  Its about getting right players in. Think we have started that already. Think Vargas will score 15+ next season and others chipping in. Shankland has been been fantastic,  but think we will be just fine without him.

JimmyCant
13 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

He skived off to go walking in the Pentlands then couldn't even find them! 

Keep it alive mate. That’s nearly a year you’ve been going on about it. 

JimmyCant
34 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Campbell and Armstrong would be great additions but not convinced by McCowan. Would rather get Callum Slattery on a free. Lavery is one that's always interested me and thought we would have signed him when we had a few NI players, but it never happened. He looks decent but goals this season are pretty few and far between. 

I'd spotted a lad called Peter Christiansen as a possible replacement for Shanks... He was sitting on 17 goals and 7 assists from 22 games in the Danish league and was out of contract at the end of the season, but he's just been sold to Viking FC in Norway.

Scott Hogan at Birmingham is another that interests me but similar to Lavery he's not scoring a lot right now.

Big Jurgen Locadia is available at the end of the season too. Ex-Brighton battering ram with a bit of an eclectic career, currently in La Liga 2.

Havard Neilson at Hannover would give us a good old fashioned, experienced number 9 who would surely bang them in here. 

I've mentioned Jamie Maclaren too, who despite being an ex-Hibby would be a good signing with his pace and finishing. 

Loads and loads of options and actually I'm quite confident that if Shanks does go and we get a bit of money for him, that a replacement will be found. 

I like the lad Bowie at Notts County. Big step up but he’s been holding his own at under 21 level

25 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

It was interesting to hear that we are erring on the side of too many players as opposed to running with a smaller squad . Probably not a surprise as such , but the balance is always squad harmony vs being left short handed 

AlimOzturk

If we lose shanks what ever money we get must be directly used to fund his replacement, or two. 

12 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

If we lose shanks what ever money we get must be directly used to fund his replacement, or two. 

Yep would agree with that. We don’t need to bank anything or spend on infrastructure. Full amount or whatever is needed should be spent on the squad. 

RustyRightPeg
26 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It was interesting to hear that we are erring on the side of too many players as opposed to running with a smaller squad . Probably not a surprise as such , but the balance is always squad harmony vs being left short handed 

We've had our fingers burned too many times being thin on the ground. 

Under the floodlight
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

I like the lad Bowie at Notts County. Big step up but he’s been holding his own at under 21 level

If it's Kieran Bowie your talking about, I concur, for me, he's been a stand out in most of the games at U21 level I've watched.

He plays for Northampton Town on loan from Fulham I believe.

23 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Agree with this. I don't think we'll get anyone as good as Shankland but we'll need to try.

In all honesty, I think I'd rather keep Shankland for the remaining year of his deal and offer him a big financial incentive to score over 30 in the season. Use the remaining time he's with us to blood Mak Kirk as his successor.

1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

We've had our fingers burned too many times being thin on the ground. 

Yeah totally . We have also had issues with cliques and squad harmony a few times too . It sounds like they have discussed the pros and cons of both potential scenarios though , and that they believe in the system and process in place . I suppose five subs changes things a bit too , and we will potentially be entering four competitions next season 

johnking123
25 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Think that is the plan. Think we are looking to spend all our cash. No point in having money in bank when we have FFP. More you spend, you can basically spend that again fo 3 years. Even if you do get help to cover the books.

Batistuta87
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I like the lad Bowie at Notts County*. Big step up but he’s been holding his own at under 21 level

*Northampton 👍

Big step up for the lad considering he's only been at Raith and Fulham U21s til now. 

He's 21 or 22 though and getting on the scoresheet, so maybe its time for him to really challenge himself. 

Have heard a couple of folk comparing him to Shankland though. He even runs a wee bit like him haha, but basically he knows where the goal is and is just a good finisher. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Leveins Battalion

Kieran Bowie almost signed for us when Levein was gaffer.

DalryJambo
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I think if we're serious about the 'Ajax' model we almost need 4 options in every position.

1) Best option, most likely to be sold next. Starter in big games when fit. 

2) More experienced, 1st reserve to option 1. Able to step up if 1st option is injured or sold, but could take a while to fully fill thier boots permanently. However knows the system and squad and can easily slot in when needed.

3) Emerging talent. In 1st team squad full time, puts pressure on both best option and 1st reserve. 

4) Youth/young player, in 1st team squad for experience and reserve team, maybe getting loaned out. Ready to step into 1st team squad and replace the player in position 3 if others leave or are sold.

3 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

We're in such a shit position as a league. Because we don't have a compeititve deal, diddy scandinavian teams can now comfortably outbid us for players and then down south its a similar story. 

I'm seeing McCowan as a slight downgrade on Armstrong, but both very much desirable players to get. 

I'd have taken Jamie Maclaren too, but I think he's trying to hit the record books in the Aussie league as top scorer, so unless we're prepared to throw money at him, I don't think he's for turning sadly :( 

• JKBMod 13 changed the title to Hearts Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal