Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Just nasty 

I would disappoint in Nouble 

18 months ago he looked a handful but not now 

I would take Vassel from Killie though - imagine him linking up with Shankland 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You must have missed Calendar day at school

Bit of a woosh there mate . It was an April Fools joke , and Al was adding to it 

5 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Like the look of Vassel too, very combative and tough CF - Probably one of the few strikers in the league that are actually competent at what they do. 

I would be interested to know who the club actually have on their short list to replace Shanks. 

The reality is that we're not replacing Shanks in a like for like way, but if we can improve our front 3 to be at a level where they can score 30+ goals between them/ with midfield actually chipping in, then we could be in a good positiion. 

hmfc_liam06
12 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Vassell is the type we’ve needed in our squad all season, a change it up type striker.

johnking123

As I say. Can't see Naismith going for 30 something's unless they are exceptional. I mean a Stuart Armstrong or something like that. We will have another central or south American.  

kingantti1874

Agreed on vassal, would be a great foil for shanks not a replacement.  

JimmyCant
23 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Bit of a woosh there mate . It was an April Fools joke , and Al was adding to it 

Yeh I knew that 😂 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think Vassell would have limited shelf life, looks bulky, an injury risk, with better first touch he could have had us in trouble more than he did, got to be looking for better than that.

We need game changers here now, we have done the SPFL steady ones, the next few signings cant be the journeymen they have to be the quality that inches further up, not sideways

Rick Sanchez

Would really like a Vassell or Bair type player.  It would really help us in Europe IMO. 

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It's also clear who he doesn't favour.

Devlin might go as well tbh.

He's clearly not happy with our midfield apart from Beni and the Hoff.

Sibbick isn't trusted.

Mckay and Spittal add to our wide options So Oda becomes more of a peripheral player.

Tagawa isn't favoured and likley wants to move on.

Naismith isn't ****ing about.

It may well be a balance between his needs/wants and JS profile ££ not taking a dent though. We will need to recoup outlays on those he deems surplus.

If there was interest in Rowles, at the right price i could see him moving on if Neilson reports are favourable and Halks prognosis offers reliable hope.

johnking123

Erik Expósito playing in Poland would be good signing. power, pace and takes penalties.

JamboAl
54 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You must have missed Calendar day at school

I think you must have missed reading the post to which I replied with that comment.

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

One thing Naismith wants is more talking on the pitch. Few more leader types. 

Large vacuum for far too long tbh.

20 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

The team collapsing as it did under Neilson doesn't speak to there being strong leaders in the squad. 

With guys like Shankland, Boyce, Kent, Halkett & Gordon there should be, but obviously last year 4/5 were missing through injury. Also, a real lack of a leader in the middle of the park. 

3 hours ago, OTT said:

Celtic fans are expecting a high calibre replacement for Hart - Kelleher from Liverpool has been their kind of first choice from the press talk. 

If they try and replace Hart with Zander Clark, there will be riots down Parkhead way :lol: - They want the big name. TBH it wouldn't surprise me if Fraser Forster made another return. 

If Clark goes there, its as another Scott Bain or Sieghirst bench warmer. Although, Bain is OOC in the summer, so if we could sell Zander, Gordon returns to #1 and Bain as back up, that isn't an awful situation to be in. 

Pretty sure Bain signed an extension relatively recently? 

A Cameron/McCowan/Armstrong signing would be a signal of intent and a sign that we are looking to take meaningful steps to improve and evolve. 

Good chance we'll collect some significant transfer fees this summer and end up paying upwards of £750,000 in a single acquisition. Maybe more than once. That's the type of steps that's going to make it very hard for any of the pack to keep up with us. It's clear we need to add quality and that'll cost money. The pre contract signings made look very sensible but we'll need to spend a good chunk and I'm sure we will. 

Famous 1874

Phillips is a lot better than Devlin on the ball. Suspect we may only sign him if Beni is going though. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if all 3 Australians are sold. Atkinson and Devlin both average and Rowles is a sellable asset in one of our strongest areas. 

gar jambo
2 minutes ago, Carter said:

A Cameron/McCowan/Armstrong signing would be a signal of intent and a sign that we are looking to take meaningful steps to improve and evolve. 

Good chance we'll collect some significant transfer fees this summer and end up paying upwards of £750,000 in a single acquisition. Maybe more than once. That's the type of steps that's going to make it very hard for any of the pack to keep up with us. It's clear we need to add quality and that'll cost money. The pre contract signings made look very sensible but we'll need to spend a good chunk and I'm sure we will. 

Give me the 2 Dundee guys and Armstrong from killie 

davemclaren
Just now, Famous 1874 said:

Phillips is a lot better than Devlin on the ball. Suspect we may only sign him if Beni is going though. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if all 3 Australians are sold. Atkinson and Devlin both average and Rowles is a sellable asset in one of our strongest areas. 

We have 4 Australians. 🥸

12 minutes ago, Carter said:

Pretty sure Bain signed an extension relatively recently? 

I was just going by Transfermarkt, could well be wrong!

pettigrewsstylist
26 minutes ago, OTT said:

The team collapsing as it did under Neilson doesn't speak to there being strong leaders in the squad. 

With guys like Shankland, Boyce, Kent, Halkett & Gordon there should be, but obviously last year 4/5 were missing through injury. Also, a real lack of a leader in the middle of the park. 

I know what you mean, but being experienced does not automatically make you a leader.

ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I think Vassell would have limited shelf life, looks bulky, an injury risk, with better first touch he could have had us in trouble more than he did, got to be looking for better than that.

We need game changers here now, we have done the SPFL steady ones, the next few signings cant be the journeymen they have to be the quality that inches further up, not sideways

I said to my son that he runs like his shorts are too tight! Except only Simon Murray actually wears tight shorts. :lol:

12 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I know what you mean, but being experienced does not automatically make you a leader.

No, Shankland, Halks & Gordon have all worn the armband, and Boyce is very vocal and demanding from his teammates - otherwise would have listed Kinglsey or Haring etc. 

Wasn't just a random list of experienced players. 

AndrewB
43 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We have 4 Australians. 🥸

Oh Calem, how soon you are forgotten.  

A few people have mentioned Oda as someone who could go. I'd be disappointed if he did. I think he's a player who could develop well, has scored good goals in centre right positions this season and is wasted out on the wing.

15 minutes ago, TommyC said:

A few people have mentioned Oda as someone who could go. I'd be disappointed if he did. I think he's a player who could develop well, has scored good goals in centre right positions this season and is wasted out on the wing.

He's a good impact sub but he's been a bit lacklustre every times he's earned a start. 

Be keen to keep him. My ideal window would be to get Armstrong & McCowan in, let Forrest go (maybe as a make weight for either of those 2) and keep McKay & Oda as cover. 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, Famous 1874 said:

That's the impression I get; totally dependent on the situation with Beni

I really disliked the boy after the 3-2 win, the foul on Devlin, nasty, why on Earth Boyce steamed in like that I'll never know, plus Rowles breaking his toe, made it a bittersweet victory, especially since it was Gowser that clumsily landed on the foot

However, I've seen Phillips this season in a few games, live streams and I've watched highlights of every game; he's definitely come on leaps and bounds and is a lot closer to Beni than some think; good passing too

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

johnking123
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

He's a good impact sub but he's been a bit lacklustre every times he's earned a start. 

Be keen to keep him. My ideal window would be to get Armstrong & McCowan in, let Forrest go (maybe as a make weight for either of those 2) and keep McKay & Oda as cover. 

Let Forrest go :cornette:

Butterbean1874
2 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Vessel definitely looked a handful wouldn't be disappointed with him 

JimmyCant
2 minutes ago, Butterbean1874 said:

Vessel definitely looked a handful wouldn't be disappointed with him 

Rather have Bair if that’s the sort we’re going for 

Butterbean1874
30 minutes ago, Sow Easy said:

Beni giving some positive signs about about a new contract.

Wouldn't lose any sleep if he doesn't sign a contract,just don't see it in him 

6 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Let Forrest go :cornette:

If it got Armstrong and McCowan in, absolutely all day long.

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Rather have Bair if that’s the sort we’re going for 

100%. 

Alan Forrest would be Killie and Dundee's best player by a distance. 

johnking123
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

If it got Armstrong and McCowan in, absolutely all day long.

Would rather move McKay and Oda on. Keep Forrest, need players that are fit.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

No he wouldn’t.  Forrest has had a good season but he is very inconsistent and always wants to cut inside (maybe a spell on the right would sort that) and I’d much rather have Armstrong from Killie.  Dundee have Cameron and McCowan who lots of posters on here want us to sign.  I like the look of Cameron from what I’ve seen and reminds me of his namesake. 

35 minutes ago, TommyC said:

Agree , I think he has great potential . If it all clicks with him then I could see him taking off

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, johnking123 said:

Would rather move McKay and Oda on. Keep Forrest, need players that are fit.

I wouldn’t be bothered about Oda moving on but I’d certainly be keeping McKay.  Hopefully he doesn’t become another Halkett or Boyce and is just a one season injury issue.   Definitely keep Forrest too but don’t think he’ll be as much a starter next season. 

jr ewing
2 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Sound won't travel in a vacuum. 

38 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

No he wouldn't :lol: 

30 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

No he wouldn’t.  Forrest has had a good season but he is very inconsistent and always wants to cut inside (maybe a spell on the right would sort that) and I’d much rather have Armstrong from Killie.  Dundee have Cameron and McCowan who lots of posters on here want us to sign.  I like the look of Cameron from what I’ve seen and reminds me of his namesake. 

He would. 

Hearts are a different level from Killie and Dundee. 

They are good players in decent teams. Going to Hearts is a step up in terms of expectations, performance, consistency and competition for places. 

I'm not saying these lads aren't good enough, I think Armstrong, McGowan and Cameron are well worth a punt but if you put Forrest in their team, he'd stand out for them. He stands out for us most weeks so how would he not be when he's doing that at a better team. 

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

See above. 

Absolutely no team in the league would rather have Forrest than Armstrong, let along Forrest being considerably better.

We didn't look that much of a different level to Killie on Saturday or the other games we have played them this season.  Nor Dundee for that matter.

Bias because he plays for HMFC imo.   It's the same as saying YD is better than players and even Spittall, purely based on the fact they have signed PCA's for us.

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He would. 

Hearts are a different level from Killie and Dundee. 

They are good players in decent teams. Going to Hearts is a step up in terms of expectations, performance, consistency and competition for places. 

I'm not saying these lads aren't good enough, I think Armstrong, McGowan and Cameron are well worth a punt but if you put Forrest in their team, he'd stand out for them. He stands out for us most weeks so how would he not be when he's doing that at a better team. 

I agree with you up to “ by a distance “ . I think people underestimate Forrest badly , and if he was doing what he does to other teams , to us , then people would be wanting us to sign him and probably saying that he is their best player. I think he could be the best player in those teams , but I would probably not go as far as by a distance 

Just now, May98 said:

Absolutely no team in the league would rather have Forrest than Armstrong, let along Forrest being considerably better.

We didn't look that much of a different level to Killie on Saturday or the other games we have played them this season.  Nor Dundee for that matter.

Bias because he plays for HMFC imo.   It's the same as saying YD is better than players and even Spittall, purely based on the fact they have signed PCA's for us.

No wide player or winger at our level is going to look great against that defence we were up against on Saturday . They are set up to sit deep in a gang like musk oxen trying to repel wolves

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I agree with you up to “ by a distance “ . I think people underestimate Forrest badly , and if he was doing what he does to other teams , to us , then people would be wanting us to sign him and probably saying that he is their best player. I think he could be the best player in those teams , but I would probably not go as far as by a distance 

He's a good player, very effective for us.  He wouldn't be the best player in the team directly below us though.  Armstrong is far more consistent and actually effective.     Armstrong for us would be dynamite imo.  Forrest didn't stand out that much even for Livi.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

No wide player or winger at our level is going to look great against that defence we were up against on Saturday . They are set up to sit deep in a gang like musk oxen trying to repel wolves

You could argue that as we have one of the best defenses in the league it's incredibly tough for players to look good against us either. 

Just now, May98 said:

He's a good player, very effective for us.  He wouldn't be the best player in the team directly below us though.  Armstrong is far more consistent and actually effective.     Armstrong for us would be dynamite imo.  Forrest didn't stand out that much even for Livi.

I like Armstrong but I do think people make him out to be a bit better than he is in all honesty , but he has age on his side and will get even better . Different sort of player for me , I think Armstrong has a far better delivery 

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )