Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

TheBigO
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Never understand the Hearts supporters who actively try and drive prices down for our players on here . We are the only club in this division who do it . Look on an Aberdeen or Hibs forum and they do the complete opposite . Some weird sort of Hearts cringe with some of our fans 

indeed.  All of this "he'll never play EPL" stuff as well.  What do people get out of that!?

I actually don't give two shiny shites about any of it other than if we do sell someone, our clubs stands up and demands the cash.  And I think we now do/will.  If the player is happy to go to PNE and they offer us the £3m, then so be it.  If it's Brentford, Bournemouth or any of those other clubs who claim to be big these days, so what?

And in truth, unlike Hibs and Aberdeen, I want our best players to stay with us.  As soon as someone can trap a ball or manages a shot on target or maybe wins a header, the entirity of Hibs from supporters to kit man to DoF have him (over)valued and on the market.  Na, not for me, just keep playing well for us, lad, and what will be will be.  If offers some, the club will decide.  The end.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Pasquale for King

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

indeed.  All of this "he'll never play EPL" stuff as well.  What do people get out of that!?

I actually don't give two shiny shites about any of it other than if we do sell someone, our clubs stands up and demands the cash.  And I think we now do/will.  If the player is happy to go to PNE and they offer us the £3m, then so be it.  If it's Brentford, Bournemouth or any of those other clubs who claim to be big these days, so what?

And in truth, unlike Hibs and Aberdeen, I want our best players to stay with us.  As soon as someone can trap a ball or manages a shot on target or maybe wins a header, the entirity of Hibs from supporters to kit man to DoF have him (over)valued and on the market.  Na, not for me, just keep playing well for us, lad, and what will be will be.  If offers some, the club will decide.  The end.

Absolutely spot on . Totally weird behaviour and I just do not get it . Even as we beat teams and prove how much better our players are , we see our own fans low balling their value and worth , while sneering at low monetary valuations . Over the other side of the fence the fans of the teams we beat are flinging millions about at players who are simply not as good as ours . Proper oddball stuff for me

Also agree that I would generally rather keep a player who is good and let them leave for nothing . If they leave before their contract is up though , I want the club demanding top compensation 

TheBigO
8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Absolutely spot on . Totally weird behaviour and I just do not get it . Even as we beat teams and prove how much better our players are , we see our own fans low balling their value and worth , while sneering at low monetary valuations . Over the other side of the fence the fans of the teams we beat are flinging millions about at players who are simply not as good as ours . Proper oddball stuff for me

Also agree that I would generally rather keep a player who is good and let them leave for nothing . If they leave before their contract is up though , I want the club demanding top compensation 

Yup tho I'm not even saying prefer them to stay over leave for nothing.  I'd just prefer them to stay full stop.  So like Shanks, £6m or stay.  Stay please.

But at the same time, I accept our place in the food chain, so if offers come and/or player wants to go do something else, then I get it and the club will get the best deal we can.

JamboAl
42 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Don't know why you're getting yourself upset about what others think of a player's value.  It's only opinions.

A club will pay what they think a player is worth in relation to what they can afford and how badly they need that player at that time.  What someone on Kickback thinks is totally irrelevant.

RustyRightPeg
13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Don't know why you're getting yourself upset about what others think of a player's value.  It's only opinions.

A club will pay what they think a player is worth in relation to what they can afford and how badly they need that player at that time.  What someone on Kickback thinks is totally irrelevant.

Happens all the time though. Other clubs have done it, so why can't we? 

It's like folk enjoy focusing on the negative.

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Never understand the Hearts supporters who actively try and drive prices down for our players on here . We are the only club in this division who do it . Look on an Aberdeen or Hibs forum and they do the complete opposite . Some weird sort of Hearts cringe with some of our fans 

Don't understand posters that are so aloof on such things and other aspects

They just set themselves up to be called hibbys, no doubt some are, but strangely not as many as it seems

HopeDiouf
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I  cant understand why anyone would think transfer fees are affected by what folks post on a forum :)

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Yup tho I'm not even saying prefer them to stay over leave for nothing.  I'd just prefer them to stay full stop.  So like Shanks, £6m or stay.  Stay please.

But at the same time, I accept our place in the food chain, so if offers come and/or player wants to go do something else, then I get it and the club will get the best deal we can.

People who want Hearts players to stay at the same level or to fail are just strange.

How selfish can you be to prefer that to making heavy profits on players who come here and prove themselves to be too good, or become too good, and earn themselves a move. And when they do we should squeeze every pound we can out of the buyer. 

I would love it if we sold 1 player a year for a couple of million. Would be absolutely delighted. 

Edited by Batistuta87

25 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Not sure upset is the right word . I find it really weird and have a sort of morbid interest in such things . Similarly sized clubs but such a different attitude towards valuation of players 

11 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Happens all the time though. Other clubs have done it, so why can't we? 

It's like folk enjoy focusing on the negative.

It is a bit odd though eh ? Unless these things happen on private threads at other clubs forums or something . Just find it interesting that we have so many online supporters who do this compared to others 

5 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

I  cant understand why anyone would think transfer fees are affected by what folks post on a forum :)

I dont really think that to be honest , I just find it really weird that it happens so much here where we actually have better players than the clubs whos fans are shamelessly trying to value players at five times their worth :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

People who want Hearts players to stay at the same level or to fail are just strange.

How selfish can you be to prefer that to making heavy profits on players who come here and prove themselves to be too good, or become too good, and earn themselves a move. And when they do we should squeeze every pound we can out of the buyer. 

I would love it if we sold 1 player a year for a couple of million. Would be absolutely delighted. 

I am with BigO on this one tbh . I want what is best for Hearts before any player . Shanks is the classic example , of course I want him to go as high and as far as he can . I love the guy . We are not finding a ready made replacement easily though , so personally I would keep him and have his goals before any compensation . Continuity is a big thing at our level as we are showing compared to Hibs and Aberdeen who are selling players for a few million each season but still ending up with big losses and yoyoing up and down the league 

HopeDiouf

I dont really think that to be honest , I just find it really weird that it happens so much here where we actually have better players than the clubs whos fans are shamelessly trying to value players at five times their worth :lol: 

I'm maybe missing something but is it not just folks having different opinions/valuations of players?  

Personally I think Cochrane is a good/very good player at our level.  Could prob get a decent fee for him in the summer, if someone wants him and we want to sell and he wants to go.  I'd guess at his next move being upper championship level somewhere.  As for the EPL stuff, prob require him to make that move and show he can do it at upper end of championship, which might just get him a promotion or a shot at a transfer to one of the promoted/lower EPL clubs.

Batistuta87
16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I am with BigO on this one tbh . I want what is best for Hearts before any player . Shanks is the classic example , of course I want him to go as high and as far as he can . I love the guy . We are not finding a ready made replacement easily though , so personally I would keep him and have his goals before any compensation . Continuity is a big thing at our level as we are showing compared to Hibs and Aberdeen who are selling players for a few million each season but still ending up with big losses and yoyoing up and down the league 

Yeah totally agree mate. 

We pretty much need to have a bit of a revolving door thing going on where players come in, get better, and go out to a profit. The club can only grow if it makes money and it can only make good money if it grows and sells players. 

Of course I want Shankland to stay. I'd give him a 5y deal on a big wage tomorrow if he'd sign it. But like you I want him to crack on and show people what he can do and if we get a good sum of money from it - great. As long as its invested in a replacement. It makes you proud though doesn't it - to see a Hearts player go on to big things. I love watching Hickey smash some of the top strikers in the PL. 

Edited by Batistuta87

11 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

I'm maybe missing something but is it not just folks having different opinions/valuations of players?  

Personally I think Cochrane is a good/very good player at our level.  Could prob get a decent fee for him in the summer, if someone wants him and we want to sell and he wants to go.  I'd guess at his next move being upper championship level somewhere.  As for the EPL stuff, prob require him to make that move and show he can do it at upper end of championship, which might just get him a promotion or a shot at a transfer to one of the promoted/lower EPL clubs.

I do not think this ‘ step up ‘ to the Championship part is a real thing if I am honest . I think if a player is good enough to step up to the bottom third of the EPL they will do it just as comfortably going straight from Hearts as they would a Championship club . This is a thing that has come about to make further excuses for Premiership clubs not getting market value for their players 

HopeDiouf

I do not think this ‘ step up ‘ to the Championship part is a real thing if I am honest . I think if a player is good enough to step up to the bottom third of the EPL they will do it just as comfortably going straight from Hearts as they would a Championship club . This is a thing that has come about to make further excuses for Premiership clubs not getting market value for their players 

No doubt  the player would.  But doubt many clubs would take what they see as a gamble.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

And what are the other forums like?  You claim we are the only fans who do this but only give two examples.  In fact they’re not even examples.  

Every club’s fan forums will have a range of fans just like here from the reasonable, intelligent ones to the blinkered ones, to the not so intelligent to the trolls and absolute moon howlers.  In other words a normal representation of society.  

I think it fair to say you’re more aligned to the Hibs fantasists you refer to though when valuing your own team’s players!  Especially when you think we can get a 7 figure fee for the weakest of our regular starting 11 (apologies if I’ve confused you with someone else).  

Chuck Berry

If Cochrane wants to go then it has to be well north of £1m plus a sell of percentage.  On the subject of the EPL, of course he can hack it.

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Do we really think that fans opinions on valuation has any bearing whatsoever on the price a player is sold for.

Shankland for example. I’ve seen him valued on here at anything between £1.5m and £7m. No club, especially not ours will pay a blind bit of attention to that and he’ll go to whatever club pays OUR club’s valuation AND which Shankland agrees to go to. And then you’ll have the ‘good deal’ vs ‘shite deal’ debate. 

It’s all basically irrelevant opinion in the grand scheme 

My opinion on Shankland is £3m is now a ‘good deal’ with one year to run. Less than £2m is a shite deal. more than £4.5m is an extraordinary deal.

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

If Cochrane wants to go then it has to be well north of £1m plus a sell of percentage.  On the subject of the EPL, of course he can hack it.

He’s not good enough defensively yet (maybe never will be) for EPL but you could be right about the fee. 

Jim Panzee
11 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

James Hill recently played against Liverpool in the EPL.

Is he markedly a better player than Cochrane? I'd say he looked no better or worse...

Chuck Berry
Just now, Jim Panzee said:

James Hill recently played against Liverpool in the EPL.

Is he markedly a better player than Cochrane? I'd say he looked no better or worse...

Correct, it's a different type of game down there and I think it's perhaps more suited to Cochrane's style of play.  He would hold down a starting slot in a bottom half EPL team no problem IMO.

That said I think it's more likely he ends up in the Championship.  If it's true he wants to leave then his agent will already be working on it.

15 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Do we really think that fans opinions on valuation has any bearing whatsoever on the price a player is sold for.

Shankland for example. I’ve seen him valued on here at anything between £1.5m and £7m. No club, especially not ours will pay a blind bit of attention to that and he’ll go to whatever club pays OUR club’s valuation AND which Shankland agrees to go to. And then you’ll have the ‘good deal’ vs ‘shite deal’ debate. 

It’s all basically irrelevant opinion in the grand scheme 

My opinion on Shankland is £3m is now a ‘good deal’ with one year to run. Less than £2m is a shite deal. more than £4.5m is an extraordinary deal.

I know it is all just opinion , I just find it weird but interesting that we as a fanbase are so different in our approach to the two teams closest to us in terms of fanbase . Although I am starting to regret mentioning it now :lol: 

21 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

And what are the other forums like?  You claim we are the only fans who do this but only give two examples.  In fact they’re not even examples.  

Every club’s fan forums will have a range of fans just like here from the reasonable, intelligent ones to the blinkered ones, to the not so intelligent to the trolls and absolute moon howlers.  In other words a normal representation of society.  

I think it fair to say you’re more aligned to the Hibs fantasists you refer to though when valuing your own team’s players!  Especially when you think we can get a 7 figure fee for the weakest of our regular starting 11 (apologies if I’ve confused you with someone else).  

:rofl:

Steady on old boy 

boag1874

It’s so weird how often people talk down our players when they look like they might leave the club. Beni, Cochrane, Simms, Gino to name a few in the past few seasons.

Alex is a tremendous young player with a first class attitude. Are there some holes in his game? Sure, but he’s got plenty of time on his side and a move to a better league could be the making of him. He’s Championship level now imo and if he gets the right coach will creep up to Premiership level.

Around £2.5-3m wouldn’t be out the question for him in his last year of contract, nice profit for the club and all the best to him as he tries to fulfill his own ambitions.

These are the types I want at Hearts, young hungry players who come in, appreciate the opportunity they’ve been given to play here, work their arse off for us and raise their own stock before moving on to a higher level 

Batistuta87

For what its worth, somewhere between £2-3M would be decent for Cochrane. That's a lot of money for someone who cost us probably £200-300k to sign. 

Edited by Batistuta87

RustyRightPeg
6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

For what its worth, somewhere between £2-3M would be decent for Cochrane. That's a lot of money for someone who cost us probably £200-300k to sign. 

Factor in the inevitable sell on clause that Brighton would have inserted too.

Fozzyonthefence
12 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Shankland is the only player we could get that kind of money for. 

boag1874
6 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Shankland is the only player we could get that kind of money for. 

£2-3m is not that much to a Championship club, Shankland is worth a good bit more than that

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

thanks,  transfer that I completely missed.

It shows the money that Championship clubs have swilling about.

Get the feeling, that there is solid interest in AC. We should be getting £2m+.

this backs it up

No no no , we can only expect McCrorie type fees for 30 goal a season strikers like Shankland :lol: 

Fozzyonthefence
18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Steady on old boy 

You mentioned in another post about fantasists of fans of other clubs over valuing their players by over 5 times their real value.  But if you think we’re getting over £1m for Atkinson for example then you’re guilty of exactly the same thing!

Footballers are like houses / they’re only worth what someone is prepared to pay and we don’t exactly have a good track record in player sales.  I might normally be on the pessimistic side of valuations but a lot of that is based on previous transactions.  If we can only get £1.5m for Hickey with a year left on his contract I’m struggling to see on what basis people think we can get more for a lesser and older player in Cochrane (someone said only a year left too?) or how we can get north of £5m for a much older Shankland. 🤷‍♂️

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

£2-3m is not that much to a Championship club, Shankland is worth a good bit more than that

To us yes but I doubt very much to a buying club when he is only down to a year left on his contract.  Certainly not  a cat in hell’s chance Celtic or Rangers will offer more than that.  Only way I see it with an English Championship club is if he scores a few goals at Euros (but doubt he will get much game time). 

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

No no no , we can only expect McCrorie type fees for 30 goal a season strikers like Shankland :lol: 

I know you’re being sarcastic but history tells us that you’re actually correct.  Gordon is the only player in our history we’ve sold for more than that.  We can debate whether that’s because they’ve been undersold or simply not good enough or that recent boards lacked the backbone of Vlad. 

7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You mentioned in another post about fantasists of fans of other clubs over valuing their players by over 5 times their real value.  But if you think we’re getting over £1m for Atkinson for example then you’re guilty of exactly the same thing!

Footballers are like houses / they’re only worth what someone is prepared to pay and we don’t exactly have a good track record in player sales.  I might normally be on the pessimistic side of valuations but a lot of that is based on previous transactions.  If we can only get £1.5m for Hickey with a year left on his contract I’m struggling to see on what basis people think we can get more for a lesser and older player in Cochrane (someone said only a year left too?) or how we can get north of £5m for a much older Shankland. 🤷‍♂️

Calm yourself Fuzzy , this internet stuff is not that serious a business . There are no winners or losers :) 

40 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Correct, it's a different type of game down there and I think it's perhaps more suited to Cochrane's style of play.  He would hold down a starting slot in a bottom half EPL team no problem IMO.

That said I think it's more likely he ends up in the Championship.  If it's true he wants to leave then his agent will already be working on it.

Cochrane isn’t playing in the Premiership holding down a place at this stage of his development.  Not many players in our whole entire league are good enough to do so. Sometimes I don’t think people appreciate the gulf in quality between the leagues. 

People claimed the same with Patterson and Jimmy Dunne. 

Edited by May98

1874robbo
16 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

We don't take 6 points off Celtic this season without Grant.

And that's just 2 games I can think of.

Thanks for asking.

Never asked you but thanks for your reply 😂😂😂

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Calm yourself Fuzzy , this internet stuff is not that serious a business . There are no winners or losers :) 

Says the guy that is so serious he’s made almost 20k posts in 2 years!  Is that your comeback when you know I’m right though?!  Perfectly calm though and pants dry, just pointing out your hypocrisy but we can bump these pages up in the summer again when there is some outgoing transfer business!

2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Says the guy that is so serious he’s made almost 20k posts in 2 years!  Is that your comeback when you know I’m right though?!  Perfectly calm though and pants dry, just pointing out your hypocrisy but we can bump these pages up in the summer again when there is some outgoing transfer business!

Sorry , I clearly never realised this was such a serious business for you . Will it help you have a better day if I just say you have “ won “ ? I could even make a wee trophy out of foil or something and ask the admins to pass it on to you :lol: 

gar jambo
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Simple any player is only worth what clubs are prepared to pay or don't sell! 

gar jambo
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Simple we can say what we think they are worth but only they are only worth what clubs are willing to pay or the highest bid! 

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

Simple we can say what we think they are worth but only they are only worth what clubs are willing to pay or the highest bid! 

Exactly!

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Sorry , I clearly never realised this was such a serious business for you . Will it help you have a better day if I just say you have “ won “ ? I could even make a wee trophy out of foil or something and ask the admins to pass it on to you :lol: 

It’s not serious for me that’s why I (or anyone else for that matter) doesn’t post as often as you.  You normally try to at least debate things but you’re actually just posting pish now presumably to get that all important post count up.  I’ll leave you to it, I’m sure you can get to that 20k by the end of the day.  Now that would be deserving of a tin foil trophy!👍

Drylaw Hearts
3 hours ago, Sooks said:

🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

TheBigO
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Think we're agreeing here Bati.  I want our players to go on to a higher level simply because it means they've smashed it for Hearts.  If any player moves to a bigger club (other than OF obvs!!) for good dosh, it's great all round really cos it means we've profited but more importanly for me, as a fan, they've more than likely done really well for us in their time with us.

We need to be seen as a team who won't stand in players' way as that makes us more attractive, but we do also need to get and push value, so it's a balancing act.  What I do also think is there's a flip side where we'll look after a player.  Do you want to jump at the first offer we've had, or do you want to stay, get even better and earn a better move?

It's the oppposite down Lochend.  2 years ago, Kensell got ripped a new one by Gordon cos they hadnt cashed in "yet" on Nisbet, Porteous, Doig and I think Boyle at the time.  There was no waiting for right offer, there was no what's best for club and player, it was 100% get the dosh in while their names are being somewhat mentioned.

Serious business this . I will try and avoid commenting on online supporters valuations of players in future . Sorry :lol: 

Looks like it's taken the usual turn of events where intolerance of differing opinions have taken hold and accusations of talking down our players have intensified.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

You are only as worth as much as someone is willing to pay for you.

That is then dependent on other factors, how desperate you are to fill that position, and who else is available, you may consider to offer more value.

Its a moving target

38 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

That is then dependent on other factors, how desperate you are to fill that position, and who else is available, you may consider to offer more value.

Its a moving target

Yep. Also could be subject of a bidding war between clubs, which can bump the price of a player way up.

Chuck Berry
2 hours ago, May98 said:

Cochrane isn’t playing in the Premiership holding down a place at this stage of his development.  Not many players in our whole entire league are good enough to do so. Sometimes I don’t think people appreciate the gulf in quality between the leagues. 

People claimed the same with Patterson and Jimmy Dunne. 

Oh I absolutely appreciate the difference, I watch enough of it.  I just disagree with those who think Cochrane couldn't hack it. He can, IMO, and I hope he gets the chance to prove you wrong.

45 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Its a moving target

On the contrary, you are worth as much as the club you play for value you also.  It that isn’t matched by any club player stays. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )