Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Rick Sanchez

If we keep Beni or replace him we'll have a proper tidy midfield for a 4-3-3.

Nieuwenhof

Beni/Phillips

Dhanda

Box to box

Defensive

Attacking

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

HopeDiouf
8 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

I just don’t see where Shankland goes 

Agreed.  Don't see OF taking him.  Don't see premiership or even top championship teams taking him.  So who is gonna stump up the money......I think he'll still be here next season.

kingantti1874
Just now, HopeDiouf said:

Agreed.  Don't see OF taking him.  Don't see premiership or even top championship teams taking him.  So who is gonna stump up the money......I think he'll still be here next season.

so do I.  I feel It in my bones.  Someone will bid a cheeky amount, we will say no and he will sign a longer deal. 

I don’t think rangers want him, or they don’t want him enough to make a reasonable bid.  Any less than £4m should be rejected.  Celtic don’t want him either.

Ive said it a few times but we should offer him a long contract.

Bazzas right boot

These types of signings have various advantages-

-Know the league, better chance of at least being effective straight away and contributing 

- free to buy

- relatively low wages

- at their ages, near or at peak 

- the midfielders at least are filling the gaps our midfield have atm- assists,, creativity and goals.

- if they don't work out, will be relatively easy to punt on a transfer or loan, so again low financial risk.

- they are hungry and will be eager to impress, this is their biggest stage yet.

- no home sickness,  language barriers etc.

The only real down side is that they are unlikely to surprise and really excel, not impossible but less likley imo.

As for bottom 6 signings, Shankland played for a bottom 6 team, that's the worst argument yet, especially when Aberdeen are a bottom 6 side and hibs just made the top 6 last week!

The next level is buying the best of the best, which would probably be the young lad from Dundee and Armstrong from Killie...or if Aberdeen get relegated- Mivoski!

As for Phillips from Saints, if there are clubs after him, especially Aberdeen,  hibs etc who do you think Gowser and CL are pointing him on the direction of?😄

Edited by Bazzas right boot

HopeDiouf

My take on these sort of signings is we've just picked up 2M worth of talent for free.  Due to some good forward planning.  More of this please.  Paying a fee for a player should be for emergency situations.  Planning ahead and bringing in the players we'll most likely need for the season(s) ahead for free should be the norm.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

so do I.  I feel It in my bones.  Someone will bid a cheeky amount, we will say no and he will sign a longer deal. 

I don’t think rangers want him, or they don’t want him enough to make a reasonable bid.  Any less than £4m should be rejected.  Celtic don’t want him either.

Ive said it a few times but we should offer him a long contract.

USA or Saudi might be the curve ball.

Rangers won't pay what we want for him, even if they do want him. They'll bid about £1m or less.

Imo, his lack of  pace and even age  will put clubs of from a big bid, good for us.

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

These types of signings have various advantages-

-Know the league, better chance of at least being effective straight away and contributing 

- free to buy

- relatively low wages

- at their ages, near or at peak 

- the midfielders at least are filling the gaps our midfield have atm- assists,, creativity and goals.

- if they don't work out, will be relatively easy to punt on a transfer or loan, so again low financial risk.

- they are hungry and will be eager to impress, this is their biggest stage yet.

- no home sickness,  language barriers etc.

The only real down side is that they are unlikely to surprise and really excel, not impossible but less likley imo.

As for bottom 6 signings, Shankland played for a bottom 6 team, that's the worst argument yet, especially when Aberdeen are a bottom 6 side and hibs just made the top 6 last week!

The next level is buying the best of the best, which would probably be the young lad from Dundee and Armstrong from Killie...or if Aberdeen get relegated- Mivoski!

Feels like a missed opportunity, not getting him in before he signed a new contract.

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Bazzas right boot
Just now, droid said:

Feels like a missed opportunity, not getting him in before he signed a new contract.

Possibly,  or he was happy to stay at Dundee and earn them a fee in the future.

HopeDiouf
3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Rangers won't pay what we want for him, even if they do want him. They'll bid about £1m or less.

Imo, his lack of  pace and even age  will put clubs of from a big bid, good for us.

True

Edited by HopeDiouf

Deevers
16 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

I think you’ll find The Rangers will be in with a low bid. Thsts always been their way. Try to unsettle him so that we just accept what ever crumbs they offer. That will be accompanied by the usual red top baying about us refusing to crumble. With the club being financially healthy though we have no need to accept it. 

HopeDiouf
Just now, Deevers said:

I think you’ll find The Rangers will be in with a low bid. Thsts always been their way. Try to unsettle him so that we just accept what ever crumbs they offer. That will be accompanied by the usual red top baying about us refusing to crumble. With the club being financially healthy though we have no need to accept it. 

rightly or wrongly, I don't think their manager wants him.  Just my take :)

mud and mullets
1 minute ago, Deevers said:

Either Rangers (who probably don't have the money) or Celtic (who definitely do) would have become instant favourites for the league if they'd coughed up the 5-6m for Shankland we'd probably accept, which is still nothing by their spending standards for a proven 20-goal/year striker at his peak age. The OF's reluctance to pay for good home grown talent while splurging millions on random players from abroad always amazes me. 

If Shankland does run his contract down, one of the OF will probably take him just because they can. Doesn't mean he'd be first choice there though.

Deevers
7 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Nor do I. I have a feeling he’s not impressed with Scottish players.

Rick Sanchez

He's a Rangers fan and that's where he'll end up IMO. He'd be a Kris Boyd for the Sunday games, a reserve striker.

We'll either accept a low ball offer of about 1.5-2m or he'll go there for free the season after.

I've already came to terms with it, it'll soften the blow. I hope we're already planning for it 🤞

ArcticJambo
6 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Nor do I. I have a feeling he’s not impressed with Scottish players.

I'm already looking forward to the day he gets the bullet, hopefully sometime next season. :thumbsup:

BigAlim

___________Gordon

New RB__Kent__Dunne__Kingsley

_Nieuwenhoff__Campbell

__Vargas__Dhanda__Forrest

_________Shankland

With a back up of:

_________________Clark

Atkinson__Neilson__Halkett__Penrice

_____________Devlin__Phillips

__________Oda__Spittal__McKay

________________Boyce

Tait, Denholm and Pollock would make that a squad of 25 and I wouldn’t mind an extra striker.

Cash in on the rest

Pure fantasy from me but Allan Campbell and Jimmy Dunne would be incredible signings

Edited by BigAlim

Section Q
45 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

If he does well in the Euros he'll likely be off. 

Leveins Battalion

I really hope we are in for Josh Knight,would be class alongside Kent.

Doc Rob
39 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Shanks has a real chance to embed himself as a first choice for Scotland this summer. If he goes to Saudi or the USA, he puts that in jeopardy. Same applies if he signs for Rangers* and doesn’t play. All depends on what he wants most.

The fact that he lacks pace means he can’t lose it with age, and doesn’t rely on it, so may be effective for longer. Doesn’t mean we’ll get a big bid, of course.

Edited by Doc Rob

14 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

___________Gordon

New RB__Kent__Dunne__Kingsley

_Nieuwenhoff__Campbell

__Vargas__Dhanda__Forrest

_________Shankland

With a back up of:

_________________Clark

Atkinson__Neilson__Halkett__Penrice

_____________Devlin__Phillips

__________Oda__Spittal__McKay

________________Boyce

Tait, Denholm and Pollock would make that a squad of 25 and I wouldn’t mind an extra striker.

Cash in on the rest

Pure fantasy from me but Allan Campbell and Jimmy Dunne would be incredible signings

Looks good, I think you can add Stone and Wilson to Tait, Denholm and Pollock. There will be a couple of players who train full time with first team but who can still get minutes with B Team.

RustyRightPeg
12 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Shanks has a real chance to embed himself as a first choice for Scotland this summer. If he goes to Saudi or the USA, he puts that in jeopardy. Same applies if he signs for Rangers* and doesn’t play. All depends on what he wants most.

The fact that he lacks pace means he can’t lose it with age, and doesn’t rely on it, so may be effective for longer. Doesn’t mean we’ll get a big bid, of course.

Jack Hendry plays almost every game for Scotland based out of Saudi.

5 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Shanks other half maybe wants to go live somewhere warm!

Buy a jumper and put the heating on :lol: 

25 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I really hope we are in for Josh Knight,would be class alongside Kent.

Just quietly stealing the Peterborough team :P 

No complaints there, well scouted decent players. 

Gorgierools
5 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

7 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Move to Dunbar

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

wouldnt blame her tbh. Scotland pish 

SectionDJambo
44 minutes ago, mud and mullets said:

The OF's reluctance to pay for good home grown talent while splurging millions on random players from abroad always amazes me. 

They don't want to give a rival club a big transfer fee. By rival club, I mean a Scottish club who could nick a cup off them if they spent the money wisely and the stars aligned on a given day that we were drawn against them. 

They want to keep us, and others, down. I think it's one of the reasons that the poor tv deals aren't challenged more by them. They can take the much bigger European money by restricting the ambitions of the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs.

I wouldn't be surprised if both Celtic and Rangers are taking an interest in how we have emerged from being skint to having created a sustainable model for growth of future income.

johnking123
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Buy a jumper and put the heating on :lol: 

That's what would say. But not mention the heating 😄

Batistuta87
12 hours ago, Taffin said:

Those three going will cost an absolute fortune to replace. 

Not if we grab Baccus on a pre-contract from St Mirren 😎

1 hour ago, HopeDiouf said:

My take on these sort of signings is we've just picked up 2M worth of talent for free.  Due to some good forward planning.  More of this please.  Paying a fee for a player should be for emergency situations.  Planning ahead and bringing in the players we'll most likely need for the season(s) ahead for free should be the norm.

The three of them aren’t worth £2m.  Come on now mate they are all players who have gone for free transfers throughout their careers.  Good squad players right enough. 

Just now, Batistuta87 said:

Not if we grab Baccus on a pre-contract from St Mirren 😎

Coventry want him. 

Batistuta87
Just now, May98 said:

Coventry want him. 

They'll get him then. They're loaded. 

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

aye pretty much. 

132goals1958
37 minutes ago, Section Q said:

If he does well in the Euros he'll likely be off. 

Whilst I hope Scotland do well in the Euros it’s equally likely we exit with a whimper. Sorry to be a pessimist but maybe just being realistic. 

Phillips and Armstrong please. If we keep Shankland too we can finish our transfer business 

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

somehow. Were nearly dead a few years ago 

HopeDiouf
8 minutes ago, May98 said:

The three of them aren’t worth £2m.  Come on now mate they are all players who have gone for free transfers throughout their careers.  Good squad players right enough. 

can argue over the value, but my main point is it's good to see us hoover up some of the best talent at the other teams for free, and I'm all for more of this :)

cosanostra
2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Phillips and Armstrong please. If we keep Shankland too we can finish our transfer business 

We still need a right back and probably another striker and centre half.

PhoenixHearts
11 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

I’ll drive him down free of charge.

This phrase is only meant to be used for bad players who are a detriment to the team.

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

They could get a big pay day this summer if Sporting sell Gyokeres in the summer for anything close to the money reported as they have a 15% sell on clause. Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see some Premier League clubs sniffing around Simms.

14 minutes ago, May98 said:

Wont be far away from that figure. How much do you think a in contract Dhanda and Spittal would cost to buy ? 

12 hours ago, gar jambo said:

Not the point mate we would definitely get a decent fee he’s an International 

Being an international doesn't mean you're guaranteed a decent fee. It can help in situations but by no means a certaintly. Lewis Miller is in the Aussie side ffs, Hibs would be lucky to get a couple of grand for that donkey.

Edited by Chimp

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

They could get a big pay day this summer if Sporting sell Gyokeres in the summer for anything close to the money reported as they have a 15% sell on clause. Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see some Premier League clubs sniffing around Simms.

simms has actually really struggled for them until the last few weeks.

I know its probably not popular to say, but I'm not too worried about replacing Beni. Djoum he is not. An absolutely wonderful ball winning midfield, but he offers absolutely zilch going forward, and too often accidently breaks down attacks by being too cautious with who he releases the ball to. When he actually tries to get the ball forward, don't get me wrong - his runs against Hibs, Morton, Motherwell & Ross County all stand out, but he seems extremely reluctant to do that despite being more than capable of it. 

Our biggest problem IMO is the ball getting stuck in midfield, and a common theme is teams letting us have the ball because we cannot penetrate teams effectively. If we can get a more dynamic defensive mid that can offer a bit more in an attacking sense, that I think would be a net win. Devlin obviously has been working on his all round play, and someone like Phillips, Baccus or my favourite pick, Fuchs could be an extremely astute replacement. 

One of those ones where yes, you lose a good player, but have the chance to make the team better overall. 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Wont be far away from that figure. How much do you think a in contract Dhanda and Spittal would cost to buy ? 

I think an average of 400k for each of those players.  £1.2m id say and still very good business 

Batistuta87

So looking at the players we think could be leaving, I've been looking for some potential replacements from the free agent / pre-contract market. Have mentioned some of them before but also found some new ones since: 

Shankland is obviously going to be the most difficult one, but:

Luka Schuler (GER), 25, Currently in 2.Bundesliga but officially his first season in an "A" team having been with Schalke II last season. He has bagged a few goals, not masses, but looks like he has a lot of potential and reminds me of a young Thomas Muller. 

Scott Hogan (IRE), 31, Currently at Birmingham and not looking like he'll get a new deal. Has bags of experience and even at 31 has a good turn of pace. Decent finisher and I think he would slot into our team very well. Reminds me of Connor Washington (but better). 

Liam Cullen (WAL), 24, Would only be possible if Swansea don't fancy keeping him because he'll be on decent money. Good young striker though with a handful of goals in the Championship. 

Jay Rodriguez (ENG), 33, At the end of his career now but still has pace, still gets in about it, and I reckon could do a fantastic job for us for a year. Would be a Snodgrass type signing, as someone who has been on magabucks previously. 

Jamie Vardy (ENG), 37, Imagine 😂

Jamie Maclaren (AUS), 30, Natural goalscorer like Shankland. Has bags of pace, plenty experience, but don't know what sort of money he earns. 

Wendel (BRA), 23, Playing for Porto's B team just now he has a goal every 2 games. Could be an ambitious one but could also pay off massively if Porto don't fancy him any more. Will be on buttons and who doesn't love the idea of signing a Brazilian? 

Devante Cole (ENG), 28, Has done alright for himself since leaving Motherwell. Sitting on a goal every couple of games with Barnsley. I remember him being quick and strong and always causing problems. 

Beni next... 

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

I know its probably not popular to say, but I'm not too worried about replacing Beni. Djoum he is not. An absolutely wonderful ball winning midfield, but he offers absolutely zilch going forward, and too often accidently breaks down attacks by being too cautious with who he releases the ball to. When he actually tries to get the ball forward, don't get me wrong - his runs against Hibs, Morton, Motherwell & Ross County all stand out, but he seems extremely reluctant to do that despite being more than capable of it. 

Our biggest problem IMO is the ball getting stuck in midfield, and a common theme is teams letting us have the ball because we cannot penetrate teams effectively. If we can get a more dynamic defensive mid that can offer a bit more in an attacking sense, that I think would be a net win. Devlin obviously has been working on his all round play, and someone like Phillips, Baccus or my favourite pick, Fuchs could be an extremely astute replacement. 

One of those ones where yes, you lose a good player, but have the chance to make the team better overall. 

That's maybe because he's a defensive midfielder and his job primarily isn't to go forward. He can't do everything. Using those examples of when he did is basically proof that he has a bit of that in his locker.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, HopeDiouf said:

Correct. Shanks doesn’t fit the profile that Clement wants. He wants fast athletic forwards to fit his system and wouldn’t want to change the template to accommodate someone like Shanks.

When he was at Ayr, many people saw him as good at that level but questioned whether or not he could make the step up. I suspect a lot of teams that can afford the asking price now are still asking the same question. At least I’m hoping that’s the case and he’s stuck with us 😁

Threedoorsdown
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Beni is one of the best players in the league. For me it would be a total mixed bag. I think we have reached the stage in which we can replace pretty much anyone outside shanks.

We need to 15-20 goals to the team next season. I think we are probably half way there with the signings we have made so far. Really fancy Dhanda to get 7 or 8 goals next year.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

it’s not that it’s unpopular.  I just think it’s plain wrong.  So many still haven’t spotted that it’s not that Beni offers zero going forward it’s that the space is out wide and not through the middle on account of teams now consistently playing a low block, the way you find that space is by moving the ball around and out sides. when the space in front does presents itself he takes it.   E.g v Morton, v hibs at Easter road.  

too many people expect hearts to be able to play the way we played 20 years ago, and it just is not possible as a result of the way teams now set up.

Djoum not in the same league as Beni

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal