Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

jamboinglasgow

Sounding pretty likely that Shankland will move in the summer. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• OTT

Hansel
15 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

If he is going, I hope we get a good fee, but also hope it's done well before the start of the season so we can find another striker. 

CBA, with a will he/won't he narrative all summer long

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, Hansel said:

If he is going, I hope we get a good fee, but also hope it's done well before the start of the season so we can find another striker. 

CBA, with a will he/won't he narrative all summer long

Yeah I am the same. I want the team set up and used to not having him play before a season starts.

I would also not start him the next two games (had thought this before these latest words as I think he needs a rest) so we can see others get a chance without him.

Watt-Zeefuik

On 05/05/2024 at 15:15, iainmac said:

Never heard of this guy, haven't seen him play but came across his stats on Twitter. 

21 year old CDM with impressive numbers. 

He's an SPFL player named Walker, we need to be signing him!

Hansel
2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah I am the same. I want the team set up and used to not having him play before a season starts.

I would also not start him the next two games (had thought this before these latest words as I think he needs a rest) so we can see others get a chance without him.

Agreed. He's gonna be tough to replace but I'd rather we knew where we stood so we can get used to playing without him. It'll change the whole Dynamic of how we attack next season.

Be good for him to get a rest before the Euros too

GBJambo

Sounds like Shankland wants away then. 
Looks like we need at least 3 new strikers 

Watt-Zeefuik

I still want David Watson but with him being YPOTY and being on a long contract at Killie that's probably out of the question.

Bob Loblaw

While I think it's obvious he'd be open to a move he does also say he's open to discussions about staying. Headline is slightly misleading. 

However, it'd clearly be no surprise at all if he does go. If we get decent cash, and it's not a Glasgow team I'd wish him all the best.

Agree with others as well, if he is to go, I hope its resolved quickly and not a whole saga.

Hansel

Feel like we need a big powerful striker who can bully defenders and a poacher

Walter Bishop

I think we will break our transfer record in the summer. 

Bongo 1874
2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Ipswich.

gregzy2k7

Would be gutted if Shanks is away but can't blame him if a better league/team is sniffing around, as long as we get the money he is worth then reluctantly I would move him on, I would be going for Bair at motherwell if we lose him but feel we need 2 x strikers if he leaves.

RobNox
On 03/05/2024 at 12:21, Agentjambo said:

After Budge stating there would be no new projects and money would go into investing in the first team.

No new major infrastructure projects, i.e. no new stands or hotels.  There will always be some need to invest in the infrastructure, I took it from Budge's comments that the balance would be shifted far more towards the playing side now that we've completed the major infrastructure projects.  The cost of new pitches could well be covered by the additional revenue we bring in from the hotel, so one infrastructure project paying for another.

RobNox
Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2024 at 12:21, Agentjambo said:

After Budge stating there would be no new projects and money would go into investing in the first team.

double post

Edited by RobNox

RobNox
On 03/05/2024 at 13:48, hmfc_liam06 said:

Even signings don’t always have to be first 11. Bruce Anderson as an example might be the sort that’s happy playing second fiddle to Shankland and be happy at 10-15 appearances over a season. If we keep Shanks then we’re not spending a fortune on his backup.

Decent point.  Remember we signed Zander as basically back up to Craigie.  He was happy to make the step up from St Johnstone to Hearts knowing he'd be number 2, despite having been capped for Scotland.  And it's not as if it was an outfield position, where you can rotate players from game to game, or bring a player off the bench after an hour or so.  If you're number 2 goalie, you'll spend most of the season on the bench unless number 1 gets injured or suspended.

You would like to think that by now the club will have a good understanding of the situation and will have already commenced the search for a couple of potential new strikers  

DxB Hearts
5 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Obviously not great reading but not sure that's anything we haven't heard before.

What I do take from that is his be-all-and-end-all isn't going to the Rangers, because that certainly isn't him looking to see if he can make a step up in terms of leagues and levels.

Honestly think whether he will be here or not next year will all come down to the Euros - bag a goal or two and play well and someone on the continent or a top-end championship team will come sniffing and be happy to throw a few mil at us.

He's definitely gone end of next year though. 

RobNox
On 04/05/2024 at 21:23, Aussie Jambo said:

Who should we really drop in summer?

Two loan players ✔️

Rowles, Devlin & Atkinson✔️

(hate to say it being Aussie Jambo but they’ve not really done much the last few seasons to merit staying and in my opinion give the ball away too easy)

Grant  Boyce✔️

Tagawa Sibbick Haring✔️ 

Has Halliday actually signed for Motherwell yet? 

What with the apparent gossip Beni, Shanks & Cochrane possibly leaving. Now according to new gossip Zander which I think is shite. He won’t leave hearts and he’s definitely not going to smeltic. 

That’s over a full team bar a goalie. 

But where are we going to find replacements? We have three coming in (Dhanda Spittal & Penrice) but that’s all that we know of. 

It's only over a full team bar a goalie based on your opinion of who we should drop.  I suspect our manager won't be dropping anything like that amount of players.  

cosanostra

He's clearly not going to sign a new deal. Either we accept a bid for him the summer or January or he leaves next summer, most likely to the Huns.

I'm curious why he was only given a 3yr deal if we paid a decent fee for him. You'd think either 4 years or an option for a further year would have been an idea.

Hard to be critical when we don't know all the facts I guess.

Jean Louis Valois

I love Shanks, he has been excellent for us the last 2 years and a well deserved winner of the player of the year. But I'd be very surprised if a club playing in the English premiership come in for him, if that's what he is hoping for. That's a whole new level that is based on fitness and pace, Also I don't think Clement fancies him for Rangers. Hoping he signs a new deal with us.

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, cosanostra said:

He's clearly not going to sign a new deal. Either we accept a bid for him the summer or January or he leaves next summer, most likely to the Huns.

I'm curious why he was only given a 3yr deal if we paid a decent fee for him. You'd think either 4 years or an option for a further year would have been an idea.

I this was his plan all along, to secure one last big deal.  From his perspective I think it would be a brave move to sit out the next year. Anything could happen.  

If no one makes a reasonable bid in the summer the sensible things for all parties would be another deal with a buy out clause. 

Tommy Brown
9 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

He's an SPFL player named Walker, we need to be signing him!

??

5 hours ago, cosanostra said:

3 years is an absolute bin fire of a contract situation. First year is fine, but then as soon as you're into the 2nd year everyones getting twitchy. 

Given we paid a fee, we should have included either a 4 year deal, or an option to extend (in the clubs favour). Poor decision, also excellent decision to bring him here regardless. 

Key now is making sure if we do cash in we invest wisely in a quality striker. Or keep adding zeros until he signs!! :lol: 

Batistuta87

Madness that there's folk actively wanting rid of Devlin 🤯

Lord Beni of Gorgie

At least he isnt heading to Glasgow, if its the Premier, suspect he will be back out on loan by January, I'd bet the house he will struggle, but it will be a rich struggle, and I dont hold that against anyone

johnking123
1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

In know, he needs a new contract!

Absolute Scenes
4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

It’s the folk who watch games with their eyes closed

Ray Gin
5 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Maybe he only wanted a 3 year deal?

cosanostra
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Maybe he only wanted a 3 year deal?

Could be. He was desperate to get out of Belgium by all accounts and we were the only club who seemed to want him so I'm surprised we settled on 3 and not 4 or 3 with an option.

Batistuta87
11 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

In know, he needs a new contract!

Into his last year next season. I'd be getting him tied down if he's keen (which I would assume he is). 

9 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

It’s the folk who watch games with their eyes closed

🤣 👍

Batistuta87
28 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

At least he isnt heading to Glasgow, if its the Premier, suspect he will be back out on loan by January, I'd bet the house he will struggle, but it will be a rich struggle, and I dont hold that against anyone

The thing that's actually annoying me a wee bit about his interview is that he was saying he hasn't tested himself at a level where he's struggled and had to take a step back - but the way I see it that's exactly how things played out when he went abroad. He talks about being played out of position and stuff but ultimately, whatever way you look at it, he failed to make an impact in Belgium and came back to Scotland. On that basis, any clubs at a similar or higher level than the Belgian league I think will be highly cautious of taking a risk on him for the amount of money we would want - which even in his last year should be about £3-4M. So I don't think he'll be going to Europe, and I definitely don't think he'll be going to the Premier League. Championship would be my bet - but I also reckon he would be absolute dynamite in the MLS and could also make really good money and live a nice lifestyle for a few years. 

18 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

The thing that's actually annoying me a wee bit about his interview is that he was saying he hasn't tested himself at a level where he's struggled and had to take a step back - but the way I see it that's exactly how things played out when he went abroad. He talks about being played out of position and stuff but ultimately, whatever way you look at it, he failed to make an impact in Belgium and came back to Scotland. On that basis, any clubs at a similar or higher level than the Belgian league I think will be highly cautious of taking a risk on him for the amount of money we would want - which even in his last year should be about £3-4M. So I don't think he'll be going to Europe, and I definitely don't think he'll be going to the Premier League. Championship would be my bet - but I also reckon he would be absolute dynamite in the MLS and could also make really good money and live a nice lifestyle for a few years. 

Imagine if he went to Miami and was getting service from Messi...

JimmyCant
11 hours ago, Hansel said:

Agreed. He's gonna be tough to replace but I'd rather we knew where we stood so we can get used to playing without him. It'll change the whole Dynamic of how we attack next season.

Be good for him to get a rest before the Euros too

We’ll probably have to put an early deadline on this so that we know what we have before the season starts. Doubt he’s going to want to talk before  the Euros because that tournament could earn him a better move. Once that’s done we’ve got about a 4 week window to tie him up or sell him or just tell him he’s missed the boat and needs to stay. We can’t be messing about here letting him go for a decent bid in mid August with nothing dine and dusted to replace him. We can’t replace him goal for goal so that means 2 new strikers. That just can’t be done effectively without the time to get it done.

Shankland may well have this idea if what he means by ‘higher level’ Given he probably hasn’t got the pace and fitness level for the EPL, that says championship to me. Rangers might also be his idea of a higher level. Certainly more money, more chance of a trophy, more intense level in the same league but at the end of the day, it’s a pure financial move. Can’t blame him for that as he’s only got one chance left for a big contract.

I think we’ll take a view that we’ll put our maximum on the table early doors, and we’ll have a sum in mind that we need to release him. I’d rather hold him to contract if we’re not getting true value for him (around £2.5m to £3m IMO)

JimmyCant
30 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I’m sure he said on Open Goal that he was playing RWB in Belgium. That’s just ridiculous if it’s true 

TheBigO
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

People are morons.  They decide a thing and that's that.  If the stats can't change their mind, you'd like to think what they actually see on the pitch would, but nope, not doable.

Cammy is a cracking player and I'd love him at Hearts for as long as he wants to be here.

Batistuta87
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’m sure he said on Open Goal that he was playing RWB in Belgium. That’s just ridiculous if it’s true 

He did - but why was he there and not up front? Was their other striker showing more and therefore keeping him from playing there? He's played deeper for us a few times - has it came from that? Who knows. But he still flopped and had to take a step back - so he's contradicted himself. 

Bazzas right boot
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

I think we will break our transfer record in the summer. 

I'd really loke us to buy Armstrong and the guys from Dundee, proper statement.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

TheBigO
Just now, Batistuta87 said:

He did - but why was he there and not up front? Was their other striker showing more and therefore keeping him from playing there? He's played deeper for us a few times - has it came from that? Who knows. But he still flopped and had to take a step back - so he's contradicted himself. 

Get what you're saying Bati, but he also "flopped" as a youngster, fell out the fulltime game, regrouped and he's now going to the Euros.  So he's had setbacks and he's worked through them.  So while I know it's maybe inaccurate for him to say he's never struggled at a level, I think overall he's saying he simply wants to get to the highest level he can.  That's all.  And I don't mind that.  All players should be the same, really.  And it's the clubs job to make sure we also win out of that (however that looks).

And I'm not sure on this, but perhaps he didn't feel he flopped in Belgium, maybe his club were shit, maybe the manager was a fool.  I doubt Naisy feels he flopped at Norwich, given the career he had elsewhere.

Can Shanks play at a higher level?  I don't know.  He'd need to have the right team around him to play to his strengths and how likely is that?  He's looked good for Scotland tbf.  But I find it hard to begrudge him a go as long as we're looked after.

TheBigO
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I'd really loke us to buy Armstrong and the guys from Dundee, proper statement.

Yup, me too.  Fantasy stuff probably (pretty boring fantasy mind you - I might through Jennifer Lawrence into the mix somewhere), but imagine we went out and spent £1.5m or whatever on those 3.  Boom!

Bazzas right boot
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

I don't want rid, bit I think he's easily replaced,  there are lots of better midfielders out there and with Hoff we have a ball winner who has composure, is more assured and developing at a faster rate.

If Hoff was fit Cammy would have hardly played for us this season,  and when he comes back he'll be dropped again. 

Cammy won't replace Beni, he's not good enough. Or if he does, our midfield is weaker for it.

Naismith seems to be thinking that way as well, he seen Devlin as back up who has to improve his game- quite a bit.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yup, me too.  Fantasy stuff probably (pretty boring fantasy mind you - I might through Jennifer Lawrence into the mix somewhere), but imagine we went out and spent £1.5m or whatever on those 3.  Boom!

Wee J is busy, she will not be thrown into any mix!

TheBigO
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Wee J is busy, she will not be thrown into any mix!

Ok, I'll go for her dad, Alan instead then.  Nipper will do me fine!

Jim Panzee
1 hour ago, OTT said:

3 years is an absolute bin fire of a contract situation. First year is fine, but then as soon as you're into the 2nd year everyones getting twitchy. 

Given we paid a fee, we should have included either a 4 year deal, or an option to extend (in the clubs favour). Poor decision, also excellent decision to bring him here regardless. 

Key now is making sure if we do cash in we invest wisely in a quality striker. Or keep adding zeros until he signs!! :lol: 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Was a bit of a gamble signing him - if he carried on with his goals & assist in Belgium (and even worsened) we'd have been stuck with an underperforming player for four years.

remember Loic Damour - on paper - appeared quite an attractive proposition and it felt like a lifetime waiting for him to move on.

Chimp
12 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

People are morons.  They decide a thing and that's that.  If the stats can't change their mind, you'd like to think what they actually see on the pitch would, but nope, not doable.

Cammy is a cracking player and I'd love him at Hearts for as long as he wants to be here.

I don't think it's moronic to think we can do better than him. He's only playing because Hof is out injured. He's obviously viewed as a squad player and I'm fine with that but "cracking" is a bit of an exaggeration. He can do a job, but there are far better players out there we could be attracting.

If he's not better than Beni or Hof then why is it so unbelievable or hard to accept that some of us don't rate him at the same levels his big admirers do?

TheBigO
Just now, Chimp said:

I don't think it's moronic to think we can do better than him. He's only playing because Hof is out injured. He's obviously viewed as a squad player and I'm fine with that but "cracking" is a bit of an exaggeration. He can do a job, but there are far better players out there we could be attracting.

If he's not better than Beni or Hof then why is it so unbelievable or hard to accept that some of us don't rate him at the same levels his big admirers do?

But it's not that simple mate.  "Better than".  They all do different jobs.

Someone made the point and it was worded brilliantly that to improve you don't throw out all your solid performers and try to replace them.  You bring in quality where you can and hopefully those solid starters (which is the camp I have Cam in when all fit) become solid squad players.  And you keep that cycle going.

Look if Cam left, the world would keep turning, but there have been calls that he SHOULD go and that's what I think is moronic.  The idea we can't do better is just as daft of course, but do you get my distinction?

Have we had and can we get a better CH than Frankie Kent??  Of course we have and can.  Should we be clambering to have him out the door!??!?!  What's the difference?

I think the crux with Cammy is some people have very simply decided the lad can't "play football".  It's a completely nonsensical assessment of the lad but you see it over and over.  To build a good team with our budget, it's about piecing together skillsets to make one great whole thing.  Use Cammy well and he can be a massive asset it maroon. (And he's a lad always looking to improve as well which I love.)

3 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Was a bit of a gamble signing him - if he carried on with his goals & assist in Belgium (and even worsened) we'd have been stuck with an underperforming player for four years.

remember Loic Damour - on paper - appeared quite an attractive proposition and it felt like a lifetime waiting for him to move on.

Its not really hindsight though is it? He'd done excellently in the Championship, and despite being in a woeful Dundee Utd team under Mellon that was hyper defensive in the extreme he still scored 1 in 3. Sure, the extent to which he's succeeded here has been unexpected, but I don't think there was anyone that expected him to flop. 

In fact, we should have been looking for a contract extension after 6 months. It was pretty evident what we had early on, and being aggressive and proactive in securing a new contract would have been nice. 

No point going over it, its done now. But the takeaway for me is that we need to be more aggressive when we realise we've signed a hell of a good player. Even tacking on a years extension after 6 months is good business. Time and time again we're always about 12 months late. Devlin is the next one that should be extended before kicking a ball next season. 

Gundermann
12 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Sounds like Shankland wants away then. 
Looks like we need at least 3 new strikers 

I'm sure Vargas, Oda and Tagawa can step in....  :whistling:

TheBigO
3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Its not really hindsight though is it? He'd done excellently in the Championship, and despite being in a woeful Dundee Utd team under Mellon that was hyper defensive in the extreme he still scored 1 in 3. Sure, the extent to which he's succeeded here has been unexpected, but I don't think there was anyone that expected him to flop. 

In fact, we should have been looking for a contract extension after 6 months. It was pretty evident what we had early on, and being aggressive and proactive in securing a new contract would have been nice. 

No point going over it, its done now. But the takeaway for me is that we need to be more aggressive when we realise we've signed a hell of a good player. Even tacking on a years extension after 6 months is good business. Time and time again we're always about 12 months late. Devlin is the next one that should be extended before kicking a ball next season. 

guess we don't know we didn't.  I mean, look at what we did with Rowles and to a lesser extent cos it was a loan conversion, Vargas too in the length we've tied down.  

I think the club are doing best to protect ourselves longer terms when we think we have a player on our hands.  We simply don't know what the conversations have been, do we.

With that in mind, I'd be looking at Oda (2026) and maybe already Newy (2027) at some point next season.   Be interesting to find out lengths of contract on the likes of Dhanda too (have a great feeling about Yan).

6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Someone made the point and it was worded brilliantly that to improve you don't throw out all your solid performers and try to replace them.  You bring in quality where you can and hopefully those solid starters (which is the camp I have Cam in when all fit) become solid squad players.  And you keep that cycle going.

Look if Cam left, the world would keep turning, but there have been calls that he SHOULD go and that's what I think is moronic.  The idea we can't do better is just as daft of course, but do you get my distinction?

Have we had and can we get a better CH than Frankie Kent??  Of course we have and can.  Should we be clambering to have him out the door!??!?!  What's the difference?

I think the crux with Cammy is some people have very simply decided the lad can't "play football".  It's a completely nonsensical assessment of the lad but you see it over and over.  To build a good team with our budget, it's about piecing together skillsets to make one great whole thing.  Use Cammy well and he can be a massive asset it maroon. (And he's a lad always looking to improve as well which I love.)

I really like Cammy, but 12 months ago he wasn't a very competent footballer. He played like he was wearing Christophe Berras boots (passing like he's wearing bricks for feet) - always backwards and never trying anything risky. Coupled with nose bleeds whenever he got too far up the pitch.

But full credit to him, he's becoming a much more well rounded midfielder that is even more engaging to watch. His workrate has always been 2nd to none, but he's now able to contribute in the final 3rd with those deep runs he was doing against Killie, and obviously against Celtic he forced a very solid save from Hart. 

Players can improve, and I agree - folk that have decided that Devlin is a huddy and can't play are being silly. 

I also wonder if over the last couple of years if his footballing knowledge has improved - tactical understanding and so forth. I don't mean to be dismissive of Aussie football, because Scottish football isn't much better but one of the things Scottish players note in Italy is how much more tactical the game is over there. I wonder if in the same vein, Cammys benefited from coaches with much more tactical knowldge they can impart ? 

Chimp
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

I think with a few additions in the summer he might fall further down the pecking order though. We are a weaker side when Beni or Hof don't play and Devlin comes in to replace one of them. I wouldn't say I'd actively try and force him out the door but I'd certainly entertain an offer if someone were to come in for him, or someone better became available to us.

The Kent comparison isn't the same. Kent performs at a very good level for us and is one of our best players and would be hard to replace, Devlin wouldn't. It's quite hard to find CB's who are proper ball winners and leaders at the back who perform so consistently.

Hof is the best example, we got him in the summer for buttons from Oz too and he's already made more of an impact and a much better all round player. If another player of a similar mould became available to us then I'd absolutely look at bringing them in to upgrade. That's normally how it works.

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal