Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Sounds like your humble opinion rather than fact.  Is that right?

Jimmy summed it up for me. 

I'll flip it, why are you so convinced Clark's leaving?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

JimmyCant
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Sounds like your humble opinion rather than fact.  Is that right?

Just about everything I’ve ever posted on here is my humble opinion. For the facts on Clark leaving you’d have to ask Clark Naismith or Savage. What’s your humble opinion on Clark staying or leaving ?

Anyway, most of what I said was factual 

Edited by JimmyCant

Batistuta87
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, iainmac said:

Never heard of this guy, haven't seen him play but came across his stats on Twitter. 

21 year old CDM with impressive numbers. 

I have heard of him, as he's a distant relative! :D 

Only really watched him against us and I think the other game I watched of theirs was maybe Dundee Utd? Can't say he stood out but those are some unreal stats so he's got to be worth a look. 

Edited by Batistuta87

FarmerTweedy
29 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

It still shows that SN was unwilling to go with one goalie plus a rookie which might be the case if Clark leaves.

Yes, which is why I said I suspect we'll bring in another experienced keeper if Clark leaves!

What I would say is that I think the level of keeper we'd bring in (if Clark does leave) would probably tell us a lot about how Stone is now rated within the club.  I'd say he's at the age now where he has to be considered ready to play in our first team if called upon, or he's never going to be.  And I don't necessarily mean he should be able to establish himself as first choice ahead of Gordon, but he needs to be seen as ready to be played if Gordon gets injured, suspended, or just has a shocker of a form slump.  If we were to sign another McGovern type, i.e. very experienced but clearly a backup with absolutely no chance of actually pushing to be first choice, I'd say it'd tell us that Stone is still highly rated and will at least be 2nd keeper to Gordon and hopefully push him for 1st choice.  If, however, we sign another Clark level keeper, that's obviously coming in to be, or challenge for, 1st choice, I'd say that indicates that Stone is no longer seen as likely to reach the level we need, in which case he may well move on permanently. 

Daveandal

The Zander Clarke chat sums up why threads like this can become crazy.

At this moment in time I'd be amazed if Hearts or Clarke were wanting a move.

However say an English Championship club offers £3.5m in the summer.... he'll be off.

That doesn't mean the people who are saying he'll be off were correct its just the situation has changed.

RustyRightPeg

Harrison Burrows would be a like for like replacement for Cochrane. Can also fill in, in midfield.

kingantti1874
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We can compete much better locally now (which is why we’re attracting good players from our own league) but we’re blown out the water if any club from the top 3 leagues in England take an interest 

yeah agree to an extent Jimmy , but we need to consider that the talent available locally isn’t what it was.  Most of the talent is snaffled up well before they feature in the SPFL or lower leagues.  Marc Leonard is a great example, every team in Scotland has been stripped of talent to some extent

if Davie Weir, Neil McCann or Colin Cameron we’re breaking through today they’d already be in England.  If course there are exception Players that good simply wouldn’t be at Raith, Dundee or Falkirk for us to sign. 

we can compete better, for a lower quality of player.

Edited by kingantti1874

JimmyCant
13 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

However say an English Championship club offers £3.5m in the summer.... he'll be off.

That doesn't mean the people who are saying he'll be off were correct its just the situation has changed.

Fair point, but we’ve a couple of players you just wouldn’t sell under any circumstances UNLESS we had a replacement ready on a done deal. Clark, Shankland, Kent, maybe a couple of others

FarmerTweedy
49 minutes ago, Rods said:

Maybe I am just dreaming but I feel we have 05 vlad level windows coming in the near future ( Skacel, Bednars etc)

Well we ain't going to be signing (recent) Champions League and European Championships winning players, that's for sure!  Some of these guys were reportedly on around £8k per week, which adjusted for football wage inflation since then probably equates to around £20-25k per week these days. Gordon was widely reported to have been given a £12k per week basic with scope for another £6k in bonuses!  We won't be going anywhere near the equivalent wages now.  Having said that, I do think we'll see at least one or two signings each year from now on that are at a level where we can be genuinely confident that they're likely to prove to be among the best players in the squad, rather than just guys that at best are likely to bring weaker areas of the squad up to the level the other areas are already at.

FarmerTweedy
48 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

ha ha . Admire the optimism but   I’m a negative nel re Scottish football mate..

I think our competitive spending power is massively reduced despite ourselves being wealthier than we’ve ever been.  Football inflation has got away from us

God only knows what a peak McCann, Cameron or Davie Weir would cost. 

The thing is, I don't think we really signed them at their peaks, I think we managed to get them at a point where they'd shown a lot of potential, but I don't think they peaked until they were with us (or maybe after).  I think we're probably now in a position financially where we could go for at least one or two of that sort of calibre player at that stage of their careers again.

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, Daveandal said:

The chat is that celtic have decided they want him with Hart retiring. To be honest, I'd be very surprised if there's any truth in them being interested, but if they were after him, I'd also be very surprised if he didn't want to go to them, and I'd also be surprised if we weren't willing to accept a substantial offer.  I don't actually think Clark is particularly great, I think he's a good keeper by Scottish football standards but not outstanding, and I don't think it would be all that difficult to find someone else at a similar level.  He's definitely nowhere near the calibre of a younger CG, Antti Niemi, or even Marian Kello IMO.  I actually think if we really want to progress as a team, we need to be looking to try to get a better keeper than Clark anyway, whether we sign one or if Stone or McFarlane are capable of developing to that standard relatively soon.

JamboAl
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Jimmy summed it up for me. 

I'll flip it, why are you so convinced Clark's leaving?

I'm not convinced - because I didn't say he was leaving.

I said IF he leaves which was in the follow-up to a poster suggesting Celtic might be interested, given that Hart is retiring.

Can Jimmy now sum why you and he are so definite he is staying.  Is this a fact or merely your humble opinion being presented as such?  Let's assume Celtic came in with a crazy offer, are you still adamant he will be staying?

Valois No1

Clark is ok at a certain level but he is never the the level the old firm are looking at ffs. 

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

The chat is that celtic have decided they want him with Hart retiring. To be honest, I'd be very surprised if there's any truth in them being interested, but if they were after him, I'd also be very surprised if he didn't want to go to them, and I'd also be surprised if we weren't willing to accept a substantial offer.  I don't actually think Clark is particularly great, I think he's a good keeper by Scottish football standards but not outstanding, and I don't think it would be all that difficult to find someone else at a similar level.  He's definitely nowhere near the calibre of a younger CG, Antti Niemi, or even Marian Kello IMO.  I actually think if we really want to progress as a team, we need to be looking to try to get a better keeper than Clark anyway, whether we sign one or if Stone or McFarlane are capable of developing to that standard relatively soon.

Spot on

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

Clark is ok at a certain level but he is never the the level the old firm are looking at ffs. 

Exactly, snap their hand off for £1m. 

RustyRightPeg
17 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I'm not convinced - because I didn't say he was leaving.

I said IF he leaves which was in the follow-up to a poster suggesting Celtic might be interested, given that Hart is retiring.

Can Jimmy now sum why you and he are so definite he is staying.  Is this a fact or merely your humble opinion being presented as such?  Let's assume Celtic came in with a crazy offer, are you still adamant he will be staying?

Because he's been one of our better players this year. Our improvement defensively has had a lot to do with him and a settled defence in front of him. I don't think we'll be entertaining offers for him, unless something ludicrous comes our way, which I don't think it will. 

Clark isn't Scott Bain, he's better and won't waste his prime years sitting on a bench. 

What's this humble opinion pish?

JamboAl
4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Because he's been one of our better players this year. Our improvement defensively has had a lot to do with him and a settled defence in front of him. I don't think we'll be entertaining offers for him, unless something ludicrous comes our way, which I don't think it will. 

Clark isn't Scott Bain, he's better and won't waste his prime years sitting on a bench. 

What's this humble opinion pish?

Firstly where did I say it was pish?

The rest of your diatribe confirms that you don't actually know whether he is staying or not - you just THINK something might/might not happen.  It's a pity you hadn't used the word THINK earlier instead of saying he's not going which seemed so definite.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think folk are bored already, and I dont blame them, this season has been pretty smooth since December, a couple of disheartening defeats to the OF whilst gently meandering to third under little pressure is causing minds to become agitated.

I look forward to all manner of pish over the next 12 weeks, whilst management calmly wander down the path they have done for 12 months now.

RustyRightPeg
7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Firstly where did I say it was pish?

The rest of your diatribe confirms that you don't actually know whether he is staying or not - you just THINK something might/might not happen.  It's a pity you hadn't used the word THINK earlier instead of saying he's not going which seemed so definite.

You keep saying humble opinion, why? It's patronizing as feck.

If only I had as much time to sit and pick up on everyone's punctuality and sentence construction as you. Happy bank holiday - sooner you're back at work the better.

If I was a betting man, I'd be very comfortable wagering Clark is our #1 come August.

jamboinglasgow
3 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I suspected the same a couple of seasons ago and unfortunately it never came to pass. (Obviously in hindsight Shankland has been a excellent signing that was made that window, but we never really made any proper statement signings that window)

I’d love to have a signing that we don’t just hope will elevate us, but that looks like they would before they even put on the strip. We need to start investing in quality to take us to the next level this window, but to save myself disappointment I’m going to assume it will be a slow and steady window like a couple of years ago. Solidifying and securing 3rd again I imagine.

Yeah I am not expecting big signings like I was two seasons ago as I felt badly burned by that window (I thought we signed good players on the whole but it was not the next level player I thought we were going to sign, as you say Shankland is a bit different, at least in perspective at the time.)

I am more just talking rumours which get you excited (even if you know they wont happen.)

Carter
51 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

I'd be incredibly surprised if either of them were interested in ZC. 

JamboAl
15 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

You keep saying humble opinion, why? It's patronizing as feck.

If only I had as much time to sit and pick up on everyone's punctuality and sentence construction as you. Happy bank holiday - sooner you're back at work the better.

If I was a betting man, I'd be very comfortable wagering Clark is our #1 come August.

Oh dear.  It's not your punctuality (punctuation?) or sentence construction at issue, it's that you were so definite Clark was staying and I have never claimed otherwise.  I was merely following up on a scenario put forward by another poster that Celtic might be interested since Hart is retiring.

As regards your last sentence what difference does it make if you're comfortable or not?   You're getting your knickers in a twist for nothing.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Other teams may be looking at Clark the same way we did originally

jamboinglasgow
19 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I think folk are bored already, and I dont blame them, this season has been pretty smooth since December, a couple of disheartening defeats to the OF whilst gently meandering to third under little pressure is causing minds to become agitated.

I look forward to all manner of pish over the next 12 weeks, whilst management calmly wander down the path they have done for 12 months now.

I know what you are saying, 2024 on the whole has been us on track to get third with little risk of us not getting it, so not quite as panicked from fans so get bored.

but I do think this summer is going to be different from last summer in regards to bordem on the fact that we have signed 3 players already who on the whole show a reason to be excited about and see change happening. So there is not as much boredom as you can already start thinking about how we will be in next season.

Last summer there was a real grind, it took over a week and half from the last game to announce the new manager (though looking at that I thought it took a lot longer.) Our recruitment took a long time relatively to others who were snapping players up and our signing was 21st of July (we were first linked with Nieuwenhof on the 16th July.)  That was a summer with nothing on, people worried about the new manager and the direction we were in after the previous seasons collapse.

This summer people will still be wanting to know all the time who is coming in, though I think the Euros will help stem the boredom a bit. That and having a bit more faith in the recruitment team this summer than last sumer.

Hectormasson
1 hour ago, Valois No1 said:

ditto...

BackOfTheNet
42 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah I am not expecting big signings like I was two seasons ago as I felt badly burned by that window (I thought we signed good players on the whole but it was not the next level player I thought we were going to sign, as you say Shankland is a bit different, at least in perspective at the time.)

I am more just talking rumours which get you excited (even if you know they wont happen.)

I’ll take left field signings like Vargas and Tagawa any day of the week. Okay Tagawa hasn’t shown (yet) what he can do, but Vargas has worked out. And if we was Scottish and playing for Motherwell we’d be priced out of a move.

Foreign signings get way too much snobbery from some for me, written off as projects or somehow less professional or hardworking as Scottish or English players, but if we’re going to get next level quality at a price we can afford, that’s the route we’ll need to go down.

Hansel
48 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’ll take left field signings like Vargas and Tagawa any day of the week. Okay Tagawa hasn’t shown (yet) what he can do, but Vargas has worked out. And if we was Scottish and playing for Motherwell we’d be priced out of a move.

Foreign signings get way too much snobbery from some for me, written off as projects or somehow less professional or hardworking as Scottish or English players, but if we’re going to get next level quality at a price we can afford, that’s the route we’ll need to go down.

Think for some, including me, foreign signings (and by foreign, i mean from somewhere the culture is vastly different) can take longer to settle into Scottish football and our culture. Where as the PCA signings we've made, theoretically, should have a better chance of hitting the ground running. 

Quite happy if we sign another Japanese/Cuban (or wherever) player if they are top quality, but reckon it would be risky to sign too many in case they don't settle in. 

It's all about getting the balance right.

jamboinglasgow
17 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Think for some, including me, foreign signings (and by foreign, i mean from somewhere the culture is vastly different) can take longer to settle into Scottish football and our culture. Where as the PCA signings we've made, theoretically, should have a better chance of hitting the ground running. 

Quite happy if we sign another Japanese/Cuban (or wherever) player if they are top quality, but reckon it would be risky to sign too many in case they don't settle in. 

It does require balance. Something I think we are doing now as three signings so far are established Premiership players.

However we should not rule out foreign signings who make take slightly longer to adapt if they can be big players for us. Nieuwenhof is an example of that. 

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Yup, there is something I like about foreign signings who can feel quite left field and unknown. As I say you need the balance right of where players come from but I do think people shouldn't shy away from foreign signings because they might not hit the ground running.

Daveandal

Every signing is a risk.

Players from England are often caught out by the speed of the game here. Domestic signings from Scotland can be overwhelmed by the size of the club and the demands of the support.

Its 2024 not 1984 I think the cultural difference thing is used to much. Its Edinburgh, a very international city by any standard's. We're not asking people from Rio De Janiero to move to the Shetland Islands.

sirwalter
3 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

Every signing is a risk.

Players from England are often caught out by the speed of the game here. Domestic signings from Scotland can be overwhelmed by the size of the club and the demands of the support.

Its 2024 not 1984 I think the cultural difference thing is used to much. Its Edinburgh, a very international city by any standard's. We're not asking people from Rio De Janiero to move to the Shetland Islands.

Actually there's a wonderful and touching account to be found concerning some Brazilians who went to play in the Faroes once upon a time..!

Ricardo Quaresma
7 hours ago, OTT said:

As would I. At our level we cannot afford a team of 11 rockstars. We need to have players that are reliable if unspectacular that know their role, limitations and what they do well. 

I would take a basic and uninteresting defence if it meant we could spend a bit more to get in quality attacking talent - since we have a limited pool of money to spend. 

This is the thing some peeps are not getting

BackOfTheNet
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hansel said:

It makes sense that foreign signings would take longer to settle than domestic based, we’ve seen that with Oda, Vargas and Nieuwenhof who many on here had written off early. But the thing is, if all those players were playing for teams lower than us in the league and were Scottish we wouldn’t have a chance at getting them as we’d be priced out of the running by English Championship and League One sides.

We’ve already tied up 3 domestic based players and will have one returning from loan likely to feature next season, plus youth players knocking on the door. So we’ve got plenty of room for players based abroad to come over and acclimatise. And if we splash the cash a bit we can get players whose talent alone will help them hit the ground running, as there will be regions with talent like that which is affordable for us where domestically it isn’t.

39 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

It does require balance. Something I think we are doing now as three signings so far are established Premiership players.

However we should not rule out foreign signings who make take slightly longer to adapt if they can be big players for us. Nieuwenhof is an example of that. 

Yup, there is something I like about foreign signings who can feel quite left field and unknown. As I say you need the balance right of where players come from but I do think people shouldn't shy away from foreign signings because they might not hit the ground running.

It’s all about value for money. Aberdeen got Miovski for about the same we got Shankland. Neither of us would be able to get a player of a similar standard domestically for even twice what we paid. (Shankland went to Belgium for around £1 million, how much do you think United would have wanted to sell him to a domestic rival? We got him for

what we did because he himself took a while to acclimatise in Belgium and we signed him from there)

Edited by BackOfTheNet

7 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It makes sense that foreign signings would take longer to settle than domestic based, we’ve seen that with Oda, Vargas and Nieuwenhof who many on here had written off early. But the thing is, if all those players were playing for teams lower than us in the league and were Scottish we wouldn’t have a chance at getting them as we’d be priced out of the running by English Championship and League One sides.

We’ve already tied up 3 domestic based players and will have one returning from loan likely to feature next season, plus youth players knocking on the door. So we’ve got plenty of room for players based abroad to come over and acclimatise. And if we splash the cash a bit we can get players whose talent alone will help them hit the ground running, as there will be regions with talent like that which is affordable for us where domestically it isn’t.

It’s all about value for money. Aberdeen got Miovski for about the same we got Shankland. Neither of us would be able to get a player of a similar standard domestically for even twice what we paid. (Shankland went to Belgium for around £1 million, how much do you think United would have wanted to sell him to a domestic rival? We got him for

what we did because he himself took a while to acclimatise in Belgium and we signed him from there)

Aberdeen lucked out on Miovski.

They weren't looking at him - they were watching Ramadani (at the same club). When watching Ramadani, they also saw Miovski and managed to basically arrange a "twofor" - getting the guy they really wanted, but throwing Miovski in as part of the deal

Sub4TiddlerMurray
5 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

yeah agree to an extent Jimmy , but we need to consider that the talent available locally isn’t what it was.  Most of the talent is snaffled up well before they feature in the SPFL or lower leagues.  Marc Leonard is a great example, every team in Scotland has been stripped of talent to some extent

if Davie Weir, Neil McCann or Colin Cameron we’re breaking through today they’d already be in England.  If course there are exception Players that good simply wouldn’t be at Raith, Dundee or Falkirk for us to sign. 

we can compete better, for a lower quality of player.

I know it’s probably been done to death but one of the ‘joys’ of Brexit is that UK clubs can’t sign 16-18 year olds from across the channel. Meaning that English clubs are now hoovering up more young Scottish talent than previously. 

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, BRY said:

They weren't looking at him - they were watching Ramadani (at the same club). When watching Ramadani, they also saw Miovski and managed to basically arrange a "twofor" - getting the guy they really wanted, but throwing Miovski in as part of the deal

Lucky *******s, Ramadani was pish and ****knows how they got decent money from an Italian club for him 🤦🏽?!?!
But there is obviously decent players from that area that we might be better looking at than other places. 

ShedBoy
29 minutes ago, BRY said:

That’s how we signed Zico from nitten star. I’m sure we were looking at their no.9. 

Ended up with their RB.

A brilliant piece of business regardless.

Ricardo Quaresma
5 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

The thing is, I don't think we really signed them at their peaks, I think we managed to get them at a point where they'd shown a lot of potential, but I don't think they peaked until they were with us (or maybe after).  I think we're probably now in a position financially where we could go for at least one or two of that sort of calibre player at that stage of their careers again.

I think that's still true, but definitely harder; our team is the biggest draw outside OF at the moment for young Scottish talent that doesn't get drafted into an english youth team early doors

BackOfTheNet
43 minutes ago, BRY said:

I’m not bigging up Aberdeen’s scouting system (although Ramadani was also good and has been good in Serie A), the point is what sort of talent you can get in certain countries and for what value compared to what we’d have to pay for an in contract domestic player of the same level.

Ricardo Quaresma
4 hours ago, Valois No1 said:

He's Scottish and better than bain, so maybe they want the best Scottish 'keeper that would sign for them

Valois No1
1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

He's Scottish and better than bain, so maybe they want the best Scottish 'keeper that would sign for them

Yeah perhaps. If they were signing him for a no2 then maybe but he’s not a no1 for either of the old firm. I think he is steady and a decent keeper but he’s not even as good as Jon Mclaughlan imo. You may be right tho it may be a no2 they are looking for. 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, Valois No1 said:

Yeah perhaps. If they were signing him for a no2 then maybe but he’s not a no1 for either of the old firm. I think he is steady and a decent keeper but he’s not even as good as Jon Mclaughlan imo. You may be right tho it may be a no2 they are looking for. 

I meant more about needing Scottish players for Europe really; Mclaughlin was absolutely outstanding for us, the entire Season, only Gordon has had a better Season than that, that's true

If we get a good offer and he wants to go, great

LarrysRightFoot
3 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I meant more about needing Scottish players for Europe really; Mclaughlin was absolutely outstanding for us, the entire Season, only Gordon has had a better Season than that, that's true

Think McLaughlin is being freed by Rangers if we need another keeper…

Ricardo Quaresma
Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

What age is he now?

Valois No1
7 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

👍

S Form
6 hours ago, Valois No1 said:

I don’t know. Celtic signed Joe Hart and he’s pish.

LarrysRightFoot

I’ve not seen tons of him and I don’t think he’s one we will be interested in but every time I have saw him Luke Molynuex at Doncaster has impressed me.  A real throw back of a tricky winger. 

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I’ve not seen tons of him and I don’t think he’s one we will be interested in but every time I have saw him Luke Molynuex at Doncaster has impressed me.  A real throw back of a tricky winger. 

Think we were linked with him a couple of years ago. 

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-update-on-in-demand-hartlepool-united-forward-luke-molyneux-3705605

nothing much came of it

3 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I don't think that would be a bad move TBH - Assuming Zander goes. 

If he doesn't then quite happy with Gordon & Zander competing for #1.

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal