Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

5 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

After Budge stating there would be no new projects and money would go into investing in the first team.

The pitches have probably been identified as causing us injuries and need replaced.

The next project should be our own training ground and Budge should be well gone by that stage.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

hmfc_liam06

We need a SQUAD. We can’t and wont just be chucking players like Forrest and Grant out.

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Rods said:

The pitches have probably been identified as causing us injuries and need replaced.

The next project should be our own training ground and Budge should be well gone by that stage.

not for this thread.  But could not disagree more strongly. The next step should be to fix whatever problems exist at oriam and stay there for the next 50 years. Thankfully, that seems to be the preference judging by the latest sound bites. 

and PS.  When Ann budge leaves we should build  a statue.

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We need a SQUAD. We can’t and wont just be chucking players like Forrest and Grant out.

100% Liam, we should look to improve on all players.  Too many can’t see past a first 11, we need 24/25 players.  I actually like Grant in games where we dominate the ball, but given we haven’t offered him a new deal, and signed Dhanda and Spittal I think the gig is up for him tbh.  

jamboinglasgow
18 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yup, I have found some of the talk about who we get rid of a bit fanciful. Forrest has his faults, but he has had good spells for us this season, something we want in a squad. Same with Grant who has been decent for us this season.

We have benefited this season from stability in the squad, we are not going to rip that up all at once.

Sooks
24 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Must be staying at the Oriam then. Or very confident of. Type of thing the benefactors would pay for.

Yeah , it is all about what money comes from where and goes towards what . Things like percentage of turnover , tax liabilities depending on where it is spent and ffp all need to be carefully accounted for 

38 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

After Budge stating there would be no new projects and money would go into investing in the first team.

This isn’t a new project it is ongoing maintenance to the training facilities. 

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Forrest was great in the winter months to the point he was the best player in Scotland. He can't maintain that form over a season, but anyone chucking him out is way off the mark, he will have hot periods where he is a starter, he will have cool periods, like now, where he is off the bench. Its not black and white

Maybe one of our best but far from the best in the league. 

I don't want rid of him, I just don't want him in our best 11. We have to do better. 

Goes for Oda as well, btw. 

SomethingAboutObua
36 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Exactly, The number of folk on here that think we should be signing and binning a new starting 11 every season is astounding  

section s heart
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Forrest was great in the winter months to the point he was the best player in Scotland. He can't maintain that form over a season, but anyone chucking him out is way off the mark, he will have hot periods where he is a starter, he will have cool periods, like now, where he is off the bench. Its not black and white

He's a decent impact option off the bench, so I'd be happy to keep him. He can be a real handful when he goes at tiring defenders, but there's no doubt his final ball/ decision needs to be better. Didn't mind his goal v Hibs, that was a belter!

Kirky Jambo

Some of the comments on Forrest are extremely harsh. He has been really good in spells this season and has always chipped in. Excellent squad player imo and based on his history I can’t imagine he is on a big wage.

I wouldn’t regard Dhanda or Spittal as a significant step up, hopefully all of them will compete for places and keep everyone hungry.

JimmyCant
56 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

not for this thread.  But could not disagree more strongly. The next step should be to fix whatever problems exist at oriam and stay there for the next 50 years. Thankfully, that seems to be the preference judging by the latest sound bites. 

Given we are starting on zero statues, I can probably name a dozen people of the top of my head more deserving of a statue before we get round to Ann Budge. Perhaps a bust would suffice ?

hmfc_liam06
36 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Exactly, The number of folk on here that think we should be signing and binning a new starting 11 every season is astounding  

Even signings don’t always have to be first 11. Bruce Anderson as an example might be the sort that’s happy playing second fiddle to Shankland and be happy at 10-15 appearances over a season. If we keep Shanks then we’re not spending a fortune on his backup.

HopeDiouf
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Indeed.  Fortunately it's just the empty heads on here.  Our coaching staff know what they are doing.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Given we are starting on zero statues, I can probably name a dozen people of the top of my head more deserving of a statue before we get round to Ann Budge. Perhaps a bust would suffice ?

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I think we should have 4 statues as guardians of the foundation plaza, all depicted as if playing keepie up with each other.

Budge, The Great Waldo, Vlad, Dave McKay

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

The best player in Scotland ? 😒 there are a few games where he was our best player in that wee purple patch he had, but overall he’s average at best and precisely the sort of player we should be upgrading on. System change next season (I reckon) and he’ll not get much game time

Must have been my imagination he got player of the month then 🤷‍♂️

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Maybe one of our best but far from the best in the league. 

I don't want rid of him, I just don't want him in our best 11. We have to do better. 

Goes for Oda as well, btw. 

See above

All roads lead to Gorgie

I am all for keeping Forrest and Oda. At the moment they are at about 80% of what they are capable of. Both still need to work on decision making but they Have improved on making the right type of runs and I am sure the coaches will be putting extra effort in preseason to iron out their weaknesses. 

The only case I would find appealing to let either go would be if they were part of a deal for a much higher caliber player coming to the club but I still feel we need quite a large pool of players to pick from and they should remain a part of that.

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Of course, but if we can source improvements then we should do so. 

The level of burden Shankland has had to carry for our otherwise lacklustre attack this season has been horrific. Just because we have a Rolls Royce of a centre forward, doesn't mean that we can or should get away with surrounding him with shite. 

The whole season we've struggled to break teams down. Principle issue IMO is that although we have a potentially 30 goal a season striker, the players supporting him in attack are a million miles behind him in quality. Vargas is so green it hurts and Forrest just isn't good enough, Grant & Fraser have both IMO failed to showcase why they should be in our starting 11. Next season we should have Spittal, Dhanda and a fit McKay supporting him, with Oda in reserve. But I really think if we can get a better quality winger in like Danny Armstrong, then we absolutely should do that. Folk I don't think appreciate how good Spittal & Dhanda are, Spittal has been immense for Motherwell, and Dhanda has grown into a player that can dictate games for County. If we can add to that further, then we need to!! 

If we want to keep pushing on and improving the standard of our play, then working hard isn't enough. We need players that can at the very least show awareness of where teammates are in key moments. Forrest cannot and does not do that. Those screen grabs from the Semi final should boil everyones blood. Absolutely horrendous from him, but yet nothing new. He's not a player likely to be able to be developed any further, and given Armstrong for example is the same age, yet miles ahead of him - talking about Scotland caps and being tapped by Ireland too, it should be a no brainer if we can get the deal done. 

Agentjambo
2 hours ago, Dazo said:

This isn’t a new project it is ongoing maintenance to the training facilities. 

Shite….Jobby

Selkirkhmfc1874
9 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Shite….Jobby

At the agm Mrs Budge did say they would continue to invest in infrastructure aswell and she pointed out now main stand finished the other 3 stands were old and a bit run down

10 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

At the agm Mrs Budge did say they would continue to invest in infrastructure aswell and she pointed out now main stand finished the other 3 stands were old and a bit run down

I wouldn’t waste your time with a sensible reply, anyone with half a brain can see the difference between new projects and maintaining the current infrastructure and facilities. 

Sooks

Not sure what Oda has done to be getting the heave ho either . Good player with the potential to be very good 

KG1874
5 hours ago, SectionN said:

I’d love us to sign the boy Jonson Clarke Harris from Peterborough. Sure he tore league one up few year back.

Get Grant & Kent in his ear. Free contract 

JCH would be my pick upfront although I’d have him as back up which I doubt he’d be up for. 500k was accepted from Charlton recently but he turned down the contract offer so as far as I’m aware still available. 

Different topic this… Think the few hoping forrest will be leaving will be disappointed if he wasn’t in the plan for next season I doubt we’d have offered him that new 2 and a half year deal he signed a few months ago. 

chrystaf
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Tit tit, oh sorry tut tut!

JimmyCant
52 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Not sure what Oda has done to be getting the heave ho either . Good player with the potential to be very good 

I think a part of the problem here is we have one outstanding attacking player whose contribution, performance and value to the team dwarfs anyone else. The others are not as good. It doesn’t mean that they’re not good in their own right.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

Shite….Jobby

a fitting description of your posts.  

Seriously, your hit rate is near zero % yet you always position your posts as fact.

a total fantasist. 

stevie1874
3 hours ago, Kirky Jambo said:

Some of the comments on Forrest are extremely harsh. He has been really good in spells this season and has always chipped in. Excellent squad player imo and based on his history I can’t imagine he is on a big wage.

I wouldn’t regard Dhanda or Spittal as a significant step up, hopefully all of them will compete for places and keep everyone hungry.

Well said. We bring better players in to the squad and hopefully players like Forrest raise their game to compete with new players. Only at the time when they are not raising game to compete for places then we can look at moving them on. Forrest is well worth his place in squad at the moment. 

jr ewing
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I like him. 👍 

johnking123

I like Oda too. He is a good player has had a few injuries this season. Other teams like him too. So he is doing something right!

Chaps
4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Go on then.

copa-mundial
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I don't get it either. 

His goals to game ratio stats are very good when he's been fit. 

Agentjambo
48 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

a fitting description of your posts.  

Seriously, your hit rate is near zero % yet you always position your posts as fact.

a total fantasist. 

🤐

Sooks

I think a part of the problem here is we have one outstanding attacking player whose contribution, performance and value to the team dwarfs anyone else. The others are not as good. It doesn’t mean that they’re not good in their own right.

Fair

36 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

I like him. 👍 

Me too , and I think he has a much higher ceiling than Armstrong

16 minutes ago, copa-mundial said:

I don't get it either. 

His goals to game ratio stats are very good when he's been fit. 

Indeed 

I'm so glad this response was about Oda :D 

I completely agree FWIW - Shanks being as good as he is, doesn't make our other attackers shite, but the issue is that our key other attackers - namely Barrie McKay & Oda have been injured for large stretches of the season. Leaving a very green Vargas and IMO a very average Alan Forrest. 

I think Oda will continue to get better. Just needs to be able to string games together. Its been all a little stop/start for him :( 

Quite buzzing to see how Spittal and Dhanda improve our attacking options. Both seem capable and able attackers that can make the right decisions at crucial moments. 

andrew
56 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

I like Oda too. He is a good player has had a few injuries this season. Other teams like him too. So he is doing something right!

Has Oda ever managed 90 minutes for us? (genuine question)

JimmyCant
59 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Go on then.

You just need to look in the Hall of Fame mate. There are 20 odd names there for starters. Ann Budge isn’t there (She might be one day of course, although more likely a club lifetime achievement award or something similar to recognise her) Statues are for players and managers IMO

Batistuta87
4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Never said anyone should be getting the heave. I said we need to do better. I'd keep them both - but not as first 11 players. Oda looks like he has the potential to get there but isn't yet. 

Batistuta87
5 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Must have been my imagination he got player of the month then 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

See above

Aye Ryan Strain won it one month as well. Doesn't mean either of them are good enough to be in our regular starting 11. 

heartsfc_fan
1 minute ago, Hansel said:

Hear me out though..... Sam Cosgrove

Not a bad shout or someone of that ilk. We need a plan B as we rely on Shankland too much.

FarmerTweedy
10 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I think we are going to have a good bit of salary space. We seem to be in a very healthy position to have a very good window. This may be our best opportunity in many years with such a good core already to build a formidable squadron

Are you saying we're Rich As F😲ck?

FarmerTweedy
10 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

The hope has to be that with new signings joining us, and Oda and McKay hopefully being fit and healthy for a lot more of the season, Forrest will be pushed down the pecking order a bit, and get less game time than this season.

He did indeed have a good spell of form over the winter this season, but I think there have still been a number of games where he's played more because of lack of other options than anything else. Having said that, the fact he was given a 2 year contract extension clearly shows Naismith values him as a squad member, and wants to keep him around. I suspect if things go fairly to plan, he'll probably feature quite a bit in Sunday games after European Thursday nights, and against weaker teams at other busy points of the season, but not much against the bigger teams. There's no chance we'll be looking to move him on in the summer though, and almost no chance he'd be remotely interested in moving to somewhere like Killie or anyone else really while he's still got two years left with us!

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

WHEREZ THE GALACTICOS?

Hleb incoming in 5....4.....3....

FarmerTweedy
10 hours ago, Sooks said:

Agree with this . It is one of those cliches that annoy me too . Same with “ project player “ or “ if he is so good then how come he signed for us “ . The latter one would literally mean we would never have any good players . Another is , “ if he is that good then how come nobody came in for him “

That said , I think Forrest will contribute next season but I would not be expecting him to be a first pick most weeks

There are a few jkb posters who basically insist that's actually the case!

FarmerTweedy
10 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

She actually stated there were no major projects upcoming. I think the expenditure at the Oriam will be relatively modest in comparison to things like building a hotel in the main stand. The first team will be getting significant investment. 

Still, good that you've managed to find an opportunity to have a dig at her though, such opportunities have been thin on the ground for you recently! 

FarmerTweedy
8 hours ago, OTT said:

Of course, but if we can source improvements then we should do so. 

The level of burden Shankland has had to carry for our otherwise lacklustre attack this season has been horrific. Just because we have a Rolls Royce of a centre forward, doesn't mean that we can or should get away with surrounding him with shite. 

The whole season we've struggled to break teams down. Principle issue IMO is that although we have a potentially 30 goal a season striker, the players supporting him in attack are a million miles behind him in quality. Vargas is so green it hurts and Forrest just isn't good enough, Grant & Fraser have both IMO failed to showcase why they should be in our starting 11. Next season we should have Spittal, Dhanda and a fit McKay supporting him, with Oda in reserve. But I really think if we can get a better quality winger in like Danny Armstrong, then we absolutely should do that. Folk I don't think appreciate how good Spittal & Dhanda are, Spittal has been immense for Motherwell, and Dhanda has grown into a player that can dictate games for County. If we can add to that further, then we need to!! 

If we want to keep pushing on and improving the standard of our play, then working hard isn't enough. We need players that can at the very least show awareness of where teammates are in key moments. Forrest cannot and does not do that. Those screen grabs from the Semi final should boil everyones blood. Absolutely horrendous from him, but yet nothing new. He's not a player likely to be able to be developed any further, and given Armstrong for example is the same age, yet miles ahead of him - talking about Scotland caps and being tapped by Ireland too, it should be a no brainer if we can get the deal done. 

Anyone whose blood boils from looking at those screen grabs has serious psychological issues and should really seek counselling or something. 

Agentjambo
16 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

She actually stated there were no major projects upcoming. I think the expenditure at the Oriam will be relatively modest in comparison to things like building a hotel in the main stand. The first team will be getting significant investment. 

Still, good that you've managed to find an opportunity to have a dig at her though, such opportunities have been thin on the ground for you recently! 

🤐

46 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Anyone whose blood boils from looking at those screen grabs has serious psychological issues and should really seek counselling or something. 

Should be mildly annoyed? idk what you're looking for chief :( 

The point was that his decision making is piss poor and costs us. 

Threedoorsdown

Rowles to Saudi is a shout I’ve heard. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal