Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Jamboross
38 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think the support were split on Lowry, and If it was Liam Scales for instance there would be uproar really. 
As I said earlier the players they have that are good enough to help us progress are probably on too much money for us to sign and unlikely to come on loan, Scott Wright types. 

If it were Liam Scales there'd be uproar cos he's shite. I think most would have been happy enough to bring in Mikey Johnston though. Don't doubt there are a few in our support who favour the blue cheek over the green, that's always been the case sadly, but I really don't think snuggling up to Rangers crosses the mind of anyone making decisions at the club. 

I don't think Scott Wright is a particularly unrealistic signing. He won't be on absolute mega bucks and while he'd obviously need to take a hit to move to us he might see it as worthwhile for regular first team football. That said, I don't think he's all that great so wouldn't go for him in the first place! 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

tiger Rudi
5 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

We spent nothing like £1m on Shankland. Had that been Beerschotts demands two years ago we would have walked away. 

I never said we did spend that amount on Shankland. I agree we would have walked away, but with the benefit of hindsight, walking away could have been seen as a bad move. Looking at the amount of goals and subsequent euro money gained during the length of his contract, then you could argue that if we had shelled out 1 million for him, it would still have been worth it. 

I don't think Armstrong is that level and us paying a mill for him is never going to happen. I doubt we would even pay half that amount tbh. Same goes for McCowan. 

I'd take them both though. 

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

If it were Liam Scales there'd be uproar cos he's shite. I think most would have been happy enough to bring in Mikey Johnston though. Don't doubt there are a few in our support who favour the blue cheek over the green, that's always been the case sadly, but I really don't think snuggling up to Rangers crosses the mind of anyone making decisions at the club. 

I don't think Scott Wright is a particularly unrealistic signing. He won't be on absolute mega bucks and while he'd obviously need to take a hit to move to us he might see it as worthwhile for regular first team football. That said, I don't think he's all that great so wouldn't go for him in the first place! 

Lowry was pretty shit and nobody really complained. 
I think Wright will have decent options that pay more than we can, he was on the way to Turkey last summer until the deal fell through, they will be looking for a decent fee also as hes under contract until next season. 
Im not convinced we are looking at another wide player anyway. 

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

McAvoy, Savage and McKinlay are all big Celtic fans so who are you talking about? 

Didn’t realise was a Celtic man, had to be one or the other.
Well the manager for a start, Halkett/Shankland/Clark/Halliday off the top of my head.
The Uber hun Halliday revealed on his pishcast that they were watching the OF game in the dressing room before we played Motherwell, and were obviously disappointed when they got beat. 
I have said in the past that personally I would favour people who had no care for the uglies to be running the club, unlikely unfortunately. 

Pasquale for King

We definitely need a few bigger players, we look a fair bit smaller than Killie at dead balls although the manager has made us far better at facing corners this season. 

InternationalJambo

I’d hope and expect we are looking for better than Dundees Lyall Cameron to come in and play CM for us. 

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

I’d hope and expect we are looking for better than Dundees Lyall Cameron to come in and play CM for us. 

Did you think that when we signed St Johnstone’s Paul Hartley came to play CM for us?

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

Needs to be an experienced guy to help us make the next step. 

johnking123
19 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

We will be. We want to aim better than SPFL players ideally. But don't ming going good young players.

Gordons left glove
35 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

What about Lennon Miller? Out of reach ?

Reported that premier league clubs are after him so probably 

Hectormasson
1 hour ago, Jamboross said:

ditto...

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

I notice that Cameron and McCowan have mainly played at centre mid this season. Does Cameron get stuck in the same that McCowan does? Would love to have a midfield full of players who can all tackle, dribble and pass

Taking it on the half turn and being able to retain possession in tight situations more important than tackling or dribbling. 2 touches is as many as you want, tackles are risks,stealing it back through the press is a better way,intercepting 

InternationalJambo
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Did you think that when we signed St Johnstone’s Paul Hartley came to play CM for us?

Those types of gems are few and far between nowadays. I’d hope we are looking to sign a dominant, experienced CM to fit our new system when Beni goes this summer. Hanging our hopes on a player who has done well in our league for one season will never work long term. We will be playing very good and experienced squads in Europe this coming season. 

Edited by InternationalJambo

Musemic
58 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

Much as Cameron and McGowan are both decent players I feel that we are lacking in physicality in the middle of the park, which neither of them would bring. If the rumours are true about Dan Phillips then he's not exactly a giant either, though he likes a tackle!

If our coaching team can turn Cammy Devlin into the box to box midfielder we saw on Saturday then maybe they can do something with Toby Sibbick who has all the tools to play the DM role and looked quite comfortable playing there in his brief loan spell a couple of years back

InternationalJambo
55 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Needs to be an experienced guy to help us make the next step. 

International and European cup competition experience will be massive for us. Someone with pedigree. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
5 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Sibbick will never make at hearts. We have to move him on.

Agree with this 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Musemic said:

Much as Cameron and McGowan are both decent players I feel that we are lacking in physicality in the middle of the park, which neither of them would bring. If the rumours are true about Dan Phillips then he's not exactly a giant either, though he likes a tackle!

If our coaching team can turn Cammy Devlin into the box to box midfielder we saw on Saturday then maybe they can do something with Toby Sibbick who has all the tools to play the DM role and looked quite comfortable playing there in his brief loan spell a couple of years back

Spot on, that has to be where Sibbick will end up. 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

International and European cup competition experience will be massive for us. Someone with pedigree. 

Lets hope so 👍🏽🤞

Uncle Buck
2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

I notice that Cameron and McCowan have mainly played at centre mid this season. Does Cameron get stuck in the same that McCowan does? Would love to have a midfield full of players who can all tackle, dribble and pass

I’d say both are strong in the tackle. McCowan is more of a playmaker who will dictate a game. Cameron is more of a box to box type. They’re very much in the Fulton and Cameron mould.

gorgierulesapply88
2 hours ago, Jamboross said:

Scott wright said no to joining us in the summer 👍🏽

JimmyCant
2 hours ago, InternationalJambo said:

What sort of ball park fee wise and wage wise do you think we’ll be in ? There’s a gulf between what we’d like, what we can afford and what the board will approve IMO

Watt-Zeefuik
59 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Sibbick will never make at hearts. We have to move him on.

Bit harsh in the wording, he's had a key role in some really great wins for us.

That said, on principle I agree. If he were going to progress to being a starter it would have happened by now. Probably better if he seeks his future elsewhere. I wish him all the best.

23 hours ago, Chaps said:

All the talk we want to kick on a get closer to the old firm.

Bruce Anderson ffs

:facepalm:

Sort of get this, but two seasons ago,  I was having a wee look at what was out there in terms of the unexpected numbers from players you would not expect. 

Van Veen and Anderson were the two players that stood out. 

At the time, got widely ripped for both. Was told Van Veen was, “a total huddy“. Maybe he is on this years form, but it all clicked for him last year. 

For the record, here are Anderson’s numbers when livi were doing a bit better (not saying I’d sign him as a starter, but he looks like he can do a decent contribution off the bench):

IMG_1999.png

IMG_2001.png

4 minutes ago, CMc said:

Sort of get this, but two seasons ago,  I was having a wee look at what was out there in terms of the unexpected numbers from players you would not expect. 

At the time, got widely ripped for both. Was told Van Veen was, “a total huddy“. Maybe he is on this years form, but it all clicked for him last year. 

For the record, here are Anderson’s numbers when livi were doing a bit better (not saying I’d sign him as a starter, but he looks like he can do a decent contribution off the bench):

IMG_1999.png

IMG_2001.png

Shanks this year as a comparison:

IMG_2002.png

IMG_2003.png

Sub4TiddlerMurray
3 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

PH was signed by us as a winger and he didn’t start off very well. I believe Craig Levein switched him to CM and the rest is fabulous history!

Edited by Sub4TiddlerMurray

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I have said in the past that personally I would favour people who had no care for the uglies to be running the club, unlikely unfortunately. 

It’s irrelevant if Savage is/was a Celtic supporter and there’s certainly not been any Rangers influence at the club since Campbell Ogilvie left to get his scandalous fat salary as President of the SFA midway through the Romanov tenure.

So, you can relax. There hasn’t been even the slightest sniff of Ugly/Hun influence at management/owner level for many years.

Now, of course, the owners are FOH subscribers, of which I hope you are one 😎

Batistuta87
6 hours ago, Musemic said:

No this again??? 🤦🏻

We don't need a DM. And certainly not one that we have to teach how to play there. 

Edited by Batistuta87

GavK1012
3 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

PH was signed by us as a winger and he didn’t start off very well. I believe Craig Levein switched him to CM and the rest is fabulous history!

Incorrect, pay attention at the back will you 🤭😙

Sir Paul was switched from out wide to an attacking centre mid whilst still at St Johnstone, which clearly caught the eye of Levein. So great point made by previous poster about picking up talent in Scotland with scope to grow and become better if not a legend indeed 👌👍

Edited by GavK1012
Typo

GavK1012
1 minute ago, GavK1012 said:

Sir Paul was switched from out wide to an attacking centre mid whilst still at St Johnstone, which clearly caught the eye of Levein. So great point made by previous poster about picking up talent in Scotland with scope to grow and become better if not a legend indeed 👌👍

Trigger
7 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

It was Billy Stark, whilst at St Johnstone who moved SPH from winger to midfielder.

BILLY STARK, the Queen's Park manager, was last night credited with having helped transform the career of Paul Hartley by moving him from wide right into a central midfield area when the pair were at St Johnstone.

The Hearts midfielder, who is likely to be one of the most influential players in tomorrow's Tennent's Scottish Cup final against Gretna, said the change of position was a major factor in his recent success.

"It took Billy Stark to find my true role, " said Hartley, who has 17 goals for Hearts this season and one for Scotland. "I was very inconsistent as a wide player earlier in my career. Since I moved into the middle of the park with St Johnstone, I have been very consistent.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
3 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

I guess if you assert something with enough confidence then it can seem like you are correct. Sign of the ‘post truth’ times.

Having been there on the terraces when we signed a fairly underwhelming winger from St Johnstone (pay attention: not a CM) and, having been less-than-convincing after several games in that position, he was then (and only then) Levein switched him to CM. That’s when he flourished into Sir Paul. 

Hey, not wanting to steer this off-topic so let’s just leave it as you remember one thing (I’m assuming you were there too? Maybe not?) and I remember it as it

was 😉

🤣🤣 …. I should have read @Trigger’s post before I posted ….ok I’ll go to the back of the class 🤣🤣

Edited by Sub4TiddlerMurray

Finlay James
3 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Spot on.  It was Billy Stark at St Johnstone who converted him to a CM and the rest is history.

spacerjoe
8 hours ago, CMc said:

IMG_1999.png

IMG_2001.png

Not disagreeing with your sentiments, but those percentiles are a bit pointless when they are against ALL league players.

They should be against other players in his position, otherwise they are completely diluted.

The top 10 strikers in the league will easily all be in the top 3% for shooting stats.

tiger Rudi
10 hours ago, Musemic said:

If Toby was going to be in our midfield, that possibility would have been tried and tested long before now surely.

I expect Toby to want away, as he is very unlikely to be in our starting 11, barring injuries. If he's happy to be a squad player then I don't see any reason to chase him away. He's decent enough cover to have in our squad. 

12 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

McAvoy, Savage and McKinlay are all big Celtic fans so who are you talking about? 

“ Big “ Celtic fans or just supporters when they were younger ? At least they are not “ massive “ or “ die hard “ Celtic fans like most are described online when these topics come up 

Just now, Sinbad the Sailor said:

Joe is an Accies fan.

Cant have been that “ big “ a Celtic fan after all then :lol: 

If we sell anyone for decent money, I'd like to see the cash invested quickly and effectively in the squad.

Let's say we sell Cochrane for around £2m. We can use that money directly to become a better team. This is a luxury we have, now that we are a well run club with the Foundation.

I like Armstrong, but I'm not convinced he'd represent value for money. A £1.5m joint bid for Cameron and McCowan at Dundee would be interesting. With Cameron, McCowan, Spittal and Dhanda arriving, we could afford to lose Grant and / or Forrest, or maybe even Oda, which would free up more cash.

This is the kind of strategy we need to progress, in addition to plugging the holes in the squad, which we need to do regardless (RB, replacement for Beni, probably a CB).

11 hours ago, Musemic said:

Not this again 😫

Selkirkhmfc1874

Young lad Rocco Friel attracting interest from derby Leicester and Queens park rangers according to the daily ranger 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Young lad Rocco Friel attracting interest from derby Leicester and Queens park rangers according to the daily ranger 

🙄

Batistuta87
35 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Not this again 😫

Ridiculous eh. Never ending. 

8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Ridiculous eh. Never ending. 

Yep. Unfortunately it will only end the day he leaves the club. 

RustyRightPeg
37 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Yep. Unfortunately it will only end the day he leaves the club. 

I'm convinced folk don't actually understand (or take into account) the difference in the circumstances from then to now. That was arguably the worst Hearts team in recent history, and he was shoe horned into that role because we had absolutely nobody else worthy of playing there. Add to that he played about 120 minutes total in that position, before getting injured and the season curtailing.

Fast forward to 2024, we have adequate midfielders, playing in the correct position & we're even looking to improve them!!  Four years later they're still bringing it up. 

I like Sibbick, he seems like an integral and popular member of the changing room. His turnaround in form last season was fantastic and his derby goal gave me a memory for life, but it makes me uneasy trying to think about him taking the ball in the same areas Beni does and not lose it.

1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I'm convinced folk don't actually understand (or take into account) the difference in the circumstances from then to now. That was arguably the worst Hearts team in recent history, and he was shoe horned into that role because we had absolutely nobody else worthy of playing there. Add to that he played about 120 minutes total in that position, before getting injured and the season curtailing.

Fast forward to 2024, we have adequate midfielders, playing in the correct position & we're even looking to improve them!!  Four years later they're still bringing it up. 

I like Sibbick, he seems like an integral and popular member of the changing room. His turnaround in form last season was fantastic and his derby goal gave me a memory for life, but it makes me uneasy trying to think about him taking the ball in the same areas Beni does and not lose it.

Totally agree.

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Beni signs 2 year deal