Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)

Jackhmfc1348

Carter
8 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

I don’t think any of us would begrudge him a move for the benefit of his family and to test himself at the highest level he can attain. If he moves in the summer then he will be going with tens of thousands of our best wishes. 

What the majority of us don’t want,  is to hear positive soundbites about him wanting to play  and test himself against the best and then he ends up with Soapy along the M8 in Govan.

Running down his contract, if there are no suitors after the euros, only means one thing for me but it’s a gamble against another qualifying group stage next season.  The board has a tricky decision to make in the close season and I’m sure the Souttar situation will weigh heavily on their mind. 

I don’t think I could watch shanks banging in the goals at Tynie whilst wearing a royal blue top and sevconians singing ‘Glad all Over’ 🤢. That’s my worst fears! 

Interesting. I can't see any scenario where the club let his contract run down. I can see the comparison made in terms of letting his contract run down if we can't convince him to extend against the backdrop of what we generate from possible European qualification again next season. I can't see the Board take that view though. They'll believe, quite rightly, that we can achieve a good fee for Shankland if it's clear he's intent on going and we can still achieve third without him.

They've made no secret that absence of any player trading upside is a key aspect we need to address. For that reason I cannot see him being able to run his contract down. Either extend or sell this summer. Latter most likely. 

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

N Lincs Jambo
6 minutes ago, Carter said:

Interesting. I can't see any scenario where the club let his contract run down. I can see the comparison made in terms of letting his contract run down if we can't convince him to extend against the backdrop of what we generate from possible European qualification again next season. I can't see the Board take that view though. They'll believe, quite rightly, that we can achieve a good fee for Shankland if it's clear he's intent on going and we can still achieve third without him.

They've made no secret that absence of any player trading upside is a key aspect we need to address. For that reason I cannot see him being able to run his contract down. Either extend or sell this summer. Latter most likely. 

Interesting final paragraph. We've not had many 30 goals a season strikers in my 54 years supporting the famous (two I think including Shanks). This is why I think Shanks might be the exception to the rule here. Unless he sets the Euros alight (a scenario I don't see happening as I don't think Clarke trusts him) we're unlikely to get an offer which would meet our valuation (which I would hope would be no lower than £4 million given the financial rewards his goals, if repeated next season, would bring). In this case we keep him for his final contracted season and he goes whereever he likes next summer, probably Ibrox.

My hope is that, like in January, no decent offer comes in and he revisits the one offer he has on the table, ie the Hearts one.

Watt-Zeefuik
9 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

There was a Q&A at Tynecastle last night. Steven Naismith called off at the last minute but Shanks was there along with a few other players and fielded a few tough questions about his future. Based on what I heard last night then I think he’ll be gone in the summer.  

His future doesn’t lie with us but I do think it will all be dependent on how he performs at the Euros. 

8 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Thats what I took too. 

Based on his comments about the OF being in their own wee bubble, I get the impression he won’t end up through the West however. 

Was a decent wee event, saying that, the players couldn’t bolt quick enough 😂 

I haven't seen the comments from last night but in the previous week he's been pretty open about hoping that he gets picked up by a big club.

I don't have a problem with that, particularly since he's been equally clear that he doesn't know if it will happen. I'm not unhappy in my job at the moment but would I like it if some top-notched firm came and headhunted me and offered to triple my salary? Of course I would. Does that mean I'm already out the door? No.

The football market is weird and unpredictable and Shanks is clearly showing that he knows that as well as anyone. He wants to play in the biggest European leagues, that much is clear. He's said he wants to go places that Hearts may not be able to take him. That is almost certainly not a recipe for rocking up to Parkhead or Govan.

I'll say again. Neither I nor Shankland nor his agent nor Naisy nor Savage nor McKinlay know who's going to come knocking for him in the summer. We don't know what they'll offer the club. It's entirely possible that shithole clubs like Blackpool come up thinking they can offer £750k and be off with him and we hang up the phone on them, and that's the end of that. It's also possible that a Genoa or a Brugges or similar come and offer us £3m and then he's probably off.

My assumption is that for him to get the offer he wants, he needs to perform in Europe. And no one, including him, knows if that's going to happen.

Nonetheless he's been a consummate professional about it the entire time and if he doesn't get the offer he wants, my guess is he signs a fat contract extension and goes on to score a hundred goals for us.

But again, it's utterly impossible for anyone to know if he's away this summer or not yet, and folk jumping to conclusions when it's impossible to know does my head in.

CaptainShanks
On 07/05/2024 at 19:41, frankblack said:

I'm sure the club will balance any offers vs his goals.

However, its often not great to keep a player who wants away (or his agent does).

If we have offered the rumoured 14k a week I'm sure Shankland and his agent will appreciate that any offers we receive should reflect that. 

At those wages I doubt any team would sign him to warm the bench.

The lack of interest in January was telling and he hasn't done much since then to convince teams who had doubts about bidding for him. I think he will come to the realisation that we are a perfect fit for him and sign the new deal.

5 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Mentioned earlier but my very loose impression based on his comments at the Q&A last night are that he isn't interested in going West (unless he's going home to watch the Champions League!). I get the vibe he wants to go South or Abroad. 

He knows what he can do at this level, it's almost a safety blanket if the next move doesn't work for him.

He certainly makes noises about wanting to go to a higher level. Depends what offers come in, I'd imagine. Signing for them does mean an even higher level of expectation and most likely some more glamorous European fixtures to be fair.

Hope he goes abroad and is a success if he doesn't stay.

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’m not negative on  it just realistic imo.  All these fancy fees that folk bandy about for Shankland and Cochrane et al yet the reality is that we haven’t received an offer for either of them.  Only Sibbick. 
In terms of Shankland it appears we have offered him the dough twice now and still it’s not enough or he doesn’t want to stay. Either way what do we do?  £14/15k pw being spoken about is way above our means given what it will mean for future wage demands from other players.  Again just my opinion.  I’d love him to stay. I’d love us to get north of £5m for him. At this point in time I don’t think either will happen.  Are we allowed opinions on here nowadays? 

What you are saying isn't even negative,  it's realistic. 

We all hope he'll stay or go for a big £5m + fee.

Even if we do sell Shankland for about £2.5m he's almost been the perfect signing all round.

We got him for about £300/400k.

He wanted home.

He's been our top goal scorer x 2 seasons, hardly been Injured and become a key player.

He got back on the International scene, enjoyed his time , won poty and gets a move to a club that pays more, hopefully different league.

We get around £2-£2.5m ( 4/5 times what we paid).

Everyone is happy and benefitted. 

It's a great example to other potential signings what we can do for them.

My worst case now is he runs down his contract, signs for rangers and is scoring against us the  season after a free transfer.

Bad Religion
25 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I haven't seen the comments from last night but in the previous week he's been pretty open about hoping that he gets picked up by a big club.

I don't have a problem with that, particularly since he's been equally clear that he doesn't know if it will happen. I'm not unhappy in my job at the moment but would I like it if some top-notched firm came and headhunted me and offered to triple my salary? Of course I would. Does that mean I'm already out the door? No.

The football market is weird and unpredictable and Shanks is clearly showing that he knows that as well as anyone. He wants to play in the biggest European leagues, that much is clear. He's said he wants to go places that Hearts may not be able to take him. That is almost certainly not a recipe for rocking up to Parkhead or Govan.

I'll say again. Neither I nor Shankland nor his agent nor Naisy nor Savage nor McKinlay know who's going to come knocking for him in the summer. We don't know what they'll offer the club. It's entirely possible that shithole clubs like Blackpool come up thinking they can offer £750k and be off with him and we hang up the phone on them, and that's the end of that. It's also possible that a Genoa or a Brugges or similar come and offer us £3m and then he's probably off.

My assumption is that for him to get the offer he wants, he needs to perform in Europe. And no one, including him, knows if that's going to happen.

Nonetheless he's been a consummate professional about it the entire time and if he doesn't get the offer he wants, my guess is he signs a fat contract extension and goes on to score a hundred goals for us.

But again, it's utterly impossible for anyone to know if he's away this summer or not yet, and folk jumping to conclusions when it's impossible to know does my head in.

That is just naivety in the extreme.

Of course Shankland, his agent and the club will know what his potential options are and where he’ll likely be moving if it’s not already agreed. 

Watt-Zeefuik
5 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

That is just naivety in the extreme.

Of course Shankland, his agent and the club will know what his potential options are and where he’ll likely be moving if it’s not already agreed. 

You don't think his Euro performance could change things?

You think they've already got that figured out?

Bad Religion
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

He’s not going to turn into Erling Haaland at the Euros. 

Edited by Bad Religion

Watt-Zeefuik
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

He’s not going to turn into Erling Haaland at the Euros. 

A couple of goals in the Euros could mean the difference between £15k/week and £20k/week for him. He doesn't have to be Haaland for it to be worth his while to wait.

Edited by Watt-Zeefuik

Ricardo Quaresma
23 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

What you are saying isn't even negative,  it's realistic

Even if we do sell Shankland for about £2.5m he's almost been the perfect signing all round.

He wanted home.

He's been our top goal scorer x 2 seasons, hardly been Injured and become a key player.

He got back on the International scene, enjoyed his time , won poty and gets a move to a club that pays more, hopefully different league.

My worst case now is he runs down his contract, signs for rangers and is scoring against us the  season after a free transfer.

It's p15h, I'd call it tosh, even

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

It's p15h, I'd call it tosh, even

This is why English clubs (especially lower league ones) love Scottish football, we keep down playing the value of our players while they take advantage and overinflate theirs. So means they can keep taking our players for a fraction they would expect if it was their players and have left Scottish football with a mentality of "it is what it is." That is also the same for tv rights.

luckydug
15 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

That's a common sense post, as opposed to the 2 'shove him out the door to anyone for a 5h1t price including rangers' types above

Their 5h1tty price of £2M-£2.5M could be right in one of the multiverses, but it's double that to the weeg in all of them :smuggy:

-

Strange that the folk that value him at less than 5mill are more or less the same people saying LS could earn 20/30k else where.

if he is worth not a lot as a transfer then clubs wont be paying him as if he is a 15 mill player.

Its one or the other.

soonbe110
33 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

What you are saying isn't even negative,  it's realistic. 

He wanted home.

I agree, because if he runs his contract down it’s big odds on that’s where he ends up. Don’t understand why folk can’t see that. The dream move for a 30 year old Rangers supporter. Perfect signing for Rangers as a back-up striker 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

This is why English clubs (especially lower league ones) love Scottish football, we keep down playing the value of our players while they take advantage and overinflate theirs. So means they can keep taking our players for a fraction they would expect if it was their players and have left Scottish football with a mentality of "it is what it is." That is also the same for tv rights.

We're the Hearts; we'll do what we want; if it's another Souttar situation, then fine

Incidentally, we're alleged to have offered him the same as the highest figure alleged to be paid to Souttar by rangers, so isn't that them 'oot the gemme?'

Bad Religion
11 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

A couple of goals in the Euros could mean the difference between £15k/week and £20k/week for him. He doesn't have to be Haaland for it to be worth his while to wait.

Ok, well time will tell I suppose. 

This quote from his recent interview screams move to the OF to me. He’s just being respectful to Hearts imo. 

"You need to be realistic in what the club can achieve and what you can achieve as a player. Of course if the opportunity to maybe win things that you wouldn't win and play in places that you wouldn't play at Hearts come about, then it would obviously be tempting

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Ricardo Quaresma said:

We're the Hearts; we'll do what we want; if it's another Souttar situation, then fine

Incidentally, we're alleged to have offered him the same as the highest figure alleged to be paid to Souttar by rangers, so isn't that them 'oot the gemme?'

Certainly, if Shankland wont sign a new deal and we have offered him the best we can, then I have no problem if he goes at the end of next season.

Just annoys me that people seem to talk about realism which is often to be the same undervaluing that Scottish football does for its players.

luckydug
3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Exactly some people just like to rubbish Scotland.

soonbe110
4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Strange that the folk that value him at less than 5mill are more or less the same people saying LS could earn 20/30k else where.

if he is worth not a lot as a transfer then clubs wont be paying him as if he is a 15 mill player.

Its one or the other.

Not really.  Paying a £5m fee and paying him £20k pw for four years is a £10m investment for a club. Clearly not many, if any, think that’s a good investment.  If they could get him for £5m over four years it possibly is a good investment. 
Folk don’t seem to realise that every week the majority of English championship sides get deeper into debt with no real indication of how to fix it. They have maxed out on their tv deal and sponsorships and are pretty much begging the epl for money to bail them out. The only championship clubs with lots of money to spend this summer will be those that sell players to epl and clubs abroad. 

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Its one or the other.

Good point; incongruous and quite irrational because of that incongruity, logic dictates

I guess the response would be, 'aah, but, he's gettin' auld'; he's not going to lose pace for the next 2 / 3 years, though

soonbe110
4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Certainly, if Shankland wont sign a new deal and we have offered him the best we can, then I have no problem if he goes at the end of next season.

Just annoys me that people seem to talk about realism which is often to be the same undervaluing that Scottish football does for its players.

Are you really happy for him to sign a pre-contract with Rangers in 8 months time and move to them for nothing next summer? 

Ricardo Quaresma
4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

It's over-realistic, it's just crossing the line at the other end of the spectrum from those who value his contract very highly

As @kingantti1874 keeps stating, it's not 1998 anymore and we sold McCann ultra cheap even then 👍

kingantti1874
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Are you really happy for him to sign a pre-contract with Rangers in 8 months time and move to them for nothing next summer? 

Rather that than sell him for an embarrassingly low fee now. Becuase in 2024 £2m is nearly the same as nothing. Hes worth more on the pitch by far.

thats the bit that keep going round in circles.  

Some still think £2m is a good fee, or if that’s the max anyone will bid what we have to accept?.  But the reality is it isn’t a good fee. Anyone who thinks that is simply incorrect. It wouldn’t have been a good fee for the SPFL player of the year, 25 years ago so it certainly isn’t now. 

It’s a tiny fee and we will get nowhere near replacing him with it.   We will appear weak and clubs will continue to bid low amounts for our players.  

if we got an appropriate fee for the best player in the league.  Then no issue.  But it’s not £2m. 

Out of interested what if someone only bid £1m. Are we selling him then ? 

Edited by kingantti1874

1971fozzy
49 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

he will be lucky to start in the euros given Clarke’s loyalty to others. It won’t (in my opinion) put any suitors off signing him

1971fozzy
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I would be fine with it yes. Becuase in 2024 £2m is nearly the same as nothing. Hes worth more on the pitch by far.

Some still think £2m is a good fee.  But the reality is it isn’t a good fee. Anyone who thinks that is simply incorrect. It wouldn’t have been a good fee for the SPFL player of the year, 25 years ago so it certainly isn’t now. 

It’s a tiny fee and we will get nowhere near replacing him with it.   We will appear weak and clubs will continue to bid low amounts for our players.  

if we got an appropriate fee for the best player in the league.  Then no issue.  But it’s not £2m. 

100%
£2m is nothing when you see that’s what Nisbett allegedly went for to millwall ffs. He’s 10 times the player Nisbett is despite his age. 

Helter Skelter

Soonlie110 still punting Shankland to the Huns I see.

Can’t wait until the window opens and he can let us all know about the (imaginary) bids from them.

🙄

kingantti1874
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

It's over-realistic, it's just crossing the line at the other end of the spectrum from those who value his contract very highly

As @kingantti1874 keeps stating, it's not 1998 anymore and we sold McCann ultra cheap even then 👍

that’s it mate, we need to make sure that in future clubs don’t bother trying to lowball us.  We should be a pathway to bigger teams and bigger leagues but on our terms. players when they sign for us need to know that we will not be lowballed.  If they don’t like it then do not sign in the first place. 

Hearts decide the price, for me qualifying for europe  is worth £6m + finishing 3rd over 4th nearly a million, every win in Europe this season circa 400k .

its not about what teams bid.  People may very well be correct that is the highest we will receive .  It doesn’t not mean we should accept becuase he is worth more than that to us.   Hearts should be transparent with the fee we want.

Be interesting for people to state their minimum, I mean - what if rangers are the only team interested and they only bid £1m are we entertaining that? or it it exactly £2m. ?

Edited by kingantti1874

Bad Religion
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

that’s it mate, we need to make sure that in future clubs don’t bother trying to lowball us.  We should be a pathway to bigger teams and bigger leagues but on our terms. players when they sign for us need to know that we will not be lowballed.  If they don’t like it then do not sign in the first place. 

Hearts decide the price, for me qualifying for europe  is worth £6m + finishing 3rd over 4th nearly a million, every win in Europe this season circa 400k .

its not about what teams bid.  People may very well be correct that is the highest we will receive .  It doesn’t not mean we should accept becuase he is worth more than that to us.   Hearts should be transparent with the fee we want.

Be interesting for people to state their minimum, I mean - what if rangers are the only team interested and they only bid £1m are we entertaining that? or it it exactly £2m. ?

I agree with what you’re saying in theory but it won’t transpire like that in the real world. Not with Shankland anyway. 

Edited by Bad Religion

Bazzas right boot
44 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I agree, because if he runs his contract down it’s big odds on that’s where he ends up. Don’t understand why folk can’t see that. The dream move for a 30 year old Rangers supporter. Perfect signing for Rangers as a back-up striker 

Yip, if he runs down his contract there is only one destination,  pretty obvious.

Saudi being the curve ball ofc.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Helter Skelter said:

Can’t wait until the window opens and he can let us all know about the (imaginary) bids from them.

🙄

Rangers won't be buying him- we'llstill wNt a decent fee, not some token amount., they will happily pick him up for a free a year later tho, no problem.

soonbe110
13 minutes ago, Helter Skelter said:

🙄

Out of the woodwork🤫

Helter Skelter
8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Out of the woodwork🤫

1. You’ve told lies on this forum. 

2. You have an agenda.

3. You’ve consistently lowballed Shanklands valuation. (I’m fully aware this point is linked to the 2 above)

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Bad Religion said:

Ok, well time will tell I suppose. 

This quote from his recent interview screams move to the OF to me. He’s just being respectful to Hearts imo. 

"You need to be realistic in what the club can achieve and what you can achieve as a player. Of course if the opportunity to maybe win things that you wouldn't win and play in places that you wouldn't play at Hearts come about, then it would obviously be tempting

See I read that about playing places you wouldn't play at Hearts as wanting to move to a Big 5 league, or at least possibly one of the upper clubs in the Netherlands, Portugal, or Belgium. Trading up from Conference League to Europa League by moving to the OF isn't a terribly compelling move IMO.

soonbe110
2 minutes ago, Helter Skelter said:

1. You’ve told lies on this forum. 

2. You have an agenda.

3. You’ve consistently lowballed Shanklands valuation. (I’m fully aware this point is linked to the 2 above)

You are talking crap as usual, grow up man, or should I say boy.  You are behaving like a ten year old. If you are looking for 100% truth don’t come on here again. Its a forum for rumour, speculation and a bit of truth.  90% of what’s posted are personal opinions, none of which is fact and in many cases the truth in only one persons head. 

Daveandal
49 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Rather that than sell him for an embarrassingly low fee now. Becuase in 2024 £2m is nearly the same as nothing. Hes worth more on the pitch by far.

Some still think £2m is a good fee, or if that’s the max anyone will bid what we have to accept?.  But the reality is it isn’t a good fee. Anyone who thinks that is simply incorrect. It wouldn’t have been a good fee for the SPFL player of the year, 25 years ago so it certainly isn’t now. 

The only bit I disagree is the replacing him part. We literally bought him for £400/500k Aberdeen similar with Miovski. There are bargains out there... just hard to find.

Bad Religion
5 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

See I read that about playing places you wouldn't play at Hearts as wanting to move to a Big 5 league, or at least possibly one of the upper clubs in the Netherlands, Portugal, or Belgium. Trading up from Conference League to Europa League by moving to the OF isn't a terribly compelling move IMO.

And what about the ‘winning things’ bit?

kingantti1874
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

The only bit I disagree is the replacing him part. We literally bought him for £400/500k Aberdeen similar with Miovski. There are bargains out there... just hard to find.

👍🏻 not impossible.  But very hard. For every Miovski there is a sokler or papa gueye..

we have the funds to go buy a couple of strikers this season without selling shanks and we need to do that 

Edited by kingantti1874

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, Bad Religion said:

And what about the ‘winning things’ bit?

I just doubt his highest ambition is the Prem trophy. In the past few weeks Shanks has backed himself basically saying, I've scored everywhere I've gone, I don't think there's anywhere I can't score. I think he wants to test himself while he's in his prime, and if I were him the OF wouldn't stand out to me as a challenge.

I think he's watched folk like Hickey and others and said, why not me?

Bad Religion
2 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I just doubt his highest ambition is the Prem trophy. In the past few weeks Shanks has backed himself basically saying, I've scored everywhere I've gone, I don't think there's anywhere I can't score. I think he wants to test himself while he's in his prime, and if I were him the OF wouldn't stand out to me as a challenge.

I think he's watched folk like Hickey and others and said, why not me?

Surely you can understand why Hickey and Shankland can’t be compared? And didn’t we get less than a million for AH which is scandalous. 

Brentford currently have Ivan Toney playing up front amongst others and if he is to leave he’s not being replaced by Shankland.

He’s not moving to a ‘top 5 league club’ as you say or a club in the other counties you’ve mentioned that wins things. 

As depressing as it is, he’ll win things at the OF and he’ll more than likely be involved n some ‘glamorous’ European ties. 

ramrod

Still got the feeling Shankland and his agent are thinking he'll end up at  Rangers this Summer in a cut price deal.

indianajones
6 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Still got the feeling Shankland and his agent are thinking he'll end up at  Rangers this Summer in a cut price deal.

They must both be seriously hard of thought if thats the case. 

Price goes up for Sevco. Thats the way it is I am afraid. 

The Treasurer
18 minutes ago, ramrod said:

What are you basing this on. 

Not having a go, just curious 

tcjambo
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

👍

My favourite is Barnard Castle - I don't blame Dominic Cummins driving 30 miles to get there as they have two great fish and chip shops lol. Lord Crewe Arms in Blanchland is a bit special too.

Edited by tcjambo

SMJ_1874
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

I see the very minimum fee being between £3-£3.5M. Like I said before, having a good euros and let’s say he scores the winning goal against Germany, which is a cracker, then his value will soar to £7.5-£8M. It all depends on how he himself performs. If he has a nightmare and continually fluffs chances and is dropped by SC then I don’t think anyone will come in for him unless they try to steal him from us. 

Do running down his contract may be best for us as I wouldn’t let him leave for less than £3M and I’m trying to be realistic. If he stays with us for the season and we can get past European group stage in the conference then he’ll already have earned us more than a £3M transfer fee. 

it’s certainly going to be a gamble whatever the outcome imo. 

SMJ_1874
37 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Soapy was offered £8k per week to extend his contract here and he turned us down. He signed for the Huns as a free agent and got a £125k signing on fee with a weekly salary of £17.5k per week. I’m sure shanks knows this and will be wanting a piece of that pie wherever he goes. I also have the feeling if there are no reasonable offers for shanks then he’ll take the same road if the Huns decide they want him. Neil McCann will advise him where his future lies and it won’t be till after the euros. Only shanks can inflate or deflate his value based on how he performs at the euros. 

12 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

I see the very minimum fee being between £3-£3.5M. Like I said before, having a good euros and let’s say he scores the winning goal against Germany, which is a cracker, then his value will soar to £7.5-£8M. It all depends on how he himself performs. If he has a nightmare and continually fluffs chances and is dropped by SC then I don’t think anyone will come in for him unless they try to steal him from us. 

Do running down his contract may be best for us as I wouldn’t let him leave for less than £3M and I’m trying to be realistic. If he stays with us for the season and we can get past European group stage in the conference then he’ll already have earned us more than a £3M transfer fee. 

If we do get offers, from outside Scotland, for more than £2m then we should take it with the caveat that he cannot be loaned to any club in Scotland (except Hearts) for 3 years. In addition if the buying club decide to sell him on, then Hearts will receive a payment of £1m from that fee. If Rangers want to buy him this season the asking price is £3m. We cannot stop him leaving on freedom of contract but we can make it more difficult, particularly for the Govan leeches.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Bad Religion said:

Surely you can understand why Hickey and Shankland can’t be compared? And didn’t we get less than a million for AH which is scandalous. 

Brentford currently have Ivan Toney playing up front amongst others and if he is to leave he’s not being replaced by Shankland.

He’s not moving to a ‘top 5 league club’ as you say or a club in the other counties you’ve mentioned that wins things. 

As depressing as it is, he’ll win things at the OF and he’ll more than likely be involved n some ‘glamorous’ European ties. 

Didn't mean to compare them directly, just that Shankland will think he can play at that level.

We'll see where he goes. When asked where he might go, he explicitly mentioned that he'd gone to Belgium and he'd enjoy going back to the continent if he could.

This was the quote from Hearts Standard:

“The club have been great for me since I have gone there and have given me a real platform to perform at a high level with a top Scottish club. I really enjoy it there. If I am there for the next season, I am more than happy.”

That being said, he agrees that seeing out his career without taking that gamble on the next leap may leave him with nagging regrets when, one day, it is all over.

“You want to push on,” he said. “Can I get somewhere where I say, ‘Right, that wasn’t good enough’? I don’t feel I have experienced that yet. You could finish your career and have regrets and say, ‘I wish I had tried that and seen if I could play there’. If you get the chance you try and go and do it.”

Might that mean a move south of the border, then?

“I don’t know,” he said. “There are loads of leagues all over Europe. I have been abroad before. I will see. I will go abroad again. But, as I say, I am still under contract at Hearts, and I would never disrespect that position.”

As high as his stock is at the moment, a starring role for Scotland at the European Championships might take the decision out of the hands of both player and club.

“You never know,” he said. “If I nick a goal there everything changes. But we will go and look forward to that.”

Sooks
2 hours ago, Bad Religion said:

I could definitely see him in France or Italy . I am assuming they are still top five leagues 

soonbe110
3 hours ago, ramrod said:

Careful, someone will be on here soon accusing you of trying to get him to Ibrox. 

soonbe110
2 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Can you tell us what you have been drinking? One screamer  increase his value by £4.5-5m.  

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)