Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)

Jackhmfc1348

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Your sentence was definitely missing an "If", that would have made it clearer. 

Nah, "if" wasn't required to answer the question. 

Read the question, then the answer. 

Perfect sense.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

doddsyJR9

Wherever Shanks ends up, I'll lower my hat to him, and wish him all the best for his goal fest. He's a good guy, a good captain, and a helluva good football player.

9 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Me too, but neither of us will have a say, be between him and the club.

I don't think the club will sell him this summer unless their valuation is met and that's the right thing to do imo. McKinley was pretty clear about what he is worth to us. 

It protects us & Shanks because if someone really wants him as their #9, they'll pay the money regardless of his contract situation. 

I wouldn't worry about it though. I think some club will meet our valuation. He's a 20-30 goal Championship striker all day long. If he plays and scores at the Euros, there'll be a queue of clubs in for him and we could earn a fair few shekels.

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I don't think the club will sell him this summer unless their valuation is met and that's the right thing to do imo. McKinley was pretty clear about what he is worth to us. 

It protects us & Shanks because if someone really wants him as their #9, they'll pay the money regardless of his contract situation. 

I wouldn't worry about it though. I think some club will meet our valuation. He's a 20-30 goal Championship striker all day long. If he plays and scores at the Euros, there'll be a queue of clubs in for him and we could earn a fair few shekels.

I don't think the club will want to sell him but if there is a decent bid and he makes it clear he wants to go then I think we'll sell him.

For example,  we won't knock back a bid of around £3m if he has stated he wants to leave us.

Imo, in the summer with a year left, a pre contract available in 6 months , his age and ofc if he says he wants to go we won't be getting the bids of £5m +.

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Wherever Shanks ends up, I'll lower my hat to him, and wish him all the best for his goal fest. He's a good guy, a good captain, and a helluva good football player.

If he goes to celtic or Rangers he can go **** himself, hope he rots on their bench.

Nelly Terraces

Anyone know how much I’d get selling an important internal organ to help keep the Shanks goal machine at the club? Seriously considering it. :D

chrisyboy7
24 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If he goes to celtic or Rangers he can go **** himself, hope he rots on their bench.

He's in his prime now...whoever wants him will want him this summer

Fxxx the SPFL

This is all hypothetical but say in the summer a championship club offers £3m and the Orcs offer £2m Shanks could tell Hearts I’m not going to the championship that then makes the situation awkward for us and him. Two options we say to Shanks we’re not accepting their offer and just make him play out his remaining 12 months. Or we sell him to the Orcs. That’s if he is desperate to play for them as has been made out by the weegie mafia.

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

Selkirkhmfc1874
7 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

This is all hypothetical but say in the summer a championship club offers £3m and the Orcs offer £2m Shanks could tell Hearts I’m not going to the championship that then makes the situation awkward for us and him. Two options we say to Shanks we’re not accepting their offer and just make him play out his remaining 12 months. Or we sell him to the Orcs. That’s if he is desperate to play for them as has been made out by the weegie mafia.

In that situation the club just stay strong and say you're staying then 

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

In that situation the club just stay strong and say you're staying then 

We might stay strong at £1.5-£2m, but if rangers bid  say £2-£3m and he wants to go we won't force him to stay.

It would likley be detrimental to everything we've built up and cause major issues.

Shankland hasn't indicated he's desperate to leave and no clubs have bid for him, but I really dont see Hearts forcing a player to stay if he wants to go and has stated that and we have a " reasonable " bid fir him.

The club will look at the bigger picture in that case.

Bit shit if that plays out tho.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We might stay strong at £1.5-£2m, but if rangers bid  say £2-£3m and he wants to go we won't force him to stay.

It would likley be detrimental to everything we've built up and cause major issues.

Shankland hasn't indicated he's desperate to leave and no clubs have bid for him, but I really dont see Hearts forcing a player to stay if he wants to go and has stated that and we have a " reasonable " bid fir him.

The club will look at the bigger picture in that case.

Bit shit if that plays out tho.

If any club bids £1 million more than Rangers a can't see anyway the club would back down to Shankland wanting to go to Rangers 

15 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Saudi still his best bet. 👌 

If you're going to sell your soul, you might as well cut to the core.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

If any club bids £1 million more than Rangers a can't see anyway the club would back down to Shankland wanting to go to Rangers 

Disagree,  we won't force a move on a player.

I think that's against our transfer ethos and would have bigger implications for players extending in the future and signing players. 

Ranger's ofc  would need to bid a reasonable amount,  but we really won't force a player to stay or move to a club he doesn't want to go to.

There is no benefit to that at all.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Selkirkhmfc1874
7 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Disagree,  we won't force a move on a player.

I think that's against our transfer ethos and would have bigger implications for players extending in the future and signing players. 

Ranger's ofc  would need to bid a reasonable amount,  but we really won't force a player to stay or move to a club he doesn't want to go to.

There is no benefit to that at all.

Agree to disagree buddy , you genuinely think Hearts would sell to Rangers for £1 million less than another club offered ?

jambo mark
20 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Correct. We won’t force the other move on him, but it’d be a case of saying - “Looks Shanks, they under value you. Other clubs think you’re worth more than them. If they really really wanted you, they’d pony up the market value”

Fozzyonthefence
46 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

There is not a cat in hell’s chance that Hearts are going to accept £2m if other clubs are offering £3m!  Do we just roll over and accept our place as the Huns feeder club?

Of course it is very possible that Clement has no interest in him anyway (could work in our favour too that Miovski is 4 years younger and more pace, although not sure the Huns can afford him).

pettigrewsstylist

In all honesty we do not know his value as we can only sell during transfer windows. We knew his value to us during last one. His value during the next one will depend on

-His club form and how heavily reliant upon him we remain for league placing.

-His performance, if any, at EURO 24.

- ECL set up for 2025-26 qualification and wether access to group stage ££s is a possibility for 3rd place finish.

We will need to do sums again once those facts are reviewed in summer. Its his worth to our income that wil drive the figure.

Of course, if he decides he is unhappy and wants move then board has a decision to make. Im sure recent talks will have them establishing and gauging the likeliehood of that.

Recruitments biggest challenge is finding a way to mitigate this without actually being able to solve it until worst case scenario unfolds.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Agree to disagree buddy , you genuinely think Hearts would sell to Rangers for £1 million less than another club offered ?

No we won’t.  But also we can’t make a player sign for a club.  Both parties have to agree to a transfer.

jambo mark

The other thing Shanks has to consider is, if one of the old firm won’t pony up the cash we want for him, they won’t sit with a gap in their squad for him for a year. The mutants will demand success that year. They’ll look elsewhere and bring someone else in. 

Potentially that signing might fire in 20-30 goals and there is no longer a need for him ….

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

If the bid is about £2.5/£3m- yes.

We won't force a move on him and if he states he wants to leave if that sort of bid comes in we would let him leave imo, the medium- long term effects on the club having a Shankland that is known to be wanting to go to Rangers for an entire season is just not worth thinking about.

If ranger's bid £500k, no.

CloustonHMFC
4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We won't force a move on him and if he states he wants to leave if that sort of bid comes in we would let him leave imo, the medium- long term effects on the club having a Shankland that is known to be wanting to go to Rangers for an entire season is just not worth thinking about.

There is zero chance we are accepting any bids of 3mil in the summer, regardless of contract situation.

Monsieur Maroon

Players seem to put a lot of stock into being wanted by a club or a manager. It seems Clement doesn’t fancy Shankland in his Rangers vision. Now even if it was your boyhood team, would you really want to join that over another club that does want you and is paying you similar?

Selkirkhmfc1874
23 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

No we won’t.  But also we can’t make a player sign for a club.  Both parties have to agree to a transfer.

A never said they would make him sign for another club ! If you look back at my first response I said in that situation the club would just keep him rather than sell for a million quid less

Selkirkhmfc1874
16 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Agree to disagree but time will tell a guess

The other thing you need to take account of is his intangible value. 

It's all very well, totting up the potential European prize money that his presence in the squad brings, but you need to also include increased likelihood of cup success and general feelgood around the Club, which in itself leads to greater income / FoH contributions, etc. 

It's very difficult to put a value on the ill-will that selling him for anything under (IMO) £5m would generate, particularly if it's to a Club in Glasgow. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Forrest said:

The other thing you need to take account of is his intangible value. 

It's all very well, totting up the potential European prize money that his presence in the squad brings, but you need to also include increased likelihood of cup success and general feelgood around the Club, which in itself leads to greater income / FoH contributions, etc. 

It's very difficult to put a value on the ill-will that selling him for anything under (IMO) £5m would generate, particularly if it's to a Club in Glasgow. 

All that intangible stuff goes out the window if he makes it clear he wants to leave.

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

All that intangible stuff goes out the window if he makes it clear he wants to leave.

I'm not sure it does to be honest - it didn't with Souttar. 

"If you want to go to the Club Formerly Known as Rangers, fine, but you go at the end of your contract." 

He's a professional footballer, and he'll still score goals. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Forrest said:

I'm not sure it does to be honest - it didn't with Souttar. 

"If you want to go to the Club Formerly Known as Rangers, fine, but you go at the end of your contract." 

He's a professional footballer, and he'll still score goals. 

Souttar didn't have the influence you stated above and there was a reaction to Souttar.

Souttar was also happy to see his contract out.

I'm giving the scenario that Shankland wants to move,  makes it clear he wants to move and we are knocking back bids of around £2.5m ti a club he wants to move to.

That is different to Souttar.

If he's happy then there is no issue.

No Idle Talk

I have heard that Hearts offered him £12,000 a week. Anyone else heard that?

If true, I cannot criticise the club if he leaves. I think the club have pushed the boat out and made a very good offer in that scenario. Hopefully Shankland will sign. It would be gutting to lose him.

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I don't think the club will want to sell him but if there is a decent bid and he makes it clear he wants to go then I think we'll sell him.

For example,  we won't knock back a bid of around £3m if he has stated he wants to leave us.

Imo, in the summer with a year left, a pre contract available in 6 months , his age and ofc if he says he wants to go we won't be getting the bids of £5m +.

Why would we sell him for £3million in the summer when he can secure us upwards of £5million in prize money. That makes zero business sense. 

1874robbo
24 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

If true, I cannot criticise the club if he leaves. I think the club have pushed the boat out and made a very good offer in that scenario. Hopefully Shankland will sign. It would be gutting to lose him.

16 was the figure I heard 

Selkirkhmfc1874
42 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

No idea the figures but I'm certain the club will have offered a very good contract 

Heart of Darkness
4 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Anyone know how much I’d get selling an important internal organ to help keep the Shanks goal machine at the club? Seriously considering it. :D

Your internal organs will be ****ed after 40 odd years of lager Nelly m8.

Your heart and legs are still pretty decent but you'll need them for running!! 😉

Nelly Terraces
7 minutes ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Your internal organs will be ****ed after 40 odd years of lager Nelly m8.

Your heart and legs are still pretty decent but you'll need them for running!! 😉

Haha, glad to say the last function test I had said my liver & kidneys are all tip top. My favourite drink is coffee, can't get enough of the magic bean juice! 

Anyway, Shanks, in the words of Yazoo - Don't Go!

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Why would we sell him for £3million in the summer when he can secure us upwards of £5million in prize money. That makes zero business sense. 

Simple answer- Because the player has asked to move and is no longer happy .

Why do folk keep missing this?

Atm Shankland is happy, Hearts are happy.

The problem arises if a club bids, we reject but Shankland wants to move and feels the bid is fair.

He also doesn't secure anything.  We could finish 4th with him or win cups and finish 3rd without him- whisper it.... this has happened.

It could be argued that it makes sense  for a business to cash in, especially if the player wishes to leave rather than him walk away for £0 , 12 months later.

That makes zero business sense.

Italian Lambretta
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Exactly we will never find or be able to afford another striker that’s score as many goals as Shankland.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Exactly we will never find or be able to afford another striker that’s score as many goals as Shankland.

If he doesn't extend you are just pushing the problem back 12 months and if he runs down his contract we have less money to replace him.

13 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If he doesn't extend you are just pushing the problem back 12 months and if he runs down his contract we have less money to replace him.

**** the 3 million. 🤣 That’s not going to replace him. We won’t be getting the full transfer fee to replace him with too.
Rather have another 12 months of watching him play. 

3 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

**** the 3 million. 🤣 That’s not going to replace him. We won’t be getting the full transfer fee to replace him with too.

Yip

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

SO would I

But, If Shankland wants to move for more moneyIand we block the move -I doubt he'll share that view. 

In the summer it's all about Shankland- Assuming there is a reasonable bid and he wants to move.

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

SO would I

But, If Shankland wants to move for more moneyIand we block the move -I doubt he'll share that view. 

In the summer it's all about Shankland- Assuming there is a reasonable bid and he wants to move.

A reasonable bid isn’t 3 million. 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

A reasonable bid isn’t 3 million. 

In the scenerio of Last year of contract, aged 29, player not extending and wanting to leave- I think it is.

No one is bidding the £5m+ when he can sign a pre-contract 6 months later.( saudi club apart)

As I said I think Shankland is the key and how he reacts  to the club knocking back bids if they arrive  and making him see out his last year.

If he's happy to see out his contract, earn less, play at a lower level etc then all is well.

In the scenario where a club bids around £3m in the summer and he wants to leave I think there's going to be a lot of angry people on here!

It might even be less than £3m if he wants to leave, £3m in my scenario is a push.

19 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

In the scenerio of Last year of contract, aged 29, player not extending and wanting to leave- I think it is.

No one is bidding the £5m+ when he can sign a pre-contract 6 months later.( saudi club apart)

As I said I think Shankland is the key and how he reacts  to the club knocking back bids if they arrive  and making him see out his last year.

If he's happy to see out his contract, earn less, play at a lower level etc then all is well.

In the scenario where a club bids around £3m in the summer and he wants to leave I think there's going to be a lot of angry people on here!

It might even be less than £3m if he wants to leave, £3m in my scenario is a push.

Then he leaves on a free next summer . He’s worth more to us than some piddly amount . Thankfully Hearts seem to to understand this 

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Then he leaves on a free next summer . He’s worth more to us than some piddly amount . Thankfully Hearts seem to to understand this 

That makes no sense tbh.

How do Heaets understand this?

It's not the summer,  there has been no bids and Shankland is happy atm.

Heart of Darkness
3 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Haha, glad to say the last function test I had said my liver & kidneys are all tip top. My favourite drink is coffee, can't get enough of the magic bean juice! 

Anyway, Shanks, in the words of Yazoo - Don't Go!

Good to hear m8!! ♥️

jambo mark

Who was the last non old firm player to score 20 goals in back to back seasons? Was it Robbo?

Think Gary Hooper did it in 10/11 and 11/12 for Celtic.

Have only looked back this century …

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

SO would I

You don't want to play a terribly unhappy player, but footballers also know the drill. If he's under contract for us, we're not going to take a substandard offer for him just for him to get a 25% pay rise. He only has to wait a year and he can go where he wants.

There are prima donna footballers who will throw a fit and sit out or down tools, but Shanks very much does not seem like one of those. I agree that he should have some say in where he goes, but contracts are also contracts. If we say, HE'S NOT FOR SALE! Shanks could get mad. I think he understands the business well enough to understand us holding our for £4m in the summer.

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

You don't want to play a terribly unhappy player, but footballers also know the drill. If he's under contract for us, we're not going to take a substandard offer for him just for him to get a 25% pay rise. He only has to wait a year and he can go where he wants.

There are prima donna footballers who will throw a fit and sit out or down tools, but Shanks very much does not seem like one of those. I agree that he should have some say in where he goes, but contracts are also contracts. If we say, HE'S NOT FOR SALE! Shanks could get mad. I think he understands the business well enough to understand us holding our for £4m in the summer.

Hopefully he signs an extension. 

I do feel fees of £4/£5m are ambitious when he could sign a pre contract 6 months later.

I don't see a club bidding that sort of cash for him, but if a club does then it's a win/win for everyone. 

I say £3m, you are saying £4m- tbh that's just details, if a reasonable bid comes in and he wants to go - I think we sell. You say £4m, I say £3m some are saying £5m +.

The point is the same, Shankland imo will have a big say on what happens, the club won't dismiss his feelings.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)