Closing the gap

Ked

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Another way of looking at this.

Is closing the gap actually worth it? The club don’t get any more money for finishing 3rd 40 points behind second place than they would if they finished 4 points behind second.

Of course from an enjoyment perspective it would be brilliant and exciting to push the OF all the way but the reality is to do that would cost a ton of cash. Cash we currently don’t have and won’t for the foreseeable.

Increasing our wage structure and perhaps breaking the £10k a week player bracket may see us pull further away from 4th but isn’t doing that effectively a waste of time and money?

Would we not be better banking cash generated from Euro jaunts until such time as we have a significant “war chest” and then go for it?

Its all fair points. Good post.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Naisys Tackle

• Bozi

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If we dont make progress even whilst finishing 3rd he will be replaced eventually. 

Ofc he will, why not wait until then before discussing it, rather than plotting reasons to remove our manager that has brought us 1st, 3rd on for 3rd again and as been a baw hair from a cup win.

That was on top of a 1st, 3rd and left us in 2nd/3rd in his first spell.

Be daft to give all that up just because he's not gained a point on the OF.

Be utterly ridiculous tbh.

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Ofc he will, why not wait until then before discussing it, rather than plotting reasons to remove our manager that has brought us 1st, 3rd on for 3rd again and as been a baw hair from a cup win.

Folk are allowed to discuss what may happen in the future on a message board. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Never said they weren't. 

Just Seems a bit daft.

Luckies1874
6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Never said they weren't. 

Just Seems a bit daft.

Say we didn’t finish 3rd this year what do you think the repercussions should be (if any)?  Curious as to the importance you place on it. I think we will and have felt that all season, for which RN will deserve significant praise, but equally if the next couple of months went tits up it would be a monumental **** up and I’d want change. It’s a fine line that is being trodden right now which makes Saturday very important given our away form. The 3 home league games before the split are big big matches as we should be continuing the excellent run of Tynecastle results and getting 9 points. 

Edited by Luckies1874

davemclaren

Personally, I think 'increasing the gap' is a more useful measure as it reflects how well we are doing in our peer group. 

Maybe another thread though. 🤣

26 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

And if we're only allowed to talk about the present then right now we haven't been good enough.

Completely bizarre to assert that we shouldn't discuss anything in the future.

gorgierulesapply88
On 01/03/2023 at 02:15, Rampant said:

I'm guessing not as much as the guy who coached that player to be a 21 goal striker.

Shankland was already more than capable of being a 20+ striker long before poodle.

Boyce had scored 16, and he got dropped deeper too. It's like he(neilson) doesn't like scoring goals. Only to stop them going in.

2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Say we didn’t finish 3rd this year what do you think the repercussions should be (if any)?  Curious as to the importance you place on it. I think we will and have felt that all season, for which RN will deserve significant praise, but equally if the next couple of months went tits up it would be a monumental **** up and I’d want change. It’s a fine line that is being trodden right now which makes Saturday very important given our away form. The 3 home league games before the split are big big matches as we should be continuing the excellent run of Tynecastle results and getting 9 points. 

The thing is this. It's all speculation which is fair enough, but the 'debate' inevitably descends into the vortex of stupidity whereby some folks see fit to go batshit crazy and look for any opportunity to stick the boot in.

What's more, some posters do seem to set up ever more desperate parameters for failure (which alter depending upon even the results/performance in particular matches) and barely disguise their lack of balance. Most 'rotten' games I've witnessed this season have had passages of brilliant play with the result hinging on either poor individual mistakes or woeful finishing.

As mind-sets go, you only have to see one of our own get castigated as being a cretin, or the constant re-arrangements of the goal-posts (e.g. it goes from Robbie's never won a game at Fester to Robbie's never won a league game at Fester); or the never ending search for someone to boo at with comments being extreme (e.g. Halliday is dross - aye SO dross that he scores a brace in a derby!).

Agreed, though; our upcoming home matches really are very important. The fact is that all of our games are big ones for us given the fact that other teams ain't gonna just roll over and we've had our fair share of issues to contend with (as have other teams).

Remember, at the season start the consensus was that if we were in touching distance of 3rd post-Euro, then fine.

That transpired and we went on to gain 3rd in spite of those who predicted that we wouldn't.

As things stand, it's tighter than I'd like, but one poster has highlighted the respective matches until the split as regards us vis-a-vis our challengers for 3rd, and I'd be very surprised should any of them gain on us.

Having said that, it's down to us to do the business, 

9 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Shankland was already more than capable of being a 20+ striker long before poodle.

Boyce had scored 16, and he got dropped deeper too. It's like he(neilson) doesn't like scoring goals. Only to stop them going in.

As a matter of interest, why do you find it necessary to chuck in an epithet aimed at our manager?

Seriously. Apart from your inability to spell 'phoodle', all you are doing is highlighting your lack of balance.

Ps ... you might like to brush up on number of goals scored etc. seeing as your daft comment of "... doesn't like scoring goals" simply does not bear any resemblance to reality.

Edited by Wee Mikey

gorgierulesapply88
2 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

As a matter of interest, why do you find it necessary to chuck in an epithet aimed at our manager?

Seriously. Apart from your inability to spell 'phoodle', all you are doing is highlighting your lack of balance.

Ps ... you might like to brush up on number of goals scored etc. seeing as your daft comment of "... doesn't like scoring goals" simply does not bear any resemblance to reality.

Sorry I forgot the H.

We have a penalty box striker in Shankland who isn't being used to the best of his ability. And we have a player in Mckay who isn't playing well or hasn't for some time. Drop him, get the ball wide and work on the phases of play you see most teams including Hearts work on in training in matches.

Bazzas right boot
59 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Unsure, but the debate would have more merit and some substance than it's had since Brora.

Right now, it's just folk taking the opportunity to have pot shots and play out their wet dream they've been replaying in their head since he was appointed,  or even longer.

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Why haven't you mentioned any of this before?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Chimp said:

And if we're only allowed to talk about the present then right now we haven't been good enough.

Completely bizarre to assert that we shouldn't discuss anything in the future.

Absolutely 

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

The game at Celtic Park they scored early and we caused to threat to equalising at all.  They never got out of second gear and utterly strolled the game.  That isn't close to drawing.

Same with Ibrox.  Played like a wee team with threat containing and no answer when they scored with a quarter of the game to go.  They aren't games we are close to drawing, they are just games we never got hammered in even if the scoreline flattered us.

The point of the game is to score goals. The game at Celtic park we missed a couple of chances to square to an open attacker that could have resulted in a goal. You get that goal and hold tight, it's a draw, even if we were shit most of the game.

That's how most SPFL teams take points off of the OF. Not aiming at you but I'm really sick of the JKB litany of, "don't sit deep, just have a go!" and then complaining that other SPFL teams seem to be able to take points off the OF, which they do by sitting deep.

I can't remember if it's this thread or another that we got into discussing Celtic managers and someone mentioned Lenny's win over Barcelona, which was a master class in sitting deep, soaking up pressure, and taking their chances when they got them.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

To me it very much depends on where we end up and how we lose third. If we drop to fourth or even fifth by looking rancid for months and letting a middling team sneak past us, that's time for serious questions because it can be an indication that the squad have started to tune out the manager.

If we do reasonably well but some team catches lightning in a bottle and wins 9 out of the last 12 games or something, and we still end up fourth, that's far from ideal but not sackable.

Naisys Tackle
21 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

The point of the game is to score goals. The game at Celtic park we missed a couple of chances to square to an open attacker that could have resulted in a goal. You get that goal and hold tight, it's a draw, even if we were shit most of the game.

That's how most SPFL teams take points off of the OF. Not aiming at you but I'm really sick of the JKB litany of, "don't sit deep, just have a go!" and then complaining that other SPFL teams seem to be able to take points off the OF, which they do by sitting deep.

I can't remember if it's this thread or another that we got into discussing Celtic managers and someone mentioned Lenny's win over Barcelona, which was a master class in sitting deep, soaking up pressure, and taking their chances when they got them.

Fair enough buddy we see things differently of course but respect your opinion regardless.   

Sitting deeps fine with me, it the lack of reaction at times when we go a goal down that annoys me. 

It would help close the gap/ extended the gap if we played anywhere near our potential. How many times this season can we say with our better players we actually played well. Not many. 

No point spending tens of thousands on players if they don't get out of second gear 

Watt-Zeefuik
18 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Fair enough buddy we see things differently of course but respect your opinion regardless.   

Sitting deeps fine with me, it the lack of reaction at times when we go a goal down that annoys me. 

And I see that, that's totally legit. There's any number of ways to point out, entirely correctly as you have, that there's ways we could improve against the OF without going completely OTT and pretending we've dropped to our worst standing in decades against them (as the other poster did that started this whole reply chain).

Naisys Tackle
15 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

And I see that, that's totally legit. There's any number of ways to point out, entirely correctly as you have, that there's ways we could improve against the OF without going completely OTT and pretending we've dropped to our worst standing in decades against them (as the other poster did that started this whole reply chain).

👍 good man.

34 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

It would help close the gap/ extended the gap if we played anywhere near our potential. How many times this season can we say with our better players we actually played well. Not many. 

No point spending tens of thousands on players if they don't get out of second gear 

A good point.  We are at our best when we play quickly and incisively.  However in too many games this season our play has been frustratingly slow and almost static, which now plays into the hands of the opposition, who suss us.

3 hours ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

That will be why he was left to bang them in at Ayr in the lower leagues.  It was poodle that took him to Dundee United, at which point he garnered international recognition and bigger leagues started to be convinced he could be so prolific in the top flight.

And let's ignore that Boyce dropped deeper to play creator after we signed Simms who instead led the line, caused problems in attack and scored goals.  Shankland dropped deeper to accommodate Ginelly playing centrally up top which caused teams all kinds of problems and Shankland continued to score goals but now so was Gino.

But sure, these decisions to drop strikers who are very capable of playing a 10 role into a 10 role whilst replacing them at 9 with players proven to be capable of playing a 9 role, was a decision to make us more defensively minded. 

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

He already was a 20+ goal striker.  He was almost a goal per game at Ayr and better than a goal every 2 games at Dundee Utd. 

Luckies1874
3 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

To me it very much depends on where we end up and how we lose third. If we drop to fourth or even fifth by looking rancid for months and letting a middling team sneak past us, that's time for serious questions because it can be an indication that the squad have started to tune out the manager.

If we do reasonably well but some team catches lightning in a bottle and wins 9 out of the last 12 games or something, and we still end up fourth, that's far from ideal but not sackable.

I think that's a reasonable take but I think we both know there is no team that is winning 9 games out of their last 12 who currently sit below us. It will be Hearts having a horrible run of say winning 3 in 12 (or something similar) that is the only way we will be overtaken by a mediocre side. 

Watt-Zeefuik
32 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

I think that's a reasonable take but I think we both know there is no team that is winning 9 games out of their last 12 who currently sit below us. It will be Hearts having a horrible run of say winning 3 in 12 (or something similar) that is the only way we will be overtaken by a mediocre side. 

I try to be very skeptical of what I know for sure in football. It's rightly standard operating procedure around here to piss on Hibs and their Napoleanic Complex manager, but that's a side that got a lot of money dumped into it and they could go on a jammy run just from some dumb luck, some diving, and some players coming back from injury. Aberdeen are also rather expensive collection of players that could, with a new manager bounce, muster out a fine run of results. I absolutely do not expect this to happen, but very weird stuff happens in football. We have a bunch of away games coming up where we haven't thrived, so to me if we only manage a middling but not awful run and one of those two catch a bit of fire there's a risk we get pipped for third.

We are still the very clear odds-on favorites for third and well should be, but I'm a former system administrator and spent a lot of my career getting paid to imagine the worst case scenarios and plan for them.

I've said elsewhere, Neilson's sides have quite a lot of history for having wretched Februarys followed by robust Marches and Aprils, so just on that history I expect us to start picking up full points in several of the upcoming away dates. But I'm not counting chickens yet.

14 hours ago, Bozi said:

Except it really hasn't, please see post above 

The thing is Hibs are all excited because they went a month undefeated in February, the reality is they played 2 games, yes they haven't lost in the league since we beat them 3-0 at Tynecastle but they have played 3 of the bottom 4 and an Aberdeen that had chucked it 

I was referring to gap compared to last year. Last stats I saw we had one point less than we did this time last year but Hibs Aberdeen and Livi were all on improved totals from last year's. People can talk about next level and gap's all they want. Playing the way we have been since Christmas will get us nowhere in the long term despite some lucky results. 

11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

If we dont make progress even whilst finishing 3rd he will be replaced eventually. 

To be replaced by somebody else who will deliver 3rd? What's the point in that? Progress from here would be finishing above 3rd, and that's not going to happen no matter who the manager is.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, hisnameis said:

I was referring to gap compared to last year. Last stats I saw we had one point less than we did this time last year but Hibs Aberdeen and Livi were all on improved totals from last year's. People can talk about next level and gap's all they want. Playing the way we have been since Christmas will get us nowhere in the long term despite some lucky results. 

Since Christmas we've beaten our two nearest rival clubs 11-0 over three games. I know we've had some bad form but there were spells there where we played really, really well.

17 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

On our current form I reckon any rival winning 6 out of 12 will finish above us. 

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

On our current form I reckon any rival winning 6 out of 12 will finish above us. 

There is not much point in you bothering going to games with your attitude.

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

There is not much point in you bothering going to games with your attitude.

Been going for 50 years, most of it more in hope than expectation. You’d agree we’ll probably need to improve a bit to keep 3rd would you ?

Luckies1874
On 27/02/2023 at 21:16, Robbies Tackle said:

Did Dundee Utd not get AZ this season?  No idea how the seedings work.  We should have at home with our first half performance yeah and took advantage of them not even being at home the 1st leg.

He still has us as predicted Europa Group stage participants as things stand …….some tasty opposition 

Naisys Tackle
37 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

He still has us as predicted Europa Group stage participants as things stand …….some tasty opposition 

Cheers.  That's reassuring.  We would have to win the play off to make the EL groups presumably?

14 hours ago, hisnameis said:

The gap from last season, as I posted, our form since November and the end of the European games is far superior to Hibs, Aberdeen, Livi and St Mirren, given everything we have faced this year to be one point off where we were is pretty good going. 

Hibs and Aberdeen both invested heavily, they have improved a bit but we can't control what these teams do, only our own form and as I said, over the last 4 months our form and points is much better than all the other 4 

12 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Since Christmas we've beaten our two nearest rival clubs 11-0 over three games. I know we've had some bad form but there were spells there where we played really, really well.

We can only keep pointing out these facts, even when the goalposts then get changed. 

2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

The only gap I’m worried about is 4th to 3rd……

Have you seen Hibs next 3 games? Think we might be seeing a Hibsplosion again soon 

8 minutes ago, Bozi said:

The gap from last season, as I posted, our form since November and the end of the European games is far superior to Hibs, Aberdeen, Livi and St Mirren, given everything we have faced this year to be one point off where we were is pretty good going. 

Hibs and Aberdeen both invested heavily, they have improved a bit but we can't control what these teams do, only our own form and as I said, over the last 4 months our form and points is much better than all the other 4 

We can only keep pointing out these facts, even when the goalposts then get changed. 

Have you seen Hibs next 3 games? Think we might be seeing a Hibsplosion again soon 

Have you seen our next 3 games after Saturday?

Celtic A

Aberdeen A

Killie A

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Celtic A

Aberdeen A

Killie A

Hibs have 

Livi away 

Rangers home 

Celtic away 

Which fixtures would you rather have? 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Celtic A

Aberdeen A

Killie A

I have yet to see a reason to be worried about Aberdeen in their current state. Yes, at some point they'll actually hire a manager and that person might get a song out of them.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Bozi said:

Hibs have 

Livi away 

Rangers home 

Celtic away 

Which fixtures would you rather have? 

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

I have yet to see a reason to be worried about Aberdeen in their current state. Yes, at some point they'll actually hire a manager and that person might get a song out of them.

The question is-

Who would you rather be going into these set of games, the answer is Hearts.

Folk shitting it from hibs..

:vrface:

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Home record this season almost exactly the same as ours and we’ve not won there for donkeys. Aye just send us the points right now and save us the petrol money

Absolutely vital that we win this weekend and Hibs don’t IMO

Edited by JimmyCant

Hope we go into the final game of the season needing a point to secure 3rd.

Love a bit of drama.

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

The question is-

Who would you rather be going into these set of games, the answer is Hearts.

Folk shitting it from hibs..

:vrface:

And despite me showing, quite clearly, that since November we have gained 25 points to their 19 and a positive goal difference of 9 to their -4 goal difference in that period...

It's like folk have entrenched themselves into a position so heavily that everytime you point out the facts (Hibs are Shite and aren't catching us) they just come back with the same argument over and over again.

If we keep the current level of form we have shown over the last 4 months we will finish comfortable in 3rd and yes, at times the performances could be better but I would rather play poorly and grind out wins than play flair football and lose 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Bozi said:

And despite me showing, quite clearly, that since November we have gained 25 points to their 19 and a positive goal difference of 9 to their -4 goal difference in that period...

It's like folk have entrenched themselves into a position so heavily that everytime you point out the facts (Hibs are Shite and aren't catching us) they just come back with the same argument over and over again.

If we keep the current level of form we have shown over the last 4 months we will finish comfortable in 3rd and yes, at times the performances could be better but I would rather play poorly and grind out wins than play flair football and lose 

At the start of the season lots of folk, if not most of the posters moaning anticipated a closer fight for 3rd as well, now that it is tighter ( atm) they are concerned and seem to be surprised. 

Same happened last season,  folk that said we'd struggle to finish even in the top 6 were left unhappy.

Now the narrative is we're 3rd despite Bob and it's not good enough unless we gain on Rangers.

This means when we do finish 3rd ( again) they'll say we're not progressing. 

Absolute fan dangs, transparent as hell.

Just lineing up their ducks to continue their agenda. 

Keeps jkb going tho.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Its amusing reading threads like this where not being 20 points ahead and pretty much having nothing to play for is a stick to beat the club with.

This attitude is exactly why everyone despises the bigots.

"We dont want the bigots in our league" they shout. "We want a competitive league" they scream.

Doesn't seem like that to me, seems like a fair few on here just want us to become the new dominant bullys, trampling over everything and winning by foul or fair means.

I'd hate to be like that.

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

At the start of the season lots of folk, if not most of the posters moaning anticipated a closer fight for 3rd as well, now that it is tighter ( atm) they are concerned and seem to be surprised. 

Same happened last season,  folk that said we'd struggle to finish even in the top 6 were left unhappy.

Now the narrative is we're 3rd despite Bob and it's not good enough unless we gain on Rangers.

This means when we do finish 3rd ( again) they'll say we're not progressing. 

Absolute fan dangs, transparent as he'll.

Just lineing up their ducks to continue their agenda. 

Keeps jkb going tho.

Hard to disagree with any of that 😂😂

My favourite part was when Aberdeen were throwing cash around like a drunken rigman on shore leave and Hibs were dropping their knickers at every agent that approached the cow shed and folk were moaning that they were spending big and we were "standing still"

Now the same folk are stating that our squad and spend is maaaaahhoooosive compared to our competitors (it isn't yet) and should be miles ahead of every team outwith the old firm.

We are building something, it will take a few years but right now should be a great time to be a Jambo...but misery enjoys company 

10 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Hard to disagree with any of that 😂😂

My favourite part was when Aberdeen were throwing cash around like a drunken rigman on shore leave and Hibs were dropping their knickers at every agent that approached the cow shed and folk were moaning that they were spending big and we were "standing still"

Now the same folk are stating that our squad and spend is maaaaahhoooosive compared to our competitors (it isn't yet) and should be miles ahead of every team outwith the old firm.

We are building something, it will take a few years but right now should be a great time to be a Jambo...but misery enjoys company 

Bozi I'm not advocati g to be miles better than any team out with the old firm.but we yet again go back to the fact that we've not been playing well for a while  now.and all I ask is we start on the front foot for a wee change and take the game to the opposition .

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Home record this season almost exactly the same as ours and we’ve not won there for donkeys. Aye just send us the points right now and save us the petrol money

Absolutely vital that we win this weekend and Hibs don’t IMO

Um........

7 hours ago, Thomaso said:

The only gap I’m worried about is 4th to 3rd……

The only gap I'm worried about is if the stadium announcer plays this classic. 🤭

Mind you, 'The Gorgie' could always adopt it for, say, Kuol:-

🎵🎶🎵

Young Kuol, get outta my mind,

My love for you is way outta line,

Better run Kuol,

You're much too young Kuol.

🎵🎶🎵

13 minutes ago, Kev1998 said:

Bozi I'm not advocati g to be miles better than any team out with the old firm.but we yet again go back to the fact that we've not been playing well for a while  now.and all I ask is we start on the front foot for a wee change and take the game to the opposition .

Thats just clichéd nonsense though.

The last game we played away to Motherwell we started excellently, kept possession and created chances, then fell apart and they gained confidence and comfortablely won the game.

"Starting on the front foot" ???

What does that gibberish even mean ?