The Rangers price fixing

Dick Dastardly

That club never cease to bite the hand that feeds them eh?

Β 

Couple of mates of mine who support that lot are becoming increasingly tired of the way they're run. Constant money making schemes that they know the fans will stump up for. They think the board are the problem, I say its the fans. Stop giving the board your money for these very things, and they'll maybe take notice.

Ashley will have tipped off the authorities after losing out on the merchandise deal ......................... he and JD Sports have a history too because when he first arrived on the scene JD and JBB thought he was wet behind the ears and tried to let him in on their price fixing but he turned on them and landed them in it before going on to dominate the market

Just now, Sooks said:

Ashley will have tipped off the authorities after losing out on the merchandise deal ......................... he and JD Sports have a history too because when he first arrived on the scene JD and JBB thought he was wet behind the ears and tried to let him in on their price fixing but he turned on them and landed them in it before going on to dominate the market

Sorry I meant JJB Sports not JBB

Can someone break down what it is they actually done to fix the prices?

Β 

Football shirts are expensive as **** anyway, and we don't even have it as bad as some of the English teams that release a replica shirt, a player fit shirt, and a "premium" one which are a different fabric altogether. Some of them cost upwards of Β£100.

Β 

Spurs want Β£115 for their "elite" shirt for this season:Β Β https://shop.tottenhamhotspur.com/product/adult-elite-tottenham-hotspur-home-shirt-2022-23/emhss22

Β 

As fun as it is to jump on the Rangers bandwagon, what is it they've done?Β 

Β 

Β 

Footballfirst
14 minutes ago, tian447 said:

They, along with Elite, made an agreement with JD that the latter would not undercut the price at which kit was sold by Elite via their online store.Β  It was something like a mark-up of 10%.Β  Both Elite and JD appear to have admitted to the competition authorities that there was such an agreement.

Β 

JD are making a provision of Β£2m in their accounts for any fine levied and their legal costs.Β 

Edited by Footballfirst

7 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Β 

Football shirts are expensive as **** anyway, and we don't even have it as bad as some of the English teams that release a replica shirt, a player fit shirt, and a "premium" one which are a different fabric altogether. Some of them cost upwards of Β£100.

Β 

Spurs want Β£115 for their "elite" shirt for this season:Β Β https://shop.tottenhamhotspur.com/product/adult-elite-tottenham-hotspur-home-shirt-2022-23/emhss22

Β 

Β 

Β 

I believe they've conspired with the other companies to ensure nobody is out of pocket, which I guess is against trading standards.

Β 

Rangers allow shops like JD to sell their merchandise, but ultimately, JD could undercut Rangers club shop prices by a tenner a shirt if they wanted to. Instead, it seems as though Rangers and JD have colluded to set a fixed price that both parties sell the shirt for, ensuring that neither outdoes the other.

Β 

I'm by no means an expert on these things though so I could have that wrong.

Footballfirst

The conspiracy theories have started among TRFC fans. The SPFL chairman, Murdoch MacLennan, who has links to Dermot Desmond, just happens to be a non-exec director of the CMA.

Β 

It's all timed to deflect attention from Celtic's court case, apparently.Β :evilno:

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Β£65 for a pair of shorts! FFS…

Β 

Disgusting, isn't it?Β  Have you read the nonsense on the description of them?Β Β 

Β 

Nike's DriFIT ADV fabric is ultra-light and actively wicks sweat and moisture away from the skin to keep you feeling fresher and drier for longer. No matter how hot the weather or how hard you train, these shorts won't let you down, coping with long training sessions or a match that runs into extra time.

Smart enough to be worn off the field too, they are a summer must-have.Β 

I didn't even spend Β£65 on last week's food shop ffs.

The Ultimate Worrier
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The conspiracy theories have started among TRFC fans. The SPFL chairman, Murdoch MacLennan, who has links to Dermot Desmond, just happens to be a non-exec director of the CMA.

Β 

It's all timed to deflect attention from Celtic's court case, apparently.Β :evilno:

Β 

I can never tell which supporters of the two Uglies are the most paranoid.

33 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

They, along with Elite, made an agreement with JD that the latter would not undercut the price at which kit was sold by Elite via their online store.Β  It was something like a mark-up of 10%.Β  Both Elite and JD appear to have admitted to the competition authorities that there was such an agreement.

Β 

JD are making a provision of Β£2m in their accounts for any fine levied and their legal costs.Β 

Β 

33 minutes ago, Locky said:

I believe they've conspired with the other companies to ensure nobody is out of pocket, which I guess is against trading standards.

Β 

Rangers allow shops like JD to sell their merchandise, but ultimately, JD could undercut Rangers club shop prices by a tenner a shirt if they wanted to. Instead, it seems as though Rangers and JD have colluded to set a fixed price that both parties sell the shirt for, ensuring that neither outdoes the other.

Β 

I'm by no means an expert on these things though so I could have that wrong.

Β 

Thanks for the replies.Β  Seems like they were chancing it!

12 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

To be honest i always assumed the cost of football shirts was fixed in some way.

That was my first thought when I seen the thread.

Over-priced crap really.

John Findlay
20 minutes ago, The Ultimate Worrier said:

Β 

I can never tell which supporters of the two Uglies are the most paranoid.

Joint equal.

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, Locky said:

That club never cease to bite the hand that feeds them eh?

Β 

Couple of mates of mine who support that lot are becoming increasingly tired of the way they're run. Constant money making schemes that they know the fans will stump up for. They think the board are the problem, I say its the fans. Stop giving the board your money for these very things, and they'll maybe take notice.

I know a couple of fairly intelligent huns but their brains go out the window when it comes to their support of that lot. I accept that most supporters will have a certain amount of blind faith in their club, but the weegies seem to just accept everything they are told as gospel

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

I didn't really understand it, to be honest, i just love seeing them in bother. The thought of them being fined millions gave me a semiΒ 

OmiyaHearts

Is anyone kind enough to explain what has happened in layman's terms? I read the article but none the wiser.

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/scottish-news/rangers-found-illegally-fixed-price-27164593

Β 

So the horrible hun overlords have been conspiring to fleece their "loyal" fans and are now facing a multi million pound fine. Pleasing πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Β 

Interesting that the JD Sports side are suggesting they conceded fault to get a reduced fine.Β 

Also interesting that Rangers are accused of participating in the behaviour for 4-5 weeks.Β 

Β 

I expect they'll get a modest fine in comparison to JD but then have it reduced on appeal and claim victory.Β 

Dick Dastardly
6 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Β 

Interesting that the JD Sports side are suggesting they conceded fault to get a reduced fine.Β 

Also interesting that Rangers are accused of participating in the behaviour for 4-5 weeks.Β 

Β 

I expect they'll get a modest fine in comparison to JD but then have it reduced on appeal and claim victory.Β 

Public flogging or gtf

40 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I know a couple of fairly intelligent huns but their brains go out the window when it comes to their support of that lot. I accept that most supporters will have a certain amount of blind faith in their club, but the weegies seem to just accept everything they are told as gospel

They have that MyGers membership thing on the go which opts you in for basically all matches and if you don't opt out they'll just take the money from your bank. Apparently they opted all members in for this Harry Styles gig at Ibrox too. :lol:Β 

Β 

Imagine getting fleeced for tickets to a Harry Styles gig by your club.

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Β 

Disgusting, isn't it?Β  Have you read the nonsense on the description of them?Β Β 

Β 

I didn't even spend Β£65 on last week's food shop ffs.

Β 

Aye but bet you were soaking afterwards?

Β 

All sorted by buying them shawts

Edited by Steak

Dick Dastardly
16 minutes ago, Locky said:

They have that MyGers membership thing on the go which opts you in for basically all matches and if you don't opt out they'll just take the money from your bank. Apparently they opted all members in for this Harry Styles gig at Ibrox too. :lol:Β 

Β 

It's a sign of the times

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Β 

Β 

MyGers is a membership scheme that encourages spending in the fear you will lose out. I am also under the impression they also operate on a policy of penalising if you miss games.

Β 

Imagine the loyalty points we get for Hearts then charge to have a membership, offer points for merchandise sales, points for away games, automatic allocation of tickets for away games, automatic charges for tickets and the kicker - you get penalised if you don't use your season ticket.

Β 

I am sure that if you can't attend/scan through you have to give up your seat for resale in return for a few quid (that is held against your membership) and then deducted from next years season ticket. They then sell that ticket for full price.

Β 

Rangers have completely stitched up their fan base to ensure they don't slack with shelling out money. Β 

Bazzas right boot

All the fenians fault.Β 

Taigs are out to get them.Β 

Other teams are jealous.Β 

They are they people, no one likes them, they don't care.Β 

GSTQ.Β 

Β 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, tian447 said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Ffs.Β 

Even the normal top is Β£75.

Β 

Tbh, all fans are mugs.Β 

Totally fleeced.Β 

Β 

Do we really care....Β 

No expert on this, but don’t loads of companies do this or similar. For example, when I last bought an iPhone, no matter where I looked, it was the same price. Β Even online, unless it was some dodgy foreign website.Β 
Β 

Also, many clubs now, like us, only sell shirts from their official store. Β Not fixing in any way, but no competition (which I am OK with, as we get all the money). Β 
Β 

If it has potential to damage them, I am al for it though. Β 

39 minutes ago, Paolo said:

No expert on this, but don’t loads of companies do this or similar. For example, when I last bought an iPhone, no matter where I looked, it was the same price. Β Even online, unless it was some dodgy foreign website.Β 
Β 

Also, many clubs now, like us, only sell shirts from their official store. Β Not fixing in any way, but no competition (which I am OK with, as we get all the money). Β 
Β 

If it has potential to damage them, I am al for it though. Β 

I'm much the same as yourself, but I think the problem with it is that a consumer watchdog has found evidence that all parties conspired for their own gain, and it goes against ethical practices. For your iPhone example, I can only imagine that Apple sell them to companies at a fairly high price leaving little scope for reducing prices. That, and they know people will buy them regardless.

Β 

JD undercutting Rangers for example, could have benefits for them. JD can sell their shirt for say Β£10 cheaper and some customers opt for that, but then see another deal on trainers and buy them on impulse. Rangers club shop doesn't quite have that same pull. True fans would more likely buy the shirts from the club directly, but there's plenty armchair fans across the country who don't live anywhere near the club shop, but do live near a JD, and can buy it there and then rather than online for more money, and wait days for it to arrive.

Β 

As for our club shop, I'm not sure how that works. Several clubs are the only outlet for their own official merchandise. I'd probably guess that it's just the case that no one has approached us to sell them. Sadly, we're not commercially as appealing as the OF to these companies. As an aside, when All:Sports had a shop, did they sell our tops?

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

I'm much the same as yourself, but I think the problem with it is that a consumer watchdog has found evidence that all parties conspired for their own gain, and it goes against ethical practices. For your iPhone example, I can only imagine that Apple sell them to companies at a fairly high price leaving little scope for reducing prices. That, and they know people will buy them regardless.

Β 

JD undercutting Rangers for example, could have benefits for them. JD can sell their shirt for say Β£10 cheaper and some customers opt for that, but then see another deal on trainers and buy them on impulse. Rangers club shop doesn't quite have that same pull. True fans would more likely buy the shirts from the club directly, but there's plenty armchair fans across the country who don't live anywhere near the club shop, but do live near a JD, and can buy it there and then rather than online for more money, and wait days for it to arrive.

Β 

As for our club shop, I'm not sure how that works. Several clubs are the only outlet for their own official merchandise. I'd probably guess that it's just the case that no one has approached us to sell them. Sadly, we're not commercially as appealing as the OF to these companies. As an aside, when All:Sports had a shop, did they sell our tops?

I think some time ago, Pieman chose to sell exclusively from the club shop, and no one has since changed that.Β 

2 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I think some time ago, Pieman chose to sell exclusively from the club shop, and no one has since changed that.Β 

Think I mind reading something along those lines somewhere a while ago. I guess it would need to work for both parties for a 3rd party to get involved and realistically I just don't see any company massively benefitting out of selling our official merchandise.

The price of football strips are a disgrace, the mark up on them must be astronomical. I actually grudge buying my kids them now especially last years home which I didn’t particularly like.

buzzbomb1958
6 hours ago, Sooks said:

He didn’t lose out he got an estimated 10-15 millionΒ 

6 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

He didn’t lose out he got an estimated 10-15 millionΒ 

Β 

He lost the rights to sell them though

Seaside Dave
On 07/06/2022 at 10:04, Sooks said:

Β JD and JBBΒ 

Jjb sports? Those where the days lol remember being a young lad going there every other Saturday morning looking for new boots. One of my mates asked the guy to get him r9 boots and he tried them on in store and back then jjb had wee nets built up for display. Well of course my wee mate thought let's see if the boots are as good as r9 himself and smacks a mitre classic down the stairs towards the net and boom cleans an aul woman off her feet after smacked her square on the head. Received a good thumping from his da Infront of everyone until we got back into his dad's car and even his dad cudnt stop laughing fs she was grand btw.Β 

Β 

Also **** rangers the shower of money scandalous ratsΒ 

7 hours ago, Seaside Dave said:

Jjb sports? Those where the days lol remember being a young lad going there every other Saturday morning looking for new boots. One of my mates asked the guy to get him r9 boots and he tried them on in store and back then jjb had wee nets built up for display. Well of course my wee mate thought let's see if the boots are as good as r9 himself and smacks a mitre classic down the stairs towards the net and boom cleans an aul woman off her feet after smacked her square on the head. Received a good thumping from his da Infront of everyone until we got back into his dad's car and even his dad cudnt stop laughing fs she was grand btw.Β 

Β 

Also **** rangers the shower of money scandalous ratsΒ 

Β 

πŸ˜„Β Like some thing out of Oor Wullie that

Β 

It was Sports Connection and Inter Sport when I was that age

colinmorewasgash

RANGERS are being honoured with a celebratory reception by the Scotland Office to mark the club's 150th anniversary even though that club died in 2012 by being liquidated.On 1 June 2012, after four months in administration, a failure to reach aΒ CVAΒ agreement withΒ creditorsΒ led to The Rangers Football Club plc (since renamed RFC 2012 plc because old club died) entered the process of liquidation and new business was formed.

Β 

Alister Jack, Secretary of State for Scotland, has invited the Ibrox club to a special event.

FormerΒ RangersΒ players plus staff and directors will be in attendance.

Β 

AΒ statement on the Rangers websiteΒ said: Rangers will on this evening be honoured with a celebratory reception from the UK Government at the Scotland Office to mark the 150th anniversary of the club.

Hosted by the Secretary of State for Scotland, The Rt Hon. Alister Jack, the event at Dover House, Whitehall will be a lavish event with Donald Finlay supplying the party songs.

Gers managing director Stewart Robertson said: "We are very honoured and grateful to have been invited by the Secretary of State for Scotland to this very special event to mark the 150th anniversary of Rangers Football Club.Β 

Even though our real first competitive game was 1873 when they were registered and founded not a kick about friendly in park in 1872.

I believe it also speaks volumes for the contribution Rangers has made to our nation in a positive sense over these years from constant bigotry, violence and orange marches to corrupt referees, liquidation and diddling the country with not paying tax for years while telling everyone in media who they are while pretending its the same football club.

Β 

Β 

Skivingatwork

The reception is nothing more than a Β sham to bolster Tory support in Scotland amongst the dregs of unionism.Β 

Hannibal Lecter
On 07/06/2022 at 15:27, Locky said:

Β 

Β 

Yes when they were our sponsors you were able to buy Hearts tops in them.

On 07/06/2022 at 15:27, Locky said:

Β 

Β 

Always thought most of them got their strips off market stalls anyway.

On 09/06/2022 at 11:01, colinmorewasgash said:

RANGERS are being honoured with a celebratory reception by the Scotland Office to mark the club's 150th anniversary even though that club died in 2012 by being liquidated.On 1 June 2012, after four months in administration, a failure to reach aΒ CVAΒ agreement withΒ creditorsΒ led to The Rangers Football Club plc (since renamed RFC 2012 plc because old club died) entered the process of liquidation and new business was formed.

Β 

Alister Jack, Secretary of State for Scotland, has invited the Ibrox club to a special event.

FormerΒ RangersΒ players plus staff and directors will be in attendance.

Β 

AΒ statement on the Rangers websiteΒ said: Rangers will on this evening be honoured with a celebratory reception from the UK Government at the Scotland Office to mark the 150th anniversary of the club.

Hosted by the Secretary of State for Scotland, The Rt Hon. Alister Jack, the event at Dover House, Whitehall will be a lavish event with Donald Finlay supplying the party songs.

Gers managing director Stewart Robertson said: "We are very honoured and grateful to have been invited by the Secretary of State for Scotland to this very special event to mark the 150th anniversary of Rangers Football Club.Β 

Even though our real first competitive game was 1873 when they were registered and founded not a kick about friendly in park in 1872.

I believe it also speaks volumes for the contribution Rangers has made to our nation in a positive sense over these years from constant bigotry, violence and orange marches to corrupt referees, liquidation and diddling the country with not paying tax for years while telling everyone in media who they are while pretending its the same football club.

Β 

Β 

Good post. This won’t have helped though…

2 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Good post. This won’t have helped though…

Sorry, the upload failed 😞.

It was a reference to today’s β€œSun” article about β€œCinch” becoming more profitable due to the extra publicity received over TRFC’s stand-off with the SFA/SPFL. Classic.

8 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Sorry, the upload failed 😞.

It was a reference to today’s β€œSun” article about β€œCinch” becoming more profitable due to the extra publicity received over TRFC’s stand-off with the SFA/SPFL. Classic.

Rangers will ask for a cut claiming they colluded on it...

On 07/06/2022 at 11:08, Nookie Bear said:

To be honest i always assumed the cost of football shirts was fixed in some way.

Β 

Ultimately this is the underlying point. I think whilst Rangers and the other parties involved have been caught on this occasion, this practice is common throughout the replica shirt sector. Clubs and manufacturers control where the shirts are sold and can therefore control the price. You don't see the competitive pricing that you might with electrical goods etc across the Web, for example.

Β 

But this happens in other industries as well. I used to work I the golf trade and a number of top end brands would control the price you sold their product at. It was never written down anywhere, but it was clear if the company ever saw you selling current stock below their RRP you'd lose you credit line with them in the first instance. This could then lead to loosing the account you had with them. People in the industry all toed the party line as it was one of the few brands that you could then make money from. Every other brand got ripped to shreds by one website or another, which arguably was good for customers as they could get things for basically cost price plus vat if they searched about.Β  That's hard for businesses to run a business though if all you brands are discounted by someone.

Β 

I think we have attempts here to stamp this cost fixing out, which in the football sector is possibly a good thing as the margins on a replica shirt must be 500-600% (cost between Β£5-10 to make???), buy do also consider outwith the EPL this revenue from shirt sales will be a nice income for clubs.

1 hour ago, DalryJambo said:

Β 

Ultimately this is the underlying point. I think whilst Rangers and the other parties involved have been caught on this occasion, this practice is common throughout the replica shirt sector. Clubs and manufacturers control where the shirts are sold and can therefore control the price. You don't see the competitive pricing that you might with electrical goods etc across the Web, for example.

Β 

But this happens in other industries as well. I used to work I the golf trade and a number of top end brands would control the price you sold their product at. It was never written down anywhere, but it was clear if the company ever saw you selling current stock below their RRP you'd lose you credit line with them in the first instance. This could then lead to loosing the account you had with them. People in the industry all toed the party line as it was one of the few brands that you could then make money from. Every other brand got ripped to shreds by one website or another, which arguably was good for customers as they could get things for basically cost price plus vat if they searched about.Β  That's hard for businesses to run a business though if all you brands are discounted by someone.

Β 

I think we have attempts here to stamp this cost fixing out, which in the football sector is possibly a good thing as the margins on a replica shirt must be 500-600% (cost between Β£5-10 to make???), buy do also consider outwith the EPL this revenue from shirt sales will be a nice income for clubs.

Β 

Whistleblower in shock JJB bid - Manchester Evening News