Jump to content

Herbs (fresh ones, not the dried, powdery, cardboard type version)


Morgan
 Share

Recommended Posts

Basil is King.

 

Coriander is his wee brother.

 

Thyme and Rosemary are their wee brother and sister.

 

Food without herbs is beer without alcohol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Basil is King.

 

Coriander is his wee brother.

 

Thyme and Rosemary are their wee brother and sister.

 

Food without herbs is beer without alcohol. 

Tarragon is a fecking bully. I like it but the tiniest bit too much and you made a mess of your lovely meal. 
And apparently dislike of coriander is a genetic thing and some people can’t help but getting a soapy taste from it. I love it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Tarragon is a fecking bully. I like it but the tiniest bit too much and you made a mess of your lovely meal. 
And apparently dislike of coriander is a genetic thing and some people can’t help but getting a soapy taste from it. I love it. 

For me, Taz, Indian food without coriander just doesn’t work.

 

We are lucky enough to be able to grow herbs almost all year round.  Our huge basil plant is still going strong even at the end of November.

 

We used to do a chicken and tarragon dish years ago, but as you say, just a wee bit too much and the dish is ruined.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Parsley in a fish pie - also with some pasta dishes.  Oregano while frying onions for dishes like joe's special (scrambled eggs with minced beef, spinach, red peppers), although I don't think I've had it fresh, just the dried stuff.  Love fresh thyme with a steak.  Rosemary with lamb.

 

Anyone tried vanilla ice cream with basil?  Not bad!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

One of the most underrated herbs has to be marjoram, an absolute must in a chilli

 

Agreed.  I prefer marjoram to oregano.  As you say, great in chilli.  It's also great added to tomato sauce and homemade burgers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

Dried herbs are better than fresh herbs. 

 

:nojustno:

 

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

 

That is fighting talk :lol:

 

:lol: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

Parsley in a fish pie - also with some pasta dishes.  Oregano while frying onions for dishes like joe's special (scrambled eggs with minced beef, spinach, red peppers), although I don't think I've had it fresh, just the dried stuff.  Love fresh thyme with a steak.  Rosemary with lamb.

 

Anyone tried vanilla ice cream with basil?  Not bad!

No, but I am going to.  :thumb: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

Parsley in a fish pie - also with some pasta dishes.  Oregano while frying onions for dishes like joe's special (scrambled eggs with minced beef, spinach, red peppers), although I don't think I've had it fresh, just the dried stuff.  Love fresh thyme with a steak.  Rosemary with lamb.

 

Anyone tried vanilla ice cream with basil?  Not bad!

Strawberry ice cream with basil on Masterchef tonight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

scott herbertson

Oregano's the chappie for me

 

 

Have several varieties in pots around the front door

 

 

Used to hate sage by my wife  puts it in omelettes and I've become acclimatised to it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Mighty Thor

I love Rosemary. Really versatile and I've got a huge bush of it in the garden.

It ends up in roast potatoes and pretty much any meat I'm pan frying with half a head of garlic and enough butter to induce a coronary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...