Jump to content

Qatar world cup


Section Q

Recommended Posts

Section Q

Norwegian journalists arrested doing a story on workers condions relating to building stadia for the world cup finals.

 

OSLO, Nov 24 (Reuters) - Two Norwegian reporters were arrested by police in Qatar this week and held in detention for some 30 hours, their employer said on Wednesday, drawing criticism of the Gulf nation from Norway's prime minister.

Journalists Halvor Ekeland and Lokman Ghorbani were in Qatar to report on preparations for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, public broadcaster NRK said.

 

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/norway-criticises-qatar-over-arrest-norwegian-journalists-2021-11-24/

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Norwegian journalists arrested doing a story on workers condions relating to building stadia for the world cup finals.

 

OSLO, Nov 24 (Reuters) - Two Norwegian reporters were arrested by police in Qatar this week and held in detention for some 30 hours, their employer said on Wednesday, drawing criticism of the Gulf nation from Norway's prime minister.

Journalists Halvor Ekeland and Lokman Ghorbani were in Qatar to report on preparations for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, public broadcaster NRK said.

 

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/norway-criticises-qatar-over-arrest-norwegian-journalists-2021-11-24/

Why this World Cup is still

being held here shows how corrupt football and any other sport that goes here is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Section Q
11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Why this World Cup is still

being held here shows how corrupt football and any other sport that goes here is. 

Agree 100%. Money talks, just look at the Geordies.......!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Des Lynam
2 hours ago, Section Q said:

Agree 100%. Money talks, just look at the Geordies.......!


Wonderful isn’t it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
SectionDJambo

If the package promoting Qatar had included the tournament being played in December, it wouldn't have got anywhere near happening. The officials at FIFA probably already knew that it would be too hot in our summer to play football matches in Qatar, but followed the money. The European associations would have been strongly against any disruption of their domestic programs. It should be a condition of any future bid that it has to be held in June or July. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vile part of the world and sums up FIFA and football today.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Qatar really is a despicable place, and they literally cannot help but shoot themselves in the foot time and time again.  If there is one good thing to come out of this World Cup, it's that it really highlights that and makes people aware of what sort of dodgy dealing is happening in the background of places that isn't reported, and how much corruption exists out in the open. 

 

The statements that they have repeatedly come out with about worker deaths have been exactly that - statements.  No proof, no evidence, just some shady guy's word that they're doing better.  That might be the case for the documented workers, but what about the thousands of undocumented ones?  Are you really going to include them in your statements?

 

I'd love the teams who take part in the World Cup to have absolutely nothing to do with Qatar other than the football.  Fly in for the games, leave at full time.  No staying in hotels, no eating in their restaurants, just in and out for the thing that actually matters.  But it won't happen that way, and it'll just get swept under the carpet, and they'll be told to toe the party line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Das Viertel Hearts said:

If they qualify Scotland should not attend.

 

 

 

It's bloody typical isn't it?  Scotland don't qualify for a World Cup in over 2 decades, and the one that they at least have a chance of qualifying for is this one.

 

I'm torn between wanting to watch Scotland in a World Cup, and not wanting to support the farce of a World Cup that this one already is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, Section Q said:

Agree 100%. Money talks, just look at the Geordies.......!

Unfortunately. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Section Q
12 hours ago, tian447 said:

Qatar really is a despicable place, and they literally cannot help but shoot themselves in the foot time and time again.  If there is one good thing to come out of this World Cup, it's that it really highlights that and makes people aware of what sort of dodgy dealing is happening in the background of places that isn't reported, and how much corruption exists out in the open. 

 

The statements that they have repeatedly come out with about worker deaths have been exactly that - statements.  No proof, no evidence, just some shady guy's word that they're doing better.  That might be the case for the documented workers, but what about the thousands of undocumented ones?  Are you really going to include them in your statements?

 

I'd love the teams who take part in the World Cup to have absolutely nothing to do with Qatar other than the football.  Fly in for the games, leave at full time.  No staying in hotels, no eating in their restaurants, just in and out for the thing that actually matters.  But it won't happen that way, and it'll just get swept under the carpet, and they'll be told to toe the party line.

Can't disagree with anything above. 

We do however live in a crap world and money talks....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unbelievable that it wasn't cancelled years ago.

 

It's far too late to stop it now.

 

We'll see if anybody boycotts.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many thing wrong with it being there but i find it ridiculous that whilst footballers struggle to come out openly as gay the world Cup is held in a country where you get the jail for being gay. Fifa= corrupt to the core

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Das Viertel Hearts said:

If they qualify Scotland should not attend.

 

 

Our subtle boycotting of the USA, Japan, Korea, Germany, South Africa, Brazil and Russia has arguably had little destabilising impact on those regimes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Das Viertel Hearts
1 hour ago, savage said:

There are so many thing wrong with it being there but i find it ridiculous that whilst footballers struggle to come out openly as gay the world Cup is held in a country where you get the jail for being gay. Fifa= corrupt to the core

 

If you cracked open a tin of Asda lager they would beat you to a pulp...and add 100 lashes for good measure!! 

 

Shows what can happen when religious fairy stories are leveraged by very sinister groups of men...

Link to post
Share on other sites
skinnybob72

The penalty shootout could be replaced by a sandcastle building competition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Das Viertel Hearts said:

 

If you cracked open a tin of Asda lager they would beat you to a pulp...and add 100 lashes for good measure!! 

 

Shows what can happen when religious fairy stories are leveraged by very sinister groups of men...

To be fair, if you're drinking Asda lager, you probably deserve a few lashes !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Disgusting treatment of workers and high death toll makes a mockery of the game.

 Wont be watching any of this circus.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...