New Combi Boiler OR repair.

Gambo

I have an aging (12yr +) Vokera combi Boiler that has started playing up (cutting out).

Pressure is stable and fine, but it seems to be cutting out every 1 or 2 heating cycles(ie turn heating/shower on and no heat, go up loft and reset boiler and everything starts working again but only seems to last until next time I turn on heating and it goes off again and I have to go through same again).

I checked for 'Air locks' in heaters and found 1 that was cold at top and hot at bottom......released the air from that and the heating (& that heater)seemed to work fine for 2 days then started playing up again, boiler turning off and same heater with cold spot.

The advice I'm after is do I go and pay someone to look at repair or with age of boiler is that throwing money away, or should I go down new boiler route?

Not flush with cash just now with Xmas/birthdays etc coming up but don't fancy wasting 2-300 smackers on a repair to find out I need a new boiler in a few months.

Any boiler engineers want to chip in with advice?

Ps I don't have any boiler service plan at present. If going down new boiler route, does anyone have good/bad experiences of said service plans.

24 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I have an aging (12yr +) Vokera combi Boiler that has started playing up (cutting out).

Pressure is stable and fine, but it seems to be cutting out every 1 or 2 heating cycles(ie turn heating/shower on and no heat, go up loft and reset boiler and everything starts working again but only seems to last until next time I turn on heating and it goes off again and I have to go through same again).

I checked for 'Air locks' in heaters and found 1 that was cold at top and hot at bottom......released the air from that and the heating (& that heater)seemed to work fine for 2 days then started playing up again, boiler turning off and same heater with cold spot.

The advice I'm after is do I go and pay someone to look at repair or with age of boiler is that throwing money away, or should I go down new boiler route?

Not flush with cash just now with Xmas/birthdays etc coming up but don't fancy wasting 2-300 smackers on a repair to find out I need a new boiler in a few months.

Any boiler engineers want to chip in with advice?

Ps I don't have any boiler service plan at present. If going down new boiler route, does anyone have good/bad experiences of said service plans.

Title should say 'OR repair'

IMO, Stay away from service plans from major companies like homeserve, British gas etc  Engineers are targeted  on amount of jobs completed and or up selling products on site rather than sevicing the boiler fully or repairing it. 

In regards to a repair cost is dependant on remedial work required  and if parts are required, could be a sensor ar 20 quid or a few hundred pound pump etc or it could just need a thorough strip clean usually a company will come out on a call out charge (60 plus vat at my last place) which is waived if remedial work accepted but is payable if you decide against remedial work so its weighing up whats best for your wallet 

Most new boilers will come with a warranty uo to 12 years dependant on the make and the installer as long as serviced once a year which again i would do through a smaller business rather than bigger companies 

39 minutes ago, nobodymove said:

IMO, Stay away from service plans from major companies like homeserve, British gas etc  Engineers are targeted  on amount of jobs completed and or up selling products on site rather than sevicing the boiler fully or repairing it. 

In regards to a repair cost is dependant on remedial work required  and if parts are required, could be a sensor ar 20 quid or a few hundred pound pump etc or it could just need a thorough strip clean usually a company will come out on a call out charge (60 plus vat at my last place) which is waived if remedial work accepted but is payable if you decide against remedial work so its weighing up whats best for your wallet 

Most new boilers will come with a warranty uo to 12 years dependant on the make and the installer as long as serviced once a year which again i would do through a smaller business rather than bigger companies 

Cheers.

What’s the reading on the pressure gauge? It could be a faulty thermostat. 

I would reiterate the advice above regarding a service plan especially with Scottish Gas. Often they aren’t fully qualified plumbers. I had an crap experience with them where they made the problem worse then tried to absolve themselves of any blame. Ended up having to get a new boiler (Volkera as it happens). Unfortunately Volkera use cheaper Italian-manufactured parts. Though a bonus if you’re looking to fix it! 

12 years is a decent return out a boiler these days though according to the guy who fitted mine. 

27 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I would reiterate the advice above regarding a service plan especially with Scottish Gas. Often they aren’t fully qualified plumbers. I had an crap experience with them where they made the problem worse then tried to absolve themselves of any blame. Ended up having to get a new boiler (Volkera as it happens). Unfortunately Volkera use cheaper Italian-manufactured parts. Though a bonus if you’re looking to fix it! 

12 years is a decent return out a boiler these days though according to the guy who fitted mine. 

My boiler in east Craigs was on its 24th year, only problem with that was a pilot light that needed replaced.

TBF was not a combi, heated the water to a holding tank. 

As for Gambos problem, worth getting it fixed, 12 years is not that long a time for a boiler.

Mines broke down a month ago. The hot water was working but there was no water going to the radiators. After doing the same thing, checking for air locks etc... Got TB Mackay to fix it, (****ing useless BTW), it was the pump that was knackered. Cost £300 quid for the part and for the boy to fix it.

I'm not an expert on plumbing but it may be a similar problem with a similar cost. A new boiler will cost you thousands. 

20 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

My boiler in east Craigs was on its 24th year, only problem with that was a pilot light that needed replaced.

TBF was not a combi, heated the water to a holding tank. 

As for Gambos problem, worth getting it fixed, 12 years is not that long a time for a boiler.

They don’t make them like they used to Harry! 

1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

They don’t make them like they used to Harry! 

Yip, mine just had its 20th birthday.

We keep looking into replacing then doing eff all about it.

I did do a couple of threads recently, one combi or conventional and another for Heat Pump.

With gas costs, I may look back at heat pumps again, but so unsightly on the side of the house.

3 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Pressure gauge is between 1.5 & 2.

highlandjambo3

I had a new “system” boiler installed nearly two years ago (did mention it on another thread), basically………

It does the heating like a standard combination boiler with timers, thermostats etc however, the hot water is a whole different kettle of fish…….the system boiler heats up water and stores it in an unvented water cylinder (300L but you can get various sizes) I now have hot water on demand without the boiler springing into life when I turn on a hot tap or go for a shower. The cylinder is pressurised so the hot water flow is excellent and, when you turn on other taps the hot water flow does not drop as the hot water is already in the tank ready to use.  My boiler heats up the water tank as and when the water temperature drops or…..I’ve used loads of hot water from the tank.  My hot water taps have a higher flow rate than the cold taps.

The best bit……the whole system (Worcester 27i compact) including tank & pipe upgrades cost less than the Scottish gas new boiler quote and is under warranty for 10 years, last service was £79.

As mentioned, find a local “gas safe” engineer for the best deals and ask about a system boiler if your looking to replace.

Going to call out someone tomorrow.

Just went up loft to turn boiler on again and there was a smell of 'garlic' (not rotten eggs).

Smell has disappeared now.

Google search tells you it could be a gas leak ...... to some harmless chemical reaction happening.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to New Combi Boiler OR repair.

Just had our 20+ yr old combi Vokera replaced with an up-to-date one.  Unfortunately the ******/gasket thingy on the exchanger thingy was deteriorating and leaking.  Talked about green alternatives but decided to go with the tried and trusted.  Wait until new green options are more common and cheaper.

Hope your issue is easy to sort. 👍

e: the filter took out f l a n g e lol

Edited by ArcticJambo