Gerrard to Newcastle?

troy

40 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

If they're in genuine relegation trouble come January they have the money to buy top players to keep them safe. 

Some mercenaries might keep them up but the only way to build is to buy players who buy into the project. Company and Aguerro were those players for Man City, you need to find the strong leader and the world class goal scorer as a point to start from. 

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Bazzas right boot

• Mr Elwood P

• Forever Hearts

17 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

FS

Newcastle didn't sell anything to the devil !

Mike Ashley sold THEM to the devil

They seem to be pretty f.cking happy about it.......👍

20 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Just my opinion. I think they’ll struggle to win the Premiership the same

way PSG and City have struggled to win the Champions League. Just my thoughts on the matter. Newcastle could genuinely still get relegated which would set the project back even further. They don’t have a single ‘top 4’ player, an incredible amount of work to be undertaken. 

Keeping them in the EPL is priority.

The power of money will soon attract the players and coaches. Or should that be cockroaches

On 14/10/2021 at 20:23, Tazio said:

Some mercenaries might keep them up but the only way to build is to buy players who buy into the project. Company and Aguerro were those players for Man City, you need to find the strong leader and the world class goal scorer as a point to start from. 

I just hope they are not eyeing up Craig Gordon and Boycie!  ;)

I think the jambos could help in this situation ,go out and give them a doing today and the wheels will come off the sevco train,they have been lucky in some games this season scraping 1-0 results here and there if Hearts beat them today I think slippy will realise that with no money to spend he can’t take sevco any further 

Victor Meldrew

Can we really see the guys in Riyadh surveying the managerial market and saying: "I know what, what we really need is the guy who had a  comparatively huge budget and won fewer trophies than St Johnstone"?

They'll get Conte. Proven track record and currently a free agent. On his current record, Gerrard would get an English Championship job.

Edited by Victor Meldrew

3 minutes ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Can we really see the guys in Riyadh surveying the managerial market and saying: "I know what, what we really need is the guy who had a  comparatively huge budget and won fewer trophies than St Johnstone"?

They'll get Conte. Proven track record and currently a free agent. On his current record, Gerrard would get an English Championship job.

With Newcastle sitting in a pretty dodgy position in the league, they may be looking for one of the usual suspects to come in until the end of the season to keep them up rather than going for a Conte or the likes.

Allardyce etc must be in contention.

14 minutes ago, Victor Meldrew said:

I think Conte has distanced himself from the job. He could well end up at Man U IMO.

I agree about Gerrard. It's a classic case of people somehow assuming he's a great manager because he was a top player. He's won one out of 9 available trophies during his time so far in Scotland and much as Rangers were impressive last season, Celtic were a shambles. Strangely enough, Callum Davidson is not being linked with the Newcastle job. 

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, stirlo said:

I think Conte has distanced himself from the job. He could well end up at Man U IMO.

I agree about Gerrard. It's a classic case of people somehow assuming he's a great manager because he was a top player. He's won one out of 9 available trophies during his time so far in Scotland and much as Rangers were impressive last season, Celtic were a shambles. Strangely enough, Callum Davidson is not being linked with the Newcastle job. 

Newcastle need a big name to attract players

5 hours ago, frankblack said:

With Newcastle sitting in a pretty dodgy position in the league, they may be looking for one of the usual suspects to come in until the end of the season to keep them up rather than going for a Conte or the likes.

Allardyce etc must be in contention.

Fat Sam has been there befire and hated by the fans.

Sentiments are right though, the best man probably.

Bruce would keep them imo, had no money this season, getting a few in in January will help.

Precarious position up to then.

fabienleclerq

Newcastle aren't getting a top manager in right away imo. 

They need a good one to get them away from relegation and one that is able to work with players a rung under the top ones. Couple of years to build a better team then they will go for a top gaffer. I think Gerrard is actually a good fit, big enough name to attract players and potential to be a top boss, certainly seems good enough to cope with a mid table epl team. 

Any new manager has to agree to work in the Championship. 

Unless they are happy with a stop gap.

Edited by Mikey1874

Eddie Howe could be a good shout. Did incredible with Bournemouth despite the obvious limitations of the club.

I don't think you'll immediately see a big name manager there. I think they need someone to begin the project, and the likes of Conte won't be keen to stake their reputations with a huge rebuilding job required. 

What Newcastle need are the best of the rest type players to get them on track, they're not going to immediately be in for huge names. They've also got a hell of a lot of dead wood to shift. 

16 minutes ago, OTT said:

Eddie Howe could be a good shout. Did incredible with Bournemouth despite the obvious limitations of the club.

I don't think you'll immediately see a big name manager there. I think they need someone to begin the project, and the likes of Conte won't be keen to stake their reputations with a huge rebuilding job required. 

What Newcastle need are the best of the rest type players to get them on track, they're not going to immediately be in for huge names. They've also got a hell of a lot of dead wood to shift. 

Can't see Celtic letting him go tbh.

:clyay:

Maroon Sailor

Eddie Howe reported to be in discussions with Newcastle

Strange, seeing as there is no news of Bruce being relieved of his duties

Maroon Sailor
30 minutes ago, Tazio said:

See that Wayne Rooney has said he’d be willing to help them out. As if they aren’t in big enough trouble already. 

There was an old saying to not believe everything you read in the papers but with so many media outlets now it really is a goldfish bowl as to see who can spout the most made up stories.

SKY can get the blame for that as well - they report on speculation as if it is a fact as their sources told them so. They think they are first with the news as well !

As we told you first here on SKY ....... tossers !

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

They'll probably give Allardyce the job of trying to keep them up.   That should bring the geordies back down to earth.  

Did a good job keeping West Brom up

Another legend in his own lunch time 

Eddie Howe would be the wrong appointment for a side battling relegation. He can get teams playing football that is pretty on the eye but his teams cannot defend and have no backbone, that's why he was relegated with Bournemouth. 

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

He'll probably get a few million for 6 months work.   Apart from.Bolton and keeping a couple of clubs up, what has he really achieved in the game? 

It would be funny to see the geordies if he does get the job as it would feel like another Ashley appointment.

Skivingatwork
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

There was an old saying to not believe everything you read in the papers but with so many media outlets now it really is a goldfish bowl as to see who can spout the most made up stories.

SKY can get the blame for that as well - they report on speculation as if it is a fact as their sources told them so. They think they are first with the news as well !

As we told you first here on SKY ....... tossers !

Reminds me of the days of Gerry McNee on Scotsport Extra Time and his exclusives. Basically just repeating verbatim the press releases he was given by Ibrox and Parkhead stooges.

Absolutely cringeworthy stuff.

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, Skivingatwork said:

Reminds me of the days of Gerry McNee on Scotsport Extra Time and his exclusives. Basically just repeating verbatim the press releases he was given by Ibrox and Parkhead stooges.

Absolutely cringeworthy stuff.

I was actually thinking about him when I typed !

I can exclusively reveal !🤣

17 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

They'll probably give Allardyce the job of trying to keep them up.   That should bring the geordies back down to earth.  

14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

As posted earlier, he had the gig there in the past and was hated by the fans.

I cannot see it.

Hearts analogy, Ann Budge has just fired Robbie Neilson, Eduard Malofeef takes over. 

9 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I cannot see it.

Hearts analogy, Ann Budge has just fired Robbie Neilson, Eduard Malofeef takes over. 

I forgot he had been there before.  That's the fans get out clause.  They be stupid taking a risk if going down appointing Howe or Gerrard.   It would be brilliantly funny if they had to spend a frustrating season in the championship with all that money...

15 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I cannot see it.

Visionary of the 3-4-3 system, tbf.

23 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I cannot see it.

Also apparently Big Sam was delighted to get sacked by Newcastle as his missus hated living in the area. Heard or read recently (memory going - think it was on a podcast but not sure) directly from the lino who gave the dodgy decision that lead to the sacking - the next time he officiated at one of Allardyce's games he was expecting a roasting but Allardyce came over and gave him a big hug, explaining the above about his missus, and also said that his compo had paid for a new villa in Marbella which he had called " St. James' "!!!

Shanks said no
45 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Also apparently Big Sam was delighted to get sacked by Newcastle as his missus hated living in the area. Heard or read recently (memory going - think it was on a podcast but not sure) directly from the lino who gave the dodgy decision that lead to the sacking - the next time he officiated at one of Allardyce's games he was expecting a roasting but Allardyce came over and gave him a big hug, explaining the above about his missus, and also said that his compo had paid for a new villa in Marbella which he had called " St. James' "!!!

Your memory is better than you think

Sam Allardyce has named his sumptuous new Costa Blanca villa "Casa St James," because he bought it with his £4 million pay off from being sacked as Newcastle boss.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/opinion/football-opinion/bitter-big-sam-allardyce-should-3357372.amp

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Your memory is better than you think

Sam Allardyce has named his sumptuous new Costa Blanca villa "Casa St James," because he bought it with his £4 million pay off from being sacked as Newcastle boss.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/opinion/football-opinion/bitter-big-sam-allardyce-should-3357372.amp

Best job in the world being a football manager who wins absolute nothing but who can answer the call in a crisis.

Clubs fall for these charlatans like Fat Sam all the time and inevitably have to pay him off with a hefty sum.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Best job in the world being a football manager who wins absolute nothing but who can answer the call in a crisis.

Clubs fall for these charlatans like Fat Sam all the time and inevitably have to pay him off with a hefty sum.

I have a soft spot for Sam.

I think last season with West Brom was his first failure.

I like those stories above about his pay off and getting a villa in Marbella. :lol:

He did give them Kevin Nolan though, who was loved.

Loved that he got the England job, got pissed and scammed by the Sun.

One game in charge and won.

Made a lot of money, probably majority undeclared.👀

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I have a soft spot for Sam.

I think last season with West Brom was his first failure.

I like those stories above about his pay off and getting a villa in Marbella. :lol:

He did give them Kevin Nolan though, who was loved.

Loved that he got the England job, got pissed and scammed by the Sun.

One game in charge and won.

Made a lot of money, probably majority undeclared.👀

He got money off Steve Kean after he said Sam got sacked at Blackburn for being a crook !

I certainly wouldn't buy a car from him.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Bruce leaves Newcastle.

Surprised it wasn't sooner

Newcastle were a shambles on Sunday

Need a new manager who can kick ass

Fonseca rumoured to be in Toon

Victor Meldrew
On 19/10/2021 at 08:45, Maroon Sailor said:

Eddie Howe reported to be in discussions with Newcastle

Strange, seeing as there is no news of Bruce being relieved of his duties

But everyone has known since the takeover that he'll get is P45 - the issue has only ever been one of timing.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Victor Meldrew said:

But everyone has known since the takeover that he'll get is P45 - the issue has only ever been one of timing.

I get that - I just think the media have been a bit disrespectful to someone who was still in post - no matter how crap he is

Bazzas right boot
22 hours ago, Boris said:

Visionary of the 3-4-3 system, tbf.

😭😭😭😭

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

"Mutual consent"

They won't want to have Jones in charge for long.

He had a disastrous spell at Luton.

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I get that - I just think the media have been a bit disrespectful to someone who was still in post - no matter how crap he is

Media and disrespectful, now there's something you don't often see in the same sentence 🤭 😶

It’s looking like Gerrard might not be in the frame after all?

I wondered if TRFC might have given him an immediate pay rise in anticipation of a bumper compo package had NUFC come calling…😕

5 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

It’s looking like Gerrard might not be in the frame after all?

I wondered if TRFC might have given him an immediate pay rise in anticipation of a bumper compo package had NUFC come calling…😕

So somewhere Gerrard complaining rangers had spent nothing for 2 years ?

If correct is that not a prelude to getting out ?

Just now, john thomas said:

So somewhere Gerrard complaining rangers had spent nothing for 2 years ?

If correct is that not a prelude to getting out ?

Saw somewhere

11 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Saw somewhere

TRFC’s financial woes aren’t something you’ve likely to read/hear about in the Scottish media and Gerrard is clearly being “off message” by highlighting same.

Is that an indication he wants to leave Ibrox? Perhaps. Maybe he does see the walls closing in?

At least he’ll be comforted in knowing the match officials will be doing all they can to ensure a Champions League financial rescue package is forthcoming…

• 2 weeks later...
kingantti1874

You can’t just jump straight to the top, Need to build the club, get to mid table consitently, then top 7 once there can look for better manager and players ..