How good is Devlin ?

NB GIN

6 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Reminds me of Ian black

gives 100% but not all that good 

That was Black before Paulo arrived, however Black under Paulo was a player and a half....

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• upgotheheads

• HeartsandonlyHearts

• GinRummy

8 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Reminds me of Ian black

gives 100% but not all that good 

This season will be a learning curve for him.  We’ll see the best of him next season.

12 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Booked today for having the audacity to try a get a cross into the opposition box. Scottish football officials suck.

He claimes a penalty then stood still as an opposition player charged towards him put his head in his face and grabs him and ends up with a yellow. Ridiculous decision to book cammy 

I went mental when he scored! So chuffed for him.

He did well yesterday. Very important for us. More important to our attack than he gets credit for

He was very good yesterday, even after he was booked he kept going. I thought we relaxed a bit too early and should've made back our goal difference. But that's me being greedy, we were and so was Devlin and Beni, very good.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Deevers said:

This season will be a learning curve for him.  We’ll see the best of him next season.

agree, same with Atkinson. I think people can forget that with new players, especially ones from outside the UK, it can take time to settle before we see them at their best. I think Devlin has been good overall this season, though can see why he can be a bit of target when we play poorly.

I hope him finally finding the net will raise his confidence in the final 3rd. If him and Beni can add a 3-5 goals a season to their respective games we'll be laughing. 

avhudtheteeshirt

Devlin has Durocell batteries connected to his heart, his running and chasing down is immense!!

He gets a lot of stick on here for not playing forward enough, but I think its our other players that are slow to react to his movement!!!

5 hours ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Both Devlin and Atkinson will be much improved next season.  

Both need to be.  Interesting comparison that both Bozanic and Garuccio are playing at a higher level in Oz than our two wee and both really didn’t quite cut it here. Hopefully our current antipodeans develop into better players. 

Devlin will be exactly the same as he is this season. Limited player who has obvious plus points but his energy and grit will only take him so far. Too early to tell with Atkinson. 

With Devlin Atkinson and Beni all on decent length contracts it looks to me as if we are thinking ahead.

I'd love to see us getting McKay on a longer contract, and if we could get Simms as well that would be very encouraging.

The Grim Reaper
18 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Both need to be.  Interesting comparison that both Bozanic and Garuccio are playing at a higher level in Oz than our two wee and both really didn’t quite cut it here. Hopefully our current antipodeans develop into better players. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Devlin will be exactly the same as he is this season. Limited player who has obvious plus points but his energy and grit will only take him so far. Too early to tell with Atkinson. 

Think they’ll surprise you both. They’ll be properly settled by the time next season rolls around.

It’s been a pretty shit introduction to Scottish football for NA in-particular, being sort of forced into the team with our poor form of late. 

I’m sure we’ll see more from both of them next season. 

Just now, The Grim Reaper said:

Think they’ll surprise you both. They’ll be properly settled by the time next season rolls around.

It’s been a pretty shit introduction to Scottish football for NA in-particular, being sort of forced into the team with our poor form of late. 

I’m sure we’ll see more from both of them next season. 

Tend to agree about Atkinson. Devlin is a good player to have around and brings something to the team. Just can’t see how he’s going to improve is all. He is what he is. 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

I think they did cut it here. Both were decent players but suffered from a manager who had such a bloated squad that he couldn't identify his best team, both Bozanic and Garrucio would have been in it.

18 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I think they did cut it here. Both were decent players but suffered from a manager who had such a bloated squad that he couldn't identify his best team, both Bozanic and Garrucio would have been in it.

Garrucio would have made a really good wing back as opposed to a full back. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

With Devlin Atkinson and Beni all on decent length contracts it looks to me as if we are thinking ahead.

I'd love to see us getting McKay on a longer contract, and if we could get Simms as well that would be very encouraging.

Doubt we can afford Simms. Still under contract with Everton.

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Tend to agree about Atkinson. Devlin is a good player to have around and brings something to the team. Just can’t see how he’s going to improve is all. He is what he is. 

Devlin is only 23. This is his first season in Scottish football, which might not be brilliant but is still a significant step up from where he's played before. You might turn out to be right, but at the same time, it's by no means out of the question to think that in the next year or two, he could become a bit more confident and consistent with his finishing (starting to get a few goals per season), as well as learning to read the game a little better and be a bit better at judging when to charge about and when to calm down a bit.  He's never going to be a passing maestro like Fulton at his best or Aguiar, he's always going to be primarily a dynamo in the engine room area, but I don't see any reason to believe he can’t become a better version of the sort of player he is!

1 hour ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Doubt we can afford Simms. Still under contract with Everton.

So was Beni, so it's not out of the question!  A lot depends on whether next summer Everton still see him as having any chance of making it with them, or if not, whether they're getting enough interest from elsewhere to get a significant fee for him.  I suspect our best hope is that it's pretty much a no to both!  If it's a yes to the former, but they think he still needs another season on loan, we just might be able to get him back on loan again, particularly if we've got group stage European football guaranteed, as that would be a significant thing to be able to offer him experience-wise! 

33 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

So was Beni, so it's not out of the question!  A lot depends on whether next summer Everton still see him as having any chance of making it with them, or if not, whether they're getting enough interest from elsewhere to get a significant fee for him.  I suspect our best hope is that it's pretty much a no to both!  If it's a yes to the former, but they think he still needs another season on loan, we just might be able to get him back on loan again, particularly if we've got group stage European football guaranteed, as that would be a significant thing to be able to offer him experience-wise! 

If Everton get relegated then he may well get opportunities for them next season

HeartsandonlyHearts
34 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I hope we can turn his head to either do what Beni did and thought Hearts made more sense for him football wise. Or if another loan season is doable. The Beni thing is weird because he seems so comfortable on the ball that it’s hard to believe no English championship teams thought him worthy. Was he ever on loan anywhere down South?

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Imagine someone with Devlin's energy but better with an incisive pass and better finishing around the goal. Both of those are things that can be improved in training, particularly in the offseason.

There's no guarantee that he makes the next step but he's always trying hard, he's brave, he plainly loves it at Hearts, and wants to improve. What more can you really want from a young player?

Sub4TiddlerMurray
11 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Imagine someone with Devlin's energy but better with an incisive pass and better finishing around the goal. Both of those are things that can be improved in training, particularly in the offseason.

There's no guarantee that he makes the next step but he's always trying hard, he's brave, he plainly loves it at Hearts, and wants to improve. What more can you really want from a young player?

Y'mean, something like his goal yesterday when he brilliantly won possession in the middle, played a lovely pass to Boyce, anticipated the loose ball when Boyce was dancing thro' 3 St Mirren players, plays the ball forward perfectly into Bene's stride and struck a lovely controlled finish high into the net from the rebound off the keeper? Can't wait for him to reach that level 😉

Neither Garruchio or Bozanic could lace his boots. Love Cammy. The boy has bags of skill and is the best midfield tackler in the SPFL. Great vision and doesn't get nearly enough credit for his passing ability. Already a very very important cog in this much improved version of Hearts.

27 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Y'mean, something like his goal yesterday when he brilliantly won possession in the middle, played a lovely pass to Boyce, anticipated the loose ball when Boyce was dancing thro' 3 St Mirren players, plays the ball forward perfectly into Bene's stride and struck a lovely controlled finish high into the net from the rebound off the keeper? Can't wait for him to reach that level 😉

Neither Garruchio or Bozanic could lace his boots. Love Cammy. The boy has bags of skill and is the best midfield tackler in the SPFL. Great vision and doesn't get nearly enough credit for his passing ability. Already a very very important cog in this much improved version of Hearts.

It was fantastic and it shows that he's growing into the part. I just want him to do it a bit more consistently, and I think he absolutely can.

The notion that he's peaked is strange to me. He's a diamond in the rough. He just needs some polishing.

2 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Biggest kick I got yesterday after he scored was how happy Beni was for him. He looked so happy for his wee pal.

Also says so much how he went straight to the Hearts fans to celebrate, how much he soaked it in. I don't expect every player to love Hearts but it sure seems like he does.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
39 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

It was fantastic and it shows that he's growing into the part. I just want him to do it a bit more consistently, and I think he absolutely can.

The notion that he's peaked is strange to me. He's a diamond in the rough. He just needs some polishing.

I agree that the claim that he has peaked is nonsense. But disagree about his consistency. For the most part this season he has been brilliant most games. His form did drop off a bit in the last few - possibly affected by the swapping him, Beni and Haring around - but he was definitely back to his best yesterday. For me, he is one of the more dependable performers.

2 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I agree that the claim that he has peaked is nonsense. But disagree about his consistency. For the most part this season he has been brilliant most games. His form did drop off a bit in the last few - possibly affected by the swapping him, Beni and Haring around - but he was definitely back to his best yesterday. For me, he is one of the more dependable performers.

Sorry, I was unclear—I agree completely about his consistency. But his scoring is, shall we say, not consistent. He's gone deer-in-the-headlights when he got to the box most of the season.

I think he can figure it out but we can't say his goal yips are over just because he did one goal.

The one thing that we have all been saying for the last 3-4 years is that we were too slow, too pedestrian and had no energy in the midfield. Cammy brings this energy, this drive and this pace to the middle of the park that nobody else in our team can match.

He is a young player with room to develop and improve, as he matures his sense of positioning will improve and hopefully,  his ability to arrive in the box late will result in him getting more goals.

I was out on Saturday night in Edinburgh and had the fortune to bump into Cammy, he is exactly as warm and lovely as you would expect. He happily posed for a selfie and listen to me drunkenly rambling on, he even recorded a video for my 6 year old later on which was amazing. Lovely fella 👍 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
8 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Sorry, I was unclear—I agree completely about his consistency. But his scoring is, shall we say, not consistent. He's gone deer-in-the-headlights when he got to the box most of the season.

I think he can figure it out but we can't say his goal yips are over just because he did one goal.

That is very true 

1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

great to see one of our defenders on the score sheet..... 🤣

Robbie would have been raging at hom crossing the halfway line 🙄 

15 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Robbie would have been raging at hom crossing the halfway line 🙄 

also just watched the highlights and Soutter had the audacity to be in their half passing the ball to McKay who crossed it into the box.

Nielsen also raging that our centre back wasn't pinned onto our 18 yard line for the whole game....

2 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

also just watched the highlights and Soutter had the audacity to be in their half passing the ball to McKay who crossed it into the box.

Nielsen also raging that our centre back wasn't pinned onto our 18 yard line for the whole game....

All wearing ear plugs 🔌 

On 27/02/2022 at 12:11, OTT said:

I hope him finally finding the net will raise his confidence in the final 3rd. If him and Beni can add a 3-5 goals a season to their respective games we'll be laughing. 

Think he has been getting into more attacking positions more often .

Thought he maybe had a blind spot when it came to scoring , perhaps not

On 27/02/2022 at 08:07, TheBigO said:

I went mental when he scored! So chuffed for him.

He did well yesterday. Very important for us. More important to our attack than he gets credit for

Good to see him on the scoresheet, also won the ball in midfield to start the attack.

He has had a few shots on goal and although it doesnt look natural to him he is in the positions to have shots, hopefully will get a few more.

Also nice seeing Beni playing a through ball another thing we start to see more off.

Edited by jackal