Cherry Picker Hire

luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta

Hi again😁

I have brown UPVC windows, but looking to paint them black. It’s too dangerous to stand on the roof tiles to paint two of them and also can’t get to the bedroom one above my conservatory. I was thinking about getting a company in to do it, but no idea how much that might cost. Then I thought about hiring a cherry picker and doing them myself. Any recommendations of where is best to rent one and any problems to watch out for.

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Hi again😁

I have brown UPVC windows, but looking to paint them black. It’s too dangerous to stand on the roof tiles to paint two of them and also can’t get to the bedroom one above my conservatory. I was thinking about getting a company in to do it, but no idea how much that might cost. Then I thought about hiring a cherry picker and doing them myself. Any recommendations of where is best to rent one and any problems to watch out for.

Ffs, Don't paint UPVC windows.

luckyBatistuta
35 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Ffs, Don't paint UPVC windows.

Why? It’s quite the done thing these days. As long as they haven’t been newly fitted.  I’ve already done a trial on a window downstairs. I painted one half matt and the other gloss to see which I preferred.

Depending on the height a scaffold might be cheaper and easier. Most of these hire ones require flat stable surface and not the best to move about. Depending on the access i know someone who owns a couple of big ones but they may be a bit overkill. 

highlandjambo3

I hired one up here 2 years ago….was a “tow behind car” type of thing nifty 120t with 4 extendable hydraulic legs for stability, level indicator, sensor pads to ensure each leg was firmly on the ground, emergency cut out if you over extend….really easy to use with its own generator for remote working or, electric hookup if your near a power source, it even has batteries to self propel so you can move it around without hitching it to your car.

it was about £270 for a day but £350 for 5 days….I got the 5 day job and did loads of stuff……painted the whole house…..

I’d advise you to try and find one of these.

0A8F04A1-19A3-443F-BF0C-EB0FA2A2D49D.jpeg

FBE35AEC-0CA3-49F3-B20D-4FCE11CA8C41.jpeg

Konrad von Carstein

Similar but different question,  can you paint plastic guttering successfully?

Ive seen people.saying it can be done but not sure how long it would last.

Planning on using Sandex exterior satin.

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Similar but different question,  can you paint plastic guttering successfully?

Ive seen people.saying it can be done but not sure how long it would last.

Planning on using Sandex exterior satin.

Don’t waste your time, plastic guttering is cheap. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Is. Might have gone up but it’s still cheap. 

Aye if you buy rubbish that will last one decent summer.

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Don’t waste your time, plastic guttering is cheap. 

This is a shaped guttering that is in a run across the front of the house,  its a flat roof over the entry vestibules and living room bays.

The adjouning neighbours wont spend a penny unless it was a dire emergency,  they are in their 80's.  So painting it is a quick patch up solution and we wont be here in the medium term so not wanting the hassell of yet more building work.

7 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

This is a shaped guttering that is in a run across the front of the house,  its a flat roof over the entry vestibules and living room bays.

The adjouning neighbours wont spend a penny unless it was a dire emergency,  they are in their 80's.  So painting it is a quick patch up solution and we wont be here in the medium term so not wanting the hassell of yet more building work.

Fair enough Kvc but it is a piece of piss and not expensive to buy. You’ll get ripped off by most companies if you get a quote though as they like to pretend it is hard to do and expensive material costs. Still stands though I’m not sure painting them is the answer. They get far more weather battered than windows will do I wouldn’t expect the same results or life span compared to those who paint windows. 

Konrad von Carstein
54 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Fair enough Kvc but it is a piece of piss and not expensive to buy. You’ll get ripped off by most companies if you get a quote though as they like to pretend it is hard to do and expensive material costs. Still stands though I’m not sure painting them is the answer. They get far more weather battered than windows will do I wouldn’t expect the same results or life span compared to those who paint windows. 

Cheers I will have a look... Just need to find a similar shape of item... Having been up there prepping sioffits.etc for paining there doesnt seem too much to replacing them.

51 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Cheers I will have a look... Just need to find a similar shape of item... Having been up there prepping sioffits.etc for paining there doesnt seem too much to replacing them.

You only get 3 shapes really, Half round, square line and ogee. All different and can’t be mistaken. 

13 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Thanks to everyone for the advice, will dig deeper

I take it your not busy tonight or stuck in traffic at Picardy🙂

luckyBatistuta
28 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I take it your not busy tonight or stuck in traffic at Picardy🙂

🤣 just started and received that message 

2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

🤣 just started and received that message 

Should have taken a screenshot as it 3 topic posts on in a row. All about a minute apart.

Picardy

Driveway

Cherry picker

:lol:

Edited by Tommy Brown

5 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Stick a stop end on the neighbours and renew your own. Easy enough to unite if you share a downpipe. Renew the fascia and soffit while you're up there. Ogee gutters are easy anaw.

Edited by ri Alban

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Thanks to everyone for the advice, will dig deeper

you do know a cherry picker is not for digging but getting to things that are high up

Been a painter for 40 years would not recommend painting upvc ,if you want to go ahead with it remember it’s non porous so putting Matt or gloss on top might look ok  but it’s only a Matter of time before it will start to flake off. I would recommend using very fine sanding pads being careful not to scratch the surface only to flatten any gloss surface,then the most important part is to use a good primer,zinsser bin is one of the best and you can get it at the paint shed or any merchants.next is undercoat then the top coat either matt satin or gloss I would leave 24 hours between coats and remember to leave windows slightly open , best of luck.

luckyBatistuta
On 03/09/2021 at 19:51, milky_26 said:

you do know a cherry picker is not for digging but getting to things that are high up

:lol:

On 03/09/2021 at 22:21, Pepe le pew said:

Been a painter for 40 years would not recommend painting upvc ,if you want to go ahead with it remember it’s non porous so putting Matt or gloss on top might look ok  but it’s only a Matter of time before it will start to flake off. I would recommend using very fine sanding pads being careful not to scratch the surface only to flatten any gloss surface,then the most important part is to use a good primer,zinsser bin is one of the best and you can get it at the paint shed or any merchants.next is undercoat then the top coat either matt satin or gloss I would leave 24 hours between coats and remember to leave windows slightly open , best of luck.

Thanks for the advice pal. I already done a trial on one window at the back and it looks good, but as you say, will it last🤷‍♂️

jack D and coke
On 03/09/2021 at 03:19, luckyBatistuta said:

Hi again😁

🤣🤣

luckyBatistuta

14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488655aep8j85naifr8i72

she’s contacted some boy who spray paints them all the time as a business. Fink eez on Facebook, eez camin out to give er a quote sahn 😬

jack D and coke
15 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

she’s contacted some boy who spray paints them all the time as a business. Fink eez on Facebook, eez camin out to give er a quote sahn 😬

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886aqencdp8i00h3esoss