Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

26 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

Celtic had 8 players on international duty so Spartans got them at the right time.Indeed Spartans have them at home

when international duty rears its head again.

Good for Spartans Not so good for the other teams who are title challengers.

That’s the farcical side of having B teams in it. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• Locky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Spartans v Bonnyrigg could be some match. Just a pity it's the drastic plastic pitch at Ainslie Park

I've been to a couple of Spartans games including the pre-season game against us and thought their plastic pitch wasn't too bad. Certainly better than Livingston, Hamilton or Alloa

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, true-jambo said:

I've been to a couple of Spartans games including the pre-season game against us and thought their plastic pitch wasn't too bad. Certainly better than Livingston, Hamilton or Alloa

I get what you're saying but I prefer football to be played on grass.

It's rare you see a decent match on plastic

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

I get what you're saying but I prefer football to be played on grass.

It's rare you see a decent match on plastic

Yep agree re playing on grass, especially in the top divisions, but I can understand why a community club like Spartans, with the amount of football played on their pitch would choose plastic. As I said I think their pitch plays truer than some in the professional leagues.

Anyway let's hope the top of the league clash between two local teams does produce that elusive good game on a plastic pitch

On 06/10/2021 at 22:42, Gorgie_Rules said:

Spartans v Bonnyirigg on saturday should be a good game.

Not sure if the clubs are in control of the kick off time, but a 3pm kick off is pretty close to the 5pm Scotland game.

A 1pm kick off with Hearts and Hibs both not in action could see a decent crowd

Shifted to 2pm

Maroon Sailor

Does anybody know what parts of Ainslie Park are they opening up ?

Last time I was there only the stand side was open to fans which wasn't exactly great and I can see Bonnyrigg bringing a few

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Nice Vlog from the Vale of Leithen v Bonnyrigg 0-13 match

Don't think I'll ever see another match with a scoreline quite like that one !

Match footage from 8:45 

27 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

FT

The Spartans 1-2 Bonnyrigg Rose

Big win for the Rosey Posey

Certainly is. A lot of they guys I know that watch them regularly felt they might not be good enough to win the league this season - they might well be wrong. 

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Certainly is. A lot of they guys I know that watch them regularly felt they might not be good enough to win the league this season - they might well be wrong. 

Got a big Jambo at the back - Kerr Young.

So for that reason I hope they do it

tolcross lad
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Bonnyrigg are a battle hardened lot from previous seasons and a few astute signings is seeing them punch above their weight yet again under their manager Robbie Horn.It was only in January that they were minutes from knocking Dundee out of the cup.

Time will tell if they are good enough.They wont be far away.Thats for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Footballfirst

The South Challenge Cup, Third Round

Beith v Rossvale
Newmains United v East Kilbride
Syngenta v Edinburgh United
Blantyre Victoria v Broxburn Athletic
Tranent v Lugar Boswell Thistle
Threave Rovers v Civil Service Strollers
Luncarty v Renfrew
Lesmahagow v Drumchapel United
Darvel/Gretna 2008 v Cambuslang Rangers
Glenrothes v Clydebank
Whitletts Victoria v Arthurlie
Kilbirnie Ladeside v Caledonian Braves
Pollok v Harthill Royal
Haddington Athletic v Spartans
Irvine Meadow v Penicuik Athletic
Bo’ness Athletic v Glenafton Athletic
Maybole v St Anthonys
Gala Fairydean Rovers v University of Stirling
Hurlford United v Blackburn United
Auchinleck Talbot v West Calder United
Petershill v Greenock
Sauchie v Preston Athletic
Finnart v Jeanfield Swifts
Lochore Welfare v Dundonald Bluebell
Linlithgow Rose v St Cuthbert Wanderers
Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic v Coldstream
Cumbernauld Colts v Tynecastle
Vale of Leven v Edinburgh University
Bo’ness United v East Kilbride Thistle
Largs Thistle v Troon
Ormiston v Thorniewood United
Cumbernauld United v Glasgow United

ties due Saturday 20th November 2021

Footballfirst

Four giant killers in today's Scottish Cup 2nd round (beating teams in a higher tier).

Civil Service Strollers 4-2 winners at Cowdenbeath, Darvel 1-0 winners at Stranraer, Tranent 2-0 at Broomhill and Bank's O'Dee 5-0 winners at home to Nairn County.

The draw for the 3rd round is at 5.15pm tomorrow. The Championship and League 1 clubs join at this stage.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Hesh said:

Wouldn’t say BoD was a giant killer 

1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

Not sure Tranent winning is a giant killer but hey ho.

BoD and Tranent would have been favourites, although they are both in Tier 6, while Nairn County and Broomhill are in Tier 5.

The pyramid has some way to go before all clubs are in the tiers appropriate to their playing ability.

I wouldn't have said that CSS and Darvel winning were great surprises either.

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Shock result of the day.

Vale of Leithen earned their first league point of the decade with a 1-1 draw away to Gretna 2008.

LOWLAND LEAGUE STANDINGS

Pos Club P Pts
1 Bonnyrigg Rose 17 43
2 Rangers B 15 36
3 The Spartans 17 34
4 Civil Service Strollers 17 33
5 East Stirlingshire 17 28
6 Celtic B 14 27
7 East Kilbride 16 27
8 Gala Fairydean Rovers 15 26
9 Berwick Rangers 17 25
10 Dalbeattie Star 15 24
11 Caledonian Braves 15 21
12 Broomhill 16 21
13 Bo’ness United 15 20
14 Cumbernauld Colts 17 15
15 Edinburgh University 16 13
16 University of Stirling 15 11
17 Gretna 2008 17 7
18 Vale of Leithen 17 1

Vale have a new manager who seems to have recruited heavily from Penicuick U20's. 

With the rub of the green they could catch Gretna... 

Double celebration for Vale of Leithen.

Their 1st point won AND their 100th goal conceded

Btw I assume if Gretna were to finish bottom of the LL they would drop into the South of Scotland League?

Niemi’s gloves

Good to see Gala got another good win today - 1-0 away at East Stirling - with the three Hearts youngsters all starting: Harris Spratt in goal, Sean Docherty at RB and Arron Darge (CB or possibly defensive midfield). Aidan Denholm also started again for Berwick Rangers who sadly lost 1-0 to Rangers B. Late penalty to Rangers B for the winner, no surprise there! 

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Double celebration for Vale of Leithen.

Their 1st point won AND their 100th goal conceded

Btw I assume if Gretna were to finish bottom of the LL they would drop into the South of Scotland League?

Interesting question on Gretna. In fact they played in the East of Scotland from their foundation in 2008 to 2013 when they became founder members of the new Lowland League. I’d guess they’d want to go back to the East although the transport system (in other words the M74) might suggest that the West league makes more sense. 

Actually a stooshie on the subject might force officialdom to confront the reality that the South of Scotland league is now much weaker than the East and West premier leagues. In my view, the South should be a feeder league (via play-offs) to the West premier league. 

3 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Interesting question on Gretna. In fact they played in the East of Scotland from their foundation in 2008 to 2013 when they became founder members of the new Lowland League. I’d guess they’d want to go back to the East although the transport system (in other words the M74) might suggest that the West league makes more sense. 

Actually a stooshie on the subject might force officialdom to confront the reality that the South of Scotland league is now much weaker than the East and West premier leagues. In my view, the South should be a feeder league (via play-offs) to the West premier league. 

I was wondering the same. All 3 feeders have some merit, though the East & West set out a clear geographical boundary when the last of the Juniors moved over to stop some posturing from a couple of West Lothian clubs. For me South would be the clearest choice. Not just geographically but Gretna would surely fancy their chances of reaching the playoffs far more via the South than either the West or East leagues.

Footballfirst
15 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Good to see Gala got another good win today - 1-0 away at East Stirling - with the three Hearts youngsters all starting: Harris Spratt in goal, Sean Docherty at RB and Arron Darge (CB or possibly defensive midfield). Aidan Denholm also started again for Berwick Rangers who sadly lost 1-0 to Rangers B. Late penalty to Rangers B for the winner, no surprise there! 

The Hearts lads certainly featured in the ES v GFR game.

56' Hamilton hits one from distance which forces an outstretched Spratt to tip it over. Corner comes to nothing. 0-1
61' Docherty is the first player into the book today for kicking the ball away 0-1
64' Docherty picks up his second booking of the game as he's booked for simulation in the Shire box. Gala down to 10 0-1
68' Darge booked for a late one on Watson 0-1
90' Great save from Spratt forces a corner. The ball is put into a dangerous area, the keeper goes down but we hit it over. 0-1

Niemi’s gloves
43 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The Hearts lads certainly featured in the ES v GFR game.

56' Hamilton hits one from distance which forces an outstretched Spratt to tip it over. Corner comes to nothing. 0-1
61' Docherty is the first player into the book today for kicking the ball away 0-1
64' Docherty picks up his second booking of the game as he's booked for simulation in the Shire box. Gala down to 10 0-1
68' Darge booked for a late one on Watson 0-1
90' Great save from Spratt forces a corner. The ball is put into a dangerous area, the keeper goes down but we hit it over. 0-1

Thanks, FF. I’d only seen the very bare coverage on Gala’s Twitter which mentioned going down to 10 men without naming names.  Sounds rather naive to get a double booking like that within a 3 minute period but hopefully part of the learning experience for Sean Docherty. 

Clydebank put out Elgin City in their Sco Cup replay. Not a shock, or even a surprise. They took four off us in the WoSFL Premier earlier this season. Not that you have to be much good to do that.

Footballfirst

Pollok is the latest club to seek an SFA licence.  Their ground at Newlansfield is decent for a traditionally junior side.

26 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Pollok is the latest club to seek an SFA licence.  Their ground at Newlansfield is decent for a traditionally junior side.

Bonnyrigg best get up this season as the competition is heating up. 😄

34 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I went there to see Fauldhouse getting horsed in their Scottish Junior Cup visit just last year and was surprised at just how ramshackle and poor the facilities were for such a well supported side. The progress with EoS sides and their grounds has been remarkable in the last couple of years.

6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

More uncertainty coming about promotion and relegation to and from the pyramid.

...anything to do with Brechin perhaps? And their, long, drawn-out, thoroughly deserved relegation into the pyramid... that they feel was wholly undeserved?

Cynic in me coming to the fore!

6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Got to wonder why the LL feel obligated to go along with this and why the SFA are spending so much political capital on a non issue

It is odd 

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

There may be a new team in the EOSFL next season based in South Queensferry.

Screenshot_20211102-104609.jpg

Where would they play?

Footballfirst
31 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Where would they play?

There is the community sports hub in South Queensferry next to the high school, so basically a cage and 3G pitch, which is similar to other clubs at the lowest levels.

On 02/11/2021 at 23:47, Footballfirst said:

There is the community sports hub in South Queensferry next to the high school, so basically a cage and 3G pitch, which is similar to other clubs at the lowest levels.

3G cages tend not to meet requirements, and only allowed on a temp basis eg. Rosyth and Leith.

On 02/11/2021 at 23:47, Footballfirst said:

Assuming the K in KSQ stands for Kirkliston there may be space at the sports centre there.

Footballfirst
17 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

3G cages tend not to meet requirements, and only allowed on a temp basis eg. Rosyth and Leith.

Blackburn is basically a cage with some extra space, but is SFA licensed, as are East Kilbride and Caledonian Braves in the LL.

Other non-licensed caged grounds include Heriot Watt Univ/Edinburgh College at the Oriam and Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts at Dalgety Bay.

The "cage" isn't aesthetically pleasing, but it does the same job as a wooden fence or brick wall at other grounds.  It just provides an enclosure for the ground, the pitch and an area for fans.

Edit: I believe that the issue with Rosyth and Leith is the separation of the changing rooms from the ground (much the same as at the Oriam)

Edited by Footballfirst

Just now, Footballfirst said:

Blackburn is basically a cage with some extra space, but is SFA licensed, as are East Kilbride, Caledonian Braves.

Other non-licensed grounds include Heriot Watt Univ/Edinburgh College at the Oriam and Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts at Dalgety Bay.

Blackburn isn't a cage, it has a 3g but similarity to a cage ends there, neither are Braves - with 2 seated stands and pie stand - and East Kilbride have a stand and covered terrace.  Heriot Watt has 2 stands (although dressing rooms are a bit far away).  Never been to Dalgety Bay so can't comment on that one.

Leith are moving back to Meadowbank soon I think, and Rosyth are on a shoogly peg with their cage as they've been let down with a new ground and not sure what their situation is really.

Looking at KSQ pitch, it would need to be improved a bit to meet basic requirments, hopefully they have a plan.

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Chuck Berry said:

Blackburn isn't a cage, it has a 3g but similarity to a cage ends there, neither are Braves - with 2 seated stands and pie stand - and East Kilbride have a stand and covered terrace.  Heriot Watt has 2 stands (although dressing rooms are a bit far away).  Never been to Dalgety Bay so can't comment on that one.

Leith are moving back to Meadowbank soon I think, and Rosyth are on a shoogly peg with their cage as they've been let down with a new ground and not sure what their situation is really.

Looking at KSQ pitch, it would need to be improved a bit to meet basic requirments, hopefully they have a plan.

I walk the dog around the Fleet Grounds at Rosyth almost every day, and they really don't know what's happening as there's a brand new high school being built on the grounds they're playing on just now, which is a shame because it's a very busy football pitch and there's always something going on there and they really should be rehomed somewhere locally to keep the club going. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues Superthread