Jump to content

Getting other peoples emails


Tommy Brown

Recommended Posts

This has been going on for 10 years at a guess.

My email address is [email protected]

Over the years I receive a lady in Canada's mails (probably not all, but a few per week)

Her address is the same, but does not have a dot after the first two letters (my inititials)

 

This morning, l seem to have another randoms from across the pond.

His address [email protected]

 

Is this a common occurrence?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.I regularly receive very sensitive emails for a senior social worker.I used to do the right thing and give them the heads up but after being treated badly by their "security" team they can **** right off.

Makes for a good read sometimes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeh I get the same, in the same scenario as you for someone without the .

 

I read up about it and Google say that that you own both the dotted and undotted version and it's someone giving out their email address wrong, more like your second instance. I'm not sure I buy it but it seems like it's a common occurrence.

 

The person who's email I get is house hunting. I was worried it was some kind of fraud until I was sent his personal details including a background check for a property he was after and realised he's actually the one at risk. Fortunately for him I'd never dream of doing anything like that...I just get annoyed by it and unsubscribe to his house hunting emails.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get emails for several people of the same name from all over the world (albeit infrequently).

 

One guy down South - was getting email info from a BMW dealership. 

 

Another person down South - had emails showing some music studio built. Also had a company emailing diagrams/contracts for a garden room they were building. 

 

There is one in the USA - the guy re-enlisted in the Army as a medic. I started getting info on where to report for duty/training, uniform orders etc.

I have also been added to a google share folder on US Army medical practice/techniques/guides.

Also had some real-estate company email info on new property/lease etc.

 

There is one in Canada who is a pensioner who went job hunting and signed up to a job site then applied for a job in a doughnut shop. 

 

I have emailed back some of the contacts to advise them they have the wrong address and to try and contact their customer/client by phone.

Bear in mind i have contacted sales people (or admin) to help their business and not one of the ungrateful ****s have ever said "thank you"

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jb102 said:

Yes.I regularly receive very sensitive emails for a senior social worker.I used to do the right thing and give them the heads up but after being treated badly by their "security" team they can **** right off.

Makes for a good read sometimes.

that is a breach of gdpr rules and the company should be reporting it as so (they have 72 hrs from breach to report it). you can also report it and get them in trouble

 

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/report-a-breach/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only one I ever had was to a guy with the same name as me (but a different pre "@hotmail.com" part to his email address) from his daughter bitching about something to do with the dad's upcoming marriage ceremony.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My colleague has the woman in America that regularly messages him. Thinks she’s emailing her ex and won’t believe it’s not him. Thinks he’s trying to con her. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
A Boy Named Crow
13 hours ago, Helzibob said:

My colleague has the woman in America that regularly messages him. Thinks she’s emailing her ex and won’t believe it’s not him. Thinks he’s trying to con her. 

The fun that could be had with that one...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Les Izemore

I used to work with a guy who had a REALLY common forename and surname. We worked for a company that employed thousands of folks across the world and he would regularly get emails that weren’t meant for him. 
 

One day he called me over to see an email he’d been sent. 
 

It was a video of a lass that worked in a branch down south. One of ‘those’ videos. 
 

He sent a reply suggesting that  she should probably check the recipients address in future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

The fun that could be had with that one...


He found the real chap on LinkedIn, contacted him to let him know she’s sending emails to the wrong person and all he said was that she’s a nutter. 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get it all the time, my name means something when it's Surname Firstname, and that's my gmail address. There's a whole bunch of people in america who identify with my name and give my email address. There's a hotel group that I get security updates for (told them so many times), I get updates from one guy's DVD rental history (people still rent DVDs!), I think my email's a default one for tests sent by a sports apparel company but that one's a no-reply, and all sorts of one offs, things like quotes for building a fence in Texas, landscaping (also Texas)

 

No diddies yet though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
A Boy Named Crow
8 hours ago, Smithee said:

I get it all the time, my name means something when it's Surname Firstname, and that's my gmail address. There's a whole bunch of people in america who identify with my name and give my email address. There's a hotel group that I get security updates for (told them so many times), I get updates from one guy's DVD rental history (people still rent DVDs!), I think my email's a default one for tests sent by a sports apparel company but that one's a no-reply, and all sorts of one offs, things like quotes for building a fence in Texas, landscaping (also Texas)

 

No diddies yet though.

If I assume your last name is Smith, is your first name name Sonian???

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

If I assume your last name is Smith, is your first name name Sonian???

:laugh2:

 

"Alan Smithee (also Allen Smithee) is an official pseudonym used by film directors who wish to disown a project."

 

I figured an official pseudonym is a pretty good name to use online

Link to post
Share on other sites
A Boy Named Crow
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

:laugh2:

 

"Alan Smithee (also Allen Smithee) is an official pseudonym used by film directors who wish to disown a project."

 

I figured an official pseudonym is a pretty good name to use online

Ha, fair enough. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...