Free 21/22 Season Ticket for Motherwell fans who bought one for 20/21

Mars plastic

Amazing gesture and really impressive. They’ve done very well for a few years with their off the field communication and initiatives.

Forza Cuore
1 hour ago, His name is said:

Does anyone know how many they sold last year?

This is the big question. Not difficult to look good when there are feck all fans to give freebies to.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, His name is said:

Does anyone know how many they sold last year?

Just under 4,000.

Good gesture anyway.

Clerry Jambo
8 minutes ago, Forza Cuore said:

This is the big question. Not difficult to look good when there are feck all fans to give freebies to.

Doesn’t matter how many they’ve sold a truly magnificent gesture to their fans. 

Many other clubs should take heed on how to look after their life and blood.

Not saying season tickets should be free but a reminder on what football is all about and getting the fans back in the stadium after a miserable year for all

eyesandears

Classy. I'm guessing they've taken up the £1.8M government loan for SPFL clubs to be paid back interest free over 20 years. They may also have had a positive outcome from their insurance company for lost income. Otherwise there is no way they could afford to subsidise that gesture.

A club that punches above its weight on and off the field.

Forza Cuore
Just now, Clerry Jambo said:

Doesn’t matter how many they’ve sold a truly magnificent gesture to their fans. 

Many other clubs should take heed on how to look after their life and blood.

Not saying season tickets should be free but a reminder on what football is all about and getting the fans back in the stadium after a miserable year for all

No argument from me on that for sure. My point is if they had 15k season ticket holders I doubt they would be doing this. 

Clerry Jambo
Just now, Forza Cuore said:

No argument from me on that for sure. My point is if they had 15k season ticket holders I doubt they would be doing this. 

Probably not but it’s all relative. If their average gate was about 4/5 thousand home fans most would be season ticket holders 

davemclaren
15 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Probably not but it’s all relative. If their average gate was about 4/5 thousand home fans most would be season ticket holders 

They probably make as much money from away fans over a season. 

JamboGraham

This is being sold as some remarkable new gesture but as many pointed out 12 months ago Motherwell were taking a big gamble by going so hard on the promise that all season ticket holders for 20/21 would get 19 physical in person matches whenever that was possible or a refund on the 20/21 ticket for matches missed (100% of them).

In reality that means Motherwell now have no choice but to offer those 19 matches this coming season (I.e. a free season ticket), or refund already paid for tickets (where the money is long spent). This is going to leave a big hole in the Motherwell finances but not as much as having to refund already paid for tickets.

I suspect they will be hoping that a decent number of supporters will simply write it off and donate the equivalent of next seasons ticket money.

If any matches are impacted by limited crowds in 21/22 (very possible) then Motherwell could have fans going into matches in the 22/23 season having paid for the ticket in early 2020.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

**** Motherwell.

We are in agreement. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Fantastic gesture from a well run club.

Over to you Budge!!!

Let me plug that into my financial projection spreadsheet for next season………..oh shit!! 🥺

heartsfc_fan

Nice gesture.

I wonder how many of the 3,800 season ticket holders will actually sat, nah, happy to pay or even something towards it? Probably some.

Clever move i think, they get lots of great PR, they get the goodwill of fans who a lot will actually say 'that's amazing but I want to still pay' or buy more tickets and it will also help their future numbers. 

On a Hearts note, any idea what the final outcome of retail vouchers was? Do we get them soon or have i missed it? Or are Hearts hoping we had forgotten about all the promises made last year.

3750 season tickets, Turnbull sold for £3.75m.

We just needed to sell a player for £12m last season to do same.

(Or there or thereabouts and not necessarily being serious)

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

We are in agreement. 

Count me in as well.  I have no intention of praising the vast majority of clubs in Scotland for anything.

I've got a good memory.

**** Motherwell and **** that snake Alan Burrows. Have we really forgotten last summer already? The entire planet seems to be fawning over them just now. Didn’t expect it from Hearts fans too to be honest. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

**** Motherwell and **** that snake Alan Burrows. Have we really forgotten last summer already? The entire planet seems to be fawning over them just now. Didn’t expect it from Hearts fans too to be honest. 

🏼🏼🏼🏼🏼🏼Read this and exit thread,   No more needs said.

Seymour M Hersh

I doubt they have that sort of money to spare so it's either getting made up another way or they're flogging someone. 

letsalldothebeattie
6 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

3750 season tickets, Turnbull sold for £3.75m.

We just needed to sell a player for £12m last season to do same.

(Or there or thereabouts and not necessarily being serious)

So Loic Damour seems the logical player for us to achieve this goal then? :sweeet:

gashauskis9

Folk looking for negatives in this is pretty sad patter tbh.  the development fee for Campbell alone will cover most of those STs, and the walk ups/decent travelling away supports will cover their overheads.  

It’s simply good business and customer loyalty.  Look after your customers when times are tough and they’ll return the favour when the shoe is on the other foot.  That’s how good, small to medium size businesses operate in their communities.

Too easy to say “**** the opposition” here, but truth be told if it was Budge that had made this announcement she’d be getting bombarded with flowers again and FOH subs would rocket.  

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Good gesture, but Hearts' have already made a pretty reasonable compromise with those who purchased season tickets this season. It would be unfair to expect Hearts, with a much larger financial consequence, to do the same.

the sub goalie
1 hour ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Good gesture, but Hearts' have already made a pretty reasonable compromise with those who purchased season tickets this season. It would be unfair to expect Hearts, with a much larger financial consequence, to do the same.

Whilst I agree it would be difficult for us to offer similar, Motherwell should be applauded for the gesture and their engagement with their hardcore supporters.  I imagine the majority of those who can afford to pay for their season ticket will do so, reading their comms this will also add to allowing folk who do not have the disposable income to normally attend, to do so.  This will grow their fanbase, perhaps not massively but even a handful may buy a season ticket when their finances allow in the future.

I fear that there may be season tickets holders in our support who may not be able to renew due to job losses etc with this pandemic.  I hope the club can offer some assistance in this case.  Perhaps if they have been a season ticket holder for the last 5 years, could we still offer them the renewal and the cost is split over say 5 years?  Again, someone in that position when back in employment could pay it back a lot earlier.  I'm not sure how practical it would be and I guess proof would need to be shown of unemployment but it would be a shame to potentially lose loyal supporters with circumstances out with their control.

Gordon Ramsay
17 hours ago, DH1986 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

**** Motherwell. Shit place, shit club, shit fans. 

JamboGraham
2 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

It’s simply good business and customer loyalty.  Look after your customers when times are tough and they’ll return the favour when the shoe is on the other foot.  That’s how good, small to medium size businesses operate in their communities.

I am not so sure it’s good business. I do agree that it’s decent PR and a good communications strategy in response to a piece of bad business.

These season tickets are not free...for some reason Motherwell decided that their 20-21 stream was of zero commercial value and simply gave it away! We could debate all day what the value of these streams were to supporters but we can all be sure it wasn’t zero. Perhaps they assumed we would be back in the grounds last Autumn and gambled on this giveaway to increase sales last summer?

Most clubs went somewhere in the middle (including ours) and I suspect that the financial director at Motherwell is praying that the illusion of goodwill and a “free” season ticket will be enough to convince a decent number of Motherwell fans to simply donate some or all of the balance...

Maybe Motherwell are using the ~£1.6m interest free government loan to help fund this? Either way it's a win for their supporters.

18 hours ago, eyesandears said:

Classy. I'm guessing they've taken up the £1.8M government loan for SPFL clubs to be paid back interest free over 20 years. They may also have had a positive outcome from their insurance company for lost income. Otherwise there is no way they could afford to subsidise that gesture.

A club that punches above its weight on and off the field.

Probably upped the price for Campbell as well.

henryheart
4 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Folk looking for negatives in this is pretty sad patter tbh.  the development fee for Campbell alone will cover most of those STs, and the walk ups/decent travelling away supports will cover their overheads.  

Too easy to say “**** the opposition” here, but truth be told if it was Budge that had made this announcement she’d be getting bombarded with flowers again and FOH subs would rocket.  

I agree with everything you write, and most season ticket holders will be FOH contributors and would most likely up how much they give if Hearts were to do a Motherwell.  I don't see why Hearts couldn't do it, other than the fact that since Budge has taken over it is all about what the supporters can do for the club rather than the other way around.  

davemclaren
18 minutes ago, henryheart said:

I agree with everything you write, and most season ticket holders will be FOH contributors and would most likely up how much they give if Hearts were to do a Motherwell.  I don't see why Hearts couldn't do it, other than the fact that since Budge has taken over it is all about what the supporters can do for the club rather than the other way around.  

How much do you think 12,000 free season tickets would cost the club?

heartsfc_fan
45 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

At least £3.5 Million?

JamboGraham
18 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Motherwell said last year that to refund the 4 ‘missing’ home games would cost around £130k. So we can work out (roughly) that Motherwell must take in around £620k on season tickets.

The agreement they made with their season ticket holders last summer was 19 games in person or refunds. This means they still owe their fans 19 games in person (or a “free” season ticket as they have branded it). I think it highly likely that the “free” label is being used to try and minimise the numbers looking for a refund or to encourage goodwill from the support in the way of donations for 21/22. (To be fair this tactic seems to have legs as we see from so many posters in this thread).

Hearts offered a range of options but chose to use the streaming service to at least try and limit the financial loss for the club.

It’s Motherwell’s choice but due to the arrangements they made last summer they left themselves with no choice but this “gesture” and of course it’s easier when your season ticket money is 12% of your income and not 30-35% like us.

Our club could choose to do it...but it would harm our club, why would we want that? Like every season we have the option to buy or not, I don’t see why anyone would think a free option would be appropriate as well?

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Motherwell said last year that to refund the 4 ‘missing’ home games would cost around £130k. So we can work out (roughly) that Motherwell must take in around £620k on season tickets.

The agreement they made with their season ticket holders last summer was 19 games in person or refunds. This means they still owe their fans 19 games in person (or a “free” season ticket as they have branded it). I think it highly likely that the “free” label is being used to try and minimise the numbers looking for a refund or to encourage goodwill from the support in the way of donations for 21/22. (To be fair this tactic seems to have legs as we see from so many posters in this thread).

Hearts offered a range of options but chose to use the streaming service to at least try and limit the financial loss for the club.

It’s Motherwell’s choice but due to the arrangements they made last summer they left themselves with no choice but this “gesture” and of course it’s easier when your season ticket money is 12% of your income and not 30-35% like us.

Our club could choose to do it...but it would harm our club, why would we want that? Like every season we have the option to buy or not, I don’t see why anyone would think a free option would be appropriate as well?

Thanks, that makes it all very clear. 

Jasonauskas
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

It wouldn’t be 12000 though, those that bought a season ticket last year and are in a difficult financial situation post COVID would be able to see games next season, those who are not would likely donate to FOH, a small financial hit but significant PR & related kudos for looking out for the fans?

davemclaren
13 minutes ago, Jasonauskas said:

It wouldn’t be 12000 though, those that bought a season ticket last year and are in a difficult financial situation post COVID would be able to see games next season, those who are not would likely donate to FOH, a small financial hit but significant PR & related kudos for looking out for the fans?

Maybe aye, maybe naw. 

Motherwell are honouring their promise to their fans so 10/10 to them. Hearts will also honour their promise to their fans, also 10/10, so it's a draw.

Guest ToqueJambo
12 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Exactly this. We're supposed to praise Well and him for their concern for grassroots Scottish football fans when they voted to pile financial stress on three clubs and the many more supporters than the Well ones that will benefit from this "gesture".

Jamboelite

Didnt Motherwell have an insurance policy which paid out and covered the COVID situation ?

This might be a requirement to give back any money they took?

If not its a great gesture.

Edited by Jamboelite

6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

A nice, cheap, gesture is Ajax melting down their title trophy and making Champion Stars to hand out to their ST holders.

Not sure how chuffed people would be with a bit of the Championship trophy mind !

🥴