The Standabooter occupation

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

You tend to see these person's everywhere these days usually at car parks, building sites on the streets etc 

Mostly have the high vision vest with a safety helmet making a full time job directing, pointing, sometimes nodding,, thumbs uping, hands in pockets looking into their phone and starting into the distance, sometimes in groups of 3 or &4 They just seem to be everywhere up and down the country no doubt, I'm just wondering how you get one of these cushy job's and the training involved, what do they actually do, does anyone do this for a living? 

been here before

Loads working on behalf of the council or utility companies. Seem to be employed to stand at the edge of holes dug in pavements or roads.

Or herds of them walking back from shops with hot rolls and bottles of juice going somewhere.

Edited by been here before

Banksman? Stands at the gate all day and directs traffic into building sites. Looks like a long cold day for very little money

mrmarkus1981

I particularly like the ones that stand and point at the airport security bit 'number 4 please' etc etc

And the ones who point you to the empty passport scanning machines 'number 3 is empty'

What would we do without you 😕

Cairneyhill Jambo

Leonardo UK (formerly BAE/Marconi) at Crewe Toll is the best place to watch them.

I've been sitting in my car at the the pedestrian crossing and you see them going from one building and cross the road to the other.  Always carrying a thin carboard folder.  Obviously just away for a skive for a couple of hours.

Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo

1 hour ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Leonardo UK (formerly BAE/Marconi) at Crewe Toll is the best place to watch them.

I've been sitting in my car at the the pedestrian crossing and you see them going from one building and cross the road to the other.  Always carrying a thin carboard folder.  Obviously just away for a skive for a couple of hours.

I know a guy who worked in building control before he retired, and by his own admission, if he wanted out of the office for an hour, he just put a couple of clipboards or folders under his arm and went for a walk around the town.

I remember working at Sydney Opera House and there was a guy just standing at the side of the stage watching people work. After a couple of hours it got too much so I asked him what he was there for. He held up a walkie talkie and said he was in communications and he was there in case anyone needed anything sent up from the central stores or any other request related to the job. 
Just stood there for a 10 hour day, just in case. And not even allowed to help anyone due to the Aussie theatre union rules. So if there was something that was a 4 man lift and there were only 3 available they couldn’t ask this character to help as he was from a different department. And the wages are very good at the opera house. When I suggested it might be cheaper to just have a walkie talkie on a table that anyone could use if needed it didn’t go down too well. Apparently they have a system in place where everyone gets a shot of being the radio guy and having an easy day of it. 

Салатные палочки

The Covid testing sites are something else. I often wonder what these people did before working there. 

Standabouters

Looker-ons 

Observers 

Shouters

Shouters Assistants 

Move-Alongers

Stoppers 

I'm surprised the ones at Prestwick Airport haven't had a cargo plane land on them yet. The amount of hi-viz must confuse the pilots with the runway.  

scott herbertson
45 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

The Covid testing sites are something else. I often wonder what these people did before working there. 

Standabouters

Looker-ons 

Observers 

Shouters

Shouters Assistants 

Move-Alongers

Stoppers 

I'm surprised the ones at Prestwick Airport haven't had a cargo plane land on them yet. The amount of hi-viz must confuse the pilots with the runway.  

You've just put me off filling in my form to do the test centre at Blairgowrie

You do realise they are volunteers?

Салатные палочки
39 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

You've just put me off filling in my form to do the test centre at Blairgowrie

You do realise they are volunteers?

Fair play to them volunteering for that. Some of them were born for jobs like that. Like the guy that shouted at me as I was too slow putting my window up because its broken. 

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Fair play to them volunteering for that. Some of them were born for jobs like that. Like the guy that shouted at me as I was too slow putting my window up because its broken. 

oops

senior moment - thought you  meant the vaccinating centres

You're right. Those other guys are paid standabooters

🙂

Les Izemore
4 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Don’t knock it. I got away with that for 32 years. 

Saw a guy changing an adhesive sign about 4 foot long by 18" high on a board at ground level the other day. There were 3 other guys watching him.

6 hours ago, mutley said:

Banksman? Stands at the gate all day and directs traffic into building sites. Looks like a long cold day for very little money

Agree with you about the long cold day, but (as far as I know) banksmen are there for safety reasons where as standabooters are purely observational.

The Standabooters at Edinburgh airport work mainly in the ‘security’ section.

They invariably have beards, are rude, and call both males and females ‘guys’.

The airport does not directly employ them, much to the relief of the airport chiefs.

WoolfordsHearts

Every post on here by some old retired codger or wank kidding on their working from home.😆

Show some respect for people out there doing their bit ffs.

been here before
20 minutes ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

Every post on here by some old retired codger or wank kidding on their working from home.😆

Show some respect for people out there doing their bit ffs.

Aye cause the folk in hi vis gear standing about looking 'busy' are the only ones "out there doing their bit".

Howdy Doody Jambo

The Justin Case department sound's good (with a walkie talkie) bit terminology involved though "Rodger" "Over and out" 🔊 probably get a day off to do a module at college for that position

Early finish on a Friday back in on the Sunday on double time watching the fitbaw on the phone, Big Mac for lunch and a bright orange company jacket 

6 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Different departments on either side of the road. If they could all be fitted on the factory side there wouldn't be two buildings. Would save rather expensive avionics modules getting wheeled across the road on shoogly trollies as well.

Edited by EC_Hearts
addition

WoolfordsHearts
5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Aye cause the folk in hi vis gear standing about looking 'busy' are the only ones "out there doing their bit".

Settle down auld yin.

Or are you a kiddy on working from home wank?

10 minutes ago, EC_Hearts said:

Different departments on either side of the road. If they could all be fitted on the factory side there wouldn't be two buildings. Would save rather expensive avionics modules getting wheeled across the road on shoogly trollies as well.

Heavy rain tends to reduce the traffic mind you. Crewe Toll tends to house more "Sitabooters" rather than Standabouters

been here before
10 minutes ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

Settle down auld yin.

Or are you a kiddy on working from home wank?

Sadly not.

Im a worked right through wank.

You sounf like you've worked a wee bit so think you're a bit special. I work with a few of those so know where you're coming from.

Another flaming thread gone tits up.  😩🥺

It was a good one too, good title and a wee bit fun.

Oh well.  🤷🏿‍♂️

been here before
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Another flaming thread gone tits up.  😩🥺

It was a good one too, good title and a wee bit fun.

Oh well.  🤷🏿‍♂️

I originally thought it was some sort of German/Scandanavian job. Even after reading the OP it took a while to work out what a Standabooter was until the penny dropped   :lol:

1 minute ago, been here before said:

I originally thought it was some sort of German/Scandanavian job. Even after reading the OP it took a while to work out what a Standabooter was until the penny dropped   :lol:

It was a thread title that threw me briefly, once worked out however, I thought it was quite clever.

Needless to say though, it’s been aborted, as per usual.  🙄

10 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

The Justin Case department sound's good (with a walkie talkie) bit terminology involved though "Rodger" "Over and out" 🔊 probably get a day off to do a module at college for that position

Early finish on a Friday back in on the Sunday on double time watching the fitbaw on the phone, Big Mac for lunch and a bright orange company jacket 

I suppose every job has its down side 😉

11 hours ago, been here before said:

Of course they are. 

These people are contributing to paye and national insurance. We all. Can't be heroes