Jump to content

Alex Neil


Recommended Posts

Ethan Hunt
6 hours ago, Cut The Crap said:

 

Yes. If we can lose to a non-league team that hasn't played for 3 months, we can lose to anyone.

Is the correct answer!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Sir Gio

    14

  • Dusk_Till_Dawn

    9

  • fancy a brew

    8

  • Agentjambo

    7

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckydug
2 hours ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Doesn't really matter if we win. The rest of the teams in this league are so bad that they won't be able to get close to us. Winning the league by default and the good fortune that Craig Gordon was born a Jambo. 

ICT and RR looked more than useful in their recent games. 

We have to play both and I wouldn't be confident of taking points from either in the current climate. 

Failure to beat Alloa and panic will set in imo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
portobellojambo1
4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Maybe the telly at home might liven them up. Somebody might be watching, unlikely but you never know 

 

Maybe it would benefit us if the manager stayed home and watched the TV and someone else picked the team and provided any guidance from the sidelines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Maybe the telly at home might liven them up. Somebody might be watching, unlikely but you never know 

😉👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bongo 1874
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:


Nah. They’ll go more high profile. Trying to succeed Bielsa is impossible 

Poch after Marcelo 😉👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Gio
27 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

 

Maybe it would benefit us if the manager stayed home and watched the TV and someone else picked the team and provided any guidance from the sidelines.

Run a sweep to see which one of us runs the team Friday? I'll pass, too sensitive for the abuse  :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Gio
23 minutes ago, sadj said:

😉👍🏻

Interrupting the Masters for this, a labour of love

 

:sob:

Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

I pointed that out about 45 years ago.  😄

 

I would imagine that @jamboozy will reply to you shortly.

 

 

 

 

 

:phface:

 

Encore. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

 

:phface:

 

Encore. 

Pas de probleme, mon ami.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
David Black

I know this is out of the box thinking for Hearts, but why not just say to the players go out and express yourselves, go into areas of the pitch you have not been allowed to venture into before, run at defenders and get to the byline to get crosses in. To outrages, thought so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
the sub goalie
Just now, David Black said:

I know this is out of the box thinking for Hearts, but why not just say to the players go out and express yourselves, go into areas of the pitch you have not been allowed to venture into before, run at defenders and get to the byline to get crosses in. To outrages, thought so.

 

Whilst we need to have a formation/system, I don't think you're far off.  It appears that we are stifling players and not playing to their strengths.

 

I'm sure it was Sir Alex Ferguson who said something along the lines of they're good players, let them play.  I know he obviously had world class players but it is still relevant to the level you play at.  To often it is square pegs in round holes and we are the worst off for it, very frustrating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Old Tolbooth
14 minutes ago, David Black said:

I know this is out of the box thinking for Hearts, but why not just say to the players go out and express yourselves, go into areas of the pitch you have not been allowed to venture into before, run at defenders and get to the byline to get crosses in. To outrages, thought so.

 

It's handbrake Neilson, that's why. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
BarneyBattles
11 minutes ago, the sub goalie said:

I'm sure it was Sir Alex Ferguson who said something along the lines of they're good players, let them play.  I know he obviously had world class players but it is still relevant to the level you play at.  To often it is square pegs in round holes and we are the worst off for it, very frustrating.

 

Definitely something in that. I was watching that Busby documentary the other week and he was raging at half time in a game (I think it was the 1968 European cup final). He said to the players, what are you playing at, get out there, play football and enjoy yourselves. 

 

Similar with Clough, when he was asked what made him such a good manager he said he signs good players for each position and lets them get on with it.

 

As you say, much higher calibre of players of course but there's no doubt we're overthinking about how both we and the opposition play. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
bajthejambo
13 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

 

Definitely something in that. I was watching that Busby documentary the other week and he was raging at half time in a game (I think it was the 1968 European cup final). He said to the players, what are you playing at, get out there, play football and enjoy yourselves. 

 

Similar with Clough, when he was asked what made him such a good manager he said he signs good players for each position and lets them get on with it.

 

As you say, much higher calibre of players of course but there's no doubt we're overthinking about how both we and the opposition play. 

 

 

 

I think because we live in an era where the likes of Guradiola and Klopp are hailed as the best around, that every coach at every level feels that they have to have a sophisticated and modern tactical approach. That's all fine and well if you have the calibre of player and the resources to do so, but most coaches simply do not. I think it's quite egotistical too.

 

I've listened and read various interviews with younger ex pros and they all talk a good game (Woodgate, Caldwell and even MacPhee) but lack the awareness that they are expecting average and poorer players to perform at a level they can't. Causing them to fail, ultimately.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Agentjambo
8 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

 

I think because we live in an era where the likes of Guradiola and Klopp are hailed as the best around, that every coach at every level feels that they have to have a sophisticated and modern tactical approach. That's all fine and well if you have the calibre of player and the resources to do so, but most coaches simply do not. I think it's quite egotistical too.

 

I've listened and read various interviews with younger ex pros and they all talk a good game (Woodgate, Caldwell and even MacPhee) but lack the awareness that they are expecting average and poorer players to perform at a level they can't. Causing them to fail, ultimately.

 

 

Raith  rovers played a great pressing,counter attacking game against Dunfermline last week.Playing good passing attractive attacking football.

Link to post
Share on other sites
A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

Raith  rovers played a great pressing,counter attacking game against Dunfermline last week.Playing good passing attractive attacking football.


Yes and their manager wears a full Adidas tracksuit, but with a smart white shirt and tie. So the tracksuit gets swapped on for the actual suit but, without having to change the upper shirt & tie. That’s innovation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Agentjambo
5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:


Yes and their manager wears a full Adidas tracksuit, but with a smart white shirt and tie. So the tracksuit gets swapped on for the actual suit but, without having to change the upper shirt & tie. That’s innovation. 

Keep taking those tablets pal 🤪

Link to post
Share on other sites
bajthejambo
7 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Raith  rovers played a great pressing,counter attacking game against Dunfermline last week.Playing good passing attractive attacking football.

 

Should we get McGlynn back then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Agentjambo
1 minute ago, bajthejambo said:

 

Should we get McGlynn back then?

Just saying it is possible especially with our budget and quality of player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Raith  rovers played a great pressing,counter attacking game against Dunfermline last week.Playing good passing attractive attacking football.

 

John McGlynn is a good coach at that level. Probably excels at working with young players too. 

 

Not advocating getting him obviously, but he's doing some good work there. Should be proud of himself. Raith were in League 1 not too long ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
17 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Interrupting the Masters for this, a labour of love

 

:sob:

Indeed. Tough call tonight as well 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jamhammer
25 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

 

I think because we live in an era where the likes of Guradiola and Klopp are hailed as the best around, that every coach at every level feels that they have to have a sophisticated and modern tactical approach. That's all fine and well if you have the calibre of player and the resources to do so, but most coaches simply do not. I think it's quite egotistical too.

 

I've listened and read various interviews with younger ex pros and they all talk a good game (Woodgate, Caldwell and even MacPhee) but lack the awareness that they are expecting average and poorer players to perform at a level they can't. Causing them to fail, ultimately.

 

 

This is the answer. Sign players you KNOW can do a job and ask them to do that job. Don’t sign a box to box midfielder (Maceneff) and make him a DM

Dont sign wingers who can’t beat a man.

Dont sign goalkeepers who are good with their feet but couldn’t  stop a f’n beach ball.

Its not nuclear physics 

Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
28 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

 

I think because we live in an era where the likes of Guradiola and Klopp are hailed as the best around, that every coach at every level feels that they have to have a sophisticated and modern tactical approach. That's all fine and well if you have the calibre of player and the resources to do so, but most coaches simply do not. I think it's quite egotistical too.

 

I've listened and read various interviews with younger ex pros and they all talk a good game (Woodgate, Caldwell and even MacPhee) but lack the awareness that they are expecting average and poorer players to perform at a level they can't. Causing them to fail, ultimately.

 

 

If this was Klopp’s first season at Liverpool lots of their fans would be wanting him moved on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Agentjambo
1 minute ago, OTT said:

 

John McGlynn is a good coach at that level. Probably excels at working with young players too. 

 

Not advocating getting him obviously, but he's doing some good work there. Should be proud of himself. Raith were in League 1 not too long ago. 

Watched an interview with Brendan Rogers recently.He stated when looking for transfer targets he looks for players that are hungry,willing to learn and are coachable.you can see by a few of the players he’s signed recently that they are young players that I presume tick those 3 boxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
bajthejambo
4 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Just saying it is possible especially with our budget and quality of player.

 

Fair enough. My point was in agreement with the post I quoted that football seems to be over complicated. Play players in their correct positions and let them do what they are good at. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Agentjambo
2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

This is the answer. Sign players you KNOW can do a job and ask them to do that job. Don’t sign a box to box midfielder (Maceneff) and make him a DM

Dont sign wingers who can’t beat a man.

Dont sign goalkeepers who are good with their feet but couldn’t  stop a f’n beach ball.

Its not nuclear physics 

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
Agentjambo
Just now, bajthejambo said:

 

Fair enough. My point was in agreement with the post I quoted that football seems to be over complicated. Play players in their correct positions and let them do what they are good at. 

Totally agree,find a style bring in a manager/coach that can implement that style of play and recruit players that are comfortable playing that style.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Section Q
17 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

 

Maybe it would benefit us if the manager stayed home and watched the TV and someone else picked the team and provided any guidance from the sidelines.

I'll have a bash. Always wanted to swear at a ref and get a good seat in the stand......👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamboAl
13 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Totally agree,find a style bring in a manager/coach that can implement that style of play and recruit players that are comfortable playing that style.

Might work if you're starting from scratch with a shed load of money

BUT

when you go into a club, you  must consider the length and terms of players' contracts and their employment rights.

From practical and financial viewpoints, you have to go in and work out how best to play with the resources you inherit and make adjustments as and when circumstances allow, at the same time keeping your fingers crossed that you avoid injuries and suspensions.  Even with just one or two  players missing it could upset the apple cart as Liverpool found out with Van Dijk/Henderson injured and Spurs with just Kane out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, David Black said:

I know this is out of the box thinking for Hearts, but why not just say to the players go out and express yourselves, go into areas of the pitch you have not been allowed to venture into before, run at defenders and get to the byline to get crosses in. To outrages, thought so.

Exactly.  I wonder what would happen if the players took a decision to ignore his instructions and just go out and play their own game, free from the restrictions placed upon them?  Would they be dropped for the next game(s)?  Couldn't be worse than what we're witnessing atm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Leveins Battalion

Maybe Ann has one eye on the impending Economic Collapse rather than spend more cash punting Rob?🤣

 

Punt all our players and buy some bullion.😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Gio
42 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Watched an interview with Brendan Rogers recently.He stated when looking for transfer targets he looks for players that are hungry,willing to learn and are coachable.you can see by a few of the players he’s signed recently that they are young players that I presume tick those 3 boxes.

And when you can't get those, down the food chain you end up trying to polish turds

Link to post
Share on other sites
Des Lynam
42 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

 

football seems to be over complicated. Play players in their correct positions and let them do what they are good at. 


This. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
ford donald
4 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

Watched an interview with Brendan Rogers recently.He stated when looking for transfer targets he looks for players that are hungry,willing to learn and are coachable.you can see by a few of the players he’s signed recently that they are young players that I presume tick those 3 boxes.

 

It's a good philosophy he has,happy to bring good pros in with potential,he is a top manager,no doubts about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2021 at 20:24, Deodato said:

You heard it here first. 

 

Alex Neil: Preston North End report Stoke City to Football League over  manager approach | Football News | Sky Sports

 

So to get this thread back on track Deodato.....its a yes from me 😁

Any idea when it'll be announced? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
TypoonJambo
5 minutes ago, GYL said:

So to get this thread back on track Deodato.....its a yes from me 😁

Any idea when it'll be announced? 

Straight after tomorrow's draw with Alloa 

Link to post
Share on other sites
ford donald
6 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

Raith  rovers played a great pressing,counter attacking game against Dunfermline last week.Playing good passing attractive attacking football.

 

Was very impressed with their playing standard,never stopped attacking for 90min, always looking for goals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, the sub goalie said:

 

Whilst we need to have a formation/system, I don't think you're far off.  It appears that we are stifling players and not playing to their strengths.

 

I'm sure it was Sir Alex Ferguson who said something along the lines of they're good players, let them play.  I know he obviously had world class players but it is still relevant to the level you play at.  To often it is square pegs in round holes and we are the worst off for it, very frustrating.

Ours are all hiding. Apart from Boyce.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...