Car advice

Carl Fredrickson

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

I was one of the "don't buy French" gang for years but things have definitely changed and I bought a Peugeot 3008 last year and love it. 👍

Ta. I have been looking at the 2008, will check the 3008 and see what I can afford. 

6 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

2 door Italian thoroughbred.

Fiat what? I was asking. :D

I take it you mean the 500.

Tommy Brown
11 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Kuga is a car that I have no experience of but there are plenty available. Looks a decent size too. 

I'm on my 2nd private hire. Absolutely  love it. Next one i may buy as keep for as long as possible. 

Go for titanium spec. 1.5 petrol. You'll get rear parking  sensors. I didn't have on my first, but really missed having.

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

I'm on my 2nd private hire. Absolutely  love it. Next one i may buy as keep for as long as possible. 

Go for titanium spec. 1.5 petrol. You'll get rear parking  sensors. I didn't have on my first, but really missed having.

Cheers Tommy. Now that I have parking sensors I dont think I could go with a car that doesnt have them

13 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thats good to hear. I know someone and his job is to look after the Vauxhall mechanic trainees. He has done this job for years and he told me, up until recently, to avoid Vauxhalls (for years he wouldnt use his company car). I will check out the Insignia. 

Just to counter that slightly it is Vauxhall that my employer generally uses as company cars. Pretty much everyone I've spoken to has had issues (minor to significant) with them despite often being brand new and the user doing quite low mileage.

I use one now and again for certain jobs and I must say I wouldn't consider owning one personally. I had a Seat and a VW as my last two own cars and they are miles better imo.

heartsfc_fan

SEAT and Skoda's are decent cars. I've got a Leon FR for a bit of country road fun, just the hatchback but I'm not the one that ferries the kids about so don't need a big boot.

The wife has a Skoda Rapid hatchback. No frills car that is a slightly smaller version of the Octavia. You can pick up 2018 plate ones (they've stopped making the Rapid now in place of the Skoda Scala) for about £8,000. An absolute bargain. Huge boot and decent enough to drive with a wee zippy turbo petrol engine. Get at least the midrange SE spec and the low end models are a bit basic.

Few of the private hire taxis are these and they seem to last.

Edited by heartsfc_fan

Carl Fredrickson
39 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Just to counter that slightly it is Vauxhall that my employer generally uses as company cars. Pretty much everyone I've spoken to has had issues (minor to significant) with them despite often being brand new and the user doing quite low mileage.

I use one now and again for certain jobs and I must say I wouldn't consider owning one personally. I had a Seat and a VW as my last two own cars and they are miles better imo.

5 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

SEAT and Skoda's are decent cars. I've got a Leon FR for a bit of country road fun, just the hatchback but I'm not the one that ferries the kids about so don't need a big boot.

The wife has a Skoda Rapid hatchback. No frills car that is a slightly smaller version of the Octavia. You can pick up 2018 plate ones (they've stopped making the Rapid now in place of the Skoda Scala) for about £8,000. An absolute bargain. Huge boot and decent enough to drive with a wee zippy turbo petrol engine. Get at least the midrange SE spec and the low end models are a bit basic.

Few of the private hire taxis are these and they seem to last.

Thanks for this. These are the kind of things that I find useful. 

18 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

It is that time again when I am looking to replace my car. Five years ago the JKB faithful were very helpful and once more I am after advice. 

The last time I opted for a Nissan Note (dont laugh) and it has been a great car. However life has moved on, my two kids are getting bigger and I am also a carer for a parent. 

I am looking for a 3-4 year old larger family car with a £13k budget. I am not too fussy about 0 to 60 times or cornering at speed performance as I am a slower driver than in my youth. Reliable, practical and comfy is now what I am after (not just in cars...)

Requirements are:

decent size boot (my 10 year old son puts displays on at Lego events so we need room for boxes of Lego)

a bit higher than a Note for easier access for my elderly mum. 

reasonable running costs

I would be looking to buy from a garage rather then private. My initial thought was to move up to a Qashaqi but I have looked at dozens of other makes and models since then. 

My budget has allowed me to look at BMW and Audi. I quite like some Skodas and have had good experiences with Ford in the past. 

Historically I have been told to avoid French cars but having read a lot recently, it looks like they arent as bad as they maybe were years ago. Has anyone recent experience of them?

As always, thanks in advance. 

If your not set on an SUV style car then i'd look at either a 3/5 series touring or a Volvo XC60 estate

Edited by Ribble

17 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

My Megan was an 05 plate and I bought it when it was 3 years old. I have heard that the French makes are a lot more reliable now.

My initial thoughts were to go for a Qashqai and the Kadjar is very similar. The only thing I cant see on the Kadjar is that one of the Qashqai models have a heated windscreen which appeals to me. It is normally Fords that have them and it is handy to have in winter. 

So many great suggestions on this thread to make me look at lots of different cars. Thanks for your input. 

I think Ford had a certain patent on heated windscreens that meant other manufacturers couldnt have them. But that expired 1/2 years ago so expect to see them in more cars from now on.

Edited by Gershwin

Carl Fredrickson
52 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

I think Ford had a certain patent on heated windscreens that meant other manufacturers couldnt have them. But that expired 1/2 years ago so expect to see them in more cars from now on.

Yeah it was a Ford thing but others could use it if they coughed up a fee. I miss not having it which could swing me back to a Ford or Nissan as they have them on some models. 

9 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Ended up getting a titanium diesel, got parking sensors on mine too. Really like the car, got some pull in it too

Tommy Brown
18 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Ended up getting a titanium diesel, got parking sensors on mine too. Really like the car, got some pull in it too

I'm the same with 2.0 diesel, tow a caravan. (ther, I've said it :lol:)

Really good car, 

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

I'm the same with 2.0 diesel, tow a caravan. (ther, I've said it :lol:)

Really good car, 

Nothing wrong with a caravan! Loved going away trips here and there. Took one to euro Disney with the ex and 2 kids. Was an experience!

Carl Fredrickson
12 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Nothing wrong with a caravan! Loved going away trips here and there. Took one to euro Disney with the ex and 2 kids. Was an experience!

Was it able to fit on any of the rides :peepwall:

7 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Yeah it was a Ford thing but others could use it if they coughed up a fee. I miss not having it which could swing me back to a Ford or Nissan as they have them on some models. 

Nasty wavy lines on the windscreen. Awful stuff.

Skoda certainly offer it now so I'd expect every other V.A.G. group car to also have.