Jump to content

Wi Fi advice /help


3fingersreid

Recommended Posts

3fingersreid

Can someone tell me if this is a decent result ? Also we’re now supposed to be on the new improved wi fi from virgin , we used to get two signals from the router but now only have one is this normal ? Been trying to contact them but getting nowhere 😡

cheers👍🏻

35D7E03A-D4E2-4617-BB57-A0CE61BF098B.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
16 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Can someone tell me if this is a decent result ? Also we’re now supposed to be on the new improved wi fi from virgin , we used to get two signals from the router but now only have one is this normal ? Been trying to contact them but getting nowhere 😡

cheers👍🏻

35D7E03A-D4E2-4617-BB57-A0CE61BF098B.png

Thats good Wi Fi.  Very healthy upload as well

Link to post
Share on other sites
mrmarkus1981

You will have had a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz option before, your devices will connect to the best one available. I know in my router you can choose to broadcast both but don't really see any advantage.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
11 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

You will have had a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz option before, your devices will connect to the best one available. I know in my router you can choose to broadcast both but don't really see any advantage.

 

 

That’s exactly what we had , we lost the 5G a couple of months back , guy came out and fixed it now we’ve only got the 5G 🤷🏻‍♂️, wasn’t sure if that was due to an upgrade on the WiFi signal we received ? 
If you could actually speak to someone at virgin it would be helpful 😡

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
25 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Thats good Wi Fi.  Very healthy upload as well

Cheers , I’ll quote that when my daughters moan at me like it’s my fault they’re not happy about the wifi signal 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stuart McNeill

im with Virgin and get 200 down / 20 up.

 

 

how are you getting 40mb Up but only 140 down? is your download meant to be faster?

 

14 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

You will have had a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz option before, your devices will connect to the best one available. I know in my router you can choose to broadcast both but don't really see any advantage.

 

 

2.4 will provide a better wifi connection the further away you are but it will be slower but 5ghz is the opposite. Short distance, faster speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lemongrab
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Can someone tell me if this is a decent result ? Also we’re now supposed to be on the new improved wi fi from virgin , we used to get two signals from the router but now only have one is this normal ? Been trying to contact them but getting nowhere 😡

cheers👍🏻

35D7E03A-D4E2-4617-BB57-A0CE61BF098B.png

If your router is a Hub3, you'll be able to turn on 2.4Ghz in the settings.  Some older devices wont connect to 5GHz (my PS4 and my daughters older iPhone for example.)  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stuart Lyon

I'm with Virgin and their speeds says I'm getting 292 and 42

 

Broadband speed checker says 246 and 36

 

I'm supposed to have been upgraded free of charge to M600 speed but as you can see I'm barely approaching half of that.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
6 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

If your router is a Hub3, you'll be able to turn on 2.4Ghz in the settings.  Some older devices wont connect to 5GHz (my PS4 and my daughters older iPhone for example.)  

How do I access settings ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
9 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

If your router is a Hub3, you'll be able to turn on 2.4Ghz in the settings.  Some older devices wont connect to 5GHz (my PS4 and my daughters older iPhone for example.)  

Just googled it , I think I’ll give that a miss , I’ll probably blow the bugger up 😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lemongrab
1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

How do I access settings ? 

 

Type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of a browser and you'll get the log on page.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
Just now, Lemongrab said:

 

Type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of a browser and you'll get the log on page.

👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
10 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Just googled it , I think I’ll give that a miss , I’ll probably blow the bugger up 😂😂😂

You're best getting the 2.4 turned on as 5 doesn't have a very good range and is on a much narrower band.

 

Your speedtest "looks" ok but I don't know what you're paying for or what you actually receive at the router. What does it read if you connect with a cable? 

 

This also looks good but there's not much context behind that thought. I only get this speed between midnight and 06:00 at a specific location.

 

Screenshot_20210305-121710.thumb.png.11c17ae3f3fdd3158914f30b1bc9b3d8.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
9 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

You're best getting the 2.4 turned on as 5 doesn't have a very good range and is on a much narrower band.

 

Your speedtest "looks" ok but I don't know what you're paying for or what you actually receive at the router. What does it read if you connect with a cable? 

 

This also looks good but there's not much context behind that thought. I only get this speed between midnight and 06:00 at a specific location.

 

Screenshot_20210305-121710.thumb.png.11c17ae3f3fdd3158914f30b1bc9b3d8.png

Why would the 2g switch off though ? and I’m taking it there’s nothing dodgy in doing what Lemongrab has kindly advised me to do ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Why would the 2g switch off though ? and I’m taking it there’s nothing dodgy in doing what Lemongrab has kindly advised me to do ?

No, that's just how you need to access your settings. He's not trying to hack you. 

 

I'd expect it would need to be turned off manually and maybe the engineer done it? I can't really think why though as whilst it isn't as fast as the 5g connection it's much more stable and less likely to drop out. It will also hold a connection from a longer distance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo314

Not sure if related but there was a major VM Wi-Fi issue earlier this morning UK wide.

Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfcbilly
3 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Can someone tell me if this is a decent result ? Also we’re now supposed to be on the new improved wi fi from virgin , we used to get two signals from the router but now only have one is this normal ? Been trying to contact them but getting nowhere 😡

cheers👍🏻

35D7E03A-D4E2-4617-BB57-A0CE61BF098B.png

Don't know much about speeds etc but I get 48 download and 15 upload on my sky broadband over WiFi so yours must be rapid 😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hmfcbilly said:

Don't know much about speeds etc but I get 48 download and 15 upload on my sky broadband over WiFi so yours must be rapid 😂😂

48? Jesus man, it’s 2021 😀

Ive been with Virgin for years and thy have always been rock solid and faster than other suppliers. Bloody awful customer service by all accounts but in almost 20 years I’ve only had no service for one day due to flooding. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

48? Jesus man, it’s 2021 😀

Ive been with Virgin for years and thy have always been rock solid and faster than other suppliers. Bloody awful customer service by all accounts but in almost 20 years I’ve only had no service for one day due to flooding. 

48's sufficient for most people's needs though. I get 79 which is plentiful. I might move to Virgin in a few months and they'll give me 600+ but I can't say I value it very much. I'll only move if sky don't move on price at the end of my contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

48's sufficient for most people's needs though. I get 79 which is plentiful. I might move to Virgin in a few months and they'll give me 600+ but I can't say I value it very much. I'll only move if sky don't move on price at the end of my contract.

I wasn’t being entirely serious. I got upgraded to 200 a while back and can’t tell the difference to the previous hundred. And when I got 100 I couldn’t tell the difference to the previous 50. I only notice it if I’m downloading stuff really. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfcbilly
17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

48? Jesus man, it’s 2021 😀

Ive been with Virgin for years and thy have always been rock solid and faster than other suppliers. Bloody awful customer service by all accounts but in almost 20 years I’ve only had no service for one day due to flooding. 

😂😂😂 I thought that was quite good! I'm in the Scottish borders though so it probably is good for down here! No virgin with their fancy wired down this way I'm afraid! Im on sky's superfast broadband boost (or something like that) and don't have any issues streaming from firesticks and I've 2 skyQ mini boxes run off the WiFi too. Only issue I get is sometimes my skyQ mini box that I have in my mancave (am I allowed to say that now or do I call it a non-bindary, gender neutral cave?? Nah, sod it ..im a man and it's my cave so it's a mancave) in the garden loses connection. I usually have to turn off the power and the TP link (I have an ethernet cable run from the Q box in to the TP link) for a few minutes then it all works fine again. Bloody annoying if you're in the middle of watching something though!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

No, that's just how you need to access your settings. He's not trying to hack you. 

 

I'd expect it would need to be turned off manually and maybe the engineer done it? I can't really think why though as whilst it isn't as fast as the 5g connection it's much more stable and less likely to drop out. It will also hold a connection from a longer distance. 

I didn’t mean it to come across as hacking me , bloody hell I think I’d better send him an apology 😱

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I wasn’t being entirely serious. I got upgraded to 200 a while back and can’t tell the difference to the previous hundred. And when I got 100 I couldn’t tell the difference to the previous 50. I only notice it if I’m downloading stuff really. 

I get you though. I had virgin 6 years ago and was getting 160 then. It was the upload speeds I noticed more.

 

I love the idea of 600+ but I really don't need more than what I have right now and I'm not a fan of Virgin's tv service so there would be a big compromise for me there. Sky aren't going to get £140pm from me though so I might end up with virgin anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid

Thanks for all the help and advice folks , managed to get it sorted , you’ve made this technophobe very happy and proud 😂😂😂😂😂

 

they can keep google , Kickback is where the knowledge is 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/03/2021 at 15:57, IronJambo said:

48's sufficient for most people's needs though. I get 79 which is plentiful. I might move to Virgin in a few months and they'll give me 600+ but I can't say I value it very much. I'll only move if sky don't move on price at the end of my contract.

 

Correct, I know someone who lives on their own, doesn't really stream tv and isn't a gamer, they pay something like 75 quid a month for hyperoptic to get 1gb speeds. Doesn't get it when i say it's a waste of money.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
On 10/03/2021 at 12:08, 3fingersreid said:

Can someone tell me if this is a decent result ? Also we’re now supposed to be on the new improved wi fi from virgin , we used to get two signals from the router but now only have one is this normal ? Been trying to contact them but getting nowhere 😡

cheers👍🏻

35D7E03A-D4E2-4617-BB57-A0CE61BF098B.png

It'll be broadcasting under one name but over both 2.4 + 5ghz frequencies. There'll be an option to separate them in the settings if you need to

 

If you're using a Hub 3 it's absolutely terrible, I have 500mb here but the connection constantly stopped over wi-fi.

I bought a router and put the Hub 3 into modem mode and my connection's wicked now

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
On 10/03/2021 at 13:30, 3fingersreid said:

How do I access settings ? 

 

On 10/03/2021 at 13:33, Lemongrab said:

 

Type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of a browser and you'll get the log on page.

I have in mind it's 192.168.10.1 on Virgin but could be wrong. It'll say on the router though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lemongrab
Just now, Smithee said:

 

I have in mind it's 192.168.10.1 on Virgin but could be wrong. It'll say on the router though.

It is 192.168.0.1, but it changes to 192.168.100.1 if you've set your router to modem mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
Just now, Lemongrab said:

It is 192.168.0.1, but it changes to 192.168.100.1 if you've set your router to modem mode.

Cheers 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
55 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It'll be broadcasting under one name but over both 2.4 + 5ghz frequencies. There'll be an option to separate them in the settings if you need to

 

If you're using a Hub 3 it's absolutely terrible, I have 500mb here but the connection constantly stopped over wi-fi.

I bought a router and put the Hub 3 into modem mode and my connection's wicked now

It is a Hub3 but what’s the bit about buying a router , hub into modem mode??? 
That’s just confusing me , in the same way mathematics does .

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

It is a Hub3 but what’s the bit about buying a router , hub into modem mode??? 
That’s just confusing me , in the same way mathematics does .


Do you have a large area for the Wi-fi to cover ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
18 minutes ago, Dazo said:


Do you have a large area for the Wi-fi to cover ? 

Nah , it was just the fact that the 2.4g signal had disappeared , 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 3fingersreid said:

Nah , it was just the fact that the 2.4g signal had disappeared , 


It’s handy to turn the hub into modem only mode if you need extended Wi-fi coverage. I use a mesh network connected to the hub so it covers the whole house. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
22 minutes ago, Dazo said:


It’s handy to turn the hub into modem only mode if you need extended Wi-fi coverage. I use a mesh network connected to the hub so it covers the whole house. 

See what you’ve said there has just went right over my head 😂😂, I guess if you were showing me what you were doing I might just about get it , but you’ve got to remember you’re talking to a coward when it comes to technology 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

It is a Hub3 but what’s the bit about buying a router , hub into modem mode??? 
That’s just confusing me , in the same way mathematics does .

If it works for you don't worry about it.

 

If you're interested, there's two parts to your Hub 3. The modem is the part that speaks to your internet provider and gets the internet into the house, the router is the part that distributes it to all the devices in the house. 

 

The router part of the Hub 3 is terrible for many, but it works just fine for a lot of people too. But you have the option to turn that part off, putting it into modem mode and adding a quality external router if you do have problems

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

See what you’ve said there has just went right over my head 😂😂, I guess if you were showing me what you were doing I might just about get it , but you’ve got to remember you’re talking to a coward when it comes to technology 😀

 Haha no worries. Simply put the supplied hubs sometimes don’t give great Wi-fi all around the house. You can turn the hub into a dumb box basically that will allow you to connect a more powerful Wi-fi solution. In my case I use a mesh system, several boxes that create a single Wi-fi network that covers the house. You seem to working fine though so ignore. 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
9 hours ago, Smithee said:

If it works for you don't worry about it.

 

If you're interested, there's two parts to your Hub 3. The modem is the part that speaks to your internet provider and gets the internet into the house, the router is the part that distributes it to all the devices in the house. 

 

The router part of the Hub 3 is terrible for many, but it works just fine for a lot of people too. But you have the option to turn that part off, putting it into modem mode and adding a quality external router if you do have problems

 

45 minutes ago, Dazo said:

 Haha no worries. Simply put the supplied hubs sometimes don’t give great Wi-fi all around the house. You can turn the hub into a dumb box basically that will allow you to connect a more powerful Wi-fi solution. In my case I use a mesh system, several boxes that create a single Wi-fi network that covers the house. You seem to working fine though so ignore. 😂

You two both seem to be trying to tell me the same thing and somehow I think I get what you’re talking about ( miracles can happen) . 
Make  the Hub3 purely a modem , then buy 2or 3 routers that you connect to the modem and place them around the house , which you then connect to your devices ? 
Is it easy enough to connect the hub and the routers ? 

Seems the Hub3 isn’t all it’s cracked up to be reading about it on the virgin chat pages , which by the way doesn’t give the same help to sort issues as I got on here 👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

 

You two both seem to be trying to tell me the same thing and somehow I think I get what you’re talking about ( miracles can happen) . 
Make  the Hub3 purely a modem , then buy 2or 3 routers that you connect to the modem and place them around the house , which you then connect to your devices ? 
Is it easy enough to connect the hub and the routers ? 

Seems the Hub3 isn’t all it’s cracked up to be reading about it on the virgin chat pages , which by the way doesn’t give the same help to sort issues as I got on here 👍🏻


It’s only an issue and worth the expense if you lose Wi-fi signal around the home or have issues with the hub to be honest. Set up is a piece of piss, first box connect to the hub directly via rj45(network) cable and the subsequent nodes connect wirelessly and in my experience is pretty automated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
17 minutes ago, Dazo said:


It’s only an issue and worth the expense if you lose Wi-fi signal around the home or have issues with the hub to be honest. Set up is a piece of piss, first box connect to the hub directly via rj45(network) cable and the subsequent nodes connect wirelessly and in my experience is pretty automated. 

I’ll keep this info stored in the back of my mind in case of future issues 👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...