Jump to content

Curious Case of Robbie Neilson


This is My Story Podcast

Recommended Posts

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

We are and have been for years lacking pace where it matters. Teams like Raith and Morton are coming to Tynecastle and giving us a hard time because their wide players are quick even though they have not much skill. Doesn't help of course that our defence is shocking. 

 

Pace is everything up front in Scotland. Most Scottish defenders are big lumps but they're positionally sound and good at facing an attacker head on. But most of them can't deal with pace. 10 years ago we did well with a front three of Skacel, Kyle and Templeton, who was lightening quick. Last time in the Championship we had Walker, King and Nicholson behind Sow - none of them blistering but all three quick enough combined. 

 

Levein and his turgid build up bollocks and obsession with box soccer drills eliminated all pace from the team. I don't know if Neilson knows that or not but signings like Frear and GMS suggest not. 

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

We are and have been for years lacking pace where it matters. Teams like Raith and Morton are coming to Tynecastle and giving us a hard time because their wide players are quick even though they have not much skill. Doesn't help of course that our defence is shocking. 

 

Pace is everything up front in Scotland. Most Scottish defenders are big lumps but they're positionally sound and good at facing an attacker head on. But most of them can't deal with pace. 10 years ago we did well with a front three of Skacel, Kyle and Templeton, who was lightening quick. Last time in the Championship we had Walker, King and Nicholson behind Sow - none of them blistering but all three quick enough combined. 

 

Levein and his turgid build up bollocks and obsession with box soccer drills eliminated all pace from the team. I don't know if Neilson knows that or not but signings like Frear and GMS suggest not. 


Agree.

 

QOTS appeared to have recruited better than us for pacy dangerous attackers from what I saw.

Link to post
Share on other sites
ToqueJambo

It's not curious when you accept that much of the criticism stems from his perceived close relationships with Levein and Budge.

 

If Stendel was still in charge and was signing attacking players and managing in a pandemic and winning the league comfortably, plus beat Hibs and nearly won the SC, fans would be "Go on Daniel, keep at it. The players aren't performing for you every game it's difficult with no fans but you'll get there. All that matters is promotion this year and you're doing a good job with that so far. Once you get a proper summer window and the pandemic os over we'll see the best of your team."

 

Neilson's getting none of that benefit of the doubt (while the players are getting quite an easy ride) and the reason is some folk are simply against him no matter what he does. Same as they were with Levein and same as they are with Budge. I disagree the support is as split as you say though. Online is not the same as real life. With a full Tynecastle we wouldn't be seeing such insipid performances, and most of us (aside form the group mentioned above) would be loving winning again.

Edited by ToqueJambo
Link to post
Share on other sites
ToqueJambo
35 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:


Agree.

 

QOTS appeared to have recruited better than us for pacy dangerous attackers from what I saw.

 

I'm not sure there's anyone as pacy or direct as Ginnelly in our league.

Link to post
Share on other sites
NANOJAMBO
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

 

Neilson's getting none of that benefit of the doubt (while the players are getting quite an easy ride) and the reason is some folk are simply against him no matter what he does.  

No, they're not. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO
Link to post
Share on other sites
ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Everyone at the club is getting an easy ride, while there are no crowds

 

Think no crowds is having a much bigger impact on team and individual performances than a lot of people think.

 

Thought this was an interesting listen last year - https://www.npr.org/2020/08/19/903880928/how-the-lack-of-fans-is-changing-the-psychology-of-sports. American but a lot of the psychology stuff no doubt applies even more with typical Scottish football crowds.

 

"So because athletes have, you know, their own individual zones that they perform at their best in, an athlete who really, really needs that crowd noise and that experience of that energy to perform may certainly have less energy and less drive to be able to play at their best. The early sort of evidence is showing that in the games, across all sports, that the play is sort of less fancy. There's more passes. There's less individuals that are sort of taking on their own, you know, strategy to dunk the ball or to shoot."

Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

 

Think no crowds is having a much bigger impact on team and individual performances than a lot of people think.

 

Thought this was an interesting listen last year - https://www.npr.org/2020/08/19/903880928/how-the-lack-of-fans-is-changing-the-psychology-of-sports. American but a lot of the psychology stuff no doubt applies even more with typical Scottish football crowds.

 

"So because athletes have, you know, their own individual zones that they perform at their best in, an athlete who really, really needs that crowd noise and that experience of that energy to perform may certainly have less energy and less drive to be able to play at their best. The early sort of evidence is showing that in the games, across all sports, that the play is sort of less fancy. There's more passes. There's less individuals that are sort of taking on their own, you know, strategy to dunk the ball or to shoot."

Dunking has indeed been lacking. 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
colinmaroon
29 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Dunking has indeed been lacking. 😄

 

 

But plenty of Doughnuts!   😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
WheatfieldWarrior

Add an extra defender to play more attacking football.  

 

5-3-2 is what adding a defender gives you. 

 

Agreed with a lot of what you said up until that point.

 

I think Robbie's a McInnes type manager, he'll get us up the top end of the premier league - I have no doubt in this.  It won't be pretty at times, but there will be european places to challenge for.

 

I would like us to score more in the first half, but it's a minor concern and I'll take the points for a scrappy win over an attacking display that ends in defeat.  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
This is My Story Podcast
14 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's not curious when you accept that much of the criticism stems from his perceived close relationships with Levein and Budge.

 

If Stendel was still in charge and was signing attacking players and managing in a pandemic and winning the league comfortably, plus beat Hibs and nearly won the SC, fans would be "Go on Daniel, keep at it. The players aren't performing for you every game it's difficult with no fans but you'll get there. All that matters is promotion this year and you're doing a good job with that so far. Once you get a proper summer window and the pandemic os over we'll see the best of your team."

 

Neilson's getting none of that benefit of the doubt (while the players are getting quite an easy ride) and the reason is some folk are simply against him no matter what he does. Same as they were with Levein and same as they are with Budge. I disagree the support is as split as you say though. Online is not the same as real life. With a full Tynecastle we wouldn't be seeing such insipid performances, and most of us (aside form the group mentioned above) would be loving winning again.

I said this on the Talking Baws Scottish football podcast. I basically said that Robbie is seen, by some in the support, as the lapdog to Budge and previously Levein so no matter what he does, won’t succeed with that section of the fan base. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...