Hamburger Stadtderby tonight

VikingHeart

VikingHeart

Who do you want to win the game? The former dinos or the Reperbahn privateers? Being a viking I prefer the Northern teams over the Bavarian sides etc.  

Hope the sanctimonious, self-adoring, Celtic-loving brownshirts get destroyed.

VikingHeart

1 -1 at the moment. Lots of chances to both teams.

I've never been to Hamburg but would really like to go there and watch a match. I guess HSV would be the most Jambo friendly team considering their leanings towards Rangers. However I like St Pauli in the way that they address many important issues but they should really ditch the Celtic affiliation as it dosn't make any sense for freedom fighters to support the most corporate and narrowminded team in Scotland. Any Jambos that have visited/ living in Hamburg who can shed a light on this? 

Auld Reekin'
4 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

I've never been to Hamburg but would really like to go there and watch a match. I guess HSV would be the most Jambo friendly team considering their leanings towards Rangers. However I like St Pauli in the way that they address many important issues but they should really ditch the Celtic affiliation as it dosn't make any sense for freedom fighters to support the most corporate and narrowminded team in Scotland. Any Jambos that have visited/ living in Hamburg who can shed a light on this? 

:notsure:   Feck 'em both.

jambonian
20 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

"I guess HSV would be the most Jambo friendly team considering their leanings towards Rangers"

What leanings?

Smeltic or Hobo in the room me thinks.

Rangers died in 2012 incase you didn't know. Shame they came back in another guise. They think they are still Glasgow Rangers! lol

As for...whatever game it is you're on about, no-one cares.

VikingHeart

The Hamburg derby finished 2-2 for those who care about the score😀 I based this on reading somewhere that HSV displayed a never surrender tifo against Celtic when they met in a match some years ago which made me think that there were connections between HSV and the football club formerly known as Rangers/Sevco (better now?) and again that HSV fans might be friendlier towards Hearts fans than some of the celtic loving St Pauli fans. Furthermore I don't know if this is the case and therefore started the sentence with "I guess" as I was interested in some opinions on the Hamburg teams from a Jambo perspective.   

There is definitely a Rangers/Hamburg affiliation but it’s not at the level which would make any sort of difference in terms of where you’d be most welcome. I was in Hamburg last November and nobody cared who we supported, all just very happy to chat about football with us. HSV fans were very welcoming, nothing to do with being Hearts fans though.

Hamburg was once described to me as one of the best times of your life then you'll want to forget it as quickly as possible...

Didn't make sense until I'd experienced it for myself. A brilliant, weird and crazy place.

Edited by Alan_R
VikingHeart
33 minutes ago, Zaba said:

There is definitely a Rangers/Hamburg affiliation but it’s not at the level which would make any sort of difference in terms of where you’d be most welcome. I was in Hamburg last November and nobody cared who we supported, all just very happy to chat about football with us. HSV fans were very welcoming, nothing to do with being Hearts fans though.

Thanks for the input Zaba. What match(es) did you attend last november?

1 minute ago, Alan_R said:

Hamburg was once described to me as one of the best times of your life then you'll want to forget it as quickly as possible...

Didn't make sense until I'd experienced it for myself. A brilliant, weird and crazy place.

Sounds tempting in a strange kinda way Alan😀

And he’s not praying!
2 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

I guess HSV would be the most Jambo friendly team considering their leanings towards Rangers.

:spoton:

And there’s a few Hearts fans in Hamburg tonight 👍🏻

Edited by And he’s not praying!
VikingHeart
1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

SK Brann fan VH?

No Aalesunds FK (AaFk) from Ålesund , "the Orangemen of the North" or "the tango jerseys" as we actually call them. This year we've been so awful that there is a huge chance we're playing tier two football next year (sounds familiar?)      

1 hour ago, And he’s not praying! said:

:spoton:

And there’s a few Hearts fans in Hamburg tonight 👍🏻

Good to know AHNP How are the Jambos in Hamburg doing?

Auld Reekin'
1 minute ago, VikingHeart said:

No Aalesunds FK (AaFk) from Ålesund , "the Orangemen of the North" or "the tango jerseys" as we actually call them. This year we've been so awful that there is a huge chance we're playing tier two football next year (sounds familiar?)      

:jjockio:

You know about the Hearts / SK Brann connection though?

Roald Jensen of Hearts in 1969.

image.jpeg.008a3fba964e2a606cf4af52fc431e3f.jpeg

image.jpeg.7a8173f0b2c1b300785171f323a4a0e7.jpeg

Roald Jensen - The story of Hearts' Norwegian genius - The Terrace - Jambos  Kickback

VikingHeart

Every real football fan in Norway knows about the Kniksen connection but thanks for the info AR. In Norway it's quite common to have a local team and a British team (for most people an English side) as we've had access to live TV matches from the UK since 1969. Moreover when I tell people that I support the Famous 99,9% make some reference to Kniksen and some to Bjorn Maars Johnsen. There are many Aafk players with backgrounds in SK Brann/surrounding clubs including the current manager.       

Auld Reekin'
12 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

Every real football fan in Norway knows about the Kniksen connection but thanks for the info AR. In Norway it's quite common to have a local team and a British team (for most people an English side) as we've had access to live TV matches from the UK since 1969. Moreover when I tell people that I support the Famous 99,9% make some reference to Kniksen and some to Bjorn Maars Johnsen. There are many Aafk players with backgrounds in SK Brann/surrounding clubs including the current manager.       

:icon14:   Good man.

Just in case you haven't seen these:

http://skotskfotball.blogspot.com/2008/04/roald-jensen-legenden-lever-i-edinburgh.html

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/14/roald-kniksen-jensen-football-genius-norway-hearts-scotland

Incidentally, my father served in the British Army during WW2

(I arrived late and unexpectedly!  :o  :jj_facepalm:)

and his final posting was to Norway. He loved it there and was very impressed by the friendliness and hospitality of the Norwegians as well as the beauty of the scenery there. I know he would have really liked to go back, and to have taken my mother there, but money was always very tight and they were never able to do so. During post-war rationing, I was told that our family received parcels from Norway - containing things like butter and cheese - which were very welcome.

I've never been either (the nearest I've got was southern Sweden  :ermm: ), but maybe one day. If you could arrange to cut your beer prices, let's say by half, then I'll definitely make the effort!  ;)  🍺

VikingHeart

Thanks for the links and nice words about Norway AR. Nice to hear that your father enjoyed my country during his posting😀 I think that most people along the coast (especially Western and Southern Norway) might be more into Scottish football than the average Norwegian although I run into people all over country who supports Scottish teams. Our beer isn't the cheapest but we have a good selection of quality craft beer if that helps😎🍺      

13 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

Leanings towards Rangers? :bolt:

Only have leanings towards Hearts.

FinnBarr Saunders
8 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

Thanks for the links and nice words about Norway AR. Nice to hear that your father enjoyed my country during his posting😀 I think that most people along the coast (especially Western and Southern Norway) might be more into Scottish football than the average Norwegian although I run into people all over country who supports Scottish teams. Our beer isn't the cheapest but we have a good selection of quality craft beer if that helps😎🍺      

We have a good selection of quality craft beers here at a fraction of the price you'll pay in Norway, FTH and your wee pals in Hamburg.

Scheisse HSV! St Pauli ain't all bad, but I find it hard to wish them too well with the whole Celtic connection. I'll stick with Schalke. :) 

Bluesy1874

The union bears have a love in with Hamburg and Celtic with St Pauli.

Would rather they both lost! I too will stick with Schalke!

PhoenixHearts

Quite like St Pauli. Don't see anything wrong with them even if some people say they're off limits because of some nonsense celtic "friendship".

It's a total fabrication on Celtics part tbf. They cling to St Pauli in an attempt to make themselves seem virtuous despite them having just as many racist and homophobic supporters as every other club in Scotland.

I know many St Pauli fans that could not give a **** about Celtic.

Anyway, I too am quite fond of Schalke, though they seem to be making it very difficult for me to enjoy right now. I think perhaps they were inspired by our performance last season...

40 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

image.jpeg.99195d3fb898470acbaa520cc6b155b1.jpeg

Now yer talking 👌

Auld Reekin'
23 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Now yer talking 👌

:thumbsup:

VikingHeart

6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

We have a good selection of quality craft beers here at a fraction of the price you'll pay in Norway, FTH and your wee pals in Hamburg.

I can assure you getting back to Edinburgh for a Hearts game and postmatch pint of Stewarts/ other Scottish craft beer when it's sensible to go is still top priority FinnBarr.  As for my wee pals in Hamburg I would just as much rather watch an Altona 93 match instead as I find Hamburg to be an interesting city although it'll never be like Edinburgh😀

4 hours ago, Locky said:

Scheisse HSV! St Pauli ain't all bad, but I find it hard to wish them too well with the whole Celtic connection. I'll stick with Schalke. :) 

Nice to know Locky. I like some of the things St Pauli stand for but I agree on the Celtic thing.

4 hours ago, Bluesy1874 said:

The union bears have a love in with Hamburg and Celtic with St Pauli.

Would rather they both lost! I too will stick with Schalke!

I've been thinking about watching a Altona 93 match as well only to avoid the whole issue with the affiliation of the glasgow two.

43 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Quite like St Pauli. Don't see anything wrong with them even if some people say they're off limits because of some nonsense celtic "friendship".

It's a total fabrication on Celtics part tbf. They cling to St Pauli in an attempt to make themselves seem virtuous despite them having just as many racist and homophobic supporters as every other club in Scotland.

I know many St Pauli fans that could not give a **** about Celtic.

Anyway, I too am quite fond of Schalke, though they seem to be making it very difficult for me to enjoy right now. I think perhaps they were inspired by our performance last season...

See you point when it comes to St Pauli PH. Seems from this thread that many jambos like Schalke, why is that?  

18 hours ago, VikingHeart said:

Thanks for the input Zaba. What match(es) did you attend last november?

Sounds tempting in a strange kinda way Alan😀

I was over for HSV v Dresden, who’s fans are quite wild and as such, they decided not to serve bevvy at the game which was a total let down 😂

Enjoyed the whole experience though, great trip.

Auldbenches
15 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

I can assure you getting back to Edinburgh for a Hearts game and postmatch pint of Stewarts/ other Scottish craft beer when it's sensible to go is still top priority FinnBarr.  As for my wee pals in Hamburg I would just as much rather watch an Altona 93 match instead as I find Hamburg to be an interesting city although it'll never be like Edinburgh😀

Nice to know Locky. I like some of the things St Pauli stand for but I agree on the Celtic thing.

I've been thinking about watching a Altona 93 match as well only to avoid the whole issue with the affiliation of the glasgow two.

See you point when it comes to St Pauli PH. Seems from this thread that many jambos like Schalke, why is that?  

We played Schalke in 2004, europa league qualifier at murrayfield.  Might've been something to do with that.  I hadn't heard much about them until then  

2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

We played Schalke in 2004, europa league qualifier at murrayfield.  Might've been something to do with that.  I hadn't heard much about them until then  

Massive travelling support, very impressive team

Auldbenches
Just now, Macros said:

Hand a beer with four Schalke fans in murrayfield after the game.  They were sound guys.  Their whole support was impressive that night.  They just bounced for the whole 90 minutes.  I thought that was when hearts fans started tski g an interest in their results etc.  Didn't realise how big a club they were until we played them.  

VikingHeart
5 hours ago, Zaba said:

I was over for HSV v Dresden, who’s fans are quite wild and as such, they decided not to serve bevvy at the game which was a total let down 😂

Enjoyed the whole experience though, great trip.

5 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

2 hours ago, Macros said:

2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Hand a beer with four Schalke fans in murrayfield after the game.  They were sound guys.  Their whole support was impressive that night.  They just bounced for the whole 90 minutes.  I thought that was when hearts fans started tski g an interest in their results etc.  Didn't realise how big a club they were until we played them.  

Thanks for the info guys😀 I gather from this that the connection with Schalke started after the 2004 EL qualifier and has just rolled on from then.

Auldbenches
4 minutes ago, VikingHeart said:

Thanks for the info guys😀 I gather from this that the connection with Schalke started after the 2004 EL qualifier and has just rolled on from then.

Others might've had a connection before that, but that's the first I heard of any of our fans having a soft spot for them.  Sadly the group stages then meant only one game against teams so we never got the chance to play them there.  

VikingHeart
18 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Others might've had a connection before that, but that's the first I heard of any of our fans having a soft spot for them.  Sadly the group stages then meant only one game against teams so we never got the chance to play them there.  

One never know when the clubs will meet the next time. Too bad Haaland chose to play for Dortmund as he's on fire these days😀

Auldbenches
Just now, VikingHeart said:

One never know when the clubs will meet the next time. Too bad Haaland chose to play for Dortmund as he's on fire these days😀

I had to ask the Schalke fans who their local rivals were.  I was really impressed by their fans at murrayfield.