Best VPN?

hughesie27

Seems my IPTV supplier is advising us to get a VPN in order to stop blocks as around 80% of suppliers were affected yesterday seemingly.

What's peoples recommendations? I can get KeepSolid VPN for a lifetime sub at $40 but I've never heard of them. TBF I've only really seen ads for Nord VPN from memory.

47 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Seems my IPTV supplier is advising us to get a VPN in order to stop blocks as around 80% of suppliers were affected yesterday seemingly.

What's peoples recommendations? I can get KeepSolid VPN for a lifetime sub at $40 but I've never heard of them. TBF I've only really seen ads for Nord VPN from memory.

https://stacksocial.com/sales/vpnsecure-lifetime-subscription-2

VPN Secure.   I have used them for about 2 years.

I think I paid £30 or so for a lifetime sub.

You can now get it via the above for $20.   

Edinburgh's own Liberty Shield.com. Used for 6 years good customer service.

£6.99 pm

Edited by Turkishcap

Another vote for Surfshark. I'd used another Digibit? for a year or so but Surfshark far better options of connections, better app and works far better with the IPTV provider I'm using

Just started using Nord - seems pretty good so far. On a two year subscription which works out about £2/3 a month.

Was using Hola until they started trying to limit the free service - then I discovered they were dodgy AF 🙁.

jack D and coke
12 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Should also add, any VPN will need to be compatible with my amazon Fire Stick. Being Android i assume most are.

Surfshark app on the amazon store. I’ve used a few mate surfshark best I’ve used for the money and amount of devices. 
I know these things😉

48 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Surfshark app on the amazon store. I’ve used a few mate surfshark best I’ve used for the money and amount of devices. 
I know these things😉

Happy to take your word for it.

See you can get 2 years for the peice of 1 at the moment too.

Have you experienced blocking issues on your end?

Also, and I suspect I know the answer already, I assume with VPNs it only works on a network by network basis? For example my Dad also uses the same IPTV at his house, I can't just buy myself a Surfshark sub and apply it to his Firestick too?

Edited by hughesie27

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Happy to take your word for it.

See you can get 2 years for the peice of 1 at the moment too.

Have you experienced blocking issues on your end?

Also, and I suspect I know the answer already, I assume with VPNs it only works on a network by network basis? For example my Dad also uses the same IPTV at his house, I can't just buy myself a Surfshark sub and apply it to his Firestick too?

Yeah use my link and get an extra 30 days for both of us but up to you mate. 
One of my services has had blocks but my main one is fine. It’s all atm though things can change quickly. 
I have surfshark servers built into my app as well so hopefully be all good. It’s a moving target and beginning of the season it’s always the same. 
But yeah you can use at yours and your dads etc with the one sub. Just download the app onto the stick and log in👍🏼

23 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Yeah use my link and get an extra 30 days for both of us but up to you mate. 
One of my services has had blocks but my main one is fine. It’s all atm though things can change quickly. 
I have surfshark servers built into my app as well so hopefully be all good. It’s a moving target and beginning of the season it’s always the same. 
But yeah you can use at yours and your dads etc with the one sub. Just download the app onto the stick and log in👍🏼

PM or post the link bud and I'll do that later tonight. 

jack D and coke

PM or post the link bud and I'll do that later tonight. 

It’s in the first reply I sent to you further up the thread pal👍🏼

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s in the first reply I sent to you further up the thread pal👍🏼

FFS. Totally missed that at the time! Even answered my question regarding family 🤣.

Cheers.

10 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Never let me down so far keepsolid and can use on  4 devices 

Edited by Cyber

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Except for IPTV, is there any good reason to get a VPN for general internet use? I used to use one in China so that we could do some recruitment via Facebook after it god blocked, but otherwise not really clued up on them.

It hides your activity from your Internet provider and from any connection you're using.

I use digibit on my streaming devices and have it on my phone to protect me on public and work networks. 

10 hours ago, jonesy said:

Except for IPTV, is there any good reason to get a VPN for general internet use? I used to use one in China so that we could do some recruitment via Facebook after it god blocked, but otherwise not really clued up on them.

Other than privacy/security from malware attacks etc then probably no. Oh, you can watch other countries Netflix libraries...

Fitzroy Pointon

My IPTV provider sent me the link to a free one.  I don't hold out much hope it will work but worth a try before I pay for one.  Total blackout during the football last night and only came back online after the final whistle.  

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Other than privacy/security from malware attacks etc then probably no. Oh, you can watch other countries Netflix libraries...

Do you need a netflix account for each country?

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

My IPTV provider sent me the link to a free one.  I don't hold out much hope it will work but worth a try before I pay for one.  Total blackout during the football last night and only came back online after the final whistle.  

Don’t waste your time with free ones bud, seriously they’re all garbage. The download speeds you’ll get will make watching anything impossible. 

Fitzroy Pointon
Just now, jack D and coke said:

Don’t waste your time with free ones bud, seriously they’re all garbage. The download speeds you’ll get will make watching anything impossible. 

I did think that.  Probably just buy one tonight, might try that Surfshark.  

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I did think that.  Probably just buy one tonight, might try that Surfshark.  

Best one imo mate. Nord was good but they get hacked to death. I regularly see thousands of their accounts published on sites. Their security must be pish. 
Theres 30 days extra to each of us if you want to use this link bud. 
https://surfshark.club/friend/fV5QkfVd

Fitzroy Pointon
28 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Best one imo mate. Nord was good but they get hacked to death. I regularly see thousands of their accounts published on sites. Their security must be pish. 

Nice one cheers.  I'll set that up tonight.  

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Do you need a netflix account for each country?

Nope. Signed up to Surfshark with JD&C link below and tried it out and was able to get onto US Netflix on my firestick no bother. Not all VPN's have workarounds for Netlfix though.

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Signed up and installed Surfshark on my Firestick. No issues but the best speeds I seem to be bale to get when using are about 20mb when I'm usually 150mb+. Is that normal? That was trying Ireland and Glasgow servers. USA was down to 2mb.

It also seems to be struggling to connect to any servers on my laptop.

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Nope. Signed up to Surfshark with JD&C link below and tried it out and was able to get onto US Netflix on my firestick no bother. Not all VPN's have workarounds for Netlfix though.

Signed up and installed Surfshark on my Firestick. No issues but the best speeds I seem to be bale to get when using are about 20mb when I'm usually 150mb+. Is that normal? That was trying Ireland and Glasgow servers. USA was down to 2mb.

It also seems to be struggling to connect to any servers on my laptop.

Hmm that’s not right mate. I barely drop speeds at all and I connect to Netherlands etc. 

I don’t have any probs on my pc either. 
What are you using to speed test?

21 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Should also add, any VPN will need to be compatible with my amazon Fire Stick. Being Android i assume most are.

You can get nord app for the firestick.

I have used NordVPN for a few years and been happy with it. Can get 6 devices with one subscription.

33 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Hmm that’s not right mate. I barely drop speeds at all and I connect to Netherlands etc. 

I don’t have any probs on my pc either. 
What are you using to speed test?

Analiti on Firestick. Shoots right back up to 150ish as soon as i turn off the VPN.  

On my phone the change isn't as drastic but still reduces a 210 non VPN to 75 with VPN using what they say is the fastest server in Glasgow.

Edited by hughesie27

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

Analiti on Firestick. Shoots right back up to 150ish as soon as i turn off the VPN.  

On my phone the change isn't as drastic but still reduces a 210 non VPN to 75 with VPN using what they say is the fastest server in Glasgow.

Hmm I’ll test when i get home tonight but I barely lose anything from my normal of 70mbps on BT. You’ve got 30 days to change your mind anyway if its not working well for you. 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

Hmm I’ll test when i get home tonight but I barely lose anything from my normal of 70mbps on BT. You’ve got 30 days to change your mind anyway if its not working well for you. 

👌 Will play about with it and try to figure out the PC issue.

Just tested on my phone and get no speed difference with Surfshark on or off, 6 different speed tests and all staying roughly the same. 

Stay away from PureVPN, their app did the worst thing it could do - report that you're protected when you're not.

They were prompt with my refund to be fair.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Just tested on my phone and get no speed difference with Surfshark on or off, 6 different speed tests and all staying roughly the same. 

Cheers. Mines are consistent as well but just with a huge reduction. About 70-100 on mobile with it on. And 15-20 on Firestick with it on.

Still struggling to connect at all on PC, although it did initially work it won't at all now.

Tried changing the protocols but no luck.

Cheers. Mines are consistent as well but just with a huge reduction. About 70-100 on mobile with it on. And 15-20 on Firestick with it on.

Still struggling to connect at all on PC, although it did initially work it won't at all now.

Just done a test on my fire stick and like you it drops significantly to about 30Mbps. 

6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Just done a test on my fire stick and like you it drops significantly to about 30Mbps. 

Perhaps the server itself throttling access speeds?

Having said that it would presumably do the same to a mobile.

Edited by hughesie27

13 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Perhaps the server itself throttling access speeds?

Having said that it would presumably do the same to a mobile.

I don’t know enough about such things to be honest do not sure on what would cause the issue other than it’s fire stick issue. Tried a few different servers and all about the same speed, a fraction of what my connection is capable of. 

jack D and coke

Testing my connections at home. Without VPN on atm I’m getting around 65mbps. With pretty much any server it’s a couple below that, but nothing major. The lowest it goes is with US servers which go down to 58mbps. Strange it’s dropping so much for you. 
Any luck with the PC?

36 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Testing my connections at home. Without VPN on atm I’m getting around 65mbps. With pretty much any server it’s a couple below that, but nothing major. The lowest it goes is with US servers which go down to 58mbps. Strange it’s dropping so much for you. 
Any luck with the PC?

I'm going to delete and install again later to see if PC helps. Would be good to be able to test speeds on that.

jack D and coke
24 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Not had a chance yet. Will keep you updated though 👍

I ran a few tests on servers all over the place last night and although dropped on some of the further flung places nothing like the drops you’re getting. Maybe give their live chat customer service a shout and see if there’s something they can advise with👍🏼

9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I ran a few tests on servers all over the place last night and although dropped on some of the further flung places nothing like the drops you’re getting. Maybe give their live chat customer service a shout and see if there’s something they can advise with👍🏼

Aye I tried them with that on the Firestick and all they could suggest was cha ging protocols which never helped. They said the same for PC. Other option is to mess about with DNS settings.

jack D and coke
15 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Aye I tried them with that on the Firestick and all they could suggest was cha ging protocols which never helped. They said the same for PC. Other option is to mess about with DNS settings.

Really strange one. Who knows what affects these feckin things at times...