Driveway landscape

hughesie27

Looking to get a driveway added to our front garden and wondering what a likely quote would be. 

Space is about 5x5m and will require basic slabs and those wee red chips for 2 car spaces (slabs for wheels with chips surrounding. Guessing it would be about 20 or so slabs for the job. The ground is pretty uneven just now so will require levelling out with a digger I'd imagine. 

Any rough guesses for those who have had a similar job recently?

Howdy Doody Jambo

You could just get a couple of bulk bags of red stone chips from a builders merchant, delivered from St Andrew's building supplies much easier about £150 all in I would think, job done 

heartsfc_fan
8 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

You could just get a couple of bulk bags of red stone chips from a builders merchant, delivered from St Andrew's building supplies much easier about £150 all in I would think, job done 

This. Done similar in my driveway.

Does the job and I've only just topped it up after 5 or so years with a 900kg bag.

highlandjambo3

Yup.....gravel/stone chips is the way ahead....put a rim/thin kerb In a deep bed of cement (haunching) around the area, it’s fairly easy to do, make sure kerb area is low enough to allow your cars to go over without damaging the kerb, If you don’t kerb the perimeter you will have gravel all over the shop.  Once the gravel is in job done, your car tyres will move the gravel around a bit but just rake it back level every few months.  I have a gravel driveway big enough for 4 cars.....its very low maintenance, a good skoosh of weed killer in spring keeps it clear.  If you go down the slabbing route, they will move, crack, lift and sink.

Cheers for the replies are you suggesting its just a case of dumping as many chips on the existing grass as it takes to make it somewhat level? 

highlandjambo3
52 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Cheers for the replies are you suggesting its just a case of dumping as many chips on the existing grass as it takes to make it somewhat level? 

Yes.....I’d recommend an edge though......take your time with this and make it deep and strong......haunching guidelines on YouTube 

heartsfc_fan
3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

You could dig the grass out (we did) if you really wanted.

Or you could put a membrane over the grass just to stop it growing.

highlandjambo3
9 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

You could dig the grass out (we did) if you really wanted.

Or you could put a membrane over the grass just to stop it growing.

You can if you wish but a membrane is not really needed.  The membrane thing is (supposed) to prevent weeds/grass growing however, the stone chips will do that anyway as they block out sunlight and prevent growth.  However, don’t ever think your gravel will be weed free, no matter what you do weeds will appear (bird droppings containing seeds etc), as I said earlier a good skoosh of weed killer every year (March ish) should see your driveway clear.

heartsfc_fan
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You can if you wish but a membrane is not really needed.  The membrane thing is (supposed) to prevent weeds/grass growing however, the stone chips will do that anyway as they block out sunlight and prevent growth.  However, don’t ever think your gravel will be weed free, no matter what you do weeds will appear (bird droppings containing seeds etc), as I said earlier a good skoosh of weed killer every year (March ish) should see your driveway clear.

👍

Yeah we don't get many weeds. I usually just pull them out by hand. Perhaps need to check every couple of months and pull the odd stray one out.

The good thing with stone chips aswel is you can walk in them whatever the weather and not slip.

Despite what folk say, chips are a pain in the arse mate!

They get EVERYWHERE! on the main road and  pavement outside your gaff. When they wear down where your car wheels go it looks shit and when you walk or drive on them they are noisy. Plus (eventually) the weeds will get through them even if you do have a barrier . I dont know how but the wee resilient B'stards seem to find a way. And then you will have to buy a coupe of bags every year to top up the ones that went AWOL.

Slabs/Cement/Tar/Monobloc etc the way to go. Do it proper. 

18 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Despite what folk say, chips are a pain in the arse mate!

They get EVERYWHERE! on the main road and  pavement outside your gaff. When they wear down where your car wheels go it looks shit and when you walk or drive on them they are noisy. Plus (eventually) the weeds will get through them even if you do have a barrier . I dont know how but the wee resilient B'stards seem to find a way. And then you will have to buy a coupe of bags every year to top up the ones that went AWOL.

Slabs/Cement/Tar/Monobloc etc the way to go. Do it proper. 

Have to agree with this. Unless you are on a very tight budget I’d recommend anything but chips. They look, sound and as a drive Are horrendous, imo. 

Mono block if properly done is the way to go (maintenance is minimal and a wire brush to clean out weeds and a bit of weed killer does the job).

Have seen more recently the same technique but with bigger stones - looks great plus less maintenance.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

Mono block if properly done is the way to go (maintenance is minimal and a wire brush to clean out weeds and a bit of weed killer does the job).

Have seen more recently the same technique but with bigger stones - looks great plus less maintenance.

I'd agree with this. As long as they sub base is deep enough for your ground type and properly compacted you'll have no problems.

22 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Think we are definitely going for the slabs and chips combo. Monoblock not in our budget really. 

We are getting our drive done in a couple of weeks but currently have exactly what you are planning, was like that when we bought the house. The chips are annoying as **** so be warned. Also if the budget is tight get someone to do the levelling and slab work and spread the chips yourself. Will save you a few quid and it’s an easy job not worth paying someone to do. 

If you have no one in mind try ratedpeople.com and mybuilder.com as they can be very competitive especially for a relatively easy job. Just make sure they have plenty of positive reviews. 

23 minutes ago, Dazo said:

We are getting our drive done in a couple of weeks but currently have exactly what you are planning, was like that when we bought the house. The chips are annoying as **** so be warned. Also if the budget is tight get someone to do the levelling and slab work and spread the chips yourself. Will save you a few quid and it’s an easy job not worth paying someone to do. 

If you have no one in mind try ratedpeople.com and mybuilder.com as they can be very competitive especially for a relatively easy job. Just make sure they have plenty of positive reviews. 

Cheers will have a look at that. 

The chips shouldn't really get in the way or be moving too much unless we miss the slabs driving in! Will just keep on top of weedsthat sneak through.

Neighbours have recently had this done with purple slate chips instead of those wee red ones. Looks quite smart but I don’t know what it cost them